Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Off Topic

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
JEDI
Lifer
 
JEDI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Somewhere between hare . . . . . & their
Posts: 20,133
Default Space heater vs Ceramic Heater

regular space heater $15:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pelonis-Fa...ostat/17808724


Ceramic heater $15 (on sale):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16896268014


Which is better? WHY?
__________________
Quote:
Irony: The new Virgin Mary aborted the 2nd coming of Christ in 2000
Happy 50th anniversay of JFK's assassination: I was there & saw the other Lone Gunmen on the Grassy Knoll. Elvis!!
-He got away with the kill but Marilyn Monroe got her revenge in a murder/suicide.
Proof God exists: https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...06913729_n.png I blame Bush!

Last edited by JEDI; 11-23-2011 at 10:52 AM.
JEDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
edro
Lifer
 
edro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Columbus of Ohio
Posts: 22,269
Default

Ceramic brake pads are space aged and last forever, yet ceramic flower pots break easily.
Tough, tough decision...
edro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
Specop 007
Diamond Member
 
Specop 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edro View Post
Ceramic brake pads are space aged and last forever, yet ceramic flower pots break easily.
Tough, tough decision...
What about ceramic pipes? They seem to handle high heat and also some degree of abuse.
Specop 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
Saint Nick
Lifer
 
Saint Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Land of Ooze
Posts: 17,696
Default

I am interested as well. The house I am renting has horrible central air.
__________________
Be kind; everyone is in the midst of a struggle. | heatware (64-0-0)
Saint Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
DrPizza
Administrator
Elite Member
Goat Whisperer
 
DrPizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Western NY
Posts: 44,768
Default

A watt is a watt. A 1500 watt heater provides the same amount of heat as any other 1500 watt heater. However, an infrared heater can more easily be directed toward the occupants, heating them a little more without heating the room as much & can make it seem as if it's warmer (well, if there's only one occupant.) Then again, you can get a 1500 watt heat gun, or a blow dryer, and just aim it at yourself - same effect. But, over time, either will provide the same amount of heat to the room. Then again, the infrared heater, if aimed toward the wall, will heat the wall a little warmer than it otherwise would have been. Heat transfer is related to the difference in temperature, so a warmer wall is going to radiate more heat to the outside than a cooler wall.

That said, I'd then base my decision on which unit is safest to operate. Does it have a tip-over switch? Does it have exposed elements that are hot enough to set a piece of paper on fire (or accumulated dust)?
__________________
Fainting Goats
DrPizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
ss284
Diamond Member
 
ss284's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,535
Default

I would also include the noise factor in your decision making. Most of these smaller cheaper heaters use a loud fan to circulate the heat. The larger, more expensive radiators put out the same amount of heat, but are completely silent.
ss284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
WhoBeDaPlaya
Diamond Member
 
WhoBeDaPlaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 5,870
Default

Neither. This is the best :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLHwaroZZkk
__________________
Main : Silverstone TJ09S - 4770K @ 4.6GHz - Z87-GD65 - 32GB Ballistix 1866 CL9 - Twin Frozr 780 - X-Fi Ti Fatal1ty Pro - BFG EX-1000 - Kuhler 920 - 6x NF-P12 - 840 Pro 512GB - F3 1TB - WH16NS40 - Logitech G19S - 2x Klipsch Promedia 2.1
HTPC : CM Stacker 830 - FX 8320 - M5A99FX Pro R2 - 8GB Ballistix 1600 CL8 - XFX 5670 - SeaSonic S12G-750 - 6x CF-V12HP - 16x HGST 5K4000 4TB - DW1640
Laptop : Clevo w230ss - i7 4810MQ - 16GB 1600 CL9 - GTX 860M - M500 240GB - HGST Travelstar 7200 1TB
WhoBeDaPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
SpatiallyAware
Lifer
 
SpatiallyAware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,958
Default

In my opinion the oil heaters are the best. They take awhile to warm up, so aren't good for 'just out of the shower' situations but are perfect for continually chilly areas.
SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
Vic Vega
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,537
Default

I don't know what BTC farming is. I probably don't want to.
Vic Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #10
Minerva
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 2,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
I don't know what BTC farming is. I probably don't want to.
It's money laundering at it's best. I'll be laughing my ass off at all these fuckers that paid money for ATI shit cards and high electric bills when their shit coins are worth less than 100 year old outhouse toilet paper. At least the shithouse paper can wipe their ass when they shit kittens...

Now if you crunch/fold for benefit like to cure cancer, then yes you have a decent heater there.

As far as tip over protection if anything has a UL label it's gonna have that. Basically anything made in the last 50 years...
Minerva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #11
NutBucket
Lifer
 
NutBucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: West SFV
Posts: 22,240
Default

If you intend to actually heat a room vs. have it only blowing directly at you, this little guy works great:

http://www.vornado.com/product.aspx?...d-9ac100b97d71

This works well too:
http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-751320-C...2074934&sr=8-5
NutBucket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #12
lxskllr
Lifer
 
lxskllr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 38,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
It's money laundering at it's best. I'll be laughing my ass off at all these fuckers that paid money for ATI shit cards and high electric bills when their shit coins are worth less than 100 year old outhouse toilet paper. At least the shithouse paper can wipe their ass when they shit kittens...

Now if you crunch/fold for benefit like to cure cancer, then yes you have a decent heater there.

As far as tip over protection if anything has a UL label it's gonna have that. Basically anything made in the last 50 years...

Bitcoins may or may not have value, but the principle is solid. I use my computers to heat in the winter. I overclock them higher, and fold to generate heat. Winter is a good time to install the incandescent lamps you replaced with CFLs. On the CFL box, they didn't tell you incandescents were free to run in the winter, did they? ;^)
lxskllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #13
Minerva
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 2,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
Bitcoins may or may not have value, but the principle is solid. I use my computers to heat in the winter. I overclock them higher, and fold to generate heat. Winter is a good time to install the incandescent lamps you replaced with CFLs. On the CFL box, they didn't tell you incandescents were free to run in the winter, did they? ;^)
I'd rather plug toasters in to heat with then mine for shit coins.
Minerva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #14
lxskllr
Lifer
 
lxskllr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 38,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
I'd rather plug toasters in to heat with then mine for shit coins.

That's silly. The FSF takes bitcoins. Mine coins, and donate to them. The important thing is you're making heat, and accomplishing something else in the process.
lxskllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #15
JEDI
Lifer
 
JEDI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Somewhere between hare . . . . . & their
Posts: 20,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
A watt is a watt. A 1500 watt heater provides the same amount of heat as any other 1500 watt heater. However, an infrared heater can more easily be directed toward the occupants, heating them a little more without heating the room as much & can make it seem as if it's warmer (well, if there's only one occupant.) Then again, you can get a 1500 watt heat gun, or a blow dryer, and just aim it at yourself - same effect. But, over time, either will provide the same amount of heat to the room. Then again, the infrared heater, if aimed toward the wall, will heat the wall a little warmer than it otherwise would have been. Heat transfer is related to the difference in temperature, so a warmer wall is going to radiate more heat to the outside than a cooler wall.

That said, I'd then base my decision on which unit is safest to operate. Does it have a tip-over switch? Does it have exposed elements that are hot enough to set a piece of paper on fire (or accumulated dust)?
wait... a hair dryer is as efficient as a space heater?
those things are dirt cheap at walmart
__________________
Quote:
Irony: The new Virgin Mary aborted the 2nd coming of Christ in 2000
Happy 50th anniversay of JFK's assassination: I was there & saw the other Lone Gunmen on the Grassy Knoll. Elvis!!
-He got away with the kill but Marilyn Monroe got her revenge in a murder/suicide.
Proof God exists: https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...06913729_n.png I blame Bush!
JEDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #16
Mark R
Diamond Member
 
Mark R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 8,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
On the CFL box, they didn't tell you incandescents were free to run in the winter, did they? ;^)
You forget that the heat generated from incandescent bulbs is not well suited for domestic heating. It's not quite correct to say that "1 W of heat is the same as another 1 W of heat".

Home heating is intended to ensure comfort at occupation level (i.e. near the ground). However, ceilings are high, and hot air tends to stratify at ceiling level due to gravity. As most lighting is elevated, this merely heats the elevated air, which worsens the stratification trapping heat at high level and away from the occupants.

Most central heating (and portable heating) is operated at ground level, by placing the heat source at low level, it has an anti-stratification effect, which heats the whole room, providing comfort at low level, and avoids wastefully overheating at high level (this is especially important in upper floor rooms, under the roof, where the overwhelming majority of heat is lost).
Further, most central heating is not electrical resistance based, but instead uses a much cheaper fuel (such as NG/propane, heat pumping, or discounted-price electricity).

The use of full-cost electricity to power incandescent lamps, is a very expensive way to produce heat. The only way in which it is "free" heat is if your primary source of heat is electrical space heaters (and even then, you have the major disadvantage and inefficiency of thermal stratification).
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #17
lxskllr
Lifer
 
lxskllr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 38,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
You forget that the heat generated from incandescent bulbs is not well suited for domestic heating. It's not quite correct to say that "1 W of heat is the same as another 1 W of heat".

Home heating is intended to ensure comfort at occupation level (i.e. near the ground). However, ceilings are high, and hot air tends to stratify at ceiling level due to gravity. As most lighting is elevated, this merely heats the elevated air, which worsens the stratification trapping heat at high level and away from the occupants.
All heat goes up. You help mitigate that by using ceiling fans.
lxskllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #18
JEDI
Lifer
 
JEDI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Somewhere between hare . . . . . & their
Posts: 20,133
Default

what if u put the lamp on the floor?

would fifteen 100 watt lamps = one 1500w space heater?
(in terms of heat given out and efficiency?)
__________________
Quote:
Irony: The new Virgin Mary aborted the 2nd coming of Christ in 2000
Happy 50th anniversay of JFK's assassination: I was there & saw the other Lone Gunmen on the Grassy Knoll. Elvis!!
-He got away with the kill but Marilyn Monroe got her revenge in a murder/suicide.
Proof God exists: https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...06913729_n.png I blame Bush!
JEDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #19
lxskllr
Lifer
 
lxskllr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 38,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEDI View Post
what if u put the lamp on the floor?

would fifteen 100 watt lamps = one 1500w space heater?
(in terms of heat given out and efficiency?)

Pretty close to it. You'd lose some heat from light escaping, but it should be minimal.
lxskllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #20
SunnyD
Belgian Waffler
 
SunnyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Waffle House
Posts: 31,386
Default

Ceramic heaters are more efficient in terms of energy. They use less electricity as they heat up. They're also less likely to catch fire, though if used properly it shouldn't matter.

For what its worth, my dad originally designed and manufactured the temperature controller for the first Pelonis ceramic disk heaters about 20 years ago.
__________________
It's a long story... and trust me, no, you really don't have time.
Need VPN? Cheap hosting? I can do that.
SunnyD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:18 PM   #21
imot
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8
Default

If I'd want to be pedantic, I'd say: "bad question", because ceramic heaters is a subcategory of space heaters
Anyway this heater you linked there won't do it really well. It will be weak and loud.
The DeLonghi EW7707CB oil-filled portable radiator isn't much more expensive and you will appreciate the thermostat when receiving heating bills. It will turn the unit off completely when target temperature is reached and turn it on again when it starts to drop to heat it back.
Those few extra bucks you pay by not buying the cheapest one will return as investment on reduced heating costs.
imot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:26 PM   #22
Red Squirrel
Lifer
 
Red Squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 28,330
Default

Personally I'm a fan of the oil filled space heaters. There are no moving parts and no exposed elements. They take longer to heat up though. I have one under my desk. When I'm at the computer and I'm a bit cold I turn it on, rather than raise the heat in the whole house.
__________________
~Red Squirrel~
486dx2 @66Mhz turbo, 8MB ram, 512MB HDD, sound blaster 16 + 2x cdrom, Trident 1MB video card @ 640*480, 56k high speed modem.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:36 PM   #23
IGBT
Lifer
 
IGBT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 16,826
Default

costco sells a ceramic radiator heater. Looks like a oil heater but uses parallel ceramic radiators. Has a 750/1500 watt modes.
__________________
"Under my plan, energy prices would naturally skyrocket" - Barrack Hussein Obama.
gas was $1.84 a gallon prior to obama inauguration. The price of ALL goods and services (food) are tied to the price of transportation energy.
IGBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #24
micrometers
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,473
Default

What about just building a killer gaming rig with a 500 watt power supply, fastest NVIDIA SLI graphics card, and liquid cooling, over clocked to 30% above spec...?

You know you want to. It would keep your room quite warm.
micrometers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:04 AM   #25
the DRIZZLE
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,893
Default

I'd also recommend one of the oil filled heaters. I wouldn't get the ceramic because it's so directional and the little fan ones are annoying because they are constantly cycling on and off. The oil filed heater will keep the room more even and you won't notice it cycling all the time.
the DRIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.