· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 06-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #201
Gordon Freemen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolMiester View Post
LOL, RS is probably the most knowledgeable and valued member of this forum.....To say he is biased and has an agenda show just how wrong you are...goodbye!
Even "Vauled" and long time standing members/mods can be biased and often are more so susceptible to becoming jaded for are they not human ? and do they not have an opinion and EGO ? One "Valued" members opinion is just that an Opinion and I suggest not just going along with the "heard" and instead doing your own research and developing your own opinion and take on a given topic, product, rational, or reasoning ect ect ect.
Gordon Freemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #202
SlowSpyder
Diamond Member

Just out of curiosity and somewhat off topic, but I feel as the tessellation thing has been blown out of proportion in general. Are there any games that a 5870 cannot play due to tessellation? I know there are some games where it appears that the 5870 hasn't aged as well as Nvidia cards, but have we gotten to a point where the 5870 tessellator is really a bigger problem than the GPU horsepower it has or the 1GB of memory most are equipped with?
SlowSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #203
Gordon Freemen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSpyder View Post
Just out of curiosity and somewhat off topic, but I feel as the tessellation thing has been blown out of proportion in general. Are there any games that a 5870 cannot play due to tessellation? I know there are some games where it appears that the 5870 hasn't aged as well as Nvidia cards, but have we gotten to a point where the 5870 tessellator is really a bigger problem than the GPU horsepower it has or the 1GB of memory most are equipped with?
Tessellation is IMHO akin to Physx which is more or less a kitschy gimmick novelty but not the way of the future like for instance DX technology. I would not put much weight in my own purchase of a GPU based on it's "Tessellation" performance.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #204
blackened23
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Freemen View Post
Tessellation is IMHO akin to Physx which is more or less a kitschy gimmick novelty but not the way of the future like for instance DX technology. I would not put much weight in my own purchase of a GPU based on it's "Tessellation" performance.
Huh?!
blackened23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #205
chimaxi83
Diamond Member

Quote:
You seriously, without a doubt, absolutely have ZERO idea of what you're talking about. You've confirmed it (again).
Old 06-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #206
Gordon Freemen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimaxi83 View Post
You seriously, without a doubt, absolutely have ZERO idea of what you're talking about. You've confirmed it (again).
What are you on about trolling again how about explaining instead of trolling me.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #207
Gordon Freemen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackened23 View Post
Huh?!
Question: Just out of curiosity and somewhat off topic, but I feel as the tessellation thing has been blown out of proportion in general.

Answer: Tessellation is IMHO akin to Physx which is more or less a kitschy gimmick novelty but not the way of the future like for instance DX technology. I would not put much weight in my own purchase of a GPU based on it's "Tessellation" performance.

"blackened23" How is it so hard to understand must I spell it out ?
Old 06-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #208
blackened23
Diamond Member

Good grief, you make my head hurt. Tesssellation makes flat surfaces appear to be much more life like and detailed, it is not just a gimmick.
blackened23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #209
SirPauly
Diamond Member

GPU Physics to me is not a gimmick based on there is tangible strengths that GPU processing offers. It is insane not to try to take advantage of both the GPU and CPU strengths.

Tessellation offers more realism and fidelity to models and environments and it's about time.
SirPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #210
NIGELG

PhysX fail,Physics cool.

Tessellation is wonderful
Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
Dell IPS 1080P Monitor
Soundblaster Titanium X Fi HD/ Audioengine A5+/S8
NIGELG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #211
Gordon Freemen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPauly View Post
GPU Physics to me is not a gimmick based on there is tangible strengths that GPU processing offers. It is insane not to try to take advantage of both the GPU and CPU strengths.

Tessellation offers more realism and fidelity to models and environments and it's about time.
Nvidia purposefully hobbles Physx on the CPU
http://semiaccurate.com/2010/07/07/n...les-physx-cpu/
Old 06-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #212
SolMiester
Diamond Member

Quote:
Even "Vauled" and long time standing members/mods can be biased and often are more so susceptible to becoming jaded for are they not human ? and do they not have an opinion and EGO ? One "Valued" members opinion is just that an Opinion and I suggest not just going along with the "heard" and instead doing your own research and developing your own opinion and take on a given topic, product, rational, or reasoning ect ect ect.
Blah blah blah Mr Freeman!.....you can say what you like, but RS IMHO is the most unbiased poster here, unlike you and I.....He always backs up he opinion too...but whatever dude.....Oh, and yes I do my research, I have too being as I have been in the industry for over 20 yrs!

Last edited by SolMiester; 06-12-2012 at 05:26 PM.
SolMiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #213
SirPauly
Diamond Member

GPU PhysX content has been sparse but will see if there is any momentum with the new software from nVidia for developers. As a vocal advocate for GPU Physics been underwhelmed by the sparse content from nVidia and absolutely no content from AMD.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #214
SirPauly
Diamond Member

Quote:
nVida improved CPU PhysX with version 3.0. Most PhysX titles are CPU PhysX and doesn't make sense to forsake Physics and the CPU. Also, nVidia is evangelizing PhysX for mobile as well. It is in nVidia's own interest to offer robust physics for the CPU, GPU, mobile and other platforms.

That article didn't make any logical sense.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #215
MrK6
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSpyder View Post
There are actually, Batman: AA I think is one. But to play the devil's advocate, what does that much tessellation actually give you? Not a whole lot, it just over saturates to the point of killing weaker tessellation engines (I wonder why? ).

To chime in on the thread topic, they're both OK. I really just prefer whichever is sucking less at the moment. For awhile it was NVIDIA, then AMD, now I think it's swinging back again. But that's what you get in a market with little competition.
| Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced with custom water cooling | Seasonic X650 | Core i5-2500K @ 5.0GHz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 | 2x4096MB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 @ 2134MHz 10-11-10-30 | 256GB Samsung 830 | 2x 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F4 in RAID 1 | Gigabyte HD 7970 @ 1300MHz/1750MHz | Dell 30" 3007WFP-HC |
[6950 -> 7970 Overclocking User Review] [5850 -> 6950 Mini-Review]
MrK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #216
SirPauly
Diamond Member

But you're expecting someone to believe that not only nVidia but Crytech and EA has malicious and nefarious intent with their planning on their title Crysis 2.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #217
Magic Carpet
Golden Member

Quote:
Interesting read. Thanks.
Magic Carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #218
Gordon Freemen
Banned

Quote:
nVida improved CPU PhysX with version 3.0. Most PhysX titles are CPU PhysX and doesn't make sense to forsake Physics and the CPU. Also, nVidia is evangelizing PhysX for mobile as well. It is in nVidia's own interest to offer robust physics for the CPU, GPU, mobile and other platforms.

That article didn't make any logical sense.
Of course to a Green team fan that article would seem preposterous LOL and to think that nvidia would down play one of there most highlighted and marketed GPU features which is Physx by nvidia is just not good business sense. nvidia is not your friend they are a "Money making corporation" and Physx is just another ploy to pull in more revenue.
http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cf...WT070510142143
Old 06-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #219
SirPauly
Diamond Member

Quote:
Of course to a Green team fan that article would seem preposterous LOL and to think that nvidia would down play one of there most highlighted and marketed GPU features which is Physx by nvidia is just not good business sense. nvidia is not your friend they are a "Money making corporation" and Physx is just another ploy to pull in more revenue.
The older CPU methods were left over from Ageia/ x87 and nVidia spent their early resources trying to port PhysX and receive some content. With PhysX 3 -- CPU optimizations are in place and so is CPU core Parallelism.

You're welcome to believe what you want. It doesn't make sense to intentionally cripple and hobble the CPU. There is no logic there.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #220
Gordon Freemen
Banned

Quote:
GPU PhysX content has been sparse but will see if there is any momentum with the new software from nVidia for developers. As a vocal advocate for GPU Physics been underwhelmed by the sparse content from nVidia and absolutely no content from AMD.
"The 2-4x advantage nvdia claims for the GPU Physx is only when they hobble the CPU. If they didn't the CPU would have a 4-8x performance advantage on nvidia own "Physx" API."
Old 06-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #221
Gordon Freemen
Banned

Quote:
The older CPU methods were left over from Ageia/ x87 and nVidia spent their early resources trying to port PhysX and receive some content. With PhysX 3 -- CPU optimizations are in place and so is CPU core Parallelism.

You're welcome to believe what you want. It doesn't make sense to intentionally cripple and hobble the CPU. There is no logic there.
Why is nvidia still using the defunct and now obsolete x87 path when "SSE" is the way to go about it. x87 is vastly slower than SSE "there is no technical reason for nvidia to use x87 SSE is faster in every case we can find" "nvidia had to go out of there way to make it x87, and that wasn't by accident it could not have been"
Old 06-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #222
SirPauly
Diamond Member

Hehe, there is not much more I can do for you. Investigate PhysX SDK 3.0 and get back to me.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #223
Gordon Freemen
Banned

Quote:
Hehe, there is not much more I can do for you. Investigate PhysX SDK 3.0.
Some people truly believe in that a placebo is actually working for them me though I prefer truth and facts. I have displayed irrefutable Facts that are undeniable with links provided and anybody with reason can see that nvidia Physx is a sham after they read these articles I have posted.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #224
SirPauly
Diamond Member

Some may actually even believe it and sad to see actually. nVidia is doing good work with Physics and placing resources where their mouth is. My nit-pick is the lack of GPU Physic content and desire more.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #225
Gordon Freemen
Banned

Quote:
Some may actually even believe it and sad to see actually. nVidia is doing good work with Physics and placing resources where their mouth is. My nit-pick is the lack of GPU Physic content and desire more.
Perhaps if Nvidia adopted SSE instructions like everyone else then there would be more excellent Physx/Physics content. It makes sense to me why they are fighting the giant that is Intel for it will be a losing battle for nvidia as depicted by as you say lack of nvidia GPU Physic content. If nvidia gives up on there x87 affiliation/Scam then they would be giving up on one of there biggest money making features "Physx" that they have already long ago sealed there fate on & rolled the dice and sunk far to much resources and money into. Also I think nvidia does not want to or cannot admit that they have failed with "Physx" so we will just see it fade away like it has been as it gets implemented in fewer and fewer games over the next years to come. How long can nvidia keep paying off developers to implement a broken and old tech that is inferior is beyond me and anyone's guess but like I said Physx is a dieing breed.