· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
Kaido
Lifer

Default Fat doctors are less likely to help patients lose weight

http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/3...s-lose-weight/

Quote:
...the researchers found that 93% of doctors diagnosed obesity in their patients only if they believed their own weight was equal to or less than that of their patients; only 7% of doctors who believed their weight exceeded that of their patients diagnosed obesity.

But the results also shed light on the complexities of the doctor-patient relationship, especially concerning obesity, and suggest that anti-obesity efforts that focus nearly exclusively on patients may be too one-sided. Indeed, doctors are just as heavy as the rest of Americans: the Johns Hopkins study found that 53% of the physicians were overweight or obese, which tracks with the 64% of U.S. adults who fall in the same categories
Old 01-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
ichy
Diamond Member

BMI is not and was never meant to be the sole determiner if someone is obese.
ichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
Bateluer
Lifer

I am confused . . . why exactly does someone need a doctor to diagnose them with obesity? Step on a scale, Google BMI calculator. Its not rocket science to know you're a fat ass.
Bateluer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
Kaido
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateluer View Post
I am confused . . . why exactly does someone need a doctor to diagnose them with obesity? Step on a scale, Google BMI calculator. Its not rocket science to know you're a fat ass.
This is what kills me:

Quote:
In the study, when overweight or obese doctors did address obesity, they were more likely than their normal weight counterparts to prescribe anti-obesity medications (26% vs. 18%), rather than lifestyle changes such as diet and exercise.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
highland145
Lifer

Quote:
Dr.'s leading by example.

I believe people have a body image of themselves that is so far from reality that they think they're fit and see no need to question it.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
Pantlegz
Diamond Member

Quote:
Unless you're like me and have a BMI of <30 and have less body fat than most people with a 'healthy' BMI... The scale doesn't really help either, when you're seeing 230+ you know you're heavy. If I add 10-20lbs of fat, my BMI is sill in the obese range, the scale still says I'm heavy but I'm considerably less healthy than I was before gaining ~4-8% of my body weight... Not that I couldn't tell I was a fat ass if I did gain 20 lbs but BMI and the scale aren't always reliable. Also if you're accustom to being around fat asses you might not consider it anything abnormal if you've get winded walking up a flight of stairs. All the normal sized people are just skinnier than normal. Hell I consider anyone under 200lbs to be scrawny, I'm about average and you're not heavy until closer to 300lbs.

Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated
Pantlegz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Bateluer
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by highland145 View Post
Dr.'s leading by example.

I believe people have a body image of themselves that is so far from reality that they think they're fit and see no need to question it.
Been saying this for a while now. I believe I started a thread about it on here a few months back when Sports Illustrated<?> did a nude photo shoot of several top athletes and ended up taking criticism because idiots claimed the athletes were promoting unhealthy body images.

My own grandma told me I was too skinny after seeing some of race photos from the Coldwater Rumble on 21 Jan, when I'm actually almost exactly what I should be.

Fat people irritate me because 99% of the time, its their fault they got that way, and their fault for not taking any action to change, and especially aggravating when they criticize healthy people for basically making them feel bad about their body.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
Pantlegz
Diamond Member

Quote:
Fat people irritate me because 99% of the time, its their fault they got that way, and their fault for not taking any action to change, and especially aggravating when they criticize healthy people for basically making them feel bad about their body.
Skinny people irritate me because being an easy gainer is hell. Especially when there are people that just say 'eat less' that's not always an option. I'm far from fat now but before I started working out as much as I do, many people say I spend too much time in the gym, I had a very hard time managing my weight. I'll admit I didn't have the best diet in the world but I've always gained weight like it's nobody's business. My body's natural weight is roughly 250lbs, no matter my diet/exercise my body tends to gravitate to 250lbs. Right now I'm eating a very strict diet spend more than 12 hours a week working out, both lifting heavy as hell and BJJ(cardio/explosive movement) I have a hard time maintaining consistent weight loss. The smallest change to my diet, or an off day can easily erase a week or 2 of hard work. At that point it's more of a mental defeat than anything losing a weeks worth of progress in a day is very defeating and I have to push myself a lot harder than, I think, most to keep going with my dieting. Granted I have a lot of motivation at the moment but there are times where there isn't as much outside motivation and it's hard to keep at it.

I know I'm probably not that type of person you were referring and I feel the same way about fat asses that don't even bother trying or place the blame on something/anything but themselves. I just felt the need to vent because it's not always just that easy.

Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated
Pantlegz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
highland145
Lifer

Quote:
Been saying this for a while now. I believe I started a thread about it on here a few months back when Sports Illustrated<?> did a nude photo shoot of several top athletes and ended up taking criticism because idiots claimed the athletes were promoting unhealthy body images.
I remember the thread. Hard bodies, FTW.

~20 year old daughter of an old employee stopped by the office wearing pink shorts with "sexy" on the back. They were the size of billboard letters and I'm thinking, "Are you kidding me. Yuck."

Pantz, I easily gain weight too. Not as bad as you from the sound of it and I tend to drink too much beer.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
Bateluer
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantlegz1 View Post
Skinny people irritate me because being an easy gainer is hell. Especially when there are people that just say 'eat less' that's not always an option. I'm far from fat now but before I started working out as much as I do, many people say I spend too much time in the gym, I had a very hard time managing my weight. I'll admit I didn't have the best diet in the world but I've always gained weight like it's nobody's business. My body's natural weight is roughly 250lbs, no matter my diet/exercise my body tends to gravitate to 250lbs. Right now I'm eating a very strict diet spend more than 12 hours a week working out, both lifting heavy as hell and BJJ(cardio/explosive movement) I have a hard time maintaining consistent weight loss. The smallest change to my diet, or an off day can easily erase a week or 2 of hard work. At that point it's more of a mental defeat than anything losing a weeks worth of progress in a day is very defeating and I have to push myself a lot harder than, I think, most to keep going with my dieting. Granted I have a lot of motivation at the moment but there are times where there isn't as much outside motivation and it's hard to keep at it.

I know I'm probably not that type of person you were referring and I feel the same way about fat asses that don't even bother trying or place the blame on something/anything but themselves. I just felt the need to vent because it's not always just that easy.
Uh, I'm an easy gainer. I can eat a half pound burger and gain 1.5lbs on the scale. I just burn it off with 50 miles per week, there's no magic, trick, or luck behind it.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
fleshconsumed
Diamond Member

Quote:

~20 year old daughter of an old employee stopped by the office wearing pink shorts with "sexy" on the back. They were the size of billboard letters and I'm thinking, "Are you kidding me. Yuck."

Pantz, I easily gain weight too. Not as bad as you from the sound of it and I tend to drink too much beer.
Link? Would like to read that.
fleshconsumed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
highland145
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshconsumed View Post
Link? Would like to read that.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthre...shoot+athletes
Old 01-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
Theb
Diamond Member

Quote:

She should've gone with "Juicy"
Theb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #14
highland145
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theb View Post
She should've gone with "Juicy"
A 1% reduction in the letter size...that would still work.

Bleh.