· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 07-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
pikahatonjon

Default Question for Brian/Anand regarding the GSII & Galaxy Nexus screen *Super Amoled HD*

Hi, so do Brian & Anand look at posts in the forums? I have a question for them regarding the Super Amoled HD screens on the Galaxy S III and the Galaxy Nexus.

So I've been reading alot about mobile technology for the last few years and I read that in the period of time between the release of the Galaxy Nexus and the S3, Samsung had improved the super amoled HD screen. Apparently the colors are a bit better, and the screen(S3) is alot brighter.

However, the other day, I went into the Verizon store to check out the Galaxy S3 and I brought along my Galaxy Nexus with me, to compare the screens. On my galaxy nexus, I had a kernel that had a "color control app" installed on it. (franco <3).

So i noticed that when both phones were at maximum brightness, when the had my galaxy nexus at stock colors (200,200,200) it was alot more dim than the galaxy s3. However, when i ramped up the RGB values to (360, 350,380), my galaxy nexus was supremely brighter and the colors were alot more vibrant and natural than the S3.

However, apprently having RGB values > 200 increases the chance of burn in.
So my question for brian/anand/anyone else who might know, would be,
Is there a way to find out if Samsung actually improved the Super Amoled HD screen, or did they just ramp up the color values in the S3 at the risk of higher burn in?

thanks all
pikahatonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #2
tdawg
Golden Member

Isn't the max RGB value 256,256,256, to make pure white? Am I confusing that with something else? Or is that just sRGB top values and other color spaces go higher before they get to pure white?
XBL Gamertag / PSN Network: ttinker
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:28 AM   #3
pikahatonjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Isn't the max RGB value 256,256,256, to make pure white? Am I confusing that with something else? Or is that just sRGB top values and other color spaces go higher before they get to pure white?
tbh im not quite sure what the values are. oh they are apparently the gamma values? well thats what they call it in the app
Old 07-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
pm
Super Moderator
Mobile Devices & Gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikahatonjon View Post
Hi, so do Brian & Anand look at posts in the forums? I have a question for them regarding the Super Amoled HD screens on the Galaxy S III and the Galaxy Nexus.
It's been my experience that both Brian and Anand do look at and respond to posts in the forums, but not very often. They may see this post, but probably they won't - or if they do, it won't be for a while. You can get a much more timely response by commenting on an article they post soon after they post it, but probably the best way is to send them an email about this thread and ask for their comments.
pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
Brian Klug

What you're seeing is how Samsung has clamped the brightness of SAMOLED HD on both the Galaxy Nexus and SGS3. In fact, clamping display brightness below what's physically possible is something Samsung has been doing to AMOLED panels for quite a long time now, to mitigate some of the burn-in and temporary hysteresis effects.

Francois excellent apps unlock the full range, and you can see just how bright some devices go - I believe I measured SGS2 at almost 600 nits at one point.

That said, SGS3 is indeed a newer process revision of the SAMOLED HD panel. Probably the biggest issue with the Galaxy Nexus panel is huge amounts of mura (pixel-to-pixel luminance noise) and grain in the blacks. This is entirely gone in SGS3.
Brian Klug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
Brian Klug

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm View Post
It's been my experience that both Brian and Anand do look at and respond to posts in the forums, but not very often. They may see this post, but probably they won't - or if they do, it won't be for a while. You can get a much more timely response by commenting on an article they post soon after they post it, but probably the best way is to send them an email about this thread and ask for their comments.
This sounds fairly accurate, at least for myself

I try my best to reply to emails all the time, and usually babysit the comments on any given article for at least 24 hours. As OP found out, I also respond super quick to things on twitter (or try to, at least): https://twitter.com/j0pher/statuses/225498111123005441

I troll around on these forums quite a bit, should post more often
Old 07-19-2012, 03:09 AM   #7
pikahatonjon

thanks alot brian xD
im glad you responded so fast. such a bummer though, that the SamoledHD on teh Galaxy Nexus is so much more inferior. i still love mine to death though xD

would u have any idea how big of an impact turning up those values would play in ghosting/burn in?
Old 07-19-2012, 03:34 AM   #8
Brian Klug

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikahatonjon View Post
would u have any idea how big of an impact turning up those values would play in ghosting/burn in?
Only Samsung really knows the answer to that question. There's a lot of variance between panels from what I've seen. I would guess that SGS3's revision can stand up to more than the Galaxy Nexus', however.

Anecdotally, I ran SGS2 at maximum possible brightness with Francois' software installed and left it on the home screen for almost an hour (it drained incredibly quickly) but saw no burn-in. On the other hand, I've been given review units of other phones with AMOLED panels that were charged probably by an agency/vendor before being sent to me, whose panels had the charge icon and lock screen burned in. In fact, I often love to go to carrier stores and look at phones sitting there - you'll see a lot of burn in. It's just really hard to say.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
dagamer34
Platinum Member

I'm just really hoping that Samsung doesn't try to peddle those old revision Super AMOLED HD panels on Nokia. I'd rather they go Super LCD 2 for their Windows Phone 8 devices.
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
Puddle Jumper
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
I'm just really hoping that Samsung doesn't try to peddle those old revision Super AMOLED HD panels on Nokia. I'd rather they go Super LCD 2 for their Windows Phone 8 devices.
Super Amoled is an obvious choice for Windows Phone since the UI is primarily black.

Puddle Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote