Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > Video Cards and Graphics

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #201
Gordon Freemen
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolMiester View Post
LOL, RS is probably the most knowledgeable and valued member of this forum.....To say he is biased and has an agenda show just how wrong you are...goodbye!
Even "Vauled" and long time standing members/mods can be biased and often are more so susceptible to becoming jaded for are they not human ? and do they not have an opinion and EGO ? One "Valued" members opinion is just that an Opinion and I suggest not just going along with the "heard" and instead doing your own research and developing your own opinion and take on a given topic, product, rational, or reasoning ect ect ect.
Gordon Freemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #202
SlowSpyder
Diamond Member
 
SlowSpyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,833
Default

Just out of curiosity and somewhat off topic, but I feel as the tessellation thing has been blown out of proportion in general. Are there any games that a 5870 cannot play due to tessellation? I know there are some games where it appears that the 5870 hasn't aged as well as Nvidia cards, but have we gotten to a point where the 5870 tessellator is really a bigger problem than the GPU horsepower it has or the 1GB of memory most are equipped with?
__________________
Steve
FX 9370 / 7970 / ASRock 990FX Extreme 9
GO PACKERS!
SlowSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #203
Gordon Freemen
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSpyder View Post
Just out of curiosity and somewhat off topic, but I feel as the tessellation thing has been blown out of proportion in general. Are there any games that a 5870 cannot play due to tessellation? I know there are some games where it appears that the 5870 hasn't aged as well as Nvidia cards, but have we gotten to a point where the 5870 tessellator is really a bigger problem than the GPU horsepower it has or the 1GB of memory most are equipped with?
Tessellation is IMHO akin to Physx which is more or less a kitschy gimmick novelty but not the way of the future like for instance DX technology. I would not put much weight in my own purchase of a GPU based on it's "Tessellation" performance.
Gordon Freemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #204
blackened23
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Freemen View Post
Tessellation is IMHO akin to Physx which is more or less a kitschy gimmick novelty but not the way of the future like for instance DX technology. I would not put much weight in my own purchase of a GPU based on it's "Tessellation" performance.
Huh?!
blackened23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #205
chimaxi83
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Freemen View Post
Tessellation is IMHO akin to Physx which is more or less a kitschy gimmick novelty but not the way of the future like for instance DX technology. I would not put much weight in my own purchase of a GPU based on it's "Tessellation" performance.
You seriously, without a doubt, absolutely have ZERO idea of what you're talking about. You've confirmed it (again).
__________________
Mine: 3770K - MSI Z77 MPower - Gigabyte 290 CF - 16GB Samsung - M4 256GB/Caviar Black 1TB - XFX Core Pro 1050W - NZXT Switch 810 - Auria IPS 27" 2560x1440 - Custom loop
Kiddo: 3770K - MSI Z77A-G43 - 7870 Tahiti LE - 8GB Samsung - M4 64GB/Caviar Black 1TB - Antec Neo Eco 620W - HAF 922
chimaxi83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #206
Gordon Freemen
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimaxi83 View Post
You seriously, without a doubt, absolutely have ZERO idea of what you're talking about. You've confirmed it (again).
What are you on about trolling again how about explaining instead of trolling me.
Gordon Freemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #207
Gordon Freemen
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackened23 View Post
Huh?!
Question: Just out of curiosity and somewhat off topic, but I feel as the tessellation thing has been blown out of proportion in general.

Answer: Tessellation is IMHO akin to Physx which is more or less a kitschy gimmick novelty but not the way of the future like for instance DX technology. I would not put much weight in my own purchase of a GPU based on it's "Tessellation" performance.

"blackened23" How is it so hard to understand must I spell it out ?
Gordon Freemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #208
blackened23
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,556
Default

Good grief, you make my head hurt. Tesssellation makes flat surfaces appear to be much more life like and detailed, it is not just a gimmick.
blackened23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #209
SirPauly
Diamond Member
 
SirPauly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,854
Default

GPU Physics to me is not a gimmick based on there is tangible strengths that GPU processing offers. It is insane not to try to take advantage of both the GPU and CPU strengths.

Tessellation offers more realism and fidelity to models and environments and it's about time.
SirPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #210
NIGELG
Senior Member
 
NIGELG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 788
Default

PhysX fail,Physics cool.

Tessellation is wonderful
__________________
Sapphire AMD Radeon 7970 OC
Intel 3570K with Coolermaster EVO CPU Cooler
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR 3 RAM@1600Mhz
Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
Dell IPS 1080P Monitor
Soundblaster Titanium X Fi HD/ Audioengine A5+/S8
NIGELG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #211
Gordon Freemen
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPauly View Post
GPU Physics to me is not a gimmick based on there is tangible strengths that GPU processing offers. It is insane not to try to take advantage of both the GPU and CPU strengths.

Tessellation offers more realism and fidelity to models and environments and it's about time.
Nvidia purposefully hobbles Physx on the CPU
http://semiaccurate.com/2010/07/07/n...les-physx-cpu/
Gordon Freemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #212
SolMiester
Diamond Member
 
SolMiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Napier, New Zealand
Posts: 4,780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Freemen View Post
Even "Vauled" and long time standing members/mods can be biased and often are more so susceptible to becoming jaded for are they not human ? and do they not have an opinion and EGO ? One "Valued" members opinion is just that an Opinion and I suggest not just going along with the "heard" and instead doing your own research and developing your own opinion and take on a given topic, product, rational, or reasoning ect ect ect.
Blah blah blah Mr Freeman!.....you can say what you like, but RS IMHO is the most unbiased poster here, unlike you and I.....He always backs up he opinion too...but whatever dude.....Oh, and yes I do my research, I have too being as I have been in the industry for over 20 yrs!
__________________
HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS DC GTX660OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP ML350G5 2012 Host-Plex/W8/MINT..
My Super 6 Calais

Last edited by SolMiester; 06-12-2012 at 05:26 PM.
SolMiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #213
SirPauly
Diamond Member
 
SirPauly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,854
Default

GPU PhysX content has been sparse but will see if there is any momentum with the new software from nVidia for developers. As a vocal advocate for GPU Physics been underwhelmed by the sparse content from nVidia and absolutely no content from AMD.
SirPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #214
SirPauly
Diamond Member
 
SirPauly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,854
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Freemen View Post
Nvidia purposefully hobbles Physx on the CPU
http://semiaccurate.com/2010/07/07/n...les-physx-cpu/
nVida improved CPU PhysX with version 3.0. Most PhysX titles are CPU PhysX and doesn't make sense to forsake Physics and the CPU. Also, nVidia is evangelizing PhysX for mobile as well. It is in nVidia's own interest to offer robust physics for the CPU, GPU, mobile and other platforms.

That article didn't make any logical sense.
SirPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #215
MrK6
Diamond Member
 
MrK6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSpyder View Post
Just out of curiosity and somewhat off topic, but I feel as the tessellation thing has been blown out of proportion in general. Are there any games that a 5870 cannot play due to tessellation? I know there are some games where it appears that the 5870 hasn't aged as well as Nvidia cards, but have we gotten to a point where the 5870 tessellator is really a bigger problem than the GPU horsepower it has or the 1GB of memory most are equipped with?
There are actually, Batman: AA I think is one. But to play the devil's advocate, what does that much tessellation actually give you? Not a whole lot, it just over saturates to the point of killing weaker tessellation engines (I wonder why? ).

To chime in on the thread topic, they're both OK. I really just prefer whichever is sucking less at the moment. For awhile it was NVIDIA, then AMD, now I think it's swinging back again. But that's what you get in a market with little competition.
__________________
My "For Sale" Thread
| Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced with custom water cooling | Seasonic X650 | Core i5-2500K @ 5.0GHz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 | 2x4096MB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 @ 2134MHz 10-11-10-30 | 256GB Samsung 830 | 2x 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F4 in RAID 1 | Gigabyte HD 7970 @ 1300MHz/1750MHz | Dell 30" 3007WFP-HC |
[6950 -> 7970 Overclocking User Review] [5850 -> 6950 Mini-Review]
MrK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #216
SirPauly
Diamond Member
 
SirPauly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,854
Default

But you're expecting someone to believe that not only nVidia but Crytech and EA has malicious and nefarious intent with their planning on their title Crysis 2.
SirPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #217
Magic Carpet
Golden Member
 
Magic Carpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Freemen View Post
Nvidia purposefully hobbles Physx on the CPU
http://semiaccurate.com/2010/07/07/n...les-physx-cpu/
Interesting read. Thanks.
Magic Carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #218
Gordon Freemen
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPauly View Post
nVida improved CPU PhysX with version 3.0. Most PhysX titles are CPU PhysX and doesn't make sense to forsake Physics and the CPU. Also, nVidia is evangelizing PhysX for mobile as well. It is in nVidia's own interest to offer robust physics for the CPU, GPU, mobile and other platforms.

That article didn't make any logical sense.
Of course to a Green team fan that article would seem preposterous LOL and to think that nvidia would down play one of there most highlighted and marketed GPU features which is Physx by nvidia is just not good business sense. nvidia is not your friend they are a "Money making corporation" and Physx is just another ploy to pull in more revenue.
http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cf...WT070510142143
Gordon Freemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #219
SirPauly
Diamond Member
 
SirPauly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,854
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Freemen View Post
Of course to a Green team fan that article would seem preposterous LOL and to think that nvidia would down play one of there most highlighted and marketed GPU features which is Physx by nvidia is just not good business sense. nvidia is not your friend they are a "Money making corporation" and Physx is just another ploy to pull in more revenue.
http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cf...WT070510142143
The older CPU methods were left over from Ageia/ x87 and nVidia spent their early resources trying to port PhysX and receive some content. With PhysX 3 -- CPU optimizations are in place and so is CPU core Parallelism.

You're welcome to believe what you want. It doesn't make sense to intentionally cripple and hobble the CPU. There is no logic there.
SirPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #220
Gordon Freemen
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPauly View Post
GPU PhysX content has been sparse but will see if there is any momentum with the new software from nVidia for developers. As a vocal advocate for GPU Physics been underwhelmed by the sparse content from nVidia and absolutely no content from AMD.
"The 2-4x advantage nvdia claims for the GPU Physx is only when they hobble the CPU. If they didn't the CPU would have a 4-8x performance advantage on nvidia own "Physx" API."
http://semiaccurate.com/2010/07/07/n...les-physx-cpu/
Gordon Freemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #221
Gordon Freemen
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPauly View Post
The older CPU methods were left over from Ageia/ x87 and nVidia spent their early resources trying to port PhysX and receive some content. With PhysX 3 -- CPU optimizations are in place and so is CPU core Parallelism.

You're welcome to believe what you want. It doesn't make sense to intentionally cripple and hobble the CPU. There is no logic there.
Why is nvidia still using the defunct and now obsolete x87 path when "SSE" is the way to go about it. x87 is vastly slower than SSE "there is no technical reason for nvidia to use x87 SSE is faster in every case we can find" "nvidia had to go out of there way to make it x87, and that wasn't by accident it could not have been"
http://semiaccurate.com/2010/07/07/n...les-physx-cpu/
http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cf...WT070510142143
Gordon Freemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #222
SirPauly
Diamond Member
 
SirPauly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,854
Default

Hehe, there is not much more I can do for you. Investigate PhysX SDK 3.0 and get back to me.
SirPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #223
Gordon Freemen
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPauly View Post
Hehe, there is not much more I can do for you. Investigate PhysX SDK 3.0.
Some people truly believe in that a placebo is actually working for them me though I prefer truth and facts. I have displayed irrefutable Facts that are undeniable with links provided and anybody with reason can see that nvidia Physx is a sham after they read these articles I have posted.
Gordon Freemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #224
SirPauly
Diamond Member
 
SirPauly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,854
Default

Some may actually even believe it and sad to see actually. nVidia is doing good work with Physics and placing resources where their mouth is. My nit-pick is the lack of GPU Physic content and desire more.
SirPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #225
Gordon Freemen
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPauly View Post
Some may actually even believe it and sad to see actually. nVidia is doing good work with Physics and placing resources where their mouth is. My nit-pick is the lack of GPU Physic content and desire more.
Perhaps if Nvidia adopted SSE instructions like everyone else then there would be more excellent Physx/Physics content. It makes sense to me why they are fighting the giant that is Intel for it will be a losing battle for nvidia as depicted by as you say lack of nvidia GPU Physic content. If nvidia gives up on there x87 affiliation/Scam then they would be giving up on one of there biggest money making features "Physx" that they have already long ago sealed there fate on & rolled the dice and sunk far to much resources and money into. Also I think nvidia does not want to or cannot admit that they have failed with "Physx" so we will just see it fade away like it has been as it gets implemented in fewer and fewer games over the next years to come. How long can nvidia keep paying off developers to implement a broken and old tech that is inferior is beyond me and anyone's guess but like I said Physx is a dieing breed.
Gordon Freemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.