Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > CPUs and Overclocking

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals
· Free Stuff
· Contests and Sweepstakes
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
HURRIC4NE
Member
 
HURRIC4NE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 172
Default Best motherboard + cpu combo for under $250?

hi!

i was thinking of upgrading my old socket 1156 stuff, and have $250 to spare, i cannot sell what i have right now cause i gave it to my younger sibling to play with, however, i want something thats easy to OC since i got a H100 to cool it with and i do a lot of photoshopping and playing games online

so far i came up with an i3 and cheap motherboards, but i still dont feel like its the right choice...
__________________
Asus Radeon HD 7850
Intel i7 4770K 4.4 GHZ (Corsair H100)
16GB DDR3 @2100 9-10-10 (8gbX2)
MSI Z87-G41 PC-MATE (DO NOT BUY THIS BOARD)
240 GB Corsair Force 3 series
Thermeltake Chaser MK-1
HURRIC4NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
AtenRa
Diamond Member
 
AtenRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Athens Greece
Posts: 5,760
Default

If you are not near a Micro Center i will suggest the following,

ASUS M5A97 EVO AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
$114.99

A complete motherboard with tones of features and nice for OC with UEFI BIOS.

AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6100WMGUSBX
$139.99

Just OC to 4.2GHz or above and you will be fine for every game. You will also have 6 threads for MultiThreaded applications. Next year you will be able to upgrade to an 8-core PileDriver.
__________________
Thief : Mantle CPU Scaling and Power evaluation
(10 CPUs at default and Overclock, including Power Consumption)
AtenRa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
borisvodofsky
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtenRa View Post
If you are not near a Micro Center i will suggest the following,

ASUS M5A97 EVO AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
$114.99

A complete motherboard with tones of features and nice for OC with UEFI BIOS.

AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6100WMGUSBX
$139.99

Just OC to 4.2GHz or above and you will be fine for every game. You will also have 6 threads for MultiThreaded applications. Next year you will be able to upgrade to an 8-core PileDriver.
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

stop stop stop stop.....

DO NOT BUY AMD, PERIOD, eat top-ramen for 2 weeks, and save up $350 total for an i5 2500k and a z68 motherboard.
__________________
2500k | 4.8ghz | 1.33v
borisvodofsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:15 AM   #4
AtenRa
Diamond Member
 
AtenRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Athens Greece
Posts: 5,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisvodofsky View Post
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

stop stop stop stop.....

DO NOT BUY AMD, PERIOD, eat top-ramen for 2 weeks, and save up $350 total for an i5 2500k and a z68 motherboard.
stop stop stop stop.....

DO NOT BUY THE 2500K, dont eat for a couple of months, save $800-1000 and buy the Core i7 3930K with X79 motherboard.
__________________
Thief : Mantle CPU Scaling and Power evaluation
(10 CPUs at default and Overclock, including Power Consumption)
AtenRa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:44 AM   #5
tigersty1e
Golden Member
 
tigersty1e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,949
Default

i know the limit is $250, but i just bought a 3570k and gigabyte z77 ud3h for 300 plus tax at microcenter.

190 for cpu and 50 off a z77 motherboard (the board was 160 - 50 = 110).

price/performance would beat anything out there.
__________________
3570k | Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | 8 GB Samsung
MSI 7950 TF3 | Creative ZXR | Corsair AX650
Crucial M4 64 | WD6400AAKS | Fractal Define R4 | BenQ XL2410T | 7 64-bit Ultimate
tigersty1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:34 AM   #6
2is
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtenRa View Post
stop stop stop stop.....

DO NOT BUY THE 2500K, dont eat for a couple of months, save $800-1000 and buy the Core i7 3930K with X79 motherboard.
That's more reasonable than your first suggestion.
__________________
Intel i7 3770K|240GB Intel SSD 520|Asus P8Z77-V Pro|2x GTX 680 SLI (2GB)|180GB Corsair Force SSD|Corsair TX750|2x8GB DDR3 1600 (1.35v)
2is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:03 AM   #7
blastingcap
Diamond Member
 
blastingcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisvodofsky View Post
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

stop stop stop stop.....

DO NOT BUY AMD, PERIOD, eat top-ramen for 2 weeks, and save up $350 total for an i5 2500k and a z68 motherboard.
Might as well just get a z77 mobo to go w/ the 2500K, instead of a z68, unless the cost difference is prohibitive.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoFox View Post
We had to suffer polygonal boobs for a decade because of selfish corporate reasons.
Main: 3570K + R9 290 + 16GB 1866 + AsRock Extreme4 Z77 + Eyefinity 5760x1080 eIPS
blastingcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:19 AM   #8
T_Yamamoto
Lifer
 
T_Yamamoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North Carolina State University
Posts: 13,649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingcap View Post
Might as well just get a z77 mobo to go w/ the 2500K, instead of a z68, unless the cost difference is prohibitive.
+1 but there is no difference
__________________
i5 4430 | MSI B85M-P33 | Gigabyte Windforce R9 270x | Random 4gb + 2gb RAM
XFX ProSeries 450W | Intel 530 128gb + Toshiba Canvio 1tb External HDD | Windows 7
NZXT Vulcan | Dell E2414H
Heatware | Steam
T_Yamamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
Leyawiin
Golden Member
 
Leyawiin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,792
Default

I'll just assume you're not near a Micro Center:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115077
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128543

Something along these lines would be a decent budget build.
Leyawiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
nonameo
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,917
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyawiin View Post
I'll just assume you're not near a Micro Center:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115077
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128543

Something along these lines would be a decent budget build.
I don't know, personally I think he'd be better off getting a less fancy motherboard but getting a better CPU. ECS still has a deal going for an H61 motherboard at NE for what... 30 bucks after rebate? that + 200$ 2500k = rock, even if you can't overclock it. It's not like you can overclock the 2120 anyway. The big question comes down to if he's going to use things like PCIE 3.0, sata 6 and USB 3. Even then, you can take care of SATA 6 and USB 3 with expansion cards, and PCIE 3 is backward compatible.

Anyway, just something to think about.

edit: nevermind, he wants overclocking. Guess I need to read first >_<

In that case, it's going to be difficult to get overclocking and intel for 250 dollars, and if you go AMD the 2500k + h61 setup might still be faster in some situations, even with an overclocked 8150. However, you're not going to get a good OC board and an 8150 for 250$, and if you're going to spend more, you might as well get the 2500k + an OC motherboard.

You could go for something like an i5 750? I'm assuming your sig is your rig. That would be a nice bump, and you can use your current setup to OC with it. It really wouldn't cost you much, you can probably get one for about 100 used. edit: and then save and wait till you can get a 2500k + good motherboard

Last edited by nonameo; 05-22-2012 at 12:01 PM.
nonameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
blckgrffn
Diamond Member
 
blckgrffn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Blaine, MN
Posts: 6,639
Default

I think ~$100 is probably the floor for a solid motherboard. I've just not had great luck with cheap motherboards.

I'd get at least a z68/z77 as well. My $.02. Might as well get it all without compromise.
__________________
Crunch/Fold for the TeAm! http://forums.anandtech.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

3930k @ 4.2 - GA-UP4 - 2x MSI TF3 7950 - 32GB EL RAM - Seasonic X650 - 840 250GB - U2913WM
blckgrffn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
aaksheytalwar
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,128
Default

Get a biostar z77 with core i5 2500k used
__________________
3770k @ 4.3 with H100i, Asus Z77 Deluxe, Samsung 30nm 4x4gb ddr3 @ 1866 9-9-9-28 1T, MSI R9 290 Gaming 4G, Coolermaster Silent Pro Hybrid 1300 watts, Crucial M4 512gb, 3x Seagate 7200.14 3TB each
aaksheytalwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #13
Leyawiin
Golden Member
 
Leyawiin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameo View Post
edit: nevermind, he wants overclocking. Guess I need to read first >_<
Ah, my bad too about reading carefully! Yeah, the mobo is fine for OCing, but the i3 is kind of useless then.
Leyawiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
zoiks
Lifer
 
zoiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palo Alto,CA
Posts: 11,689
Default

I'm running my FX8120 with 32gb ram at 4.5ghz using the antec H20 620 water cooler.
The motherboard + CPU was for $245 + tax (after $10 MIR) at Microcenter.
I love it actually. Pretty damn good CPU and great performance. Best bang for the buck.
__________________
Palestinians have a right to defend the atrocities waged against them.
USS Liberty. Never forget.
zoiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #15
HURRIC4NE
Member
 
HURRIC4NE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameo View Post
I don't know, personally I think he'd be better off getting a less fancy motherboard but getting a better CPU. ECS still has a deal going for an H61 motherboard at NE for what... 30 bucks after rebate? that + 200$ 2500k = rock, even if you can't overclock it. It's not like you can overclock the 2120 anyway. The big question comes down to if he's going to use things like PCIE 3.0, sata 6 and USB 3. Even then, you can take care of SATA 6 and USB 3 with expansion cards, and PCIE 3 is backward compatible.

Anyway, just something to think about.

edit: nevermind, he wants overclocking. Guess I need to read first >_<

In that case, it's going to be difficult to get overclocking and intel for 250 dollars, and if you go AMD the 2500k + h61 setup might still be faster in some situations, even with an overclocked 8150. However, you're not going to get a good OC board and an 8150 for 250$, and if you're going to spend more, you might as well get the 2500k + an OC motherboard.

You could go for something like an i5 750? I'm assuming your sig is your rig. That would be a nice bump, and you can use your current setup to OC with it. It really wouldn't cost you much, you can probably get one for about 100 used. edit: and then save and wait till you can get a 2500k + good motherboard
well i do use a pci-e 3.0 graphics card (7850) and i have usb 3.0 devices....
__________________
Asus Radeon HD 7850
Intel i7 4770K 4.4 GHZ (Corsair H100)
16GB DDR3 @2100 9-10-10 (8gbX2)
MSI Z87-G41 PC-MATE (DO NOT BUY THIS BOARD)
240 GB Corsair Force 3 series
Thermeltake Chaser MK-1
HURRIC4NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #16
lehtv
Diamond Member
 
lehtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,893
Default

Can't do overclockable Intel for $250 any other way than the MC way:

i5-3570K $190
Asrock Z77 Pro3 $110 - $50 when combo'd with 3570K

=$250

AMD isn't worth it, so if you don't have a MC nearby you'll have to increase budget in order to afford i5-2500K+Z68/Z77 or i5-3570K+Z77 from newegg.
__________________
System specs
lehtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #17
HURRIC4NE
Member
 
HURRIC4NE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehtv View Post
Can't do overclockable Intel for $250 any other way than the MC way:

i5-3570K $190
Asrock Z77 Pro3 $110 - $50 when combo'd with 3570K

=$250

AMD isn't worth it, so if you don't have a MC nearby you'll have to increase budget in order to afford i5-2500K+Z68/Z77 or i5-3570K+Z77 from newegg.
holy mother of god that is a really good deal!

why is microcenter cheap ?? hmm i wonder if there is any around philly
__________________
Asus Radeon HD 7850
Intel i7 4770K 4.4 GHZ (Corsair H100)
16GB DDR3 @2100 9-10-10 (8gbX2)
MSI Z87-G41 PC-MATE (DO NOT BUY THIS BOARD)
240 GB Corsair Force 3 series
Thermeltake Chaser MK-1

Last edited by HURRIC4NE; 05-26-2012 at 03:27 PM.
HURRIC4NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #18
exar333
Diamond Member
 
exar333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Posts: 6,422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehtv View Post
Can't do overclockable Intel for $250 any other way than the MC way:

i5-3570K $190
Asrock Z77 Pro3 $110 - $50 when combo'd with 3570K

=$250

AMD isn't worth it, so if you don't have a MC nearby you'll have to increase budget in order to afford i5-2500K+Z68/Z77 or i5-3570K+Z77 from newegg.
This. No one should really consider anything other than this for around $250, assuming they are close to a MC.
__________________
My Cars:
-2011 DGM WRX Limited
My [Interim as I wait for Haswell-E] Rig:
4670K @ 4.0 Ghz w/ CM 212
GTX 670 @ 1250Core/6772mhz memory
3440x1440 LG 34UM95 QHD Display
exar333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #19
Yuriman
Platinum Member
 
Yuriman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,449
Default

OP, you're going to end up with a PC slower than the one in your sig if you have only $250 to spend, no matter how you look at it. Anything less than a Sandy/Ivy i5 will be a downgrade, expect to spend at least $300 on motherboard/processor to match your old system. You might also need new ram if it's not 1.5v or lower.

Last edited by Yuriman; 05-26-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Yuriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #20
infoiltrator
Senior Member
 
infoiltrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Waterbury, CT
Posts: 647
Default

I have seen some I7 920/940 used motherboard/cpu combos around $200/220.
Generation one.

And the AMD combo is not bad, just not "the best."
__________________
Damn the cost, full build ahead! I wish.
infoiltrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #21
borisvodofsky
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,606
Default

THERE is no point in upgrading from the processor you currently have. It's more than enough for Everything that's currently out.
__________________
2500k | 4.8ghz | 1.33v
borisvodofsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #22
borisvodofsky
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExarKun333 View Post
This. No one should really consider anything other than this for around $250, assuming they are close to a MC.
it's not a pleasant experience overclocking with these budget boards, they don't gotz nuff' phazors.
__________________
2500k | 4.8ghz | 1.33v
borisvodofsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.