· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 10-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
Texashiker
Lifer

Default What happened to the PC gaming industry?

1990s:
Doom
Quake, quakeworld, quake team fortress
Warcraft II
C&C Gold (and the DOS version)
C&C Red Alert
Duke Nukem
Diablo & Diablo II
Half-Life
Team Fortress Classic
Counter-Strike
Fallout
Too many good games to list

2000s
Serious Sam
Counter-Strike Source
Half-Life 2
Doom 3 (for those of you that liked it)
Painkiller
Team Fortress 2
Quake 4
Left 4 Dead 1 & 2
Fallout 3
Metro2033
World of warcraft
And other good games not listed

2010s
Fallout New Vegas
Brink
Dead Island
Homefront
Duke Nukem Forever
Bullet Storm
Rage

What happened to the PC gaming market? We went from the 1990s and early 2000s where there were lots of good games hitting the market, to it seems that every-other game is overhyped or a flop.

From the games I have seen since 2010, Fallout New Vegas has to be one of the best.

Brink turned out to be overhyped
Homefront was a flop
Duke Nukem Forever,,,, well, I do not know what to say about that one
Rage reviews are not coming back too good

Has the PC gaming industry lost its ability to make anything new, or to come up with new ideas?

Its like the console kiddies from the 1990s are grown up, making games and the games are crap.

Or, are PC developers making games more towards the console fan club?
Sometimes Texashiker is almost reasonable, and at least capable of rational discussion, and other times he appears to have the intellect of a Tickle-Me-Elmo doll whose on/off switch was set to "Retard."

Last edited by Texashiker; 10-24-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Texashiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
Modelworks
Lifer

Creativity stagnates every so many years, then you will get a boom of new stuff, then another dry spell. It happens in everything creative from music, movies, writing, games.
Modelworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
J-Money

You also comparing 10 years worth of games to less than 2 years worth. SC2 also should be on the 2010 list.

Wait and see how BF3, SW:TOR, Diablo 3, Whatever "Titan" is from Blizzard, ME3, Guild Wars 2 all do. All look to be promising at least.

I'm sure in 2020 you'll look at 2010s list and think "Not too bad".

Also a big change is the amount of information available about each game that's released. Now-a-days especially it seems people have an opinion on the quality of a game even if they've never played it. In the 90s you had to actually play it to have an opinion for the most part.
J-Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
M0RPH
Diamond Member

1) PC gaming too difficult for most people, they don't know anything about video cards, playing with kb/mouse harder for most ppl, installing games is harder, etc
2) As result of (1), there's a lot more console gamers... smart money is to develop for consoles
3) Pirating much easier to prevent with consoles
M0RPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
slag
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0RPH View Post
1) PC gaming too difficult for most people, they don't know anything about video cards, playing with kb/mouse harder for most ppl, installing games is harder, etc
2) As result of (1), there's a lot more console gamers... smart money is to develop for consoles
3) Pirating much easier to prevent with consoles
I think most console games are hyped more (Modern Warfare 3), new releases on just about anything, whereas pc games are more talked about internally and not on TV as much. In addition, dad doesn't want his son or daughter loading up games on the family computer either, so he buys an Xbox or PS3 or Wii for the kids to play and they just use them instead. No OS upgrading, video card upgrading (like you said), or anything, just plug it in, set up your gamer tag, and go.
Till the pleasant pheasant plucker comes.
slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
FuryofFive
Golden Member

Metro came out in 2010
and there are alot of good games that come out. this back in the day crap is quite the stupid. We all like to think our old games are superior to others. we all like to think we all ohhh soo much fun playing games when we were younger. its quite a silly argument.
there are plenty of games that game out in the last 2 years that were pretty good. but i digress

**sorry im at work, i wrote quick and exactly what came to mind as it came in
PSN - FuryofFive | XBL - FuryVids |Wii - 2803-9408-5796-2329|Steam-Furyoffive
FuryofFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
HardcoreRobot
Lifer

you are surprised more good games come out in a 10 year span versus a 2 year span? mind-boggling...
HardcoreRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #8
Texashiker
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreRobot View Post
you are surprised more good games come out in a 10 year span versus a 2 year span? mind-boggling...
So no big titles have been released in 2010 and 2011?

Pick 5 of the most hyped games of 1998 and 1999 and compare them to 5 hyped games of 2010 and 2011, which ones do you think are better quality games?

Take the past 5 years if you want, 2011 - 2006 and compare the games released in that time period to 1995 - 2000.

In my opinion, there is been a downturn in the overall quality of PC games in the past 5 years. There are a few exceptions such as the fallout series and left 4 dead series. But where are the half-life quality games on the early 21st century.
Sometimes Texashiker is almost reasonable, and at least capable of rational discussion, and other times he appears to have the intellect of a Tickle-Me-Elmo doll whose on/off switch was set to "Retard."

Last edited by Texashiker; 10-24-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
FuryofFive
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texashiker View Post
So no big titles have been released in 2010 and 2011?

Pick 5 of the most hyped games of 1998 and 1999 and compare them to 5 hyped games of 2010 and 2011, which ones do you think are better quality games?

Take the past 5 years if you want, 2011 - 2006 and compare the games released in that time period to 1995 - 2000.

In my opinion, there is been a downturn in the overall quality of PC games in the past 5 years. There are a few exceptions such as the fallout series and left 4 dead series. But where are the half-life quality games on the early 21st century.
i cant do it now, but i could possibly do it later when i have some free time.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
Texashiker
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuryofFive View Post
i cant do it now, but i could possibly do it later when i have some free time.
In other words, you do not know off the top of your head. You will have to go to wikipedia and read through the games released during a certain time period so you can post something?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #11
darkewaffle
Diamond Member

Damn your threads suck. Are you really comparing 1990-1999, 2000-2009, and 2010-2011? Brilliant! 2011 isn't even over for god's sake. Which is a big deal considering this year should still yield Skyrim, BF3, and SWTOR to say the least.

And there's awesome games every year and shitty games every year. Same for every entertainment medium.

lol and I love how you list "Doom 3 (for those of you that like it)", the hell? And WoW? Jesus.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #12
FuryofFive
Golden Member

Quote:
In other words, you do not know off the top of your head. You will have to go to wikipedia and read through the games released during a certain time period so you can post something?
i will have to check the dates to make sure none are 2009. so calm down. afraid the evidence might disprove you?

and you mean search wikipedia like you? im pretty sure you looked them up before posting this stupid thread
Old 10-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #13
Texashiker
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkewaffle View Post
Damn your threads suck. <snip>

lol and I love how you list "Doom 3 (for those of you that like it)", the hell? And WoW? Jesus.
Do you have anything worthwhile to contribute?

If you do not like my threads, then please stay out of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuryofFive View Post
afraid the evidence might disprove you?
Nope.

There are some exceptions, but I think the "overall" quality of games in the past 5+ years has gone downhill.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #14
FuryofFive
Golden Member

Quote:

Nope.

There are some exceptions, but I think the "overall" quality of games in the past 5+ years has gone downhill.
Strictly opinion of course

not enough time in the 2010 decade has passed to name off enough
Old 10-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #15
Borealis7
Platinum Member

OP, you mostly listed shooters in recent years (2000-today), there have been dozens of great RPGs, RTSs, TBSs and MMOs etc'.
dont limit yourself to playing FPSs, they'll surely disappoint you. i know i've stopped playing shooters altogether (except for borderlands and portal, but they were unique) and i'm enjoying PC games as much as i ever did.

Rig:
i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz / Noctua NH-C14 | GA-Z77X-D3H | ZOTAC GTX680 | 8GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill | Samsung S23A700D 120Hz | SeaSonic 650W PSU
Borealis7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #16
darkewaffle
Diamond Member

Quote:
Do you have anything worthwhile to contribute?

If you do not like my threads, then please stay out of them.
Point being, I'm assuming here because you manage to propose zero criteria for why these games are listed, why would you list anything but universally acclaimed titles? In that sense, Doom 3 does not belong, WoW probably does not belong, Painkiller does not belong, Quake 4 does not belong, and Metro 2033 wasn't even released in 2009 and still probably doesn't even belong.

Further, you manage to cherrypick the titles you deem "best" (again assuming here) from the previous two decades, and yet take the shotgun approach for your "2010s"? You can't honestly believe there were no bad high profile games from the last two decades. Or compare such incompatible lists, if you want the best of the "2010s" then you're really lacking.

You took Metro for the 2009s, so I'll take Dragon Age for 2010 (it was if you round up anyway). The Witcher 2, BFBC2, Starcraft 2, Portal 2, and one might include Deus Ex in there as well, I can't say. And you can probably count at least one of, or maybe both, of Skyrim/BF3 on there too. In two years, thats 5/6/7 pretty stellar games.

Last edited by darkewaffle; 10-24-2011 at 09:57 AM.
darkewaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #17
Texashiker
Lifer

Quote:
Point being, I'm assuming here because you manage to propose zero criteria for why these games are listed
zero criteria? How about random games from little know to big titles.

Quote:
And you can probably at least one of, or maybe both, of Skyrim/BF3 on there too. In two years, thats 5/6/7 pretty stellar games.
Skyrim and BF3 have not been released yet, so they can not be included.

BF3 is released tomorrow, wait for a week or 2 for reviews to come in, and then we will see if it lives up to the hype.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Besides your criticism of my post, do you have anything to contribute?

Do you remember playing Diablo for the first time? How about Warcraft II, Doom, Half-life,,,,?

When was the last time an introduction scene made you say "wow", like half-life did with so many people. The last game that made me say "cool" or "wow" was the left 4 dead series.

When was the last time you liked a game so much you did not want to put it down?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #18
s44
Diamond Member

Maybe it's not the industry, but you, in that you started only playing silly shooters. (DNF, seriously?)

We're one day from the most anticipated PC shooter in ages, two months from the first mega-MMO since WoW, a year since ME2 cleaned up all the GOTY awards...
s44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #19
Texashiker
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post
We're one day from the most anticipated PC shooter in ages
Rage and Dead Island have already been released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post
Maybe it's not the industry, but you, in that you started only playing silly shooters. (DNF, seriously?)
You just lost all credibility.

Those "silly shooters" set the foundation for todays games.

Last edited by Texashiker; 10-24-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #20
Dankk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Damn your threads suck.
Agreed.

Texashiker, what's the point of your little list of games that you made? I'm not sure I understand. You listed a bunch of awesome games from the 90's and 00's, and for the 10's, you just listed a handful of really mediocre games. There are plenty of great games that have come out this past couple years. Where's The Witcher 2? Where's Portal 2? Where's Deus Ex: HR? Space Marine? Crysis 2? Red Orchestra 2? Battlefield 3? Good PC games are still being made, stop pretending otherwise just so you can make a big issue out of it.

Steam
Dankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #21
M0RPH
Diamond Member

OP may not have presented the case well, but we all understand what he's saying and can anyone deny that PC gaming is dying?

Even the biggest PC game this year, BF3, at its heart is still a console port, just with more effort put in to optimize/customize it for PC.
M0RPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #22
terry107

Quote:
Rage and Dead Island have already been released.
Stop being obtuse, you know what he meant.

As others have said, is this thread about pc gaming as a whole or pc first person/action gaming? The Witcher 2 has kept me engaged since release and I've replayed it numerous times to see the different paths, yet this does not appear on your list.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #23
Texashiker
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessThanDan View Post
Texashiker, what's the point of your little list of games that you made? I'm not sure I understand. You listed a bunch of awesome games from the 90's and 00's, and for the 10's, you just listed a handful of really mediocre games.
Because I feel the majority of the games being made these days are "mediocre".

Those games I listed were some of the most hyped games of the past couple of years - Rage, DNF, Homefront, Brink,,,,,,. DNF was one of the most hyped games of the past decade, and go look at the reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessThanDan View Post
Good PC games are still being made, stop pretending otherwise just so you can make a big issue out of it.
I am not pretending anything, there are good games being made, but I feel the number of bad games outnumber the good games.

Battlefield 3 has not been released yet, so it can not be listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry107 View Post
Stop being obtuse, you know what he meant.
No, I do not know what he meant.

Just because he is looking forward to BF3, does not mean "everyone" is.

Last edited by Texashiker; 10-24-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #24
darkewaffle
Diamond Member

Quote:
zero criteria? How about random games from little know to big titles.
Seriously? What exactly is 'little known' about -any- game mentioned thus far?

And random? You must be kidding. You quite clearly picked the games you thought were the most memorable and the greatest from the last 20 years and then tried to compare them to an assortment of games from the last 18 months that I can only assume disappointed you, and you're trying to make what point? You can't have it both ways. Either you compare the best to the best, or you compare the good and the bad with the good and the bad.

Speaking as though there were no bad, or rather disappointing, big games from the last twenty years is ludicrous. Daikatana, Spore, numerous faltering MMOs and, especially, consistently lackluster "big" franchise titles beg to differ.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #25
gothamhunter
Diamond Member

10 years of games compared to almost 2 years of games where a lot of the actually very excellent games from those 2 years aren't listed?

Texas, Texas, Texas...

My WTB thread

My WTS thread
gothamhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diablo, doom, quake, steam