· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
Red Squirrel
Lifer

Default Why do I sweat more when its cold?

I noticed that when it's cold, I actually sweat more under the arms. No amount of antiperspirant stops it. It just gushes out like a fountain and I'm always finding myself going in the bathroom to soak it up with tissue so it does not go through my clothes. It does not help that short sleeve shirts arn't available at this time of year so any new clothes I buy are long sleeves.

I sweat easily in the summer but that's a bit different considering it's hot.

Is this something I should see a doctor about, or is it perhaps a known issue that I can fix myself, either change of diet, or w/e? It's +15 in my house, yet I'm sweating. I'm actually a bit cold, yet, still sweating.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
SociallyChallenged
Elite

I doubt it's something you should see your doctor about. Unless you're also experiencing a racing heartbeat, palpitations, etc, it's not a big deal. Sometimes, if you're used to the cold, your body may be more effective at generating heat overall. At the particular warm-spots, like the armpits, you may just be extra warm, resulting in sweat.
I am a doctor of physical therapy. Information I provide is based on subjective report alone. This frequently results in speculation and, as a result, may not always be accurate. Thus I am not liable for any action taken based on information provided.

Now offering physical therapy consultation services via Skype, e-mail, and phone. Please PM me for details.
SociallyChallenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
Exodist

Its possible that you feel more sweaty due to the cold and/or during the summer months your sweat is slightly evaporating more making it feel like your sweating less since there is less sweat standing on your body.
Exodist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
Red Squirrel
Lifer

So is there anything I can do to reduce this? Or is it kinda tough luck, some people sweat more than others? Could my diet affect it? I try to eat healthy but I would not say I'm the healthiest eater.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
SociallyChallenged
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
So is there anything I can do to reduce this? Or is it kinda tough luck, some people sweat more than others? Could my diet affect it? I try to eat healthy but I would not say I'm the healthiest eater.
I doubt diet would affect it. It's more like your body's adaptation to the environment. There are prescription antiperspirants you could use, which should actually help with the amount of sweat. They're a pretty big pain in the butt though.
I am a doctor of physical therapy. Information I provide is based on subjective report alone. This frequently results in speculation and, as a result, may not always be accurate. Thus I am not liable for any action taken based on information provided.

Now offering physical therapy consultation services via Skype, e-mail, and phone. Please PM me for details.
SociallyChallenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
Red Squirrel
Lifer

I was thinking too, now that it's colder, there is more active heating going on, maybe that's the cause too. Even though the actual temp may be lower, there is more fluctuations. It's not a huge deal, but can be anoying. Guess I can probably just live with it. Guess the good thing is, I do save a lot on heating by keeping it so low.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
prism

Get some Certain-Dri, should be able to get it at a local Walgreens or other pharmacy. Use it consistently and as directed, and put regular anti-perspirant on over it as it's unscented.
prism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
Mr. Pedantic
Diamond Member

My bet would be on some weird hypothalamic or hormonal problem. You could see your doctor if you want, I'm really curious about what you have, but it doesn't seem life-threatening.
Mr. Pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
IHateMyJob2004
Lifer

Could it just be that in colder temperatures that evaporation works slower so it is simply sweat building up?
or just download some free music:
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-band-showall.php 100% LEGIT!
IHateMyJob2004 is offline   Reply With Quote