Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 04-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
sheh

Default "Onboard" memory in notebooks irremovable?

I'm looking for a notebook and noticed the concept of "onboard" memory (was looking at some ASUS X54C). Is this completely irremovable? How common is this in notebooks?

Besides being a problem if the memory fails it also limits upgradability (can't replace module with a larger one when free slots run out).

Are there any other soldered components I should beware of? Are socketed CPU common in notebooks? What about other components?
sheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
wirednuts
Diamond Member

i dont see anywhere it claims any sort of memory is soldered into the board.... and i hope not because memory and storage goes bad and needs to be replaced periodically
wirednuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
jjsbasmt

I've only seen maybe two notebooks with soldered on memory and that was about 10 years ago. If I can remember correctly it was perhaps a Compaq and/or Toshiba and still had a slot for removeable chips.
Q9550/Asus P5Q Turbo/ 8GB OCZ Gold PC8500/PC P&C Silencer 500/EVGA GF GT 740 SC 2 GB GDDR5/Crucial M500 240/Caviar Black 1 TB/SONY SATA Lightscribe/12 in-one Media Card Reader/4- USB 3.0, 6 USB 2.0/Bluetooth/Dell 22" HDMI, Win 8.1 Pro 64, in CoolerMaster Centurion, Protected by APC XS 1000/Samsung SCX-3405W
jjsbasmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
rabbitz

A lot of newer ultrabooks with 'non-user serviceable components' means things that you can't really upgrade/replace.... which can really be anything especially with those super thin laptops that don't even let you open them up
rabbitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
RU482
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheh View Post
i'm looking for a notebook and noticed the concept of "onboard" memory (was looking at some asus x54c). Is this completely irremovable? How common is this in notebooks?

Besides being a problem if the memory fails it also limits upgradability (can't replace module with a larger one when free slots run out).

Are there any other soldered components i should beware of? Are socketed cpu common in notebooks? What about other components?
vote with your wallet - don't buy it
RU482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
T_Yamamoto
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitz View Post
A lot of newer ultrabooks with 'non-user serviceable components' means things that you can't really upgrade/replace.... which can really be anything especially with those super thin laptops that don't even let you open them up
+1

Mid 2014 13" Macbook Pro, Intel Core i5-4278U 2.6Ghz, Intel Iris 5100 GPU, 8GB ram, 128gb SSD
Heatware | Steam
T_Yamamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
nitrous9200

CPUs in notebooks are usually replaceable, except in MacBooks and perhaps some super-slim machines (ultrabooks). Most laptops don't have integrated RAM anymore although as mentioned, some ultrabooks probably do to save space.

The biggest issue with laptops is probably a "discrete" graphics chip that's soldered onto the motherboard (as opposed to low end Intel integrated graphics). Those can go bad, and a few years ago there were many issues with certain NVIDIA models that affected laptops from almost every manufacturer. Very few laptops have removable graphics cards (MXM standard).
nitrous9200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
sheh

I didn't mean super-thin ones, but a standard 15" notebook (this X54C, or something very similar to it).

The memory is said to be: "DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM, 2 GB, OnBoard Memory, 1 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 6 GB SDRAM", which sounds like up to 2 modules but only 1 slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU482 View Post
vote with your wallet - don't buy it
If it really isn't the standard I might very well look for something else. But taking everything into consideration there may not be that many options, once I filtered them down based on warranty period, screen quality, keyboard, price, and battery (though I suppose at least that may be upgraded).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous9200 View Post
CPUs in notebooks are usually replaceable
Not what I expected, but that's good to hear. Is it upgradable realistically, given the severe heat output limitations?

Quote:
The biggest issue with laptops is probably a "discrete" graphics chip that's soldered
Integrated gfx is what I expected. It was the standard in integrated desktop mobos as well, for basic graphics. But I'm going for CPU-based graphics, so even that is socketed.

Last edited by sheh; 04-23-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
rsutoratosu
Platinum Member

still common, some still have memory soldered on. usually its the ultra thin ones
rsutoratosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
rabbitz

"On board" sounds like soldered on memory, especially when they add that there is a single "expansion" slot.

So in that case, it looks like it comes with 1x2gb 1333mhz ram soldered in, with one empty and open slot that 'officially' supports up to a 4gb stick.

As for graphics cards, it doesn't have anything to do with integrated or discrete. Integrated just means that the graphics processor is either built into the motherboard or the cpu... so obviously you cannot replace these. However, in the newer intel/amd processors the 'integrated' graphics can work alongside 'discrete' graphics.

For discrete graphics, I would suggest you read about MxM. User switchable graphics processors are rare.. and mostly featured in big gaming laptops.
rabbitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #11
sheh

Thanks everyone. Let's see what the companies themselves say...
Old 04-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #12
chubbyfatazn
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitz View Post
"On board" sounds like soldered on memory, especially when they add that there is a single "expansion" slot.

So in that case, it looks like it comes with 1x2gb 1333mhz ram soldered in, with one empty and open slot that 'officially' supports up to a 4gb stick.
This.

CPUs are usually replaceable on 14"+ notebooks (not sure about 12-13"). My 12" lappy has its CPU soldered on.
Dell U3011 + 2007FP | Heat | eBay
chubbyfatazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #13
Manojkumar.P.S

Talking

Finally are got answer to your question?please help me to upgrade my X54C with 4 GB ddr3 RAM.Is any external slot to insert the chip?
Manojkumar.P.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #14
Manojkumar.P.S

Please help in the posted situation.
Manojkumar.P.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #15
Harvey
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manojkumar.P.S View Post
Finally are got answer to your question?please help me to upgrade my X54C with 4 GB ddr3 RAM.Is any external slot to insert the chip?
When all else fails, RTFM (Read The Freaking Manual). In this case, see the tech specs for your machine on Asus' site.

Under "Memory," it just says "DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM *1"

"*1" indicate footnotes. At the bottom of the page, under "Note," it says:
Quote:
DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM, 2 GB, OnBoard Memory, 1 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 6 GB SDRAM
DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM, 4 GB, OnBoard Memory, 1 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 8 GB SDRAM
That means one SO-DIMM is hard soldered to the board, and there is one open SO-DIMM socket which, in your machine, currently holds a 2 GB stick. You can expand your RAM to 6 GB by replacing the socketed 2 GB stick with a 4 GB stick.

There are traitors and terrorists among us. They call themselves "Republicans." They are a greater threat to the U.S. than Al Qaeda and all the Al Qaeda wannabes. They have infested our democratic institutions with the sole objective of thwarting the will of the majority of our citizens.

And Whos's Watching Over Who's Watching Over You?
Tell me, who's telling who's telling you what to do what to do?
Harvey is online now   Reply With Quote