· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 09-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
Arsinek

Default How do you know if a phone will get 4g on Straight Talk?

Im looking for phones that can get 4g on Straight Talk, how do I figure that out?
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB
-Cooler MasterHaf 922
-SeaSonic X750 750W Modular 80 PLUS GOLD
-Samsung TOC T240 Rose Black 24"
-Razer Lachesis
-Razer Black Widow Ultimate

Last edited by Arsinek; 09-25-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Arsinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
jpeyton
SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

First, we should define 4G.

In the US, depending on the carrier, we have at least 3 types of 4G or pseudo-4G.

LTE - This is true 4G, and also the fastest of the options. Verizon has the biggest LTE network, followed AT&T, Sprint is bringing up the rear, and T-Mobile has no LTE at this time (coming in 2013). There are also other smaller carriers that offer LTE. Straight Talk does not have LTE at this time. Speeds are 10MB/s down avg, 30MB/s down peak.

WiMAX - Only offered by Sprint (and a few smaller carriers), but not offered by Straight Talk. It's faster than 3G but slower than LTE (LTE has average speeds that are 2-3x faster (up to 6x faster peak speeds). Speeds are 3MB/s down avg, 6-10MB/s down peak.

HSDPA - Pseudo-4G, it can be as fast as WiMAX in certain markets, but is not as fast as LTE. Offered by AT&T, T-Mobile, a lot of smaller carriers, and Straight Talk. Speeds are 1-3MB/s down avg, 6-8MB/s down peak.

Most smartphones made in the last year for AT&T/T-Mobile will have HSDPA. Some like the Galaxy S3 will have HSDPA and LTE, so using it on Straight Talk will default to HSDPA.

Last edited by jpeyton; 09-25-2012 at 12:39 PM.
jpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
Arsinek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeyton View Post

In the US, depending on the carrier, we have at least 3 types of 4G or pseudo-4G.

LTE - This is true 4G, and also the fastest of the options. Verizon has the biggest LTE network, followed AT&T, Sprint is bringing up the rear, and T-Mobile has no LTE at this time (coming in 2013). There are also other smaller carriers that offer LTE. Straight Talk does not have LTE at this time. Speeds are 10MB/s down avg, 30MB/s down peak.

WiMAX - Only offered by Sprint (and a few smaller carriers), but not offered by Straight Talk. It's faster than 3G but slower than LTE (LTE has average speeds that are 2-3x faster (up to 6x faster peak speeds). Speeds are 3MB/s down avg, 6-10MB/s down peak.

HSDPA - Pseudo-4G, it can be as fast as WiMAX in certain markets, but is not as fast as LTE. Offered by AT&T, T-Mobile, a lot of smaller carriers, and Straight Talk. Speeds are 1-3MB/s down avg, 6-8MB/s down peak.

Most smartphones made in the last year for AT&T/T-Mobile will have HSDPA. Some like the Galaxy S3 will have HSDPA and LTE, so using it on Straight Talk will default to HSDPA.
So what technology does Straight Talk have? They say they have 4g.
-Cooler MasterHaf 922
-Razer Lachesis
Old 09-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
jpeyton
SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Quote:

Last edited by jpeyton; 09-25-2012 at 03:35 PM.
jpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Jinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsinek View Post
to answer your question, straight talk uses hspda+ as "4g"
tmobiles lte network hasn't rolled out yet.
Jinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
basslover1
Golden Member

Quote:
They use both AT&T and T-Mo's networks. You pick the SIM depending on who has the better coverage in your area, or whether or not your phone is only compatible with one network.

Upside is that you currently use AT&T, you won't need to unlock the phone for use on ST, because it's still AT&T's network.

To be clear ST, like both T-Mo and AT&T, call their HSDPA network "4"G.

HTPC: Intel Pentium G3220 | Gigabyte GA-H81M-H | 4GB G.Skill Value DDR3 1333 | 120GB Crucial M500 SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Ceton InfiniTV 4 | Corsair CXM 430W PSU
basslover1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
antef

I see nowhere where ST claims to offer 4G. They put you on AT&T's HSPA network, beyond that they make no guarantees of HSPA+ or 4G. With that said I use their service and have seen up to about 4-4.5 Mbps and am happy with it.
Intel Core i5-2500K | ASRock Z68 Pro3-M | 4x4 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600 | PowerColor PCS+ Radeon HD 7950 | Crucial m4 128 GB | Samsung SpinPoint 500 GB | Seasonic G Series 450W | SilverStone PS07 | Win 8.1 Pro
antef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #8
Arsinek

Quote:
Originally Posted by antef View Post
I see nowhere where ST claims to offer 4G. They put you on AT&T's HSPA network, beyond that they make no guarantees of HSPA+ or 4G. With that said I use their service and have seen up to about 4-4.5 Mbps and am happy with it.
"Bring your T-Mobile compatible 4G phone and keep your 4G service"

http://www.straighttalksim.com/
-Cooler MasterHaf 922
-Razer Lachesis
Old 09-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
Arsinek

Quote:

Does this mean Boost mobile and Virgin Mobile's 4g is WiMAX? I believe they both use Sprints network.
-Cooler MasterHaf 922
-Razer Lachesis
Old 09-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #10
SAWYER
Lifer

Quote:
Reading, how does it work???
SAWYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
swanysto
Golden Member

Quote:
Does this mean Boost mobile and Virgin Mobile's 4g is WiMAX? I believe they both use Sprints network.
Yes, and unless you are only using them for text and calls, I would stay clear. I am on Sprint and it is really bad. It didn't used to be, but the last few months has been pure misery. WiMAX still works for me, but it is VERY spotty, and unstable.

I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your computer history if you die.
swanysto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #12
Arsinek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWYER View Post
Reading, how does it work???

Trolling, how does it work???
-Cooler MasterHaf 922
-Razer Lachesis
Old 09-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #13
SAWYER
Lifer

Well damn what do you expect, the first reply laid it out
Old 09-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #14
Arsinek

Quote:
Well damn what do you expect, the first reply laid it out

I should expect trolls, got it.
-Cooler MasterHaf 922
-Razer Lachesis
Old 09-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #15
SAWYER
Lifer

Ok not sure why you are getting butturt over a light humor comment, points stands jpeyton laid it out not sure how you cant understand it
Old 09-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #16
Arsinek

Quote:
Ok not sure why you are getting butturt over a light humor comment, points stands jpeyton laid it out not sure how you cant understand it
Yes, and I responded with some light humor of my own. Why youre still talking, I dont know. Did you have anything useful to add to the thread or are you strictly a troll?
-Cooler MasterHaf 922
-Razer Lachesis
Old 09-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #17
SAWYER
Lifer

"trolling" I suppose
Old 09-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #18
Arsinek

>.<
-Cooler MasterHaf 922
-Razer Lachesis
Old 01-25-2013, 05:19 AM   #19
GKC

Default Sprint

Sprint has been behind for so long with 4G it is shameful. Especially with a $10 MONTHLY premium data charge!
I live about 20 MINTUES north of LTE service and recently purchased the Galaxy Note II. Debating returning the device as Sprint service has declined severely over the past year. Absolutely horrible service. The Galaxy Note II is a fabulous device but it is near useless without WiFi.
Meanwhile AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon all have 4G or LTE in my area, actually right in my neighborhood!
Have considered Straighttalk but wasn't sure if the service would be any better. Any suggestions?
GKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #20
s44
Diamond Member

Quote:

LTE - This is true 4G
Wrong. No currently deployed technology meets the original definition of "4g". Furthermore, DC-HSPA+ on T-Mobile can be just as fast or faster than current versions of LTE (though not as good on latency).

Both beat the pants off of Sprint WiMax, of course.

As for Straight Talk, it will run on whatever version of HSPA is offered, but only T-Mobile has enabled the DC version so its version of Straight Talk will be faster than the AT&T-based Straight Talk. There are rumors of Straight Talk enabling LTE soon, but it hasn't happened yet.

Last edited by s44; 01-25-2013 at 07:33 AM.
s44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #21
Midwayman
Diamond Member

I connect on HSPA+ all the time on straight talk. In theory its like 18 down on ATT and something like 42 on Tmobile. Not that you ever get those speeds.

The main issue with straight talk is that you'll get booted if you use more than about 2gb a month or more than 100mb a day for several days. If you're a heavy data user straight talk isn't for you anyways.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #22
ImDonly1
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKC View Post
Sprint has been behind for so long with 4G it is shameful. Especially with a $10 MONTHLY premium data charge!
I live about 20 MINTUES north of LTE service and recently purchased the Galaxy Note II. Debating returning the device as Sprint service has declined severely over the past year. Absolutely horrible service. The Galaxy Note II is a fabulous device but it is near useless without WiFi.
Meanwhile AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon all have 4G or LTE in my area, actually right in my neighborhood!
Have considered Straighttalk but wasn't sure if the service would be any better. Any suggestions?
If you don't get data what's the point of a smartphone and a $80/mo plan? I would switch to tmobile or straight talk depending on your needs. If you use more data or stream a alot then go tmobile. If you just browse websites then straight talk AT&T is ok.
ImDonly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #23
Muyoso

Quote:

No network is hitting the kind of speeds you posted. Mb, not MB. Also, your numbers are VERY generous to LTE, esp Verizon's LTE and VERY much wrong on HSDPA due to Tmobile not being AT&T.

Also, for anyone interested:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405596,00.asp

30 cities, all the major networks tested. Straight Talk uses either Tmobile or AT&T, so you can see which would give you better service in your city. Also, remember, these numbers are BEFORE the iPhone was released with LTE, so those LTE numbers will be higher than what you would see in reality today.
Muyoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #24
Muyoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwayman View Post
I connect on HSPA+ all the time on straight talk. In theory its like 18 down on ATT and something like 42 on Tmobile. Not that you ever get those speeds.

The main issue with straight talk is that you'll get booted if you use more than about 2gb a month or more than 100mb a day for several days. If you're a heavy data user straight talk isn't for you anyways.
From what I have heard, you only get kicked off of Straight Talk if you are using AT&T Straight Talk. Tmobile doesn't seem to have any data restrictions at all, as people use ridiculous amounts. At least that is what people say. Many claim to be using 20-70gb a month in data without even being throttled.
Muyoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #25
ImDonly1
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyoso View Post
From what I have heard, you only get kicked off of Straight Talk if you are using AT&T Straight Talk. Tmobile doesn't seem to have any data restrictions at all, as people use ridiculous amounts. At least that is what people say. Many claim to be using 20-70gb a month in data without even being throttled.
Highly skeptical of 20-70GB on Straight Talk t-mobile SIM.
I believe I read 10GB.

Att SIM doesn't get you kicked off anymore. They throttle now to 120kbps speeds.
ImDonly1 is offline   Reply With Quote