Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Merchandise and Shopping > Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
corwin
Diamond Member
 
corwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Where I am
Posts: 8,243
Default Complete Polymer AR-15 lower receiver-$99.99 + Shipping & FFL xfer fees

Yes there are a lot of purists who will scoff at a polymer lower receiver, but for the price (and around 1/2 lb weight savings) I'm willing to give it a try and already have placed an order for one for my wife's rifle since she always wants it to be lighter The videos they have of their stress/abuse testing look pretty legit, they offer a lifetime warranty, and it's 100% made in the USA...

Here's a link to the videos and other information on them...

http://www.lw15.com/

This is a *complete* (all lower parts including fire control group) lower receiver with a stock for $99.99, there's no other lower you can touch for anywhere close to that. So here's the link and you can decide for yourself...

http://newfrontierarmory.com/catalog...778658e4de7c8f

I recently built my first rifle and it was a blast, using this lower you could build a complete rifle for around $550, that's insanely cheap
__________________
HEAT

Last edited by corwin; 02-20-2012 at 08:10 AM.
corwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
gorcorps
aka Brandon
 
gorcorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South Bend
Posts: 25,805
Default

That's actually quite tempting. I've been wanting to piece together my own AR and this would be a start. I'd have to find an FFL in my area though which I haven't found yet. My local shop doesn't do transfers anymore.
__________________
-So sayeth Brandon, knower of things
PSN: gorcorps|||Steam: gorcorps
HEATWARE
gorcorps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
nairi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 295
Default

this is an amazing deal!!!
__________________
HEAT
26-0-0
nairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
rsolomon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwin View Post
The videos they have of their stress/abuse testing look pretty legit, they offer a lifetime warranty, and it's 100% made in the USA...
Price does seem QUITE attractive for a complete lower when a stripped lower is a hot deal at $80-100! I'm also intrigued by the idea of a(nother) composite rifle I will toss out a couple of geek engineer hesitations on the testing:
1) They measure deflection of the lower receiver as opposed to pressure. I.e. it could have taken 10000 psi of pressure to deform the aluminum receiver that much and 100 psi to deform the composite receiver 20 thousandths more. Pressure would be more indicative of the amount of abuse needed to reach failure.

2) The rifle toss seemed harder on the upper than the lower.

3) The fire control group tester was very cool

Would have been interesting to see all those tests on aluminum receivers also to test to failure....

Richard
rsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:04 AM   #5
bankster55
Golden Member
 
bankster55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,124
Default

very impressive indeed
__________________
I actually have ~8000 AT posts, was in first group to join Sep. 99 (text only format) - just too lazy to import my info. In fact, its kinda nice to be anonymous. Remember those live meet and greet other local AT members OT threads?

bankster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:26 AM   #6
jlee
Lifer
 
jlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 44,465
Default

Interesting...very inexpensive start to a build. I can get uppers for $150 locally, too. Hmmm.
__________________
Heat Tacoma MR2 LX450
jlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:52 AM   #7
gorcorps
aka Brandon
 
gorcorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South Bend
Posts: 25,805
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post
Interesting...very inexpensive start to a build. I can get uppers for $150 locally, too. Hmmm.
I've had an upper picked out for months but it's been oos. The guys tell me it might be in by the end of this month.
__________________
-So sayeth Brandon, knower of things
PSN: gorcorps|||Steam: gorcorps
HEATWARE
gorcorps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #8
DisgruntledVirus
Lifer
 
DisgruntledVirus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 11,790
Default

Tempting. I've wanted to build one of these for a while, even though I don't go shooting much and it wouldn't do much outside of sit around (for the time being)... This is a good price to actually end up getting one...
__________________
My FS/WTB thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texashiker View Post
So dont hate on me for jumping to conclusions without the reading the whole story.
DisgruntledVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
jlee
Lifer
 
jlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 44,465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorcorps View Post
I've had an upper picked out for months but it's been oos. The guys tell me it might be in by the end of this month.
Complete upper assembly or just receiver? I'd like to build a gas piston AR but that's not cheap..
__________________
Heat Tacoma MR2 LX450
jlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #10
corwin
Diamond Member
 
corwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Where I am
Posts: 8,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post
Interesting...very inexpensive start to a build. I can get uppers for $150 locally, too. Hmmm.
That's an amazing price right there if it's a complete upper...best online I can find is about $408 from Palmetto State Armory that's a carbine gas system and includes the BCG and charging handle...$428 for a mid length
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorcorps View Post
That's actually quite tempting. I've been wanting to piece together my own AR and this would be a start. I'd have to find an FFL in my area though which I haven't found yet. My local shop doesn't do transfers anymore.
If you haven't tried yet check out your local pawn shops, if they sell guns they have an FFL and most all of them will do transfers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsolomon View Post
Price does seem QUITE attractive for a complete lower when a stripped lower is a hot deal at $80-100! I'm also intrigued by the idea of a(nother) composite rifle I will toss out a couple of geek engineer hesitations on the testing:
1) They measure deflection of the lower receiver as opposed to pressure. I.e. it could have taken 10000 psi of pressure to deform the aluminum receiver that much and 100 psi to deform the composite receiver 20 thousandths more. Pressure would be more indicative of the amount of abuse needed to reach failure.

2) The rifle toss seemed harder on the upper than the lower.

3) The fire control group tester was very cool

Would have been interesting to see all those tests on aluminum receivers also to test to failure....
Very true on the pressure testing, but honestly what they were doing wouldn't happen in the real world anyway unless you ran it over There's inherent problems comparing polymer to aluminum in any case, polymer flexes and aluminum bends, makes it hard to compare on some things like this, as for the rifle toss yes it would be hard on the upper but it would also stress the two contact points where it attaches to the lower, which are some of the weaker parts...


If anyone is curious there's been a discussion going on about it over at AR15.com with input from someone who works for the company...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_12/56..._advantge.html
__________________
HEAT
corwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
gorcorps
aka Brandon
 
gorcorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South Bend
Posts: 25,805
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post
Complete upper assembly or just receiver? I'd like to build a gas piston AR but that's not cheap..
A complete upper from PSA. I want one of their flat top quad rail 16" stainless barrel systems, though it's not a piston system. I prefer stainless as a barrel material and think it looks nice when it's not blued afterwards. The floating stainless barrel in the diamond pattern quad rail setup looks badass.

Not sure I'll shoot enough to make a piston system necessary anyway. It's not like I won't be cleaning it every time I go shooting.
__________________
-So sayeth Brandon, knower of things
PSN: gorcorps|||Steam: gorcorps
HEATWARE
gorcorps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
Spurst
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,510
Default

wonder how this ranks compared to my Cav Arms CAV-15 composite lower. I have a sportical upper on that rifle, and that thing is so light!

This is definitely a viable option for a lower, but it just feels like all the companies who try making these things end up going broke.
__________________
My Heat
Spurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #13
corwin
Diamond Member
 
corwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Where I am
Posts: 8,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorcorps View Post
A complete upper from PSA. I want one of their flat top quad rail 16" stainless barrel systems, though it's not a piston system. I prefer stainless as a barrel material and think it looks nice when it's not blued afterwards. The floating stainless barrel in the diamond pattern quad rail setup looks badass.

Not sure I'll shoot enough to make a piston system necessary anyway. It's not like I won't be cleaning it every time I go shooting.
From everything I've seen/heard the gas piston systems don't really make them any more reliable or cleaner really, they just change where they get dirty from the chamber to the rail area...not that having another flavor of AR around is a bad thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurst View Post
wonder how this ranks compared to my Cav Arms CAV-15 composite lower. I have a sportical upper on that rifle, and that thing is so light!

This is definitely a viable option for a lower, but it just feels like all the companies who try making these things end up going broke.
This is supposed to be a stronger polymer formula to get past some of the problems that others have had...only time will tell how well they hold up but it's reported they have one of these lowers on a rental range gun in Nevada that's seen over 25k (or maybe 50k, can't remember off hand) rounds put through it that's still going strong, and 99% of those have been full auto...can't see most "normal" people putting it through that kind of use anytime soon

EDIT: Here's the thread at Nevada shooters forum discussing it, and they say it's over 25k mostly full auto...
http://www.nevadashooters.com/showthread.php?t=25398
__________________
HEAT

Last edited by corwin; 02-13-2012 at 10:08 AM.
corwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #14
gorcorps
aka Brandon
 
gorcorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South Bend
Posts: 25,805
Default

I've talked to some folks about it and there's a lot of people interested in it. Shipping savings are pretty big with bulk orders though, as single item shipping was ~$12 but only got up to $15 when I went to 5. Does anybody know if it'd be an issue buying multiples on one person but then registering each one to a different person at the FFL? I can call one later today but was wondering if anybody knows off hand.
__________________
-So sayeth Brandon, knower of things
PSN: gorcorps|||Steam: gorcorps
HEATWARE
gorcorps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #15
corwin
Diamond Member
 
corwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Where I am
Posts: 8,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorcorps View Post
I've talked to some folks about it and there's a lot of people interested in it. Shipping savings are pretty big with bulk orders though, as single item shipping was ~$12 but only got up to $15 when I went to 5. Does anybody know if it'd be an issue buying multiples on one person but then registering each one to a different person at the FFL? I can call one later today but was wondering if anybody knows off hand.
Shouldn't be an issue since you are going to be charged a transfer fee for each one of them the same as if you all ordered them separately anyway, you'd just all have to be there to fill out the paperwork...
__________________
HEAT
corwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #16
gorcorps
aka Brandon
 
gorcorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South Bend
Posts: 25,805
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwin View Post
Shouldn't be an issue since you are going to be charged a transfer fee for each one of them the same as if you all ordered them separately anyway, you'd just all have to be there to fill out the paperwork...
That's what we figured, which is fine. It just saves a lot of shipping to give one guy the money for all of them and do one big order. I'll double check with the FFL to be sure but I think it's a go.
__________________
-So sayeth Brandon, knower of things
PSN: gorcorps|||Steam: gorcorps
HEATWARE
gorcorps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #17
corwin
Diamond Member
 
corwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Where I am
Posts: 8,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorcorps View Post
That's what we figured, which is fine. It just saves a lot of shipping to give one guy the money for all of them and do one big order. I'll double check with the FFL to be sure but I think it's a go.
Your smart for checking around before ordering, I ordered first and now I've found several more people interested, could have saved some money myself Oh well...
__________________
HEAT
corwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #18
DoeBoy
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 153
Default Why would you want polymer?

I guess the only reason would be to lower the weight of the weapon. I got my lower for $50 "These forged lowers are quality made using material is 7075-T6 and are marked "CAL MULTI" to accommodate most builds. Finish is Black Hardcoat Anodize per MIL-8625 Type 3 class 2." remember thou that was for a stripper lower so this polymer one might appeal to a lot of people at that kind of price.

it was during a sale at palmettostatearmory and I built my first ar15 using other parts from their website. They normally go for I think around 70 or 80 dollars and its solid not polymer. I can't say I would trust the durability of a polymer weapon, but I don't own one so who knows. They run sales at palmetto during holidays and the 50 dollar lower is always there so just an FYI for anybody looking into this type of product in the future.
__________________
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77
Intel I7-3770
32gb Patriot Viper DDR3 1600
Galaxy GTX 670 GC 2GB *Factory Overclock very close to 680 perf*
SeaSonic SS-660XP 660W PLATINUM
*Lookin out for a samsung 830 256gb sdd deal*
DoeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #19
sygyzy
Lifer
 
sygyzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 14,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorcorps View Post
I've talked to some folks about it and there's a lot of people interested in it. Shipping savings are pretty big with bulk orders though, as single item shipping was ~$12 but only got up to $15 when I went to 5. Does anybody know if it'd be an issue buying multiples on one person but then registering each one to a different person at the FFL? I can call one later today but was wondering if anybody knows off hand.
I don't understand what you are saying here. If you buy one receiver, it's $12 to ship. But if you buy 5 receivers it's $15 total? So you are saving $9 each if you get four other people to join in?
__________________
Peace!
Sygyzy
joshspear
The Perfect Cup of Tea (How-To)
sygyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #20
corwin
Diamond Member
 
corwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Where I am
Posts: 8,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoeBoy View Post
I guess the only reason would be to lower the weight of the weapon. I got my lower for $50 "These forged lowers are quality made using material is 7075-T6 and are marked "CAL MULTI" to accommodate most builds. Finish is Black Hardcoat Anodize per MIL-8625 Type 3 class 2." remember thou that was for a stripper lower so this polymer one might appeal to a lot of people at that kind of price.

it was during a sale at palmettostatearmory and I built my first ar15 using other parts from their website. They normally go for I think around 70 or 80 dollars and its solid not polymer. I can't say I would trust the durability of a polymer weapon, but I don't own one so who knows. They run sales at palmetto during holidays and the 50 dollar lower is always there so just an FYI for anybody looking into this type of product in the future.
Yes the weight savings, and not having to wait for a sale, would be the benefits of this right now...well you also get the buffer/tube/spring/stock as well so it's still a slightly better deal in price...that said I bought 2 PSA lowers when they were on sale at Christmas, one is built and the other was going to be my wife's before this came along, she has already said mine is "heavy" so I was hoping to save as much weight as possible on hers, this fit right in with that
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post
I don't understand what you are saying here. If you buy one receiver, it's $12 to ship. But if you buy 5 receivers it's $15 total? So you are saving $9 each if you get four other people to join in?
Looks like exactly that...I should have asked around before I ordered mine this morning, especially since mine has shipped already
__________________
HEAT
corwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #21
MrVeedo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 974
Default

Me and a buddy are in. Been tossing around the idea of building one for a while, this should be fun.
__________________
Keep yer stick on the ice.......
MrVeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #22
Samus
Golden Member
 
Samus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,313
Default

polymer FTW!
__________________
"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Samus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #23
jlee
Lifer
 
jlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 44,465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwin View Post
That's an amazing price right there if it's a complete upper...best online I can find is about $408 from Palmetto State Armory that's a carbine gas system and includes the BCG and charging handle...$428 for a mid length
Unfortunately just the receiver, not the whole assembly.
__________________
Heat Tacoma MR2 LX450
jlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #24
Nunya
Senior Member
 
Nunya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 281
Default

I've been thinking of building an AR-15 for a while. If I find a pawn shop that will do the transfer what do I do at that point?

Also, for someone who's never built a gun before, what's the difficulty of putting one of these together?
__________________
Why don't buy it.. It only costs you few dollars. This price lower than you drink something at coffee shop

We can not 100% sure not problem with every product
Nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:19 AM   #25
twinrider1
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,452
Default

Metallica's Orion in the beginning of their vids, nice.
If I had a rifle range nearby, I'd be all over this. I do want to build one. Tempting.
twinrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.