· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #26
NTAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2bwire View Post
Yeah, I learned quick that the front rank has to KNEEL.
Hah, that wasn't good enough in some occasions I basically just learned that if there is a squadie kneeling or otherwise somewhere in front of another, he will most likely get shot, its just the way it goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2bwire View Post
Haha. I never used tanks. The never seemed to be able to go in places where I needed them and they blew up after two hits.
I never did either, until I replayed the game later on, and found them to be invaluable, especially on the hardest difficulty settings, especially when it comes to base defense and especially against Etherelas, since the tanks are immune to psi attacks.
2 X Sapphire HD 6950 2GB Dirt 3 Edition (Shaders unlocked)
XFX 850W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 70A 24PIN ATX Power Supply
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe MKNSSDCR240GB-DX 2.5 240GB SATA III
Seagate Expansion 2 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive STAY2000102
NTAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #27
Mem
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganeedi View Post
Being developed for XBOX360, PS3, and PC.

What? Turnbased on console? While I wish it were popular, i cant imagine that being a success...
Hehe well some console users might be in for a shock especially where you have to think things through and know what you are doing.

I'm glad there is another new X-COM on the horizon,hope it lives up to the old classics.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #28
Gothgar
Lifer

Hopefully its not super easy babbys first strategy game
Old 01-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #29
boozie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganeedi View Post
Being developed for XBOX360, PS3, and PC.

What? Turnbased on console? While I wish it were popular, i cant imagine that being a success...
? Assuming you are just basing this off a stereotype of console gamers because it can totally work.

Final fantasy tactics is a great example.
boozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #30
AyashiKaibutsu
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTAC View Post
I never did either, until I replayed the game later on, and found them to be invaluable, especially on the hardest difficulty settings, especially when it comes to base defense and especially against Etherelas, since the tanks are immune to psi attacks.
In the no reload games I've played I used them extensively they may die in two shots, but that's one shot more than infantry take and tanks don't need to be leveled to be particularly good.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #31
NTAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyashiKaibutsu View Post
In the no reload games I've played I used them extensively they may die in two shots, but that's one shot more than infantry take and tanks don't need to be leveled to be particularly good.
"No Reload" is the only way to play the game IMO and yes, they are insanely valuable in those scenarios.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #32
GoodRevrnd
Diamond Member

Wishlist:
*please please please leave the randomly generated environments
*make it hexes
*some physics to the buildings, so you don't shoot out every first floor wall and the 2nd floor is floating up there
*pay homage to the art style
*make soldier stats easier to understand and manage
*better balance (more uses for all the equipment, heavy plasma > *, kinda silly)
Old 01-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #33
GoodRevrnd
Diamond Member

and wtf is this shit??

"We were careful to keep XCOM: Enemy Unknown true to the elements that made X-COM such a revered game while delivering an entirely new story and gameplay experience for both die-hard X-COM fans and newcomers to the franchise."

I don't want an entirely new gameplay experience. I want the old gameplay experience enhanced. Do whatever you want to the story, that wasn't important.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #34
Ross Ridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanatical Meat View Post
And it better have destructible terrain/environments. That it where every xcom remake fails.
According to Game Informer it sounds like it will:

Quote:
The huge feature in February's Game Informer goes into all the gory details of XCOM's destructible tactical environments, the interaction between the real-time strategic view and the turn-based combat, how the XCOM organization improves its capabilities as the war rages on, and much more.
Ross Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:09 AM   #35
paperfist
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteaus View Post
Firaxis didn't make a Railroad Tycoon sequel. Sid Meier's Railroads was a completely new game, which is why it didn't carry the Tycoon name even though Firaxis could have named it as such. To be fair, it was actually very good when you considered what it was meant to be. A proper Railroad Tycoon sequel is still possible, but Firaxis only works on one or two games at a time so it's not likely at this time.
In any interview I ever read Sid spoke about it as if it were a successor. Even if it wasn't Pirates and Colonization sure were and they sucked. Sorry Sid

heatWare
paperfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #36
GoodRevrnd
Diamond Member

What was wrong with Pirates? (Colonization did suck balls though.)
Old 01-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #37
Anteaus
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperfist View Post
In any interview I ever read Sid spoke about it as if it were a successor. Even if it wasn't Pirates and Colonization sure were and they sucked. Sorry Sid
I think they had originally planned to make a real Tycoon sequel at some point and Meier went the other way and completely reimagined and retooled the original design from the ground up. I was greatly let down like most people. Only after forcing myself to go back and play it with an open mind did I see it's strengths. I had fun with Railroads in the same way that I had fun with Jones In the Fast Lane from Sierra and Pirates!. It's a greatly toned down game design that keeps things light and quick.

I noticed that once Meier hit middle age we suddenly started seeing his games turn into lighter fare. He's still a great designer, but obviously his target demographic has shifted.
Anteaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #38
paperfist
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodRevrnd View Post
What was wrong with Pirates? (Colonization did suck balls though.)
The new Pirates! The map was super condensed, the AI seemed a lot easier to overcome then the first one and if I remember the land battles weren't as good.

The dancing part was kind of cool, but the short map really ruined it as it made sailing and planing really cake work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteaus View Post
I think they had originally planned to make a real Tycoon sequel at some point and Meier went the other way and completely reimagined and retooled the original design from the ground up. I was greatly let down like most people. Only after forcing myself to go back and play it with an open mind did I see it's strengths. I had fun with Railroads in the same way that I had fun with Jones In the Fast Lane from Sierra and Pirates!. It's a greatly toned down game design that keeps things light and quick.

I noticed that once Meier hit middle age we suddenly started seeing his games turn into lighter fare. He's still a great designer, but obviously his target demographic has shifted.
I'm forever scared by seeing images of Meier with an xbox controller used to design and test a competition game.

You're right about Railroads, a few years after I initially purchased it and had a cow over it I went back to play it and it wasn't so bad. It's still a shallow game missing elements even if you don't judge it on the past, but fun none the less. I'm not really sure (again like the new Pirates) they went with such small maps and had no random generation especially when you consider the scale of the trains - they look out of place.

heatWare

Last edited by paperfist; 01-06-2012 at 10:27 AM.
paperfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #39
BladeVenom
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanatical Meat View Post
And it better have destructible terrain/environments. That it where every xcom remake fails.
That was the best part, burning the aliens out, or just blowing everything up. I sent at least one auto-cannon with incendiary ammo on every mission no matter how good the alien weapons got.
BladeVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #40
Arglebargle

Xcom Apocalypse added some interesting iterations, including some wonderful destructable terrain.

Here's hoping that they have good judgement in developing the Xcom 'parts fans love'.

Sadly, Sid Meiers seems now to be just a name that get added to a product. Seems to have nothing to do with things after the initial conceptual pass. He didn't even make the best Civ game.
Arglebargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #41
Ross Ridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeVenom View Post
That was the best part, burning the aliens out, or just blowing everything up. I sent at least one auto-cannon with incendiary ammo on every mission no matter how good the alien weapons got.
I did this, but it was more for providing additional lighting.
Ross Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #42
AyashiKaibutsu
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arglebargle View Post
Xcom Apocalypse added some interesting iterations, including some wonderful destructable terrain.

Here's hoping that they have good judgement in developing the Xcom 'parts fans love'.

Sadly, Sid Meiers seems now to be just a name that get added to a product. Seems to have nothing to do with things after the initial conceptual pass. He didn't even make the best Civ game.
Brian Reynolds was always the talent behind popular Sid Meier games.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #43
lozina
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arglebargle View Post
He didn't even make the best Civ game.
who does?
lozina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #44
lozina
Lifer

One cool thing about XCOM was the way your soldiers abilities improved by use.

At one point I would take great advantage of this by setting up training camps.

Basically I'd take a bunch of recruits on a mission with some of my best psi-soldiers. The psi-soldiers would head out and mind control all the aliens and I'd make the aliens drop their guns and shuffle into a room where I posted guards on the doors, so they'd be trapped and unable to cause any harm.

Meanwhile my recruits would go through several different types on training exercises. One was to just take objects and throw them as far as they can, over and over. Another was to take a laser rifle (no ammo) and snipe at targets at long distance. Another was to practice with the psionic weapons against the trapped aliens. Or I could throw a recruit in with the aliens and they would increase reaction time. Made alot of super hero soldiers in that game
lozina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #45
NTAC

If anyone has doubts about the direction this game, this video should put those doubts to bed.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...oves-xcom.aspx
Old 01-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #46
Qbah
Diamond Member

Quote:
If anyone has doubts about the direction this game, this video should put those doubts to bed.

Great video! The talkative guy sounds like he's really into the game (and I did so many things the same way haha) that I'm really hopeful the remake will turn out great!

There was a link to another article on the right. Fun read too!

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...st-wasn-t.aspx
Old 01-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #47
AyashiKaibutsu
Diamond Member

Quote:

Yea, that adds a lot more promise. Although I'll still believe it lives up to it when I see it : p
Old 01-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #48
Born2bwire
Diamond Member

Quote:

Hahaha. The guy named his squaddies after his friends and family and on the first mission the first four guys died on the first turn.
Born2bwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #49
JSt0rm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozina View Post
One cool thing about XCOM was the way your soldiers abilities improved by use.

At one point I would take great advantage of this by setting up training camps.

Basically I'd take a bunch of recruits on a mission with some of my best psi-soldiers. The psi-soldiers would head out and mind control all the aliens and I'd make the aliens drop their guns and shuffle into a room where I posted guards on the doors, so they'd be trapped and unable to cause any harm.

Meanwhile my recruits would go through several different types on training exercises. One was to just take objects and throw them as far as they can, over and over. Another was to take a laser rifle (no ammo) and snipe at targets at long distance. Another was to practice with the psionic weapons against the trapped aliens. Or I could throw a recruit in with the aliens and they would increase reaction time. Made alot of super hero soldiers in that game
Smart very smart. That's what was cool about games back then. You could actually do stuff.
JSt0rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #50
Born2bwire
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
Smart very smart. That's what was cool about games back then. You could actually do stuff.
Dammit, can't we just put in a shooting range or something in the base?
Born2bwire is offline   Reply With Quote