Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Off Topic

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals
· Free Stuff
· Contests and Sweepstakes
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
SilthDraeth
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,596
Default Rant: Craigslist, Free section...

I always laugh at all the free posts on craigslist, but it pisses me off a bit too, I hope there are not that many tools out there willing to go get this "free"dirt, or "free" firewood.

The vast majority, which aren't kittens, or furniture that should be in a dumpster are like the following post.

http://mohave.craigslist.org/zip/3149082485.html

I have also seen "free firewood" which turns out to be; "I have four 50' tall trees on my property that you can cut down and remove. You must have your own equipment, and be experienced in tree removal so you don't damage my yard"

My response is: So you want a tree removal service, but you don't want to pay for it?

Anyways, feel free to post some free adds you have come across, that are completely ludicrous,if you don't mind sharing your general area in the thread.
__________________
AMD Fanboy
Heat
06/05/2007 01:27 PM Originally posted by: Vic
The more they stare in fear at the forest, the fewer trees they'll see.

SilthDraeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
jlee
Lifer
 
jlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 43,847
Default

I got an awesome coffee table for free. And four 5 gallon fuel cans.
__________________
Heat Tacoma MR2 LX450
jlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
Pr0d1gy
Diamond Member
 
Pr0d1gy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Where I want.
Posts: 7,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilthDraeth View Post
I always laugh at all the free posts on craigslist, but it pisses me off a bit too, I hope there are not that many tools out there willing to go get this "free"dirt, or "free" firewood.

The vast majority, which aren't kittens, or furniture that should be in a dumpster are like the following post.

http://mohave.craigslist.org/zip/3149082485.html

I have also seen "free firewood" which turns out to be; "I have four 50' tall trees on my property that you can cut down and remove. You must have your own equipment, and be experienced in tree removal so you don't damage my yard"

My response is: So you want a tree removal service, but you don't want to pay for it?

Anyways, feel free to post some free adds you have come across, that are completely ludicrous,if you don't mind sharing your general area in the thread.
The funny thing is that it is usually some rich fuckwad looking for free services.

"Don't damage my yard" Sounds like a rich fuck to me.
__________________
And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular; but one must take it because it is RIGHT. -MLK, Jr.
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=35504
Pr0d1gy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Six
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 293
Default

Yeah...I agree the most anal people on craigslist are well off people.

I've got some free stuff from craigslist, never furniture. I've given away plenty of good stuff on craigslist. Whenever I post up free furniture, there are always 10-15 replies within 2 minutes, and the first ones who come...always come in a newer model pickup truck within 30 minutes.
Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
SparkyJJO
Lifer
 
SparkyJJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 12,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six View Post
Yeah...I agree the most anal people on craigslist are well off people.

I've got some free stuff from craigslist, never furniture. I've given away plenty of good stuff on craigslist. Whenever I post up free furniture, there are always 10-15 replies within 2 minutes, and the first ones who come...always come in a newer model pickup truck within 30 minutes.
Maybe the reason they can afford a newer truck is because they are more frugal elsewhere, such as looking for the free ads on craigslist vs buying something new. Nothing wrong with doing that. There are plenty of people who might not be rich but still can have some nicer things because they are smart shoppers.

I'm not the best at doing that kind of thing but I've scored a few sweet deals that way.
__________________
Heatware

CO2 is evil. Stop breathing

"I have never understood why it is greed to want to keep the money that you've earned, but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." - Thomas Sowell
SparkyJJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
IronWing
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 32,090
Default

Don't knock it. I got rid of a fifteen year old mattress on freecycle. It would have cost gas and ten bucks to take it to the dump.
IronWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
Meghan54
Diamond Member
 
Meghan54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Rollin' Rollin' Rollin', keep them doggies rollin'
Posts: 4,975
Default

Try this one:

http://capecod.craigslist.org/zip/3102342748.html
__________________
Heat
Ebay
"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."
-Christopher Dawson
Meghan54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
amdhunter
Lifer
 
amdhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bronx, NY
Posts: 21,633
Default

Some good stuff every so often.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/zip/3168589403.html
amdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
PottedMeat
Lifer
 
PottedMeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan54 View Post
Free fire wood outdoor bonfire wood (Osterville)

does that mean i can have the bonfire there?
PottedMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
shurato
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,398
Default

When I was moving out of my apartment several years ago I had someone from Craigslist pick up my bed, dvd rack, and weight bench all for free. Everything was in very good condition. Free is free and all but I don't know why anyone would want a used bed. Kind of gross.
shurato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
vi edit
Super Moderator
 
vi edit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 52,679
Default

LOL:
http://peoria.craigslist.org/zip/3088498186.html
__________________
Everyone has a photographic memory. It's just that not everyone has film.
vi edit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
SilthDraeth
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,596
Default

There is obviously some good free stuff now and then. It just cracks me up, like the free bonfire wood.

Go light it on fire, and have a printout of the craigslisting when the police show up.
__________________
AMD Fanboy
Heat
06/05/2007 01:27 PM Originally posted by: Vic
The more they stare in fear at the forest, the fewer trees they'll see.

SilthDraeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
BoomerD
Lifer
 
BoomerD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Where I hang my hat.
Posts: 44,402
Default

Not in the freebies...but in the garage sale section:

http://modesto.craigslist.org/gms/3168670900.html

Quote:
Honey Hole (modesto)
Date: 2012-07-28, 9:52AM PDT

come by and Pick our spot 8-2pm.
:rofl:
BoomerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #14
jagec
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 23,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilthDraeth View Post
There is obviously some good free stuff now and then. It just cracks me up, like the free bonfire wood.
Oh yes, there's a LOT of crap in the free section. But, oddly enough, people still take it half the time!

Just goes to show that one man's trash is another man's treasure. Craigslist keeps a lot of that stuff out of the landfill.
jagec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #15
weadjust
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 633
Default

I get most of my firewood from the free section on craigslist. I only respond to the ads that say the tree is already on the ground and is suitable to burn in a fireplace. I have chain saw, truck, and trailer. Free wood is good.
weadjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #16
Pulsar
Diamond Member
 
Pulsar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilthDraeth View Post
I always laugh at all the free posts on craigslist, but it pisses me off a bit too, I hope there are not that many tools out there willing to go get this "free"dirt, or "free" firewood.

The vast majority, which aren't kittens, or furniture that should be in a dumpster are like the following post.

http://mohave.craigslist.org/zip/3149082485.html

I have also seen "free firewood" which turns out to be; "I have four 50' tall trees on my property that you can cut down and remove. You must have your own equipment, and be experienced in tree removal so you don't damage my yard"

My response is: So you want a tree removal service, but you don't want to pay for it?

Anyways, feel free to post some free adds you have come across, that are completely ludicrous,if you don't mind sharing your general area in the thread.
Uh.... wow. Let me guess. You live in suburbia don't you.

For folks who DON'T live in suburbia, having the equipment and tools to remove that stuff is fairly common. Nearly every of one of my neighbors have a front loader and the trailer to haul it, and regularly jump at the chance to pick up $200-$300 of dirt for free.

I have 3 chainsaws sitting on the shelf and a wood burning stove in a garage that sucks down wood. An afternoon of cutting free wood so I'm stocked for the winter would also save me hundreds.

Your ludicrous is someone else's every-day money saver. Keep it in mind.
Pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #17
fuzzybabybunny
Moderator
Digital & Video Cameras
 
fuzzybabybunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,196
Default

I have absolutely no problem with this. Don't knock it simply because *you* don't see immediate value in it. Way better than throwing shit into the landfill. Re-using is the best form of recycling.

I've gotten rid of a lot of stuff on Craigslist Free / Freecycle and gotten some things here and there like a perfectly fine computer chair. Saved me some cash and saved a lot of random plastics, metals, paints, etc from being dumped in a landfill. Can't ask for anything more.

Piles of wood? If I had a fireplace or a firepit that I always cooked on I would definitely check them out. Hey, thanks for the head's up. Don't let good raw material go to waste. Firewood can get expensive considering you're literally just burning it. It has no re-use value. And chopping/cutting it can be a pain in the ass. Even free trees to cut down. Uh, might as well. It's not like I'm going to be taking the stumps. They're still going to need to hire a removal service to remove the stumps.

Free dirt? I can't fathom any reason I would need Havasu dirt but I'm sure someone out there could use it on their house or construction projects. Maybe it could even be turned into soil or something for farming. Who knows.
__________________
I love everyone, and everyone includes you!

D300, 11-16mm f/2.8, 17-55mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR

Fuzzy Photos!!

"Don't do it, you'll die FBB." - ViviTheMage

Last edited by fuzzybabybunny; 07-28-2012 at 01:07 PM.
fuzzybabybunny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #18
SilthDraeth
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulsar View Post
Uh.... wow. Let me guess. You live in suburbia don't you.

For folks who DON'T live in suburbia, having the equipment and tools to remove that stuff is fairly common. Nearly every of one of my neighbors have a front loader and the trailer to haul it, and regularly jump at the chance to pick up $200-$300 of dirt for free.

I have 3 chainsaws sitting on the shelf and a wood burning stove in a garage that sucks down wood. An afternoon of cutting free wood so I'm stocked for the winter would also save me hundreds.

Your ludicrous is someone else's every-day money saver. Keep it in mind.
You figured me out! Kingman AZ sure is suburbia.
__________________
AMD Fanboy
Heat
06/05/2007 01:27 PM Originally posted by: Vic
The more they stare in fear at the forest, the fewer trees they'll see.

SilthDraeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #19
gevorg
Diamond Member
 
gevorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,550
Default

http://www.dontevenreply.com/view.php?post=104
gevorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
IronWing
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 32,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilthDraeth View Post
You figured me out! Kingman AZ sure is suburbia.
You live in Kingman? You poor bastard!
IronWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #21
T_Yamamoto
Lifer
 
T_Yamamoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Anand's Closet
Posts: 13,561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWing View Post
You live in Kingman? You poor bastard!
Didnt he have a thread about someone getting shot in his hood? Or someone else?
__________________
i5 4430 | MSI B85M-P33 | Gigabyte Windforce R9 270x | Random 4gb + 2gb RAM
XFX ProSeries 450W | Intel 530 128gb + Toshiba Canvio 1tb External HDD | Windows 7
NZXT Vulcan | Dell E2414H
Heatware | Steam
T_Yamamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #22
Six
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
Maybe the reason they can afford a newer truck is because they are more frugal elsewhere, such as looking for the free ads on craigslist vs buying something new. Nothing wrong with doing that. There are plenty of people who might not be rich but still can have some nicer things because they are smart shoppers.

I'm not the best at doing that kind of thing but I've scored a few sweet deals that way.
I was just stating facts from my experience. It has nothing to do with rich people scoring free stuff.

You're stating your opinion.

Learn the difference.
Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #23
dud
Diamond Member
 
dud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gevorg View Post



One of my favorites. Brad obviously feels that he is one of the "entitled" ... worthy of free rocks!
__________________
Talking about politics on the AT forums is like sticking your hand in a Fire Ant mound. The ants enjoy it while you endure painful stings.
dud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #24
cKGunslinger
Lifer
 
cKGunslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Nov 1999
Posts: 16,083
Default

Here's a table that's supposedly really good for beating Stephen Renfroe at board-games..

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/zip/3156691118.html
__________________
cKGunslinger

- The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
cKGunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #25
SilthDraeth
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Yamamoto View Post
Didnt he have a thread about someone getting shot in his hood? Or someone else?
I don't remember a thread about that. I think I may have posted about the crazy lds church that runs a town in my county before. But not about people being shot around here.
__________________
AMD Fanboy
Heat
06/05/2007 01:27 PM Originally posted by: Vic
The more they stare in fear at the forest, the fewer trees they'll see.

SilthDraeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.