Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > Networking

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 02:59 AM   #1
faye
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,101
Default Company is limiting the access, how to break it?

Hi,

My company is limiting the internet access to only outlook can download emails. And i just cannot access internet (browsing).
Of course, all cellphones are blocked from the wireless router.

So, i am thinking if i can use a router that has access point function and any devices that connect to this router will no longer require any further higher level privilege.

I know a software "Connectify" may do the job just like what i need, but weird that it says" Connectify has been blocked (by third party)" i just cannot find anything that is blocking it.

*** Best solution is to look for another Job or to open you own business.

Thread Closed.
-Jack
Super Mod.
__________________
# Intel Core2Duo E8400
# Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
# Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3
# Asus EAH4870 512MB
# Corsair XMS 4x1GB DDR2
# Western Digital Raptor 36GB 10krpm SATA
# Western Digital 640AAKS 16MB SATAII
# Antec Neo HE 500 PSU
# Cooler Master CM 690

Last edited by JackMDS; 03-13-2012 at 11:52 AM.
faye is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
yinan
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,541
Default

You will not be able to do this, network access is being blocked a the firewall level.
__________________
CALLING AN ILLEGAL ALIEN AN "UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANT" IS LIKE CALLING A DRUG DEALER AN "UNLICENSED PHARMACIST"!
yinan is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
Gryz
Senior Member
 
Gryz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 450
Default

Theoretically, if there is just one type of application (or one type of packet) that is going through the firewall, you can get anything through. However, this requires some technical knowledge, some work, and maybe even custom software, to get it done.

But your company doesn't want you to do use the Internet. Why not go along ? If I was a manager or network admin, and I saw one of my employees intentionally go against the network policy, I'd be pissed off. I'd get your ass fired. That policy is there for a reason.
Gryz is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
dphantom
Diamond Member
 
dphantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
Hi,

My company is limiting the internet access to only outlook can download emails. And i just cannot access internet (browsing).
Of course, all cellphones are blocked from the wireless router.

So, i am thinking if i can use a router that has access point function and any devices that connect to this router will no longer require any further higher level privilege.

I know a software "Connectify" may do the job just like what i need, but weird that it says" Connectify has been blocked (by third party)" i just cannot find anything that is blocking it.
No one here is going to help you break your company's network policy. Don't like it; find another place to work.
__________________
http://www.orbat.com/
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The ugliest is the man who thinks nothing is worth fighting and dying for and lets men better and braver than himself protect him." - John Stuart Mill, 1859
"To lodge all power in one party and keep it there is to insure bad government." - Mark Twain
dphantom is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
PlastikSpork
Member
 
PlastikSpork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Green Isle, MN
Posts: 94
Default

Check your PM...
PlastikSpork is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
nickbits
Diamond Member
 
nickbits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southeast Michigan
Posts: 3,780
Default

Use your phone's Internet.
nickbits is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
ichy
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,932
Default

Are you trying to get yourself fired?
__________________
“Our belief is not a belief. Our principles are not a faith. We do not rely soley upon science and reason, because these are necessary rather than sufficient factors, but we distrust anything that contradicts science or outrages reason. We may differ on many things, but what we respect is free inquiry, openmindedness, and the pursuit of ideas for their own sake.”
-Christopher Hitchens
ichy is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
PlastikSpork
Member
 
PlastikSpork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Green Isle, MN
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichy View Post
Are you trying to get yourself fired?
Why are you so worried about his/her job? Educate him/her on how to bypass the works firewall, but then also explain why it's not a good idea and explain how he/she is going to get caught. Leave it up to the person to decide if that is really worth doing or not... Just my 2 cents.
PlastikSpork is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
seepy83
Platinum Member
 
seepy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,070
Default

This should help you:
1 - Click the Start button and select Shutdown
2 - Leave your desk and exit the building
3 - Take your preferred mode of transportation back to your place of residency
4 - Turn on your personal computer
5 - Browse the internet freely
seepy83 is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
imagoon
Diamond Member
 
imagoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlastikSpork View Post
Why are you so worried about his/her job? Educate him/her on how to bypass the works firewall, but then also explain why it's not a good idea and explain how he/she is going to get caught. Leave it up to the person to decide if that is really worth doing or not... Just my 2 cents.
General policy of this forum is to not work around office security devices. You are also often talking to the same people that build these systems and put them in place.

The correct answer is: Talk to IT, if they tell you to get lost, go cry a river, then follow Seepy83's solution.
imagoon is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
Genx87
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 36,294
Default

I will make this simple. Why not save yourself the hassle of trying to circumvent your company's security policy and them having to go through the process of firing you and find a job where you can do what you want on the internet?
__________________
"Communism can be defined as the longest route from capitalism to capitalism."
"Capitalism is the unequal distribution of wealth. Socialism is the equal distribution of poverty"
"Because you can trust freedom when it is not in your hand. When everybody is fighting for their promised land"
Genx87 is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #12
PlastikSpork
Member
 
PlastikSpork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Green Isle, MN
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagoon View Post
General policy of this forum is to not work around office security devices. You are also often talking to the same people that build these systems and put them in place.

The correct answer is: Talk to IT, if they tell you to get lost, go cry a river, then follow Seepy83's solution.
I understand the policy, but yet why is network security such a secret? Not all network administrators are educated in every possible way to circumvent network security. If these holes are explained and discussed won't that be beneficial to those administrators that are not aware of those holes? I think this would also be beneficial for people that are trying to get employed in the IT field when they can show their prospective employer their holes in their network? I think the term for this is ethical hacking.
PlastikSpork is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #13
imagoon
Diamond Member
 
imagoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlastikSpork View Post
I understand the policy, but yet why is network security such a secret? Not all network administrators are educated in every possible way to circumvent network security. If these holes are explained and discussed won't that be beneficial to those administrators that are not aware of those holes? I think this would also be beneficial for people that are trying to get employed in the IT field when they can show their prospective employer their holes in their network? I think the term for this is ethical hacking.
The people asking how to bypass IT policy are not ethical hackers, nor are they the IT guys looking for help with security. They are people that are looking for a way to get their facebook and youtube fix.

A more "ethical hacker" style question is:

"I am a the IT admin and I see that people are using putty to some how get to facebook, how can I enforce my company's policy better?"

not:

"Wah wah, my company uses websense, how can I survive without my youtube fix for 8 hours a day, how do I get around the policy?"
imagoon is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #14
seepy83
Platinum Member
 
seepy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlastikSpork View Post
I understand the policy, but yet why is network security such a secret? Not all network administrators are educated in every possible way to circumvent network security. If these holes are explained and discussed won't that be beneficial to those administrators that are not aware of those holes? I think this would also be beneficial for people that are trying to get employed in the IT field when they can show their prospective employer their holes in their network? I think the term for this is ethical hacking.
Employees trying to circumvent technical and administrative security controls are not whitehats/ethical hackers.

No good can come of this.
seepy83 is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #15
PlastikSpork
Member
 
PlastikSpork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Green Isle, MN
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seepy83 View Post
Employees trying to circumvent technical and administrative security controls are not whitehats/ethical hackers.

No good can come of this.
That's not the point I was trying to make!
PlastikSpork is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #16
seepy83
Platinum Member
 
seepy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlastikSpork View Post
That's not the point I was trying to make!
OK...What point were you trying to make?

Network Security is not a secret. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of websites that discuss information security. There are plenty of books published on the topic. There are classes you can take to learn about every aspect of it. And you can use all of that information for good, or you can use that information for evil. Using that information to try to bypass your employer's policies is very far on the evil end of the spectrum.
seepy83 is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #17
imagoon
Diamond Member
 
imagoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seepy83 View Post
Using that information to try to bypass your employer's policies is very far on the evil end of the spectrum.
It is also incredibly easy to get caught by an admin that has at least a partial clue also.

For example, the putty tunnel thing I mentioned:

1) SSL proxy to inspect your stuff. Admins can push special certs to the workstation to even have this happen transparent to the user (unless the end user did a real good job looking at the certificates in the chain.)

2) simply drop anything not in HTTP headers over port 80 using packet inspection

3) block port 80

Change the port number to any one you want to define. IE 25 / 161 / whatever. It is generally known what should be on those ports, if the data doesn't match it can be dropped or inspected etc.
imagoon is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #18
Anteaus
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,035
Default

I'm in a similar situation at work, but I wouldn't try to bypass. It may or may not work, but if they catch you it is grounds for termination.

My recommendation is that if you really feel you need access to outside email or otherwise restricted websites you should buy a laptop or ipad with 3G service. Easier yet, just get a decent smart phone.
Anteaus is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #19
seepy83
Platinum Member
 
seepy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteaus View Post
My recommendation is that if you really feel you need access to outside email or otherwise restricted websites you should buy a laptop or ipad with 3G service. Easier yet, just get a decent smart phone.
If not need access to something that they're blocking, then management should approve the access and direct IT to open it up. Bringing in a device with a 3g connection and using it as a covert channel to bypass the security policy is just as bad as trying to disguise your traffic to get it through the organization's restrictions.
seepy83 is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #20
imagoon
Diamond Member
 
imagoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seepy83 View Post
If not need access to something that they're blocking, then management should approve the access and direct IT to open it up. Bringing in a device with a 3g connection and using it as a covert channel to bypass the security policy is just as bad as trying to disguise your traffic to get it through the organization's restrictions.
I personally agree with this unless it is 100% personal. IE you are streaming youtube on your phone and only your phone. IE not attaching your phone to your work laptop etc. Once it no longer affects me (IE my employer) I don't care.
imagoon is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #21
Anteaus
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seepy83 View Post
If not need access to something that they're blocking, then management should approve the access and direct IT to open it up. Bringing in a device with a 3g connection and using it as a covert channel to bypass the security policy is just as bad as trying to disguise your traffic to get it through the organization's restrictions.
Using a personal device is not bypassing anything. If the OP wants to access personal email on a personal device, there is no wrong doing. If that's unethical then anyone that has ever checked email on a smart phone during business hours is acting inappropriately. Of course the business might have a policy of not doing things that hinder productivity, but thats an entirely different thing.

Most companies restrict internet access for various reasons, but the most likely are these:

1. Avoiding viruses by blocking things that aren't work related.

2. Protecting corporate/company interests by limiting unmonitored communications.

3. Attempting to maintain productivity by removing potential distractions.

If he OP needs something for work, I'm sure they would provide it if it was possible.
Anteaus is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.