· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 07-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #201
sm625
Diamond Member

Well I for one am tired of my desktop pumping out heat like its a space heater. And mine is only pulling 200 watts from the wall. It is amazing how much heat you get from 200 watts! If haswell can give me the same cpu and gpu performance as my current i5-750 3.4GHz / HD5770, for only 15 watts, then I'd be happy to replace it with a tablet. I seriously doubt it is going to be able to do that. Luckily a 5770 is a bit beyond what I need, so there is a chance that whatever fits into a tablet form will still be enough.
AT forum member #1: Buy a 4790k

I am looking for a way to get 10 more fps in TF2.
AT forum member #2: Buy a 4790k
sm625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #202
hoodlum90

It looks like the GT3 will be only available for Mobile CPUs. I am concerned that Intel is shifting focus to mobile and Xeon cpus while artificially limiting the capabilities of the traditional desktop cpus. We are already seeing this with overclocking and now with graphics as well

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/2...rocessors.html
hoodlum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #203
Rumpelstiltskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweakboy View Post
You guys are forgetting.. Haswell will have 6 core 12 threads models for desktop.

I see more then just 5 percent IPC , more like 15 to 25 percent... and throw in quad chanell 2400Mhz memory and a SSD ,, the haswell will pownz us all.
Why does everyone keep saying this? Intel's slides clearly show 2/4 cores for haswell.
Rumpelstiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #204
ShintaiDK
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post
Why does everyone keep saying this? Intel's slides clearly show 2/4 cores for haswell.
Either they are talking about Haswell-E. Or they are just in a dream

Yes, Haswell for mobile and desktop(LGA1150) will be 2 and 4 cores.
ShintaiDK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #205
Sweepr
Golden Member

As long as they keep improving performance end efficiency with higher IPC, clocks, and lower power comsumption each gen I dont see need to release hexa-cores for mainstream users. Higher single-thread performance translates to more performance more often than +cores in client apps.
X1900XT.
Ocz GamerXStream 700W ATX12V.
Watercooling.
Sweepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #206
Kristijonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweepr View Post
As long as they keep improving performance end efficiency with higher IPC, clocks, and lower power comsumption each gen I dont see need to release hexa-cores for mainstream users. Higher single-thread performance translates to more performance more often than +cores in client apps.
Exactly my thoughts.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #207
Edrick
Golden Member

Quote:
The people who say it are just talking out of their arse with no proof whatsoever. It is best to just ignore them.
Gigabyte GTX 660
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Antec Eleven Hundred
Edrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:01 AM   #208
Rumpelstiltskin

Is anyone else as excited about this new architecture as I am? Even if the performance only goes up by a small amount, it will introduce and support pretty much all the standards on the road map for the foreseeable future. I can't think of a better reason to upgrade, as it will likely last you many many years before retiring.
Rumpelstiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #209
thm1223

Quote:
Is anyone else as excited about this new architecture as I am? Even if the performance only goes up by a small amount, it will introduce and support pretty much all the standards on the road map for the foreseeable future. I can't think of a better reason to upgrade, as it will likely last you many many years before retiring.
Pardon my ignorance, but could you explain what you mean by "it will introduce and support pretty much all the standards on the road map for the foreseeable future"?

Also, don't most processors that have come out in the last few years fall under the "it will likely last you many many years before retiring" category?
thm1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #210
Lonbjerg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thm1223 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but could you explain what you mean by "it will introduce and support pretty much all the standards on the road map for the foreseeable future"?

Also, don't most processors that have come out in the last few years fall under the "it will likely last you many many years before retiring" category?
Google AVX2...
Lonbjerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #211
BenchPress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonbjerg View Post
Google AVX2...
...and HLE, RTM, BMI2, FMA3...
BenchPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #212
Pr0d1gy
Diamond Member

I am absolutely looking forward to Haswell. My last processor was an FX-55, so I imagine this will be like going from dial-up to broadband....lol

The best part is I plan on building a new gaming/multimedia PC with my tax returns and reports indicate that is exactly when Haswell is being released.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #213
Hugo Drax
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum90 View Post
It looks like the GT3 will be only available for Mobile CPUs. I am concerned that Intel is shifting focus to mobile and Xeon cpus while artificially limiting the capabilities of the traditional desktop cpus. We are already seeing this with overclocking and now with graphics as well

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/2...rocessors.html

Wow that sucks. The intel GPU works great in Linux. I have a few workstations based on the 3770K and built in GPU running 3.5 kernel.

I would love to see GT3 in the K series chip they release in 2013
Hugo Drax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #214
Lonbjerg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Drax View Post
Wow that sucks. The intel GPU works great in Linux. I have a few workstations based on the 3770K and built in GPU running 3.5 kernel.

I would love to see GT3 in the K series chip they release in 2013
I would love for them to rip the IGP far, far away from my CPU's...
Lonbjerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #215
shadow_k

Does anyone know or have any clue on improvements that 1150 mobo will have over z77?
shadow_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #216
Abwx
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_k View Post
Does anyone know or have any clue on improvements that 1150 mobo will have over z77?

Informations are still scarce about HW.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell...rchitecture%29
Abwx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #217
tynopik
Platinum Member

Quote:
Haswell support

cheaper (theoretically)

MAYBE true triple monitor support for the IGP

otherwise everything stays where it is: USB3, PCIe 3.0, SATA3, DDR3, etc

Last edited by tynopik; 07-24-2012 at 08:12 PM.
tynopik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #218
pantsaregood

Just saw on Wikipedia that Haswell is expected to have an L2 Trace Cache. If it does, what exactly does this entail?

I know NetBurst employed an L1 Trace, but I don't really know how that affected performance.
pantsaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #219
ShintaiDK
Lifer

Quote:
The 8 series chipset aint changed much (And why would it?). You basicly get more SATA6 ports and more USB3.

Else a big change is the ondie VRM. So you will notice motherboards looking quite different.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #220
BenchPress

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantsaregood View Post
Just saw on Wikipedia that Haswell is expected to have an L2 Trace Cache. If it does, what exactly does this entail?

I know NetBurst employed an L1 Trace, but I don't really know how that affected performance.
That expectation seems a bit sketchy. First of all Sandy/Ivy Bridge doesn't have a trace cache but a uop cache, and going back to a NetBurst-style trace cache for Haswell is extremely unlikely.

Even if we assume they meant an L2 uop cache, it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Uops are relatively big, and the purpose of the uop cache is to lower the branch misprediction latency and save on decoding power. Missing the L1 uop cache and having to access an L2 uop cache adds latency, so there's probably no gain there. And the L1 uop cache already has a hit rate of 80% so an L2 uop cache wouldn't significantly lower the decoder activity either. Besides, the uop cache is really more like an L0 instruction cache. So I don't see where another cache level would fit in.

The only thing I can imagine is that the L1 instruction cache would contain predecoding information. It would lower the branch misprediction latency by a bit and potentially save some power. More importantly this could also allow them to perform macro-op fusion between a mov and an arithmetic instruction. The predecoder could check for operand dependencies in a power efficient way since it wouldn't be pressed for time if it sits between the L2 and L1 cache. It also saves uop cache space since they are non-destructive already.

This would improve Haswell's scalar IPC by several percent.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #221
Hugo Drax
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchPress View Post
That expectation seems a bit sketchy. First of all Sandy/Ivy Bridge doesn't have a trace cache but a uop cache, and going back to a NetBurst-style trace cache for Haswell is extremely unlikely.

Even if we assume they meant an L2 uop cache, it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Uops are relatively big, and the purpose of the uop cache is to lower the branch misprediction latency and save on decoding power. Missing the L1 uop cache and having to access an L2 uop cache adds latency, so there's probably no gain there. And the L1 uop cache already has a hit rate of 80% so an L2 uop cache wouldn't significantly lower the decoder activity either. Besides, the uop cache is really more like an L0 instruction cache. So I don't see where another cache level would fit in.

The only thing I can imagine is that the L1 instruction cache would contain predecoding information. It would lower the branch misprediction latency by a bit and potentially save some power. More importantly this could also allow them to perform macro-op fusion between a mov and an arithmetic instruction. The predecoder could check for operand dependencies in a power efficient way since it wouldn't be pressed for time if it sits between the L2 and L1 cache. It also saves uop cache space since they are non-destructive already.

This would improve Haswell's scalar IPC by several percent.
You should go and work at Intel.

assuming you don't already work there.
Hugo Drax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #222
bronxzv

@BenchPress not directly related to this post but to a past discussion of ours about the MIC-AVX convergence, one more clue it's coming: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showpost.php?p=190704

"Reconciliation of MIC instruction sets with future AVX is a publicized goal"
bronxzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #223
oceanside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0d1gy View Post
I am absolutely looking forward to Haswell. My last processor was an FX-55, so I imagine this will be like going from dial-up to broadband....lol

The best part is I plan on building a new gaming/multimedia PC with my tax returns and reports indicate that is exactly when Haswell is being released.
Well, I'm sending this P4(478)Prescott out to pasture when Haswell comes out. Unless they decide to keep the paste under the IHS like Ivy. Then I may decide to vote with my dollar and support the underdog. Say what you want about Prescotts... at least they have a soldered lid. Lasted a good long time of faithful service over the years of daily use.
oceanside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #224
ShintaiDK
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanside View Post
Well, I'm sending this P4(478)Prescott out to pasture when Haswell comes out. Unless they decide to keep the paste under the IHS like Ivy. Then I may decide to vote with my dollar and support the underdog. Say what you want about Prescotts... at least they have a soldered lid. Lasted a good long time of faithful service over the years of daily use.
So you base your buy on whatever paste is used, seriously?
Old 07-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #225
BenchPress

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxzv View Post
not directly related to this post but to a past discussion of ours about the MIC-AVX convergence, one more clue it's coming: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showpost.php?p=190704

"Reconciliation of MIC instruction sets with future AVX is a publicized goal"
Awesome. Thanks for the heads up.