· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
avp2306

Default Win 7 Folder close to 30 GB - help reduce size

Hi all,

I've used WinDirStat to track down the culprits and found that the following 2 folders take up the most space.

CWindows\Installer = 7.9GB
CWindows\winsxs = 6.9GB

I've done some reading on both folders and understand the need for both. I've also came to know that both folders can contain orphaned files which contribute to bloated size.

I tried using MsiZap.exe (G!) to help with the Installer folder but it tells me that there's nothing to clean up.

How can I reduce the size of these folders, any utilities out there that would safely removed unneeded files?

Thanks!

nycTrans.it

http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...om.nyctrans.it
Old 11-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
fastman
Golden Member

I'll have to watch this thread for some intel myself!

I just did a HTPC built and installed Win7 Ultimate on a 32G ssd. I was astonished when I saw the available space left, less than 5G's. I know formatting will lessen it, but COME-ON, a 20G install for Win7?

I too looked around and saw the large "Windows\winsxs = 6.9GB" file

I can do another install no problem, but what can I cut to lessen the load?

3570K CPU with CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Samsung 830 256Gb, WD Black 2Tb | XFX7970 Black | 16Gb of Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US | Seasonic X650 | X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | LG Blu-Ray Burner, Samsung DVD-DL Burner | Fractal R3 Case with extra 120mm and 140mm fans |

3dmark score 5859 PCMarks with AMD Radeon HD 7970(1x) and Intel Core i5-3570K Processor
3DMarks Score P8583 3DMarks, Graphics Score 8714, Physics Score 8334, Combined Score 8041
Old 11-18-2011, 04:02 AM   #3
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

As far as I know there's nothing you can do about winsxs after the fact. If someone has developed a way, I haven't heard about it. It contains library dependencies that are needed for all of your software to run.
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
Old 11-18-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
corkyg
Peripherals

What's the big deal about 30GB? That can fit on a thumb drive. With today's voluminous HDDs, 30GB is almost insignificant.

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
Old 11-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
fastman
Golden Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkyg View Post
What's the big deal about 30GB? That can fit on a thumb drive. With today's voluminous HDDs, 30GB is almost insignificant.
As I stated above, I started with a 32GB SSD after format and install of Win7 I have little left (3.87GB) and was looking to see if there was a solution. You got a larger one laying around that you'd like to kick down I'll PM you my address.

3570K CPU with CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Samsung 830 256Gb, WD Black 2Tb | XFX7970 Black | 16Gb of Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US | Seasonic X650 | X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | LG Blu-Ray Burner, Samsung DVD-DL Burner | Fractal R3 Case with extra 120mm and 140mm fans |

3dmark score 5859 PCMarks with AMD Radeon HD 7970(1x) and Intel Core i5-3570K Processor
3DMarks Score P8583 3DMarks, Graphics Score 8714, Physics Score 8334, Combined Score 8041
Old 11-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
masteryoda34
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avp2306 View Post
How can I reduce the size of these folders, any utilities out there that would safely removed unneeded files?
Yeah, Linux.

OK sarcasm aside, Windows stores different versions of libraries in winsxs to avoid compatibility issues. It just grows over time, and as far as I know there isn't anything you can do about it other than to periodically reformat.

Have any other disks available in the system? You could try moving the winsxs folder to another drive and making a junction point to it on the C: drive. Windows might not like that though, not sure.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
MrChad
Lifer

Control Panel / Performance Information and Tools / Open Disk Cleanup. Click the clean system files button and see what options it presents.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
JackMDS
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Using 32GB for C: \ is a mistake.

40GB should be the minimum for real functional computer.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
corkyg
Peripherals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMDS View Post
So mote it be! Spot on!

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
Old 11-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
VirtualLarry
Lifer

I bought some 30GB SSDs. In order for them to be big enough for Win7 64-bit, I set them up in a RAID-0, so I would have 60GB to work with.

Edit:
In an elevated command prompt, type "powercfg -h off" to disable hibernation and delete hiberfil.sys.
"DON'T BUY INTEL, they will send secret signals down the internet, which
will considerably slow down your computer". - SOFTengCOMPelec

Last edited by VirtualLarry; 11-18-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
Kenmitch
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avp2306 View Post
Hi all,

I've used WinDirStat to track down the culprits and found that the following 2 folders take up the most space.

CWindows\Installer = 7.9GB
CWindows\winsxs = 6.9GB

I've done some reading on both folders and understand the need for both. I've also came to know that both folders can contain orphaned files which contribute to bloated size.

I tried using MsiZap.exe (G!) to help with the Installer folder but it tells me that there's nothing to clean up.

Thanks!
Not sure if a whole lot can be done after the fact. But it does look like maybe a work around is possible for the Windows\Installer folder. I didn't try it as I seem to have no need so far.

http://www.pagestart.com/windowsinstallerfolder.html

I did a fresh install on my main rig in mid August when I got my 64gb C300 but did practice some space management(see below response) I'm not into gaming anymore so I just have my OS, drivers, apps I need installed on my SSD.

Here's my stats for my C: drive 18.2gb's used 41.1gb's available
CWindows\Installer = 805mb's
CWindows\winsxs = 6.41gb's
Old 11-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #12
Vic Vega
Diamond Member

What the heck do you people have eating up all that space in your Windows directory? My Win 7 Enterprise 64 install is over a year old and I'm only using 19GB...
Old 11-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #13
Dahak
Platinum Member

you could also try these instructions from here
http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/ar...ce-pack-1.aspx

dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded

I have done it on my main machine but have not encountered any issues BUT i cannot say that you might

Procrastination is the art of keeping up with last week.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #14
hclarkjr
Lifer

try this http://www.rt7lite.com/ it might help you do what you want to do.
Cooler master HAF932, Dell 2408WFP, Gigabyte P67A-UD4 B3 REV. 1.1, Intel core I7 2600K, XIGMATEK SD-1283 Gaia, Intel X25-M G2 160GB,16gb G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 1600mhz,Crossfired Radeon HD6950, Pioneer BDR-205, Samsung SH-S243N 24X DVD-RW, western digital black 2TB,Antec TPQ-850 850W , windows 8.1 pro X64
Old 11-26-2011, 01:59 AM   #15
lamedude

The Winsxs real folder size is less than reported. It uses hardlinks but explorer counts them as if they were a seperate file.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:06 AM   #16
Red Squirrel
Lifer

Holy crap, did not realize win7 was that bloated. My Windows XP folder is slightly under 4GB. What does 7 do that XP does not, which requires 10x (literally) more space? It's insane how MS bloats their OSes more and more after each release.

I guess as long as it works well is what counts, but holy crap, they could at least try to not hog space like it was going out of style. Makes me reconsider getting a SSD for my next build, given I'll most likely go with windows 7.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #17
lxskllr
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Holy crap, did not realize win7 was that bloated. My Windows XP folder is slightly under 4GB. What does 7 do that XP does not, which requires 10x (literally) more space? It's insane how MS bloats their OSes more and more after each release.

I guess as long as it works well is what counts, but holy crap, they could at least try to not hog space like it was going out of style. Makes me reconsider getting a SSD for my next build, given I'll most likely go with windows 7.

There's 10 years of compatibility to maintain, and new hardware to support. Should it be that big? I dunno, but it's highly plausible. Win3.1 came on a handful of floppies. Why the hell was XP so big, and requiring a CD? ;^)
Old 11-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #18
abaez
Diamond Member

My windows folder is only 17gb.. I use an SSD too so not sure why yours is so big.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #19
Lotheron
Platinum Member

The WinSXS folder is not actually as big as Explorer is reporting. The reason being is because this folder is full of hardlinks of files that are in other folders and as such are being counted more than once. It's been this way since Vista and it would be a good idea for Microsoft to fix that.

That being said, do not ever delete files from that folder because doing so will ruin your system since as those files ARE hardlinks, you're deleting the real file
Old 11-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #20
corkyg
Peripherals

OK - you can also put your page file on a different drive, turn off System Restore and all Shadow Copies, and don't use AERO. Sounds like a candidate for Linux.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:48 PM   #21
winoutreach5

Hi AVP2306,

Although the below is not advised nor is it recommended, there are a few things one can do in an effort to reduce the disk footprint of Windows 7.

Some of these suggestions have been mentioned on this forum already, however, should you be interested, I have included additional resources at the bottom of this reply.

As you will see in the second reference link, Debbie, a Microsoft Answers Support Engineer, does state, “Changing permissions on or compressing the WinSxS folder can cause problems when installing an OS hotfix and installation/un-installation of any Win32 assemblies.” Please keep that in mind when making any unsupported alterations to your Windows 7 system configuration.

Reducing the Disk Footprint for Windows 7

"Windows 7 - How do I cleanup winsxs folder to free up space on SSD drives?"

"I want to delete the hiberfil.sys to save some disk space."

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team -- IT Pro
Old 12-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #22
imagoon
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post

Its not.

"Installer" has copies of all of the MSI's that your installed so "add/remove programs" works. IE not Windows bloat. Winsxs is a bunch of hardlinks that are misreported by explorer, but it does the same thing the lib management does on linux and maintains multiple versions of the files if needed. The actual "Windows 7" binaries and data as released from MS is about 2.2GB.

If you never bother to clean up things like patches then it grows [like the yum and apt stores], install tons of programs, it grows. MS would do so much better with the [stupid] bloat comments if they dumped all the crap in the user folder like Linux does.

XP can bloat like this also because it does the same things [patches and MSIs in system32 etc].
Old 01-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #23
Gs dewd

I personally don't go under 160 gb for my system drive.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #24
billegge

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMDS View Post
2 Errors in this,
  1. We are talking about Windows, not "a computer".
  2. It makes no sense for an OS to use more resources than the programs it is intended to run.

Please don't resurrect old threads
-Thanks
ViRGE

Last edited by ViRGE; 09-20-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Closed Thread