· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 06-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #101
gmaster456
Golden Member

The issue with running it on most netbooks is that their resolution is too low for the minimum requirement for Win8.
gmaster456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #102
dagamer34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaap View Post
Wow. Now this is what you call your classic smokescreen and dodge.

Heh. Also, you don't seem to really grasp the idea behind the whole "selling someone a bridge" concept, which is pretty ironic.

Clue: you COULD actually sell someone a bridge made out of toothpicks.

Meanwhile, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you. Cheap. I get the feeling you'd take me up on it.
http://www.pisymphony.com/toothpick/toothpick13.jpg

That'll be $100!
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #103
KeypoX
Diamond Member

well multimonitor support is much better with metro now. You can have main monitor as desktop and drag metro to secondary and it will stay there. But still cannot have the start on secondary while working on primary, you must be in an app for that to work. Treat start like an app.

Metro has some bugs still, mouse scrolling is bugging in 3rd party apps. But its ok, doesn't really need to be full screen. Live titles need work.

Overall improved but im still not sold on the full screen metro yet... I will probably upgrade though, the desktop experience is about the same with some improvements.
KeypoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #104
Ichinisan
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeypoX View Post
well multimonitor support is much better with metro now. You can have main monitor as desktop and drag metro to secondary and it will stay there. But still cannot have the start on secondary while working on primary, you must be in an app for that to work. Treat start like an app.

Metro has some bugs still, mouse scrolling is bugging in 3rd party apps. But its ok, doesn't really need to be full screen. Live titles need work.

Overall improved but im still not sold on the full screen metro yet... I will probably upgrade though, the desktop experience is about the same with some improvements.
Even though my POST / bootloader info appears on my computer LCD, the computer boots-up to a blank screen and Windows loads on my TV. I have to switch sources to set my monitor as the primary display. Even then, the "Devices" option in the side menu refers to the monitor as the "second display" and the TV as the "main display." It seems there's no way to change it without reinstalling Windows while the TV is disconnected.

Ugh.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #105
Ichinisan
Lifer

Windows 8 did something to ruin my Media Center HTPC. I'm not sure exactly what it did. Something to do w/ the Windows 8 EFI boot loader.

I already had Windows 8 Customer Preview running and it has had serious reliability issues with Media Center (spontaneous crashes that didn't happen when I was using Win7, can't search the guide, etc). Most of the recorded TV content is DRM-protected and encrypted such that it can only be viewed by the Windows installation that created it. I decided that I would shrink the partition and install Windows 8 Release Preview to the second partition. That way, I could still go back to the old CP install and watch / delete the TV content. To make sure it would work, I tested with a 120GB SSD attached to my desktop computer...which already had a CP install. I shrunk the partition using Windows' built-in Disk Management utility, booted the Win8 RP disc, and selected the unallocated space for the install. It installed fine and there's a new-style graphical bootloader that allows me to pick the old CP install or the new RP install. Both installs would boot-up fine.

I went back to the HTPC and attempted to do the same thing. At first, it made me wait a long time before telling me that it couldn't shrink the partition (after telling me that it could). After a couple more attempts it finally allowed it.

Win8 RP booted-up fine initially. I don't remember what I did immediately after boot-up. I think I activated Windows and then went tried the "Add features" option with the Media Center product key that Microsoft provided for Win8 RP. It had to reboot to finish installing Media Center and ended-up on a black screen with a flashing cursor, which would not go away. I had to leave for work. When I got home, I still couldn't get past the black screen with the blinking cursor. My E35M1-M Pro BIOS showed my optical drive about 4 times, and some were labeled "EFI." A "Windows Boot Manager" also appeared as a device in my boot priority (?!?). I remember trying different boot devices, and I think I was able to boot Win8 RP at some point, but not reliably. As many times as I tried reinstalling yesterday / this morning, I can hardly remember anything. In any case, I ended-up reinstalling and deleting all partitions from the hard drive. On subsequent installs, Win8 RP refused to activate. I had to enter "SLUI 4" in the Run menu and call the phone number to activate through the automated phone system (huge pain in the ass). Even after doing that, it would de-activate after installing Media Center and I'd have to do it again. Then, Media Center requires me to activate digital cable support and it refuses to activate.

I reinstalled Win8 RP many times last night, deleting all partitions each time. Still, I keep getting stuck on a black screen w/ a blinking cursor upon rebooting sometime after the install. There doesn't seem to be a way to delete the "EFI Windows Boot Manager" that now appears in my boot sequence.

I tried going back to Windows 7 and installed some updates. Even Windows 7 can't activate digital cable support. Tried to reboot it this morning and it won't boot up.

It seems that this "EFI Windows Boot Manager" has completely ruined my HTPC and I can't even get Win7 to work correctly now.

I ran out of time, but I'll need to try re-flashing the BIOS or something to see if that gets rid of the Windows Boot Manager...and maybe then I can use the system again.

...and I used 64-bit install discs in all cases.

Last edited by Ichinisan; 06-05-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Ichinisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #106
Gonad the Barbarian
Diamond Member

^ Try this?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392
Old 06-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #107
Ichinisan
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonad the Barbarian View Post
Can't. The problem now prevents me from booting to the same disc I just used to do the last attempted install.

I select the optical drive and I get a screen with a flashing cursor...forever.

[edit]
That was strange. It won't boot when I pick the ODD, unless I pick the entry where the same drive is prefixed by "EFI."

Then I got the "press any key to boot to..." screen TWICE.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #108
gizbug
Platinum Member

so who runs this as their main OS?

Follow me || http://twitter.com/JBoDEAN
gizbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #109
Ichinisan
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizbug View Post
Tried to use the CP as the main OS on my HTPC. Was unstable. Now, the RP seems to have trashed it the computer through firmware/EFI shenanigans; unless I can find a way to make it forget this EFI stuff. I might have to install a 32-bit version to work-around it.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #110
Ichinisan
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichinisan View Post
Tried to use the CP as the main OS on my HTPC. Was unstable. Now, the RP seems to have trashed it the computer through firmware/EFI shenanigans; unless I can find a way to make it forget this EFI stuff. I might have to install a 32-bit version to work-around it.
...and, even when I get the disc to boot by picking the "EFI [TSST...]" device, it does a bunch of things and gets to the point where it's supposed to reboot. Then it does this:

(clickable thumbnail)

...this is with my Windows 7 64-bit disc, which allowed me to install last night and simply couldn't activate digital cable support.

Last edited by Ichinisan; 06-06-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:30 AM   #111
happysmiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizbug View Post
I would if my netbook wasn't 1024x600.
I can push it to 1024x768 but it looks ridiculous and if I live in desktop I might aswell stay with win 7
happysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #112
Continuity28
Golden Member

Tried it. Discounting some driver instability, it seemed fairly solid... when using the classic desktop interface. I just wish they offered the OPTION to have the Windows 7 under-the-hood improvements, stripping out Metro.

The library of software available for the desktop is Microsoft's main selling point with Windows. What concerns me the most is their apparent desire to shift away from all that was established, calling it depreciated, and moving towards Metro which is not built with the same goals in mind. Yes, I'm aware that Windows 8 is compatible with "legacy" applications. But what about Windows 9? After? Microsoft seems to be discouraging development of those applications and games. Are we going to have to deal with issues like accounting for touchscreens and tablet hardware/software limitations for all future desktop applications? Are we going to eventually have to resort to running Windows 7/8 or emulation to run any now-current games or other software? Is Metro even capable of having complex games and other software like we are used to?

I'll be honest here. The only thing holding me to Windows right now is video game support. Everything else I could do just fine on Linux.
Continuity28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #113
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuity28 View Post
I just wish they offered the OPTION to have the Windows 7 under-the-hood improvements, stripping out Metro.
If they allowed you to not use Metro, no one would use Metro. And then they wouldn't be able to leverage Windows to get developers on-board for Metro and WinRT tablets.
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them

Last edited by ViRGE; 06-06-2012 at 05:39 PM.
ViRGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #114
happysmiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViRGE View Post
If they allowed you to use Metro, no one would use Metro. And then they wouldn't be able to leverage Windows to get developers on-board for Metro and WinRT.
Only now after seeing Computex does that make sense to me. it's all in for Microsoft.
happysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #115
gmaster456
Golden Member

Interesting video they showed at computex

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/...a-67dfe8aa6e9c
gmaster456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #116
Binky
Diamond Member

Quote:
...and, even when I get the disc to boot by picking the "EFI [TSST...]" device, it does a bunch of things and gets to the point where it's supposed to reboot. Then it does this:

**massive pic deleted**

...this is with my Windows 7 64-bit disc, which allowed me to install last night and simply couldn't activate digital cable support.
Your gigantic and slow-loading picture is breaking the whole thread....
Binky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #117
JackMDS
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Many business are planning in the last year to move from XP to Win 7. Businesses are Not Enthusiasts that jump every other week from one Gimick/Gizmo according to the current Fashion.

It takes time and money to move a Medium and large IT systems and the decision to go with Win 7 is Not going to be changed.

The future move of Businesses will probably follow the skip pattern, then in few years they will move to what be "Win 9".

Thus it is actually a good idea to introduce Metro with Win 8, by the time that Win 9 would come users will be Ready to the change on the Business level too.

For the regular Jack and Jill that mainly do FaceBook, Surf, Netflix, Skype, etc., Win 8 would be probably better than Win 7.

That leaves out the "poor" enthusiasts who typically suffer from Strategic Myopia that usually leads to the general excessive complains syndrome. Well for them there is Therapy, unfortunately if it Not supported by Insurance, it is over $100 an Hour. - - - - .

Last edited by JackMDS; 06-06-2012 at 09:23 PM.
JackMDS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #118
Ichinisan
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky View Post
Your gigantic and slow-loading picture is breaking the whole thread....
It's a cell phone pic (iPhone 4). I'll make a thumbnail that loads the full version...

[edit]
Done.

Last edited by Ichinisan; 06-06-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #119
VirtualLarry
Lifer

Quote:

(clickable thumbnail)

I got that error screen after attemping to boot a Live Win8 CP USB stick (32GB), on a new machine.
"DON'T BUY INTEL, they will send secret signals down the internet, which
will considerably slow down your computer". - SOFTengCOMPelec
VirtualLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #120
Continuity28
Golden Member

Quote:
If they allowed you to not use Metro, no one would use Metro. And then they wouldn't be able to leverage Windows to get developers on-board for Metro and WinRT tablets.
They are asking me, a desktop user, to pay for their future in tablet sales while also telling me that my days are numbered when they remove support for "legacy" applications on the desktop in a future Windows version.
Continuity28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #121
VivienM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuity28 View Post
They are asking me, a desktop user, to pay for their future in tablet sales while also telling me that my days are numbered when they remove support for "legacy" applications on the desktop in a future Windows version.
Yes. Welll, more importantly, what they're asking is for you to be counted as a Metro user. They are desperate to look like they're catching up to Apple's 80M+ tablet installed base.

(Though I don't think they'll actually be stupid enough to pull the plug on the 'legacy desktop' in Win9/10, or in fact, ever. They're not Apple, killing off classic apps, then PPC, etc.)
VivienM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #122
Dominato3r
Diamond Member

People bitching about no free vs for desktop

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/6/9/...indows-desktop
Dominato3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #123
Ichinisan
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominato3r View Post
People bitching about no free vs for desktop

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/6/9/...indows-desktop
It took me several minutes to understand your post because most people read "vs" as "versus," not "Visual Studio."
Old 06-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #124
Dominato3r
Diamond Member

Quote:
It took me several minutes to understand your post because most people read "vs" as "versus," not "Visual Studio."
Sorry, tend to shortcut a lot on my phone. Pretty much Visual Studio Express will allow for desktop development, something Microsoft said it wouldn't.
Dominato3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #125
Zaap
Diamond Member

Quote:
If they allowed you to not use Metro, no one would use Metro.
LOL. Apple builds a walled garden around iOS so Microsoft decides to go one better and build a Berlin Wall around Metro.

Now that's progress!