· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 10-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
stickx

Default Best SSD for Dell Latitude D630 with Win XP

This has probably been asked many times in these forums, but I can't seem to find a good thread. Maybe they are all too old .

I have a Dell Latitude D630 laptop at work with Win XP and want to upgrade my 5400rpm 80GB hard drive to an SSD that is about 128GB. This thing is excruciatingly slowwwww. My main concern is the Win XP and compatibility with the SSD (no trim?). I am thinking of the Samsung 830 or Intel 520 based on their reliability and the software that they have to maintain the performance of the SSD under Win XP. Any help is appreciated.
stickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
OlafSicky
Platinum Member

Any intel will do they have a trim function in their toolbox
OlafSicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
StarTech

SAMSUNG 830. It has toolbox also
StarTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Compman55

Dump windows XP for Windows 7. That model should support the x86 version perfectly if you get the latest BIOS. I run a Sammy 830 128GB model on my D820 and it works fantastic. Brought it to life. It feels like my new i5/4GB/250 7200RPM dell at work.

If you need XP, place the old hard drive in a latitude D series 2nd bay SATA hard drive enclosure and boot from it if needed. That what I did.
-Server: G2020 | 8GB | 500GB WD Black (OS)| 2x Seagate 4TB | 2x Segate 2TB |
Compman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
Mr. President

I've been stresstesting the Samsung on a D630 w/ XP here at work. So far I've not run into any issues. The TRIM feature in their software seems to work well also as I've written ~1TB over the course of the past week without performance degradation that it didn't fix. And that's without any overprovisioning and two cycles of full disk encryption and decryption.

The only real issue I ran into is with encryption as the performance falloff was pretty drastic. But we also run an outdated version of the software so it may not apply.
Mr. President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
stickx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compman55 View Post
Dump windows XP for Windows 7.
Unfortunately it is a company PC and I can't upgrade to Wisdows 7 (:
Old 10-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
stickx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. President View Post
I've been stresstesting the Samsung on a D630 w/ XP here at work. So far I've not run into any issues. The TRIM feature in their software seems to work well also as I've written ~1TB over the course of the past week without performance degradation that it didn't fix. And that's without any overprovisioning and two cycles of full disk encryption and decryption.

The only real issue I ran into is with encryption as the performance falloff was pretty drastic. But we also run an outdated version of the software so it may not apply.
Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for. I don't have any excryption so that shouldn't be a problem. I was leaning towards the 830 since I am not all that confident in the Sandforce controllers, even with Intel behind it.

I haven't posted much here, but this forum is a wealth of knowledge when you need it.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
stickx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. President View Post
I've been stresstesting the Samsung on a D630 w/ XP here at work.
Another question - are their any bois or driver changes I need to make to the D630 function properly with the 830?
Old 10-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
Mr. President

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickx View Post
Another question - are their any bois or driver changes I need to make to the D630 function properly with the 830?
It's a bit difficult question to answer without knowing if these are meaningful terms to you but, generally speaking, no. You do want to enable AHCI mode in the BIOS (for a variety of reasons) but, for the installer to recognize the hard disk, the XP install disc needs to include the driver. The Dell install disc should hold the correct driver but you will otherwise need to make a slipstreamed copy. I already had such a disc so (for me) it was only a matter of enabling the feature in the BIOS.

AHCI mode is called something else in the Dell BIOS but I can't remember the correct term. It's probably 'enhanced' or something like that while IDE mode would be 'compatibility' or 'legacy' or somesuch.
Mr. President is offline   Reply With Quote