· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #1
Kroze
Diamond Member

Default Is it just me? Subaru BRZ = Enthusiast's dream car

It Doesn't look like ass. It's Compact, lightweight, cheap, & RWD. A winning combination

They ingeniously put the alternator, ac compressor and oil filter right on top. Replacing them is going to be so easy . On top of that, the car actually have a standard size engine bay where you can work and not get your hand stuck. Unlike the recent Hondas.

Last edited by Kroze; 02-19-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Kroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
DaTT
Lifer

Is that the oil filter up top too? That would make a mess coming off. I'm not 100% sold on the style but it has potential to grow on me.

Official Member of the ATOT Muscle Car Club
2005 Mustang GT -- Mineral Grey -- Red Leather -- Fully Loaded -- 300RWHP/326 RWTQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray To Jesus View Post
I told her that after she have kids and her vagina is looser, then I will give it a try.
DaTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
Kroze
Diamond Member

Yep that's the oil filter. I don't think it'll be a mess at all seeing how it's not angled. All of the oil would just drain off the filter when you remove the drain plug.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
Zivic
Platinum Member

this car had so much hype, I hope it lives up to half of it. reviews from the car mags seem pretty positive thus far. Would really like to see one in person. My concern is they look/feel cheap. The recipe is definitely there though
Zivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
Kroze
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivic View Post
this car had so much hype, I hope it lives up to half of it. reviews from the car mags seem pretty positive thus far. Would really like to see one in person. My concern is they look/feel cheap. The recipe is definitely there though
I just saw one (exact color) at the Philadelphia Auto Show and it's just pure sex. The car sit extremely low as a sport car should. Interior material doesn't look cheap at all. The sport seat is phenomenal and the car come standard with a touchscreen GPS navi. I asked the Subaru rep and she said it should be ~$25k. And oh yea, if this car sit next to a 350/370z, it'll make the Nissan look like an overweight turd. That's how small the car is.

Last edited by Kroze; 02-19-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
Jumpem
Diamond Member

My dream car certainly wouldn't power only two wheels.
Jumpem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
unokitty
Platinum Member

I've never seen an auto get this much press prior to its introduction... It will seem difficult for any vehicle to live up to all of that hype...

Then again, (relatively) light weight and rear wheel drive are very positive attributes. My experience is that with enough money it is always possible to add horsepower, it is not always possible to add lightness.

The car seems to have great potential. Glad to see that it is finally coming to market. Hope that it does well.

Uno
unokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
sjwaste
Diamond Member

Why didn't they just make it a 2 seater? I can't imagine anyone actually fitting back there.
sjwaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
Railgun

The oil filter location and orientation is the best place for it. You're not going to change your oil five min after its been run and by the time you do, it will be virtually empty.

As far as an enthusiasts dream? That may be a stretch. Time will tell for a lot of things. How well will it respond to modifications? What will break first? What kind of,and how extensive will aftermarket support be?

Other than RWD, what does this have over any other 200hp car? The interior is boring (unless you'll as up options) Actual performance is yet to be seen.

While I appreciate the direction, add another 50 or so horse (and a lot more torque) to be a better enthusiast car. Else, it just falls into the same catagory as a Miata but you'll see only teens and young 20-somethings driving them. No one else.
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #10
jlee
Lifer

You say "just the same category as a Miata" in a way that makes me think you aren't aware that it was/is one of the most popular sports cars of all time.

I think my next toy car may be a Factory Five Racing 818, but that's a ways out. Similar concept- light and balanced, but MR and potential for more power.

Last edited by jlee; 02-19-2012 at 09:01 AM.
jlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #11
Jumpem
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
The oil filter location and orientation is the best place for it. You're not going to change your oil five min after its been run and by the time you do, it will be virtually empty.

As far as an enthusiasts dream? That may be a stretch. Time will tell for a lot of things. How well will it respond to modifications? What will break first? What kind of,and how extensive will aftermarket support be?

Other than RWD, what does this have over any other 200hp car? The interior is boring (unless you'll as up options) Actual performance is yet to be seen.

While I appreciate the direction, add another 50 or so horse (and a lot more torque) to be a better enthusiast car. Else, it just falls into the same catagory as a Miata but you'll see only teens and young 20-somethings driving them. No one else.
Smallness and lightness. Looks to be just a tad bigger than a would be Miata coupe.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #12
ketchup79
Diamond Member

After reading the (p)review from C/D, this car shows a lot of promise. They really seemed to like the way it handled, the comfort of the interior, and the price (if they stay on target.) It will be interesting to see how it fares in the current economy.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #13
Jumpem
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup79 View Post
After reading the (p)review from C/D, this car shows a lot of promise. They really seemed to like the way it handled, the comfort of the interior, and the price (if they stay on target.) It will be interesting to see how it fares in the current economy.
I think it will do well among the young professionals without kids, that live in a warmer climate.

Or idiots like me that bought a new Miata as a summer only car during the last year of college.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
MotF Bane
Banned

The outside doesn't look bad, probably a little better than the Miata. But on the other hand, the rear seat is just a waste of size and weight.

Most importantly, unless you can fit a V8 in the front, I have zero interest in the car.
MotF Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
Jumpem
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotF Bane View Post
The outside doesn't look bad, probably a little better than the Miata. But on the other hand, the rear seat is just a waste of size and weight.

Most importantly, unless you can fit a V8 in the front, I have zero interest in the car.
No need for a v8. They just need a turbocharged STi version.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #16
Kroze
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjwaste View Post
Why didn't they just make it a 2 seater? I can't imagine anyone actually fitting back there.
I definitely agree. But if there are times where in an emergency, you could at least carry 2 more passengers if needed with the seats there. If you don't need the seats, just fold it down. From the look of it, Subaru did it right by making the seats fold flat

Old 02-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #17
Kroze
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpem View Post
Smallness and lightness. Looks to be just a tad bigger than a would be Miata coupe.
Also: LSD, RWD, GPS navi, HID headlights, are all standard equipments, not options.

For ~$25k, this car is one hell of a deal for an enthusiast.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
Kroze
Diamond Member

double post

Last edited by Kroze; 02-19-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #19
ballmode
Lifer

still waiting to see the final price on one that i would buy
#1 ATOT COLTS FAN

My 2004 WRX

Flickr's Most interesting Photos In The Past Week/Pic

This thread is udderly ridiculous
AnandTech Mooooderator
ballmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #20
ballmode
Lifer

that engine doesnt look much different than the new 2.5L direct injected boxer in the forester
#1 ATOT COLTS FAN

My 2004 WRX

Flickr's Most interesting Photos In The Past Week/Pic

This thread is udderly ridiculous
AnandTech Mooooderator
ballmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #21
TechBoyJK
Lifer

want
You're being difficult. You have not provided us with the information we need to troubleshoot the problem. You have not given us errors, you're vague about where the problem is, you are not answering the questions we ask. In short, you DON'T KNOW HOW TO THINK. Give back that piece of paper you think makes your intelligent, apologize, destroy your computer and go live in the woods kid.
TechBoyJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #22
soccerballtux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post

+1 this has far too much hype
soccerballtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #23
KeithP
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroze View Post
Is it just me? Subaru BRZ = Enthusiast's dream car
I guess that depends on the enthusiast.

It is great to see a car like this come to market and I will be interested to see what the final pricing and equipment levels look like. However, I am not convinced that the light weight will be enough to make up for the lack of torque, especially when it comes to day to day driving.

There is a big difference in the driving experience between a vehicle with modest/low amounts of torque to one with an abundance of torque. This doesn't make one situation right or wrong, just my preference.

-KeithP
Old 02-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #24
DougoMan

Too bad it is so damned ugly.
DougoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #25
SparkyJJO
Lifer

I find the plastic "safety covers" over the alternator and PS pump pulleys mildly amusing.

CO2 is evil. Stop breathing

"I have never understood why it is greed to want to keep the money that you've earned, but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." - Thomas Sowell
SparkyJJO is offline   Reply With Quote