· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
WAZ
Golden Member

Question Cable modem suddenly going offline intermittently

A few weeks ago I started noticing some random disconnects on my cable modem; now lately it's happening about every 20 mins or so. I'm just working or playing a game, and bam, orange light for about 15 seconds. Then it re-connects on its own after a few seconds and it's fine till it does it again... and again...

I've tried unplugging and rebooting my router, modem, and VOIPo adapter, to no avail. Does this sound like...

1) A router issue? I just opened a bunch of ports for Battlefield 3 recently; wasn't sure if that could contribute to this in any way, but the timing would be very close and coincidental.

2) My D-Link modem failing? Need to buy a new one?

3) An ISP issue? Do I need to get on the phone with Comcast?

I've had no issues for about 5 years and this JUST started happening, so I don't think anything is mis-configured or anything. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
amdhunter
Lifer

Probably on it's way out. See if you can login to the modem to check signal levels. If they look good (+2dB to -9dB is acceptable), your modem is probably going bad.

If the signal is bad (way under 7dB) then check your splitters for damage. After 5 years, you'd be surprised how crappy they can get (especially ones outdoors.)
amdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
gsaldivar
Diamond Member

Is your modem leased with your cable internet service? If so, just take it in and trade it for a new one.
150,000 people are imprisoned in North Korea's brutal prison camps. From birth to death, entire generations are kept in absolute misery behind an electric fence. Please take a few minutes of your day to hear their story, and use your own voice to speak out for those who don't have one.
gsaldivar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
MtnMan
Golden Member

Well it ain't your router.

Check connections, have you added any splitters, etc. for new devices. Browse to 192.168.100.1 (addy of most cable modems) and look at log, SNR, signal levels.

Disconnect and reconnect all connections up to your modem (this creates "new" connections) and is free.

Of course it could be your modem's last days, especially if it's 5+ years old.
"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing."- Adolf Hitler
MtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
ImDonly1
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
Well it ain't your router.

Check connections, have you added any splitters, etc. for new devices. Browse to 192.168.100.1 (addy of most cable modems) and look at log, SNR, signal levels.

Disconnect and reconnect all connections up to your modem (this creates "new" connections) and is free.

Of course it could be your modem's last days, especially if it's 5+ years old.
Post the signals here like the above guy said. Go to the signals page and post them here. Some of the logs might help too, but edit your MAC address out if you do post the logs.
ImDonly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
WAZ
Golden Member

Awesome, thanks for the tips guys. I'll check the signals and outside splitter this weekend.

I own the modem (not lease)... actually it's probably closer to 6 or 7 years old, now that I think of it... so if that is the problem then I will have to buy a new one. Probably about the same price as a Comcast service call, so it'd be good to find out myself. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
gsaldivar
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAZ View Post
I will have to buy a new one. Probably about the same price as a Comcast service call, so it'd be good to find out myself. Thanks!
These days most service (DSL, Cable) includes a modem in the cost of the service. Just tell them that you are having chronic connection problems, and that you have an advertisement in front of you for a different provider where they are offering you a free modem.

Watch how quickly they ship you a free modem...
150,000 people are imprisoned in North Korea's brutal prison camps. From birth to death, entire generations are kept in absolute misery behind an electric fence. Please take a few minutes of your day to hear their story, and use your own voice to speak out for those who don't have one.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
ImDonly1
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsaldivar View Post
These days most service (DSL, Cable) includes a modem in the cost of the service. Just tell them that you are having chronic connection problems, and that you have an advertisement in front of you for a different provider where they are offering you a free modem.

Watch how quickly they ship you a free modem...
Never seen that. I have seen $7/mo rental fees though.

If you must buy a new one, slickdeals had a thread about getting the SB6121 Docsis 3 modem for I think $58 or $68 at Staples.
ImDonly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
gsaldivar
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDonly1 View Post
Never seen that. I have seen $7/mo rental fees though.
6-7 years ago, modem lease fees were common. They are quite rare now. ISP might require purchase only for a month-to-month account, but anything with a year term is almost always free install + free equipment. Even with a term commitment, you can always use a competing ISP's promotion to bargain for a free modem and/or discount from your current provider...
Old 01-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
VirtualLarry
Lifer

Quote:
6-7 years ago, modem lease fees were common. They are quite rare now.
Comcast, one of the largest nationwide cable providers, still charges $6/mo for cablemodem rental in the NE area.
"DON'T BUY INTEL, they will send secret signals down the internet, which
will considerably slow down your computer". - SOFTengCOMPelec
VirtualLarry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #11
MtnMan
Golden Member

Quote:
6-7 years ago, modem lease fees were common. They are quite rare now. ISP might require purchase only for a month-to-month account, but anything with a year term is almost always free install + free equipment. Even with a term commitment, you can always use a competing ISP's promotion to bargain for a free modem and/or discount from your current provider...
Charter increased the $5/month lease to $7/month several months ago, even sent out a letter that they were increasing the monthly lease. Owned my own modem for years.
"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing."- Adolf Hitler
MtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote