· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 04-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #76
FerrelGeek
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack200 View Post
Yup, that was before we realized that Mr. Scalia was about to disgrace himself by going on a political crusade against the administration.

I usually don't agree with Roberts, but at least I can respect him. Scalia is cat piss.

Edit: Also, can we suspend all SCOTUS hearings until the administration actually hires a solicitor general that make a goddamn argument?
Not our fault that your hero is completely incapable of hiring competent people to run his administration. Yet another example of Obama failure - hiring based on ideology vs ability.

But again, maybe it's also because the justices know that the feds don't have a good case - with this or the healthcare law.
FerrelGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #77
DAGTA
Diamond Member

Of those against this law, is there anyone that lives in Phoenix or Tucson? I am curious to hear the viewpoints of people that live here and still oppose the law.

For those that don't live in those cities, you really have no idea how bad the illegal problem is in Phoenix and Tucson. Move here for a year and see if you still hold opposition to this law.
DAGTA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #78
Ausm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehalem256 View Post
Well to draw a connection between air travel and illegal immigration.

If Arizona was suffering from a large number of airplane crashes and the federal government refused to do anything about (or even enforce current laws on aircraft safety) then I think reasonable people would agree Arizona had a right to protect its citizens from the dangers of airplanes falling from the sky.
What if the illegal aliens where flying over but their planes crashed then the GOP would kill two birds with one stone.

You know your're getting old when MILF'S look young
Ausm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #79
zsdersw
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrelGeek View Post
Not our fault that your hero is completely incapable of hiring competent people to run his administration. Yet another example of Obama failure - hiring based on ideology vs ability.

But again, maybe it's also because the justices know that the feds don't have a good case - with this or the healthcare law.
Obama is neither the hero his cheerleaders, nor the villain his harshest critics, claim him to be.

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand -Milton Friedman

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -Robert J. Hanlon
zsdersw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #80
OutHouse
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportage View Post
Sooooo kiddies, how will you react when the cops pull you over, you that average American citizen, and insist on strip searching you, mommie, as well as your 3 year old for possible hidden drugs?
lol really? i dont think you could not have picked a more lame thing to post.

"Going to McDonalds for a salad is like asking a prostitute for a hug." Sean Fallon

my post are being monitored by a STALKER!
OutHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #81
IronWing
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGTA View Post
Of those against this law, is there anyone that lives in Phoenix or Tucson? I am curious to hear the viewpoints of people that live here and still oppose the law.

For those that don't live in those cities, you really have no idea how bad the illegal problem is in Phoenix and Tucson. Move here for a year and see if you still hold opposition to this law.
I live in Tucson and hike in the mountains south of Tucson right down to the border on a regular basis. I fear the run-amok Border Patrol, Joe Arpio's posses, Jan Brewer's citizen militias, and whackjob border vigilantes far more than I fear illegal immigrants. The law is so loved it cost Russell Pearce his job. Illegal immigrants come and go with the booms and busts. Forcing the businesses that hire illegals to pay the costs of their hiring practices is a more sound approach than the race baiting BS enshrined in this law.

Folks in Phoenix or anywhere else removed from the border really have no idea how heavy and intrusive the Border Patrol presence is. They just keep screaming more, more, more with no thought to the impacts of border militarization on the American citizens who live here. You can't piss in the woods w/o getting caught on camera.
IronWing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #82
Sunburn74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSimmons View Post
This objection boils down to: "bad cops might nab illegal aliens that they should have ignored."

I don't buy that as a valid reason not to have the AZ law. Bad cops could just shoot the illegal alien then get the crack-sprinkling vial from their ankle holster, just like they would for an American citizen. "He was comin' right at me!"
The objection is legals and illegals alike will be molested on the basis of race. Sure once a legal citizen who is wrongly suspected as being illegal gets down to the police station, it may all be sorted out. Or you may spend 12 hours in a cell whilst they sort things out. Or a weekend. I'd lean more towards the latter because guess what cops are assholes trying to make quotas for tickets, arrests, and etc. Lets not give them any more firepower with which to molest the law abiding public.

http://news-now.org/2011/11/student-jailed-2-nights-id/

Last edited by Sunburn74; 04-26-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Sunburn74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #83
EagleKeeper
Discussion Club Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunburn74 View Post
The objection is legals and illegals alike will be molested on the basis of race. Sure once a legal citizen who is wrongly suspected as being illegal gets down to the police station, it may all be sorted out. Or you may spend 12 hours in a cell whilst they sort things out. Or a weekend. I'd lean more towards the latter because guess what cops are assholes trying to make quotas for tickets, arrests, and etc. Lets not give them any more firepower with which to molest the law abiding public.

http://news-now.org/2011/11/student-jailed-2-nights-id/
Break a law and can not prove who you are.

Spend the night in the pokey.

Do not break the law - no one is asking for ID

What is the issue here?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #84
shortylickens
No Lifer

At this point the real problem is the anchor babies, not grown ups coming across the border.

Say what your observation is or move on... I keep saying it and I'll say it again. These posts add absolutely no value besides a +1 to your post count.
shortylickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #85
cwjerome
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWing View Post
I live in Tucson and hike in the mountains south of Tucson right down to the border on a regular basis. I fear the run-amok Border Patrol, Joe Arpio's posses, Jan Brewer's citizen militias, and whackjob border vigilantes far more than I fear illegal immigrants. The law is so loved it cost Russell Pearce his job. Illegal immigrants come and go with the booms and busts. Forcing the businesses that hire illegals to pay the costs of their hiring practices is a more sound approach than the race baiting BS enshrined in this law.

Folks in Phoenix or anywhere else removed from the border really have no idea how heavy and intrusive the Border Patrol presence is. They just keep screaming more, more, more with no thought to the impacts of border militarization on the American citizens who live here. You can't piss in the woods w/o getting caught on camera.

This is not about your fear. You can fear Arpio's posse (that doesn't operate anywhere near the border), Brewer's militia (the one that doesn't exist), border vigilantes (all 6 of them), the Border Patrol or the illegal aliens. Personally, I don't see why you fear any of them.

You sound like the person who criticizes the police for a heavy presence in a neighborhood afflicted with runaway crime. I live in Phoenix and spend a lot of time south of Tucson. You are right, the BP are everywhere south of I-10 and I-8, but it's a symptom not a cause. I don't much like it but it's the result of failed immigration and border policies. I was there before the spike in BP activity and trust me, all lines of illegals crossing and the abandoned vehicles and trash littered everywhere pretty much told me what was coming. You can thank the illegal crossers and policies that promote illegal immigration for that militarization.
cwjerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #86
FerrelGeek
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsdersw View Post
Obama is neither the hero his cheerleaders, nor the villain his harshest critics, claim him to be.
Not saying he's a villain, but some on here still worship him.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #87
FerrelGeek
Golden Member

Evil racist pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleKeeper View Post
Link

Federal Law:

Responsibilities
  • Obey all federal, state, and local laws.
  • Pay federal, state, and local income taxes.
  • Register with the Selective Service (U.S. Armed Forces), if you are a male between ages 18 and 26. See Register With the Selective Service for instructions.
  • Maintain your immigration status.
  • Carry proof of your permanent resident status at all times.
  • Give your new address in writing to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) within 10 days of each time you move. See Give Your New Address to DHS for instructions.

If you are not a Green Card holder - you are required to have your passport & visa available at all times.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #88
CPA
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimospy View Post
They are referring to a single section of the 4 major ones under dispute, and their argument centers around how the Arizona law might not conflict with federal law, not that Arizona has the right to enforce separate immigration provisions on its own. I have seen nothing here that in any way questions total federal dominance over immigration issues.
So, you say you are now agreeing with us that said that the Arizona law did nothing but mirror the federal law and allow Arizona to enforce the passed law?
Old 04-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #89
shortylickens
No Lifer

As for the racism issue: I think we can all agree there shouldnt be racism but the fact is most illegals are hispanic, and sooner or later (usually sooner) some asshole will use illegal immigration as an excuse to beat up or kill people that arent necessarily doing anything wrong. And some folks are worried that any laws passed against illegal immigrants will also end up hurting hispanics in general. My concern is in the rush to cry racism, REAL laws currently in place or on their way to get voted in will be ignored or vilified and nothing beneficial will get done.

Say what your observation is or move on... I keep saying it and I'll say it again. These posts add absolutely no value besides a +1 to your post count.
shortylickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #90
ElFenix
Super Moderator
Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texashiker View Post
When asked, you are required to present ID to law enforcement.
no

Quote:
Even the Arizona law leaves employers alone. Can't be hurting their buddies.
SB1070 doesn't make employing illegal aliens illegal because that was already illegal in arizona. SB1070 does specify the length of time the employer must hold on to the e-verification (which was already required). also makes blocking traffic to pick up day laborers illegal.

AnandTech Mean Moderator

Last edited by ElFenix; 04-26-2012 at 05:20 PM.
ElFenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #91
Darwin333
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweaker2 View Post
Well, by having Jan scream on about policing illegals, her hissy fits are, by design, drawing attention toward the Obama Admin as the culprit and away from her big business buddies, while these businesses just keep on making more and higher profit while knowingly breaking the law. By right, Jan should apply just as much enforcement on her business buddies as she is putting on the illegals, but oh no, she'd rather play this two-faced game just to lay the blame of "her" problem with illegals at Obama's feet.

All the while, Jan's business buddies are keeping completely silent and under the radar of public scrutiny as to their major and integral role in exacerbating the illegal immigration problem.

And good 'ol Jan is doing her best to keep that aspect of the problem as far from the public's minds as possible.
While I personally don't have an issue with the Arizona law (yet if it is in fact unconstitutional I think the Constitution does and should trump all) you have hit the nail on the head.

Instead of going directly at the illegals it would be much more effective to go after the ones that employ them. They have systems in place to verify if someone is able to legally work in the US. I don't care if we have to subsidize it to make it free to anyone looking to hire someone but if you make the penalties for hiring an illegal high enough so that it is no longer profitable AND you deny illegals any and all forms of .gov assistance they will deport themselves. Problem solved. I would rather be dead broke at home with my family than dead broke somewhere else.

The bottom line is that they come here because it is profitable to do so. Remove the profit motive and they will stop coming, it really is that simple.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon
Darwin333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #92
Darwin333
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElFenix View Post
no
Really? I haven't actually looked up the law but I was told by a cop that in the state of Louisiana it is illegal to be over 18 and in public without valid ID of some sort. Maybe he was bullshitting me, I don't leave the house without my wallet so its not something that would effect me but if a cop stops me and asks for my ID can I really tell him no without any sort of repercussions?

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon
Darwin333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #93
EagleKeeper
Discussion Club Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin333 View Post
Really? I haven't actually looked up the law but I was told by a cop that in the state of Louisiana it is illegal to be over 18 and in public without valid ID of some sort. Maybe he was bullshitting me, I don't leave the house without my wallet so its not something that would effect me but if a cop stops me and asks for my ID can I really tell him no without any sort of repercussions?
you can tell him NO.

Depending on the LEO; you may have broken some obtuse law. Now to be released on person recognition, you need to provide identification so they can contact you at a later date.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #94
Pneumothorax

Quote:
You realize, of course, that border enforcement is being more vigorously pursued under the current administration that at any previous time in our nation's history? At no time in the past have as many border agents been deployed, been more heavily armed, had more resources available, or had more authorities at their disposal than they do today.
So what, the one's that are nabbed already living here, aren't deported unless they're a felon. They're just released from ICE with a Democrat business card stating "Vote for Obama/Biden 2012, and Vote Often!"
Old 04-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #95
Svnla
Lifer

Gotta love how the ILLEGALS and their lovers/supporters trying their hardest to paint AZ law and similar as "Anti-Immigration" and spread all the BS sobs stories.

Nice try. ANTI ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION is more accurate.

Last edited by Svnla; 04-26-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Svnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #96
nehalem256
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svnla View Post
Gotta love how the ILLEGALS and their lovers/supporters trying their hardest to paint AZ law and similar as "Anti-Immigration" and spread all the BS sobs stories.

Nice try. ANTI ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION is more accurate.
Liberals dont see any difference between legal immigration and illegal immigration.

nehalem256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #97
BoomerD
Lifer

Quote:
Liberals dont see any difference between legal immigration and illegal immigration.

Bullshit.
BoomerD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #98
nehalem256
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerD View Post
Bullshit.
Do a search on google for "republicans anti immigrant"

An example article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/guy-ga...b_1453650.html

From the article:
"Meanwhile, arrests of immigrants trying to cross into the U.S. from Mexico have dropped significantly in recent years; and crime rates in most Southern border states has actually declined. "

Now why would an immigrant be arrested crossing the US border? Hmm I wonder why?
nehalem256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #99
Svnla
Lifer

Quote:

Are you trolling? Really. Serious question.

As if you do not know the BIG difference between LEGAL and ILLEGAL.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #100
BoomerD
Lifer

Quote:
Do a search on google for "republicans anti immigrant"

An example article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/guy-ga...b_1453650.html

From the article:
"Meanwhile, arrests of immigrants trying to cross into the U.S. from Mexico have dropped significantly in recent years; and crime rates in most Southern border states has actually declined. "

Now why would an immigrant be arrested crossing the US border? Hmm I wonder why?
Quote:
Guy Garcia
You link to an article written by a Hispanic...many Hispanics seem to think that all "anti-illegal immigration policies" are racist.

I'm a Democrat and therefore, I'm painted with the "liberal brush" whether it's accurate or not...and I'm VERY anti-illegal immigration. I'd like to see ALL the illegals rounded up and shipped back to whatever country they're from...be it Mexico, Guatemala, China, Ireland...where ever. If they've been here for years and have established a "life" here, then allow them to apply for legal entry...but they don't get to "skip places in the line" of others who are applying to enter. If they've been previously deported, make them wait 5 or 10 years before they're allowed to apply for re-entry.
BoomerD is online now   Reply With Quote