· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

Default Another ereader thread.. I just want something simple.

I love amazon, but am trying not to let that be the deciding factor.

I don't plan on downloading and dealing with any .mobi or .epub conversions..

I just want to be able to buy magazine subs or books and read them. I've read you can connect both to your local library but I don't believe this is something I'll do often.

I've used the older kindles and really liked the next page buttons, which seem to be absent on the kindle touch. I don't need 3g.

Overall thoughts? Right now I'm leaning towards the regular kindle although I think I might miss the 'x-ray' feature of the touch. The entire touch screen thing is kind of overused and overrated, and I feel like amazon only added it to compete with nook even though it doesn't seem to add much functionality.

The nook looks too much like a toy, in my opinion. I played with one at b&n and it was very sluggish when changing pages.
SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Headcase_Fargone

I've bought three Nook Simple Touches so far. Bought one for myself the day they came out then two more as gifts. That's how highly I regard them. I've played with the new Kindles but they just don't seem anywhere near as ergonomic to me. In the short while that I fiddled with it (the Kindle), performance seemed identical to the Nook Touch.

I should note that I use Calibre for all my syncing needs, so I've never actually used either of the online stores and therefore have no basis for comparison if that's an issue for you.
Headcase_Fargone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
Pliablemoose
Banned

I have a Kindle touch, I recommend the nook as well
Pliablemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
gorcorps
aka Brandon

I like the Nook Touch. The touchscreen is a godsend IMO because these eink readers have had pretty terrible UI and controls up to this point. Touchscreen makes life a lot easier for me. It's not the most solid feeling device, but it seems up to the task of being tossed around which is what it needs to do. The buttons on the Nook are also nice if you don't like the touch screen page turns.
gorcorps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Ravynmagi
Platinum Member

I use the Kindle app on my phone and tablet, so don't use an e-ink reader. Kinda thinking about getting an e-ink Kindle though. First reason being I've already purchased all my e-books from Amazon. And I like Amazon more than B&N is because of all the self published books. Lots of really cheap and pretty good books. Probably most of what I read are from self published authors that seem to only be available from Amazon.

Windows: Dell XPS 12, Dell Venue 8 Pro, Nokia Icon, Nokia Lumia 521
Android: Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2013, LG G Pad 8.3, Nook HD+
iOS: iPad Mini with Retina, iPhone 5S
Ravynmagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
TheStu
Mobile Devices & Gadgets

If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten the Nook Simple Touch instead of the Kindle Touch. The Nook still has physical buttons which are quite useful since you can just rest your thumbs there and tap instead of having to reach over all the time to tap the screen.

That being said, the touch screen is nice for menu navigation regardless of the manufacturer.
TheStu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
paperwastage
Golden Member

there is a color eInk device just released a month ago. Jetbook Color...

initial reviews/usage from other people say that the colors are washed out(unless you are reading under direct bright sunlight), and firmware/software is crappy (they plan to update it in march/april). I ordered one, will post how it looks like (other people posted pics in the thread below)

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167587

look at the Amazon library and Barnes and Nobles library and see which one has the subscriptions you want. B&N has the benefit of using Adobe Digital Editions, so you can buy ADE DRM'd files from other places and use it on the nook. For Amazon, you can only use unencrypted mobis/pdfs
paperwastage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

Hmm.. Many people here seem to love the nook, but I'm not seeing any advantage over the kindle other than it's easier to hold and the touch version has page buttons.

Pliable what makes you like the nook over the kindle??

Searching the stores seems to show that the kindle has a much better selection, although maybe 10% more expensive which is ok with me.

It also concerns me that B&N was not doing well last year. I heard they were considering selling off the nook brand so it didn't go down with the ship. That sort of stuff is an issue considering that I'm not really paying as much for the hardware as I am the content, and if the content provider goes down the tubes (whether offline or sold to a crappy company) then my purchase is worthless.

In that regard I feel more comfortable sticking with amazon. They'll be around awhile, probably longer than b&n, their content is better, and I already have an amazon account.

Basically I'm down to this

kindle: physical buttons is a huge plus, but it doesn't have x-ray.
kindle touch: has x-ray

nook: has touch and physical buttons, but am concerned about content.

At this point I'll probably end up with the plain kindle. If the touch had page change buttons this would be a no-brainer for me. Anyone know if there's a case that will add page flip buttons?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

Is it possible to change the kindle touch pseudo buttons where they don't take up the entire screen? I would be ok with page fwd/back being small squares in the corner, but I really don't want to have to be careful to not touch the screen at all while reading..+
Old 02-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #10
Pliablemoose
Banned

What I dislike the most about the Kindle is how it feels when I'm holding it, the nook feels much better, and you're holding it all the time...
Pliablemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliablemoose View Post
What I dislike the most about the Kindle is how it feels when I'm holding it, the nook feels much better, and you're holding it all the time...

I will definitely have a case which covers the back of either device.. If it were something I planned on leaving at home all the time then this would be a big concern.. It seems odd that just the texture and shape of the back is enough for you to get a nook instead
Old 02-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
Red Storm
Lifer

I thought I would like the Kindle Touch, but there was something about it that just didn't sit well with me after trying it out. Those hardware page turning buttons on the Keyboard Kindle are positioned very well.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #13
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Storm View Post
I thought I would like the Kindle Touch, but there was something about it that just didn't sit well with me after trying it out. Those hardware page turning buttons on the Keyboard Kindle are positioned very well.

I really think I'm going to end up with the plain kindle.. I don't need or want the keyboard, I don't need or want touch, if the plain version had x-ray I would already have one
Old 02-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #14
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

I ended up with the basic kindle and couldn't be happier.

It ultimately came down to that I don't want or need another 'multi function' device. I just wanted an ereader.

I don't care about wikipedia, or typing into a web browser, or playing games, or any of it. I do sort of wish it had the x-ray feature, but there's always going to be "some new thing" with the latest ereader and I'm not interested in all of that. I can use my iphone to lookup character names and other junk if needed.

I really like the way the device feels, and love the page buttons.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #15
TheStu
Mobile Devices & Gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatiallyAware View Post
I ended up with the basic kindle and couldn't be happier.

It ultimately came down to that I don't want or need another 'multi function' device. I just wanted an ereader.

I don't care about wikipedia, or typing into a web browser, or playing games, or any of it. I do sort of wish it had the x-ray feature, but there's always going to be "some new thing" with the latest ereader and I'm not interested in all of that. I can use my iphone to lookup character names and other junk if needed.

I really like the way the device feels, and love the page buttons.
Are you totally sure that the Kindle 4 doesn't have Wikipedia? It has been a feature of the Kindle since v1
TheStu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #16
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStu View Post
Are you totally sure that the Kindle 4 doesn't have Wikipedia? It has been a feature of the Kindle since v1

It does have wikipedia, just not x-ray. I was commenting more that I just wanted a 'digital' book... IE I didn't get 3g or want any extra stuff. I don't want to keep with what the thing can do compared to my iphone or whatever...