· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 08-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
Googer
Lifer

Default Team Fortress 2 Delete?

Valve seems to have a problem with consuming my computers resources wiht out my approval. They act as if steam is teh only program that matters and hordes hard drive space, ram, and tons of CPU time. I have removed Team Fortress 2 three times in less than 36 hours. This is about the 5th or 6th time this year I have gone through this. I dont like TF2. I am tired of it wasting my time. Is there any way to keep it from coming back and hording more drive space?
Googer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Dankk
Diamond Member

Right-click on TF2 in Steam, and click "Delete Local Content".
SeaSonic M12II Bronze 620W PSU

Steam
Dankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Kalmah
Diamond Member

Yeah, it sounds like you're uninstalling it improperly(at least for Steam to realize it has been uninstalled) therefore Steam is re-installing it to 'fix' it.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
gothamhunter
Diamond Member

+1 would read again.

My WTS thread
gothamhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
dighn
Lifer

what the hell are you doing to get rid of it?
dighn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
Googer
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dighn View Post
what the hell are you doing to get rid of it?
You must be a TF2 fan, because I am not. I have no reason to keep something I didnt buy or ask for. Read my statement below or above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessThanDan View Post
Right-click on TF2 in Steam, and click "Delete Local Content".

I should be more clear. I have clicked delete local content 3 times in 36 hours and about 6 times this year. It keeps coming back and consuming multiple GB of storage which wastes my time when it comes to a virus scan, defrag, and having to delete to free up space.

I went through the same thing last year having to remove this "malware" multiple times on my previous computer. Retpeat that statement for the year before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post
Yeah, it sounds like you're uninstalling it improperly(at least for Steam to realize it has been uninstalled) therefore Steam is re-installing it to 'fix' it.
I use the same "Delete Local Content" process for TF2 as any other game, includeing CS:S (which hasn't reinstalled in over a year), Day of Deafeat, and other non-valve software that goes away when I tell it to. Team Fortress 2 is free and the one thing it doesnt have in common with the others I paid for is, valve wants you to own it so you will buy those stupid comunity made ala-carte items that are so profitable.

EDIT: As we speak; After removing TF2, my steam folder consumes 296+ GB of storage on my 1TB hard drive. TF2 Tips the Scales at a default install size of 6,792 MB (6.8GB)

Last edited by Googer; 08-14-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #7
gothamhunter
Diamond Member

Do you have Garry's Mod installed?

My WTS thread
Old 08-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
Dankk
Diamond Member

That's strange. First off, make sure TF2 is deleted (and hasn't come back yet).

Now try this: Navigate to wherever Steam is installed (by default, this is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam).

From there, go into \steamapps\(your username)\. There you should see folders for each of your different source games (Counter Strike, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress 2, etc, etc). If you see a folder for Team Fortress 2, then delete it.

Go back to your main Steam installation folder. Delete everything in that folder, EXCEPT Steam.exe and the \steamapps\ folder. Seriously just clear the whole folder out, but leave those two things.

Now restart Steam. Steam will update and re-download itself, with all the necessary files. The idea is that maybe your Steam installation is corrupted, and redownloading all the client files might help.

Let me know what happens. If you've already tried this before, then let me know as well.
SeaSonic M12II Bronze 620W PSU

Steam
Dankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #9
Barfo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothamhunter View Post
This is what I was thinking, Garry's Mod and perhaps other source games use TF2 assets so you should check there.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/21/7yjuny7a.jpg
Barfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #10
Schfifty Five
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googer View Post
You must be a TF2 fan, because I am not. I have no reason to keep something I didnt buy or ask for. Read my statement below or above.
I think you need to re-read his post. He was asking what you have done to delete it.

Your response sounds like you mis-read his post as "what the hell are you doing getting rid of it" which is not the same as what he said.
Schfifty Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
Googer
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schfifty Five View Post
I think you need to re-read his post. He was asking what you have done to delete it.

Your response sounds like you mis-read his post as "what the hell are you doing getting rid of it" which is not the same as what he said.
Yes, I did misread his post!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
gothamhunter
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yes, I did misread his post!
So...did you get rid of it yet?

My WTS thread
Old 08-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #13
Googer
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothamhunter View Post
Yes, I do. But this has been going on longer than I have owned GMOD and I dont see what it has to do with TF2 reappearing; other than valve wants to spam it to get people to play and eventually buy those in game items which are 100% profit.

Quote:

Now try this: Navigate to wherever Steam is installed (by default, this is CProgram Files (x86)\Steam).

From there, go into \steamapps\(your username)\. There you should see folders for each of your different source games (Counter Strike, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress 2, etc, etc). If you see a folder for Team Fortress 2, then delete it.

Go back to your main Steam installation folder. Delete everything in that folder, EXCEPT Steam.exe and the \steamapps\ folder. Seriously just clear the whole folder out, but leave those two things.

Now restart Steam. Steam will update and re-download itself, with all the necessary files. The idea is that maybe your Steam installation is corrupted, and redownloading all the client files might help.

Let me know what happens. If you've already tried this before, then let me know as well.

I was thinking of that today. As well as modifying the file which initiates the download of files over steam (forgot the name).
Old 08-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #14
TerryMathews
Lifer

Quote:
Yes, I do. But this has been going on longer than I have owned GMOD and I dont see what it has to do with TF2 reappearing; other than valve wants to spam it to get people to play and eventually buy those in game items which are 100% profit.
They told you, gmod uses TF2 assets.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #15
Googer
Lifer

Quote:

Now try this: Navigate to wherever Steam is installed (by default, this is CProgram Files (x86)\Steam).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMathews View Post
They told you, gmod uses TF2 assets.
2hrs after my last delete, its on its way back. So, for now I am stuck with it. Perhaps I will remove GMOD and see what happens. Or remove TF2, re-download it, then hit pause download and leave it like that. Prior to owning GMOD (December 2011), TF2 would periodically re-appear in my library after it had been removed multiple times.