· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 10-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
Dorkenstein
Diamond Member

Default hard drive light stays on, dvd drive disappears

Some times when I turn on my pc and get to windows vista, I notice that the hard drive indicator light never turns off. When it does that, each time I look, my phyisical sata dvd drive is gone from My Computer and I can't access it, even see it in Disk Management.

I think its either from when I put everything into a new case, or I installed something with drivers that do this. But I am leaning toward something physical, although I don't know exactly what.

I do know that when I put my drives into my new case, it was a VERY tight fit because of where my sata ports are located on my motherboard, which is a Biostar T-Power I45. If anyone could help me with this problem I would appreciate it. Of course I can get the dvd drive back usually by re-booting but I would like to rid myself of the problem altogether.

HEATWARE
Dorkenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:33 AM   #2
nboy22
Diamond Member

This sounds like something weird is going on with the actual SATA controller chip. Start by checking the physical connections, make sure the power and the SATA cord is plugged in tightly, or replace the SATA cord/try a different power connector to make sure that isn't the issue. Also, you say the hard drive indicator light never turns off, which is probably telling us that this is more of a hardware issue with the cables or a problem on the motherboard.

I would start by switching out the cables and making sure they are tightly connected and reinstalling the drivers.

Also, verify that all the little wires for the HDD light, power light, power switch, reset switch, and speaker are correctly connected with a solid, tight connection.

Other than that these problems can be hard so trying this on a new/different motherboard might be required, but hey, welcome to computer troubleshooting - it's a pain in the ass!

Hope this helps

Heatware: bclark22
nboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
Dorkenstein
Diamond Member

Well I thought I had it fixed since I removed a hard drive that had been giving me trouble, and voila! For almost two days the problem was gone. It's back this morning. All the cables are seated firmly, I don't have enough of them to swap the old ones out. I am thinking that my motherboard must be damaged or something because sometimes the computer will take a really really long time to post and then it won't recognize all my drives again. And also occasionally the Vista "Loading" screen won't make any progress for a minute or two.

If I did indeed damage my motherboard I am curious as to why it didn't manifest itself immediately afterwards, but instead it worked fine for over two weeks before starting to misbehave.

HEATWARE
Old 10-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
nboy22
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dorkenstein
Well I thought I had it fixed since I removed a hard drive that had been giving me trouble, and voila! For almost two days the problem was gone. It's back this morning. All the cables are seated firmly, I don't have enough of them to swap the old ones out. I am thinking that my motherboard must be damaged or something because sometimes the computer will take a really really long time to post and then it won't recognize all my drives again. And also occasionally the Vista "Loading" screen won't make any progress for a minute or two.

If I did indeed damage my motherboard I am curious as to why it didn't manifest itself immediately afterwards, but instead it worked fine for over two weeks before starting to misbehave.
It might just be the actual drive controllers on the motherboard as I mentioned before. You could possibly put in a SATA expansion card but I don't know if you will be able to boot from it because I don't have much experience with the SATA expansion cards, or SATA in general because I just switched over from IDE myself a few months ago.

But as for your other questions, electronics are weird. This type of things can and will happen with electonics, they can be fidgety

Heatware: bclark22
nboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Dorkenstein
Diamond Member

Okay update, I believed I fixed it again once I took out a bad hard drive. The problem went away for an even longer period of time this time. Now I just burned a DVD with my external burner, and the HDD light is stuck on and the physical internal DVD drive is not showing in My Computer.

HEATWARE
Old 10-15-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
Dorkenstein
Diamond Member

Well just now I turned my pc on for the first time today and it took a REALLY long time at the windows login screen, once I logged in I was stuck at a black screen with just the mouse moving around. So I restarted and then twice in a row I was held up for about 2 minutes at the POST screen and the bios/motherboard didn't detect all my drives.

I guess my next question is, should I re-install windows or does this sound more like a damaged motherboard? Thanks again, sorry if I am not descriptive enough.

HEATWARE
Old 10-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #7
Dorkenstein
Diamond Member

Could this be fixed by using a sata add-in controller card? I have run out of ideas. If anyone had a similar problem and fixed it this way let me know. Thanks.

HEATWARE
Old 10-19-2008, 06:09 PM   #8
myocardia
Diamond Member

If I were you, the first thing I would do is download and run Memtest HCI overnight. From the problems you've described, you could be having either motherboard or system RAM problems. Always start your troubleshooting with the easiest and simplest (along with cheapest) things first. You'd be surprised at how often the simplest things are the ones that have failed (fuses in a car come to mind).
myocardia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
michec

I think it might be a power supply issue. Sometimes your computer is running and it is supplying enough power to power everything. Sometimes it doesn't provide enough power and some of your devices can't run properly. Taking out a hard drive helped because that's one less thing to power. I don't think adding in another controller card would help because that would require power as well. An external burner would draw power from the USB port. It might be helpful if you list what components are in your system and tell us what power supply you are using (and how old it is).
michec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:32 AM   #10
KGB
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: myocardia
If I were you, the first thing I would do is download and run Memtest HCI overnight. From the problems you've described, you could be having either motherboard or system RAM problems. Always start your troubleshooting with the easiest and simplest (along with cheapest) things first. You'd be surprised at how often the simplest things are the ones that have failed (fuses in a car come to mind).
This is very good advice and I would add clearing the CMOS.