· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 06-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
techwanabe
Diamond Member

Default Wireless Adapter WPA2-PSK

I just moved to a new place and was connecting to the wireless router. I connected the first computer successfully having put in the password to the wireless. It has a PCI Linksys wireless G adapter and connected user WPA2-PSK with AES encryption.

I went to connect the 2nd computer, which is an older Dell with a Dell Wireless 1450 USB wireless adapter and searched for the available signals. It did not even detect the SSID of the wireless, nor several others that the Linksys did. I had a Belkin Wireless G USB adaptor so I down loaded the drivers and installed it. This time it detected the SSID, but it would not connect saying "validating identity"something about a certificate.

I notice in the on the computer which successfully connected, under network authentication, it has WPA2-PSK in the drop down box. The computer that will not connect does not have WP2 in the dropdown box. The computer which will connect, shows under wireless networks the network I am connected "security enabled wireless network (WPA2) so it looks like it auto connected using that type.

My question is, are my two USB adapters I have tried to use on the other (non-connected Dell) too outdated to connect because the WPA2 option is not in the dropdown box, or ... can they still be used but the software has to be updated?

The Belkin Wireless G (I downloaded what appeared to be the only available drivers from their own website for example).
Old 06-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
stahlhart
Super Moderator
Video Cards & Graphics

The Dell is going to need an adapter that supports WPA2, unless you roll everything on the network back to the lowest common denominator, security-wise (not recommended). If the adapter in question didn't support WPA2 out of the box, I doubt that a software upgrade will change anything.
stahlhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
techwanabe
Diamond Member

Just to be sure, I did a search and there was a newer driver for the Dell Wireless 1450 adapter and now WPA2 is available in the dropdown box. It looks like the driver release from Jan 2006 provided WPA2 support.

Strangely, I still do not see the SSID in the available wireless networks.

Update:

Even though the SSID was not showing up in the list of available networks on this PC, I was able to add it in "Wireless networks" and select WPA2-PSK and AES as the encryption type, and fill in the password.

I don't know why the other computer shows it and this one doesn't but after manually adding it and I was able to force the connection now that the new driver supports WPA2.

Interestingly, when I did web searches on the topic of my adapter and WPA2, all the forum replies simply said tough luck, you need a new adaptor. As luck would have it there as an updated driver on Dells website that offered WPA2 support.

Last edited by techwanabe; 06-03-2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: update info
techwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
techwanabe
Diamond Member

Update: Not completely out of the woods yet. I have wireless but now I get a popup as follows:

! Select Location

To optimize your wireless performance, please select your location in the Advanced Tab of driver properties

Click "Advanced..." below to do this now

Note for optimal performance, update the location setting whenever traveling as appropriate.

There doesn't seem to be a location option when I click on the Advanced button. If I hit "Exit", the dialogue box just keeps popping open. Very ann0ying.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
stahlhart
Super Moderator
Video Cards & Graphics

I don't see a "location" setting here, either. But that's great that you got WPA2 enabled with new drivers at least.

Mabye there's a registry setting to disable the popup, if all else is working?
Old 06-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
techwanabe
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stahlhart View Post
I don't see a "location" setting here, either. But that's great that you got WPA2 enabled with new drivers at least.

Mabye there's a registry setting to disable the popup, if all else is working?
Thats what I was thinking, I might have to dig around in the registry. Google searches on the error didn't turn up an answers - except for one place which wanted me to register for a 30 day trial and the pay. Ain't that how it is? =/

If anyone has a clue, do share - I'll dig aournd - it's still popping up. I was hoping to avoid buying yet another wireless network adaptor.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
stahlhart
Super Moderator
Video Cards & Graphics

Something else I thought of -- are you running some sort of vendor-provided application/utility for managing the wireless adapter? Is it possible to set the adapter up (assuming you're running Windows 7) in "Manage Wireless Networks" under Control Panel --> Network and Sharing Center without it?

Mabye the vendor utility in the drivers, if you're running one, is what's throwing that popup.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
techwanabe
Diamond Member

I'm still in the dark ages on Win XP at least until I finally have to buy a new computer. These two old Dells are soldering on for now (Dimension 8400 and Dimension 9100). The 9100 is the one with the USB Wireless adapter.

The computer only has the drivers supplied from Dell, and the current driver is the one I downloaded to add the WPA2 ability so I could pick up the wiress here where I live now. When I websearched for the error, it appears a few other folks were complaining of the same popup.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
stahlhart
Super Moderator
Video Cards & Graphics

Are you still not seeing your SSID listed as an available network at this point? I wonder if the two issues are related.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
techwanabe
Diamond Member

Yes, the SSID still does not show up in the View Wireless Networks.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
stahlhart
Super Moderator
Video Cards & Graphics

Does it show any SSIDs at all? I wonder if you can search for the string value for one of them in the registry (which should lead you to where the drivers store them, if they're not in an an .INI or data file), and manually create one in that same key for yours.

Have you tried running something like Net Stumbler to see if you can see your access point from the PC this way?

Just curious if the reason you're getting the popup is that the drivers don't know or realize you're connected, because the SSID isn't in the list where it can acknowledge its existence.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
techwanabe
Diamond Member

Yes, the list of wireless networks within range shows around 8 to 10, all of the secured.

I haven't tried Netstumbler myself although I am aware of it because I had to take and pass the Security Plus certification exam for my job.

The fact that the SSID I am connected to doesn't show up in the list stikes me as "wrong". When that happened originally, I plugged a different (Belkin) USB wireless adaptor, and then I could see the SSID in the list. However, the Belkin didn't seem to have support for WPA2 so I switched back to the DEL wireless adaptor and found the newer driver with WPA2 support. That got me connected on that computer but now with popups. But I think you are onto something with the SSID not showing as advertised in the available wireless networks. There are two other SSID"s I can see on the other PC, that also are missing on this one with the Dell 1450 Wireless adaptor.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
stahlhart
Super Moderator
Video Cards & Graphics

I was thinking of it in terms of getting a second opinion on the Dell driver's inability to see the correct SSID -- if, say, the Dell utility didn't see it, but NetStumber did, then it might only be an issue with the connection utility. If neither saw the SSID, it may an issue deeper in the WLAN drivers.