· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
papaschtroumpf

Default android: auto-organize apps into folders?

I'm using a folder app on my android phone so I can put apps in different folders on my home screens. the problem is that as I buy apps, I have to remember to manually drag them to the right folder, otherwise I have to find them in the see of icons that is the apps list.

How do you deal with this?

- is there an app that somehow would know to put games in a games folder? (donp;t know if apps are a tagged into categories)

- is there a way to have any new program installed have its icon be automatically added to a home screen? That's what the iphone does. Not ideal but at least it acts as a reminder that you downloaded stuff the needs dragged to the right folder.

BTW, I tend to download and delete a lot of apps
* i7-3770 on Win 7 Pro * Core 2 Duo Ubuntu 12.04 server (DLNA, print, SMB) * rooted Nexus 4 * Nexus 7 SmoothROM Tablet UI * ainol 7 Fire on CM10.1, * Galaxy Nexus on CM10.1 * I even used to own a jailbroken iPod touch once...
papaschtroumpf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Red Storm
Lifer

Notifications tell you when you've downloaded/installed an app.

I know on my Nexus almost every app I download automatically creates a shortcut on the homescreen. I personally find this a bit annoying, as I always avoid having a grid-o-icons on my homescreen.

Have you tried ADW Launcher? They have a feature that let's you create categories for your app drawer list. I've never actually tried it myself as I'm fine with 3 pages of apps, but maybe it's what you're looking for?
Old 01-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
trmiv
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Storm View Post
I know on my Nexus almost every app I download automatically creates a shortcut on the homescreen. I personally find this a bit annoying, as I always avoid having a grid-o-icons on my homescreen.
you can disable the auto shortcut thing by opening the Market, going to settings, and uncheck Auto-add widgets. Don't ask me why it's called widgets and not apps.
trmiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmiv View Post
you can disable the auto shortcut thing by opening the Market, going to settings, and uncheck Auto-add widgets. Don't ask me why it's called widgets and not apps.
Nice to know it's an option, thanks!
Old 01-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
papaschtroumpf

I usually don;t want to deal with organizing my apps at the time I download them. for example I may download the free app of the day in the middle of my work day, before it's no longer free, but may not get to try it (and possibly deleted it) until later, even days later, so the notification area has usually been cleared by then.

I wasn't aware of the auto-add widgets. that's one (unelegant) way to deal with it.
I don't like having a sea of icons either, so having those extra icons will definitely act as a good reminder I need to sort through them.
* i7-3770 on Win 7 Pro * Core 2 Duo Ubuntu 12.04 server (DLNA, print, SMB) * rooted Nexus 4 * Nexus 7 SmoothROM Tablet UI * ainol 7 Fire on CM10.1, * Galaxy Nexus on CM10.1 * I even used to own a jailbroken iPod touch once...
papaschtroumpf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
hanoverphist
Diamond Member

i had one of the folder apps on my phone before i had to wipe it, and it would always ask me what folder to put new apps in. i thought it was a pain at the time, but now that i cant remember which folder app it was i kind of miss it.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
shortylickens
No Lifer

This is the one thing that Android kinda lack in, and hasnt been fixed in any official versions.
All apps should be required to flag one main category, and there should be an option to auto-distribute or sort them if you like.

At least with WP7 all games go under the Xbox app. That saves quite a bit of space on your start menu. Of course if you install 57 utilities you are still gonna get cluttered.

Say what your observation is or move on... I keep saying it and I'll say it again. These posts add absolutely no value besides a +1 to your post count.
shortylickens is offline   Reply With Quote