· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 04-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
Dulanic
Diamond Member

Default Next Galaxy Phone Unveiling - May 3rd

A little sooner than I was expecting, but good to see we will know soon enough what it will be.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/16/s...3rd-in-london/

Quote:
After months of rumors Samsung has officially announced the world will meet the next Galaxy phone in London on May 3rd with this invite, first received by Dutch site Tweakers.net. While most speculation will immediately focus around something we're expecting to arrive as the Galaxy S III, the BlackBerry World-spoiling invite we received is conspicuously devoid of details like name or specifications.
Dulanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
ThatsABigOne
Diamond Member

Should be a pretty interesting and impressive device. Can't wait!
ThatsABigOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
Dulanic
Diamond Member

I am happy it got moved up for sure. I am pending to drop Sprint for straight talk. So this will help determine if I pick up a gnex or I wait for the international SGSIII. Hope they announce retail pricing
Dulanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Headcase_Fargone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulanic View Post
I am happy it got moved up for sure. I am pending to drop Sprint for straight talk. So this will help determine if I pick up a gnex or I wait for the international SGSIII. Hope they announce retail pricing
I actually just did the same thing but with the $30 T-Mobile plan. The way I figure it, the S3 is at least a few months from release, especially in the US. I'll be saving $70 a month getting away from Sprint (and for better service to boot).

Between selling my Sprint phone (an Evo 4G that I sold for $100) and what I can sell the Galaxy Nexus for when the time comes, I'll actually come out ahead and get a better service/phone in the meantime.
Headcase_Fargone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Red Storm
Lifer

As a Verizon user the real excitement for us is finding out whether Big Red is going to offer the phone or not. Most times? Nope.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
dguy6789
Diamond Member

Verizon offered the Galaxy S and didn't offer the S2 because they had the Galaxy Nexus instead. Why wouldn't they offer the 3?
dguy6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dguy6789 View Post
Verizon offered the Galaxy S and didn't offer the S2 because they had the Galaxy Nexus instead. Why wouldn't they offer the 3?
Because they're Verizon and they like to make strange decisions every now and then.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Oyeve
Lifer

Quote:
because Verizon is the douche.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
ilkhan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulanic View Post
At this point I wouldn't pickup a GNex anyway.
One X, One S, or this, get a 2012 generation phone.

Quote:
They still have the GNex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcase_Fargone View Post
I actually just did the same thing but with the $30 T-Mobile plan. The way I figure it, the S3 is at least a few months from release, especially in the US. I'll be saving $70 a month getting away from Sprint (and for better service to boot).

Between selling my Sprint phone (an Evo 4G that I sold for $100) and what I can sell the Galaxy Nexus for when the time comes, I'll actually come out ahead and get a better service/phone in the meantime.
I switched from sprint evo4g to a t-mo sgsII for the exact same reason in November.

Last edited by ilkhan; 04-16-2012 at 01:59 PM.
ilkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
Bateluer
Lifer

Guess we'll find out if there was any truth to the simultaneous global launch rumor. Having different 'spins' on every US carrier needs to stop.
Bateluer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateluer View Post
Guess we'll find out if there was any truth to the simultaneous global launch rumor. Having different 'spins' on every US carrier needs to stop.
Unfortunately I don't see it stopping (not with Verizon anyway).
Old 04-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
sciwizam
Golden Member

Meizu says it'll have the Exynos 4412 Quad-core in the MX. Wondering if this means the SGS3 will have the Exynos 5250 Dual-core, would Samsung sell the same part it has in it's flagship phone to another phone vendor?

sciwizam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
Puddle Jumper
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciwizam View Post
Meizu says it'll have the Exynos 4412 Quad-core in the MX. Wondering if this means the SGS3 will have the Exynos 5250 Dual-core, would Samsung sell the same part it has in it's flagship phone to another phone vendor?
The previous Meizu superphone had a Exynos 4210 like the Galaxy S2 so apparently they will sell them.

Puddle Jumper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #14
lothar
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciwizam View Post
Exynos 4412 Quad core A9 is the SGS III.
Exynos 5250 Dual core A15 will be SGS IV.

Would be interesting to see the performance difference between Krait and SGS III.
lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #15
ponyo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lothar View Post
Exynos 4412 Quad core A9 is the SGS III.
Exynos 5250 Dual core A15 will be SGS IV.

Would be interesting to see the performance difference between Krait and SGS III.
I'm going to dream big and say SGS III will be Exynos 5250 dual core A15. I know it's not supposed to go into mass production til Q2 but I say Samsung surprises the world and rushes it out for SGS III. 720p SAMOLED+ is a given but I wonder if Samsung will surprise with 1080p SAMOLED pentile.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #16
lothar
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
I'm going to dream big and say SGS III will be Exynos 5250 dual core A15. I know it's not supposed to go into mass production til Q2 but I say Samsung surprises the world and rushes it out for SGS III. 720p SAMOLED+ is a given but I wonder if Samsung will surprise with 1080p SAMOLED pentile.
I hope so too, but I'm playing down my expectations.
I'm of the opinion that Samsung won't have A15 this year and neither will Apple.

If it happens, great, more competition.
If it doesn't happen, I won't throw a tantrum because it something I expected not to happen anyway.

Unless Samsung plans to delay the SGS III launch from May/June to October or later...
But that wouldn't make any sense because they'd be competing with the next iPhone. Anyone from Samsung's marketing department that suggests doing that is a moran. That is marketing suicide. Only thing that would save them is if Apple postpones theirs as well.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #17
monkey333

Size?
monkey333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #18
lothar
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lothar View Post
I hope so too, but I'm playing down my expectations.
I'm of the opinion that Samsung won't have A15 this year and neither will Apple.

If it happens, great, more competition.
If it doesn't happen, I won't throw a tantrum because it something I expected not to happen anyway.

Unless Samsung plans to delay the SGS III launch from May/June to October or later...
But that wouldn't make any sense because they'd be competing with the next iPhone. Anyone from Samsung's marketing department that suggests doing that is a moran. That is marketing suicide. Only thing that would save them is if Apple postpones theirs as well.
Actually scratch what I just said...
A15 Dual core with rehashed PowerVR 544 or 545 GPU may be released in the next iPhone.
PowerVR 6 GPU, which a lot of people have been claiming here most likely won't be released in the next iPhone.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #19
ponyo
Lifer

I'm not buying SGS3. Only phone I will buy going forward is the Nexus or the iPhone. I would just like to see Samsung lay the smack down on others. I just figured Samsung wanted their phone featured during the London Summer Olympics.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #20
monkey333

I'm on an evo 3d on sprint, tempted by the htc evo lte (xl, I believe), not sure about htc anymore, feel like I'm getting jerked around on ics release... I think if it or ics hat could be a game changer. I'm due or an upgrade in June...
monkey333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #21
ponyo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey333 View Post
Size?
4.6 says OLED Association
Old 04-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #22
lothar
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm not buying SGS3. Only phone I will buy going forward is the Nexus or the iPhone. I would just like to see Samsung lay the smack down on others. I just figured Samsung wanted their phone featured during the London Summer Olympics.
It will be featured during the London summer Olympics for sure. Quad core Exynos 4412 that is.

I agree with you on the Nexus. That will be my only phone of choice on Android from now on if Samsung continues to make it. The only possible deal breaker will be if they limit it to 16GB again. 32GB is more than enough storage for me, I don't care whether it has an SD slot or not.

-Lothar
Old 04-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #23
386DX

Quote:
I'll wait till they add a yellow pixel and come out with the 1080P SAMOLED+ Quattron Aquos screen!
386DX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #24
poofyhairguy
Diamond Member

If it is A15 then I am very interested. If not, then my SGS2 still suits me fine.
poofyhairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #25
vshah
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poofyhairguy View Post
If it is A15 then I am very interested. If not, then my SGS2 still suits me fine.
i really want to see a15 vs krait comparisons.
XBL: the4ner85
vshah is offline   Reply With Quote