· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 08-10-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
Dominato3r
Diamond Member

Default Nexus (4?) - Next Nexus Phone

Has anyone heard anything about the next Nexus phone? This is usually when names/chassis/some specs start to slip out in time for a possible mid October reveal

The last thing I heard was that there were going to be 4 or 5 Nexus phones released at the same time. Each of which were going to be targeting different price models, and that Samsung was going to have the "main" phone.
Dominato3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
T_Yamamoto
Lifer

Don't know. Don't care.
Its going to be called a nexus ____
Heatware | Steam
T_Yamamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:05 AM   #3
gorcorps
aka Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Yamamoto View Post
Don't know. Don't care.
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all
gorcorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:44 AM   #4
Dulanic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Don't know. Don't care.
How insightful, what made you open a thread about something you don't know or care about?

Anyways. now that I'm done venting about the trolling... It's all speculation. I want to know, but am not going to put any faith in rumors out there.
Dulanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #5
Skurge
Diamond Member

I hope it uses the new exynos 5 chipset and not end up being underpowered on lunch like the gnex

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Intel Core i5-4670K |MSI Z97-Gaming 5|32GB DDR3-1600|Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce CF [stock]|Samsung SSD 840 Evo 500GB|Corsair AX860 PSU|Corsair 750D|Windows 8.1 Pro|Samsung U28D590D|Logitech G27 Racing Wheel|Nexus 5 32GB
Skurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
OBLAMA2009
Diamond Member

the galaxy s 3 just came out so there is no need for a new nexus device. what could they really add that isnt in that phone, especially once they release the galaxy s 3+ quad core version and jelly bean
OBLAMA2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #7
Skurge
Diamond Member

Same could be said about the s2. The galaxy Nexus came out. The nexus phones are basically reference devices.

Intel Core i5-4670K |MSI Z97-Gaming 5|32GB DDR3-1600|Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce CF [stock]|Samsung SSD 840 Evo 500GB|Corsair AX860 PSU|Corsair 750D|Windows 8.1 Pro|Samsung U28D590D|Logitech G27 Racing Wheel|Nexus 5 32GB
Skurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
Headcase_Fargone

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBLAMA2009 View Post
the galaxy s 3 just came out so there is no need for a new nexus device. what could they really add that isnt in that phone, especially once they release the galaxy s 3+ quad core version and jelly bean
Pentaband unlocked sets? On-screen buttons? Vanilla JB?

There are reasons some of us are still on a Galaxy Nexus and not on the S3.
Headcase_Fargone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #9
Bitek
Diamond Member

Plus the vzw s3 is still locked down. You wonder if Vzw will even skip the nexus again.

Bitek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
zsdersw
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skurge View Post
I hope it uses the new exynos 5 chipset and not end up being underpowered on lunch like the gnex

The Gnex is not at all underpowered. Jellybean flies on it... faster than the newest phones with ICS.

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand -Milton Friedman

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -Robert J. Hanlon
zsdersw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #11
zsdersw
Lifer

Quote:
Don't know. Don't care.
If you don't care, why did you bother posting in this thread?

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand -Milton Friedman

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -Robert J. Hanlon
Old 08-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #12
s44
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominato3r View Post
The last thing I heard was that there were going to be 4 or 5 Nexus phones released at the same time.
Nexus DEVICES, not just phones. So we've already had two of them released (sort of): the 7 and the Q.
s44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #13
bonkers325
Lifer

Galaxy Nexus Infinity Plus 4G
bonkers325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #14
iahk

Yea, those jokes don't exactly work with Nexus devices as they've never used those names. Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, Nexus Q.
iahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #15
DLeRium
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsdersw View Post
The Gnex is not at all underpowered. Jellybean flies on it... faster than the newest phones with ICS.
It's underpowered because the Exynos chipset was faster. Furthermore, the GNex was released on the cusp of the release of quad core phones. Like the Nexus S, it was the last of it's era (single core, dual core) and was about to be surpassed.

I don't doubt Jellybean flies. Would you say Windows Phones are not underpowered because the OS flies?

Obviously some stupidity went on under the table with TI and Google. Who uses OMAP anyway? MotoFail? Samsung and HTC certainly don't use OMAP. They should've picked a chipset that's representative of the market. Snapdragon or Exynos would've been logical choices.
DLeRium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #16
zsdersw
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeRium View Post
It's underpowered because the Exynos chipset was faster. Furthermore, the GNex was released on the cusp of the release of quad core phones. Like the Nexus S, it was the last of it's era (single core, dual core) and was about to be surpassed.

I don't doubt Jellybean flies. Would you say Windows Phones are not underpowered because the OS flies?

Obviously some stupidity went on under the table with TI and Google. Who uses OMAP anyway? MotoFail? Samsung and HTC certainly don't use OMAP. They should've picked a chipset that's representative of the market. Snapdragon or Exynos would've been logical choices.
When ICS on a new phone like the SGS3 runs slower than Jellybean on the GNex, guess what... the GNex isn't underpowered, whether or not you agree.

And yes, I would say that of WP.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #17
Red Storm
Lifer

Galaxy Nexus was/is a dev phone, it presented a hardware performance target that app devs could aim for with ICS. It was never meant to be a high end flagship using the latest and greatest, and having said that I have no performance issues with my Nexus.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #18
Ravynmagi
Platinum Member

Quote:

To me when you say "under powered" that implies not enough power to operate the phone. And that would be inaccurate with the Galaxy Nexus or those single core Windows Phone 7s. Just because it's not running the latest quad core doesn't equate it to being under powered.

Windows: Dell XPS 12, Dell Venue 8 Pro, Nokia Icon, Nokia Lumia 521
Android: Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2013, LG G Pad 8.3, Nook HD+
iOS: iPad Mini with Retina, iPhone 5S
Ravynmagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #19
Ravynmagi
Platinum Member

We won't see the next Nexus phone until Key Lime Pie is ready and I doubt that is coming this year. Probably won't be until sometime in early 2013 before we see the next Nexus and Android.

Windows: Dell XPS 12, Dell Venue 8 Pro, Nokia Icon, Nokia Lumia 521
Android: Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2013, LG G Pad 8.3, Nook HD+
iOS: iPad Mini with Retina, iPhone 5S
Ravynmagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #20
DLeRium
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsdersw View Post
When ICS on a new phone like the SGS3 runs slower than Jellybean on the GNex, guess what... the GNex isn't underpowered, whether or not you agree.

And yes, I would say that of WP.
Comparison of ICS on SGS3 vs. Jellybean on GNex is pretty unfair. Jellybean by default should be faster due to project butter. You're handicapping the SGS3 with ICS. How does this make a fair comparison? Then there's 2 different chipsets and quad vs dual core.

How is WP underpowered if it runs smoothly?

What is YOUR definition of underpowered? To you the GNex isn't underpowered because JellyBean flies but Windows Phone isn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravynmagi View Post
To me when you say "under powered" that implies not enough power to operate the phone. And that would be inaccurate with the Galaxy Nexus or those single core Windows Phone 7s. Just because it's not running the latest quad core doesn't equate it to being under powered.
Well I wouldnt' say there isn't enough horsepower to operate the phone. I didn't call it underpowered. Someone else did. However I did back them up saying they do have a point because:

1) GNex was 720p but using the same GPU as a Nexus S
2) SGS2 was more powerful.
3) GNex was built at the end of dual core flagship phones. Quad cores were due out any second.
4) It's not just the SGS2, the HTC Sensation and other devices from that era would've outdone the GNex.

I think it's enough horsepower for most people, but as a phone built in October, yeah it's behind the times, considering the iPhone 4S steamrolls it in graphics performance.

Last edited by DLeRium; 08-10-2012 at 11:00 AM.
DLeRium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #21
Chiropteran
Diamond Member

Quote:
Number of cores is a poor measure of "faster". Isn't the US version Galaxy S3 with it's dual core faster than the quad core version?
Old 08-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #22
zsdersw
Lifer

Quote:
Comparison of ICS on SGS3 vs. Jellybean on GNex is pretty unfair. Jellybean by default should be faster due to project butter. You're handicapping the SGS3 with ICS. How does this make a fair comparison? Then there's 2 different chipsets and quad vs dual core.
It's not unfair at all. In both cases they're the newest versions of Android officially available for each device. It also proves the point that just throwing faster hardware at the problem is not ultimately the key to improving overall performance.

Quote:
How is WP underpowered if it runs smoothly?
It's not. When I said I would say that of WP I meant that I wouldn't say WP is underpowered, just as I said that of the GNex.

Quote:
What is YOUR definition of underpowered? To you the GNex isn't underpowered because JellyBean flies but Windows Phone isn't?
"Underpowered", to me, means unable to run the software it comes with at an acceptable speed. Windows Phones and Jellybean-equipped Galaxy Nexus devices are not underpowered because their hardware can run the software at a more-than-just-acceptable speed.

Last edited by zsdersw; 08-10-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #23
jiffylube1024
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skurge View Post

People should quantify their statement that the GNex was underpowered at launch (usually compared to the Galaxy S II). This is mainly an issue for gaming and 3D apps, not in general phone UI. It's got the same CPU as the international Galaxy S2.
-------

The International (and much more powerful) Galaxy S II (GT-i9100) used the Exynos 4210 SoC. The 4210 contains the following:

-Dual Core ARM Cortex A9 CPU's @ 1.2 GHz (1MB L2 cache, Dual Channel 32-bit LP-DDR2)
-ARM Mali-400 MP GPU @ 275 MHz

The Galaxy Nexus (i-9250) contains the following:

-Dual Core ARM Cortex A9 CPU's @ 1.2 GHz (1MB L2 cache, Dual Channel 32-bit LP-DDR2)
-PowerVR SGX 540 GPU @ 307 MHz

The GNex hardware specs disappointed at launch because it used the dated PowerVR SGX 540 GPU. This is the same GPU that was in the 2010-era Samsung Galaxy S. Granted the GPU in the Galaxy S ran at only 200 MHz, meaning a >50% clock increase, but it's still dated compared to the powerful Mali 400.
-------

So, with that out of the way, yes the GNex has a weak GPU by today's standards, but the CPU is a perfectly capable dual core Cortex A9, the same CPU like most phones until recently, which have switched to either quad core A9's or dual core Qualcomm "Krait" Snapdragon S4's.

By comparison, the North American Galaxy S II models (Galaxy S II "Skyrocket") is essentially a GNex flipped on its head, with a more powerful GPU (Adreno 220) but a weaker CPU, the Snapdragon S3.

You can check the performance comparison of the chips in Anand's Galaxy S III review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6022/s...usa-variants/4

Last edited by jiffylube1024; 08-10-2012 at 11:32 AM.
jiffylube1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #24
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
I think it's enough horsepower for most people, but as a phone built in October, yeah it's behind the times, considering the iPhone 4S steamrolls it in graphics performance.
So do many other phones nowadays, but to what end? I have never once cared about how well my phone runs 3D benchmarks. If I wanted a handheld gaming device I'd buy a PSP. I'll still take my Nexus over any phone that's out now.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #25
zsdersw
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Storm View Post
I'll still take my Nexus over any phone that's out now.
Exactly.