I use Avast free edition.
MontyAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
berryracer
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seepy83 View Post
Microsoft Security Essentials.
DO NOT under any circumstance install that crap.

Microsoft Security Essentials is NOT a full fledged Antivirus, it is more like an anti spyware program NOT a real antivirus (just a little improved over the useless Windows Defender) but has slipped many viruses on systems I've tested it on many times. And it is the worst when it comes to cleaning a system.

That is exactly why you don't even see it mentioned in the top security tests suites.

What's worse, is that thousands of people *think* they are protected not knowing what is lurking behind the scenes or whether or not their system is really clean.

The best Free Antivirus is avast! Free Antivirus hands down. It is light, very good at detections (Even much better than many paid AVs) and has an Auto Sandbox feature built in. Let's say you launch some known app but avast! detects that it is trying to access critical areas of your system, it automatically sets the app to launch in a contained sand box, where you may run it to preview it but any changes to the system cannot be made sine all that app has is the little virtual environment it is running in (the sandbox)

you really can't get better in a free antivirus than avast!
GPU: Dual GeForce GTX 770M SLI 6 GB GDDR5 RAM
Storage: 2x Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD + Samsung 840 EVO 1TB mSATA SSD
berryracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #6
nemesismk2
Diamond Member

I currently use Microsoft Security Essentials so i am interested if AVG is better
nemesismk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
LOL_Wut_Axel
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryracer View Post

Microsoft Security Essentials is NOT a full fledged Antivirus, it is more like an anti spyware program NOT a real antivirus (just a little improved over the useless Windows Defender) but has slipped many viruses on systems I've tested it on many times. And it is the worst when it comes to cleaning a system.

That is exactly why you don't even see it mentioned in the top security tests suites.

What's worse, is that thousands of people *think* they are protected not knowing what is lurking behind the scenes or whether or not their system is really clean.

The best Free Antivirus is avast! Free Antivirus hands down. It is light, very good at detections (Even much better than many paid AVs) and has an Auto Sandbox feature built in. Let's say you launch some known app but avast! detects that it is trying to access critical areas of your system, it automatically sets the app to launch in a contained sand box, where you may run it to preview it but any changes to the system cannot be made sine all that app has is the little virtual environment it is running in (the sandbox)

Can you provide any actual, hard proof of this?
Core i7-3770K | ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 | OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Boost Dual-X, PNY GeForce GTX 465 | 16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3-1600 | Corsair RM750 | Corsair Carbide 400R
LOL_Wut_Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
mikeymikec
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Wut_Axel View Post
Can you provide any actual, hard proof of this?
+1

I've seen every anti-virus package miss stuff that another detects, including MSE (both scenarios). I use MSE. I used to use Avast.

Also, Avast's auto-sandbox feature is one of the biggest own-goals of a security product I've ever seen.

Last edited by mikeymikec; 09-02-2012 at 09:10 AM.
mikeymikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
dguy6789
Diamond Member

Quote:

Capital B capital S.
dguy6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
dguy6789
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seepy83 View Post
Microsoft Security Essentials.
+1
dguy6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
BlueWeasel
Lifer

Another vote for MSE.
BlueWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
xSauronx
Lifer

mse is easy on system resources...but its going to miss the same things other people miss, which in my experience, are what i see most:

shit users click and run.

my dad gets something on his pc every 3 or 4 months. ive tried avast, avg and mse. i finally just took advantage of the parental controls on his new router and block malicious sites and categories

Heatware |
xSauronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
FoxFifth

One more vote for MSE!
FoxFifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
seepy83
Platinum Member

Quote:

You're free to have your own opinion, but I know plenty of IT and Info Sec professionals that recommend MSE for small business/home users. It's not suitable for medium/large businesses that require centralized management and reporting, but it is excellent for someone looking for A/V for their personal computer.
seepy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
Auric
Diamond Member

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...s-software.htm
Old 09-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #16
corkyg
Peripherals

Microsoft Security Essentials plus Malwarebytes.

Have used all the others - they slow down boot time and are not efficient updaters on a daily basis.

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
corkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #17
Nothinman
Elite Member

All of them are so close to worthless it's not funny. Of all of the machines that I've seen get infected with the drive-by infections presenting things like fake AV all of them have had a commercial AV installed which couldn't remove it and most of the time wouldn't even detect all of it.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
mikeymikec
Diamond Member

Fake AV seems to have security products largely stumped, this is true. Occasionally I've seen a machine with fake AV, then the security product gets an update which detects the fake AV and gets rid of it.

I think a very different ball game started when fake AV came along - I think this marked the rise of malware making money and being sold to others to make variations to make more money. I don't think most security vendors have found a way to counter this yet.

Even more worryingly, I'm seeing more fake AV products achieve admin privs resulting in deeper infections on Vista/7 machines.
mikeymikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #19
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymikec View Post
Fake AV seems to have security products largely stumped, this is true. Occasionally I've seen a machine with fake AV, then the security product gets an update which detects the fake AV and gets rid of it.

I think a very different ball game started when fake AV came along - I think this marked the rise of malware making money and being sold to others to make variations to make more money. I don't think most security vendors have found a way to counter this yet.

Even more worryingly, I'm seeing more fake AV products achieve admin privs resulting in deeper infections on Vista/7 machines.
That's the whole point. From a software standpoint fake AV malware isn't anything new per se, it's just a new face on old exploits which go one step further and ask for your CC# and other information as well.

Viruses have had numerous variants since it's inception and AV has always struggled to keep up. They're attempting to create something like the human immune system except that it only knows about the malware for which they already have signatures. When a new one comes a long it just lets it go because it's not a match. So you're effectively always using an outdated list of signatures now matter recently they were last updated.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #20
xgsound
Golden Member

The three A's (AVG, Avira, and Avast) seem to have become bloated over the last few years. I used to use Avira which worked smoothly after the bootup testing. Then I went with MSE and found it satisfactory until recently. Lately it has begun to generally bog down XP on some single core machines and particularly netbooks.

As to which one is least demanding, they seem to take turns being the lightest. I'm getting ready to try Avira again.

Jim
xgsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #21
gevorg
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothinman View Post
All of them are so close to worthless it's not funny. Of all of the machines that I've seen get infected with the drive-by infections presenting things like fake AV all of them have had a commercial AV installed which couldn't remove it and most of the time wouldn't even detect all of it.
This, to a certain degree. A good firewall like Privatefirewall has better odds at detecting something wrong.
gevorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #22
0___________0

I'm certain that Avast has better detection rates than MSE, but it pays for this with more false positives. Although for removal, I think Avast is pretty crappy. To my knowledge MSE doesn't implement any self defense, I know you used to be able to terminate it with a simple call to NtTerminateProcess, which every other product out there hooks (there's still 2 dozen ways to kill them anyways). Avast isn't great on behavior based detection, but its better than MSE. I give MSE the nod on speed.
0___________0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #23
Mem
Lifer

I prefer Avast to MSE,light on resources ,gaming /silent mode options,also use Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware as backup plus common sense,never had a virus so far.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #24
PowerYoga
Diamond Member

where are you folks going that you detect viruses on a regular basis? I've used 3 different kinds of virus scanners in the past 10 years and the only time anything suspicious came up was when I'm using game trainers such as cheatengine (which are false positives).
Old 09-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #25
bigboxes
Golden Member

MSE. Free, light and effective.

Of course, I use a handful of other spyware software to augment. Had only one problem in the last three years, but that was my own fault. When you download *ahem* things on purpose you occasionally will get burned. Normally, I fix other people's issues, but this time I had to seek outside assistance. Most problems can be avoided through common sense. Since that is lacking most people I keep acquiring new clients on a regular basis.
|| Cherry G80 || Windows 7 x64 Ultimate || WD Raptor 74GB ||
|| Antec P183 || LinksKey 4 port KVM || NEC 20WMGX2 ||
|| Creative Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeMusic || Swans M-200 || Go Huskers!
bigboxes is offline   Reply With Quote