· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 04-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
poofyhairguy
Diamond Member

Default MS Buying its Way into the eReader Market

Quote:
Microsoft has invested $300m (185m) in a digital venture with US bookseller Barnes and Noble.

The deal could make Barnes and Noble's Nook e-book reader available to millions of new customers, integrating it with the Microsoft's new Windows 8 operating system.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17896534

I guess that ends the lawsuits between the two as well....
poofyhairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Bateluer
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poofyhairguy View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17896534

I guess that ends the lawsuits between the two as well....
Thats good news. I hope this means that B&N won't be spinning off its Nook business too . . . would be an epic blunder for them.
Bateluer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
dagamer34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateluer View Post
Thats good news. I hope this means that B&N won't be spinning off its Nook business too . . . would be an epic blunder for them.
Technically the Nook business is worth more than B&N itself.
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
dougp
Diamond Member

Windows 8 ANT eBook readers inc?
dougp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
MaxFusion16
Golden Member

bye bye android.

next version of nook will run windows 8
MaxFusion16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
vshah
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFusion16 View Post
bye bye android.

yeah, sucks.
XBL: the4ner85
vshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
Golgatha
Lifer

I almost want to short B&N stock. I can't imagine Google, Amazon, or the iTunes store ever losing to Microsoft's store. Too much competition out of the gate, and Microsoft doesn't have digital distribution rights to streaming content like Apple and Amazon both do. I expect this venture to fail as hard as Zune did.

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard | Core i7 3770k@4.0Ghz | 16GB DDR3 RAM | Sandisk Extreme II 2x480GB SSD in RAID 0
240GB Crucial M500 using Intel RST to cache 2x 1TB WD RE4 drives in RAID 0 | eVGA GTX Titan SLI
Golgatha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
Headcase_Fargone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgatha View Post
I almost want to short B&N stock. I can't imagine Google, Amazon, or the iTunes store ever losing to Microsoft's store. Too much competition out of the gate, and Microsoft doesn't have digital distribution rights to streaming content like Apple and Amazon both do. I expect this venture to fail as hard as Zune did.
This is most unfortunate, as I really love the Nook hardware so far. I've owned every iteration of it and they just keep getting better.
Headcase_Fargone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
destrekor
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFusion16 View Post
bye bye android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshah View Post
yeah, sucks.
I was thinking the same thing.

Which is a disappointment in some ways, but a good Windows 8 (likely WinRT, aka Win8 for ARM) eReader/eReader-focused tablet is definitely needed in the market once ready.

Personally, I might be looking to the Win8 tablet/laptop hybrid devices (like the Intel reference design), if they feel good and don't feel like I'm sacrificing too much (also depends on thickness/weight).

Considering I have no express need, I am in no rush and will definitely be interested in more options out there. I won't go the "limited" tablet route like the Nook Color / Nook Tablet / Kindle Fire route again, but that's a huge market in of itself.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
destrekor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #10
Super56K
Golden Member

Microsoft likely just locked up their budget Win8 tablet, and I bet it'll be as successful as the current Android Nook tablets if pricing is consistent. Could be a very smart move because B&N can push the Nook branding while Microsoft gets a lot of new customers into the Win8 ecosystem.
Super56K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
poofyhairguy
Diamond Member

What makes me sad is B&N's first tablet- the Nook Color- is easily one of the most hacker friendly devices ever. They go from that to the Nook Tablet (with its locks) to a Windows Tablet.
poofyhairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
gorcorps
aka Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by poofyhairguy View Post
What makes me sad is B&N's first tablet- the Nook Color- is easily one of the most hacker friendly devices ever. They go from that to the Nook Tablet (with its locks) to a Windows Tablet.
Sucks from a consumer standpoint, but from a business standpoint they don't care about that. By now we all know that they didn't make money selling the hardware, they made money selling books and apps. Changing OSes sucks for us rooters, but that capability doesn't matter if it didn't bring them any extra money.
gorcorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
destrekor
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorcorps View Post
Sucks from a consumer standpoint, but from a business standpoint they don't care about that. By now we all know that they didn't make money selling the hardware, they made money selling books and apps. Changing OSes sucks for us rooters, but that capability doesn't matter if it didn't bring them any extra money.
Well, after the Nook Color, it really lost the appeal of a rooter's entry-level tablet. There are better tablets for around the same price.

And if this rumored Nexus Tablet from Asus ever drops, it's probably game over in that arena (until better hardware finds its way to that price level).

I stopped feeling tied to the Nook Color once magazines were brought to the Nook for Android app - which wasn't long after release iirc.
I just haven't had a desire to upgrade, since I rarely use it. I WOULD use it more if it had better hardware, but I'm being exceptionally picky about what I want in my next tablet and don't mind waiting since I have no express need and wouldn't get to use it much out of the house - and honestly, I'd rather sit back at my PC instead of messing with a tablet.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
destrekor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #14
Skel
Diamond Member

From what I’ve seen / read on these forums, the kindle is destroying the Nook in sales. With that in mind, and B&N not doing well all around it’s not surprising that they’re looking at creating something different than their competitors. Getting a huge cash infusion from MS is in a way a lifesaver as I don’t think B&N could have survived long term the way they were going. From what I’m also reading it’s no longer the sought after root kit as there are now cheaper models that can do more. Unless I’m misunderstanding, which is very possible as I don’t follow all the shades of Android let alone tablets.

Of course having said that, I’ve also not seen where they’ve announced they’re dropping the Android platform. I wouldn’t put it outside the idea of them creating two tablets, one being a higher end Win8 tablet/ereader and another going more the Kindle route and removing all things Google from Android.

Xbox tag: Skel Re
Skel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #15
Skott
Diamond Member

Not surprised. MS buys what it cannot make. They been doing this a long time.
-Tt Overseer RI BLK case, 4790k, Hyper 212 Evo hsf, Asus Z97 WS mobo, 16GB RAM, Two Sapphire 290x Tri-X CF GPUs, 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2TB WD Black HDD, EVGA Supernova G2 1300w PSU, LG 34UM95 3440x1440 Monitor
-Lian-Li V354, 4-Noctua NF-P12 120mm fans, ASUS P8P67-M Pro, 8GB GSkill RAM, Intel i5 2500K, Corsair H50, WD Black 1TB HDD, Optiarch Slim ODD, ATI 6950, Corsair HX850w, W7 Pro 64, Logitech G5, Saitek Eclipse II, I-INC 28" 1900x1200 LCD
Skott is offline   Reply With Quote