· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 06-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
TheAdvocate
Platinum Member

Default Redbox etiquette

Date with the wife tonight, sitter for kids, so I reserved a flick for the kids at the machine thats on my way home.

Pulled up to the machine. There's a late 40s woman with a weird mesh safari hat that weirdly looks a little bit like a trucker hat. She's wearing capris and red stitched snoopy socks. She is on her phone. I figured she was asking her husband which flick.

Fast forward 20 minutes of multiple people waiting behind her in 100 degree heat during which time she hss read the movie description and cast of at least 30 movies. Despite multiple polite requests to let people return movies or get reservations, she refuses to step aside and continue her conversation to the side. One guy even offers to pull up the machines inventory on his tablet. She refuses.

I finally gave up and went homs. Kids will react predictably and I am out a buck, but screw it. When people started leaving she accused us of being rude.

So ATOT, who's out of line? Her or us?
Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz (Corsair H100) | Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z | 2x4GB GSkill Ripjaws X 1600 | Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II | Samsung M830 256GB | Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB | Corsair CX600M | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2007WFP 20.1" (S-IPS 6ms) | Logitech Z-4 | Logitech G11 | Logitech G5 | Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Heatware
TheAdvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
Soundmanred
Lifer

I'm just surprised there was only one machine. I've never seen a lone Redbox machine.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
lxskllr
Lifer

In a just world her head would be planted in the machine, and her wallet looted so people could get free movies due to waiting behind her. I bet she was fat too.
lxskllr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
veri745
Golden Member

Definitely out of line to sit on the phone in front of the Redbox machine. Browsing through movies for 5 min before picking one is acceptable. Spend half and hour choosing your movie and you deserve any amount of insults that people have to give.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
BoomerD
Lifer

Wait...there's such a thing as "Redbox Etiquette?"

For me, the only possible "etiquette" would be to allow someone to return a movie if it's almost 9:00 so they can avoid a late charge...then go back to scrolling through the movies and reading each and every movie description over the phone...otherwise...get in fucking line...or go elsewhere.
BoomerD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
goog40
Diamond Member

Should have smashed her phone and punched her in the ovaries.
goog40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
zinfamous
No Lifer

I am completely oblivious to this RedBox thingy.
mentally he's such a klutz
his head is made of 50 butts
zinfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
PottedMeat
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdvocate View Post
Fast forward 20 minutes of multiple people waiting behind her in 100 degree heat during which time she hss read the movie description and cast of at least 30 movies.
at this point you should stand close, look over her shoulder, and loudly voice your opinion on each movie she looks at. maybe let out a nice fart or two.
PottedMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
zerocool84
Lifer

That's why I don't do Redbox, you have to get there early to get any decent movie, plus wait forever in line, I just do Netflix streaming.
zerocool84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
BoomerD
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool84 View Post
That's why I don't do Redbox, you have to get there early to get any decent movie, plus wait forever in line, I just do Netflix streaming.
Or...you could just reserve on line...then wait 30 minutes while the lady reads the description of every movie...

I usually reserve movies on line. Only if it's a "spur of the moment" choice when I'm at the grocery store do I stand there and look through the choices.
BoomerD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
AstroManLuca
Lifer

She was absolutely in the wrong. It's one thing to take five minutes to look through a few movies in order to decide, but sitting on the phone and reading all the descriptions is very rude.

That would be like going through a checkout lane and then holding up the line for 15 minutes while you decide whether you want a Snickers or a Kit Kat.

Luckily, most people seem to have the courtesy to let you through. If I have a big cart full of groceries and someone walks up behind me with one thing, I'll let him through, and the reverse is usually true as well.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
WT
Diamond Member

I have probably 6 Redbox locations within a 5 mile radius so I can usually find and reserve what I want. Probably only 25% of the time that I've gone to one somebody was there when I pull up.

Heat - One man's FS is another man's WTB
WT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
Childs
Diamond Member

That would drive me crazy, although I'm not the type to browse. I would go there knowing what I want. I have noticed these machines everywhere, so I would probably just go to another one. Every supermarket and 7-11 seems to have them, and there are probably over 10 in a square mile around my apt.
Childs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #14
Dirigible
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmanred View Post
I'm just surprised there was only one machine. I've never seen a lone Redbox machine.

I've never seen a Redbox machine at all. :shrug:

But to answer the question in the OP, I'm going with her being in the wrong tying the machine up so long with people waiting, especially given the guy offering her use of the tablet so she could keep looking at the movies while other people don't have to wait.

Been missing from my area for years.
Dirigible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #15
Newbian
Lifer

For some reason this showed up to me as "Redtube etiquette".
Newbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #16
TheAdvocate
Platinum Member

Sorry for typos. On my tablet while wife chats up sitter.

I could have found another machine, but I had a reservation and not sure other machines have that flick.

Am enjoying the responses.
Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz (Corsair H100) | Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z | 2x4GB GSkill Ripjaws X 1600 | Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II | Samsung M830 256GB | Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB | Corsair CX600M | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2007WFP 20.1" (S-IPS 6ms) | Logitech Z-4 | Logitech G11 | Logitech G5 | Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Heatware
Old 06-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #17
blankslate
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfamous View Post
I am completely oblivious to this RedBox thingy.
Think of a red vending machine with a touch screen that lets you rent a movie for $1 a day.

anyway here's a webpage for them

http://www.redbox.com/locations/

Dropkick Murphys - Workers Song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQfGTDyjVSE
blankslate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #18
Perknose
Forum Director &
Omnipotent Overlord

OP, I'm sure that the full 5-7 minutes you waited and fumed seemed like 20 minutes. It would have for me.

For the record, she was out of line. Although, literally, once you left, you were also "out of (the) line."

-- Pablo Neruda
Perknose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #19
Aikouka
Lifer

Well, she's certainly allowed to spend however much time she wants perusing the selection, but that doesn't really excuse ignoring the fact that you're inconveniencing other people. The point of those machines is to speed up and simplify the rental process.

I know this may be a strange concept to some, but at times, you need to consider other people before yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmanred View Post
What about a lone active machine? The closest Redbox to me has two machines; however, typically only one is open.
Aikouka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #20
Fingolfin269
Lifer

Redbox really needs to come up with some way for people who order online to get to their movies without waiting behind the people you describe OP. Something on the side of the box with a mini screen to enter your order # or something. What you have described is one of the reasons I tend to avoid Redbox unless it's the last option.
Fingolfin269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #21
TheAdvocate
Platinum Member

It was actually 20 minutes. That was my breaking point.

Heatware
Old 06-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #22
Doppel
Lifer

Quote:
Date with the wife tonight, sitter for kids, so I reserved a flick for the kids at the machine thats on my way home.

Pulled up to the machine. There's a late 40s woman with a weird mesh safari hat that weirdly looks a little bit like a trucker hat. She's wearing capris and red stitched snoopy socks. She is on her phone. I figured she was asking her husband which flick.

Fast forward 20 minutes of multiple people waiting behind her in 100 degree heat during which time she hss read the movie description and cast of at least 30 movies. Despite multiple polite requests to let people return movies or get reservations, she refuses to step aside and continue her conversation to the side. One guy even offers to pull up the machines inventory on his tablet. She refuses.

I finally gave up and went homs. Kids will react predictably and I am out a buck, but screw it. When people started leaving she accused us of being rude.

Damn, I have never experienced that kind of bitchy behavior at redbox.

They should institute a time limit. Most people would never know it and those who hit it, well they are crap customers.
Doppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #23
Platypus
Lifer

rude, self-entitled cunt.
but you remember which is which
when the wrong man wins.

pics / android
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #24
Pulsar
Diamond Member

This brings up a couple of other situations that are similar.

#1 People who go through the drive through at any restaurant and can't figure out what they want.

#2 People who go through the drive through and order 10 different meals for their office mates, stopping the line for 10 minutes.

#3 People waiting in any cashier line who, upon reaching the cashier, have to start digging through their shit (this is usually a female) to find their money and their coupons / store card. You've been in line how long, and can't get your shit out in advance?

#4 People (usually younger folks) who pick up some stuff at a gas station and are paying in coins - then don't have enough.

#5 People who get an item up to the cashier at a supermarket with a cart full of stuff and then want to argue about how their $2 was tagged $1.89 and rang up wrong. There are 10 people behind you. If you really want to bitch, DON'T buy the item. Jesus.

I hate people.
Pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #25
Fayd
Diamond Member

Quote:

i'm pretty sure after 5 minutes of waiting you're legally authorized to kick the back of her knee and slam her head into the wall.
You've had a busy day today.
Fayd is online now   Reply With Quote