· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 09-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
heynow85
Banned

Exclamation Herman Miller Aeron chairs - sticker shock

At the design firm I work at, everyone has one of these Aeron chairs. It's easily the best office chair I've used and I was looking to replace my el-cheapo chair I have at home with one of these.

Of course, silly me for not being completely aware of the pricing for these chairs. They are nearly $1,000 new for a fully customizable one.

I guess I'll have to buy used to get a decent price, or if any of you use anything comparable or better, post your suggestions!

If it matters for the suggestions, I'm a short person, slim to average build.

Last edited by heynow85; 09-30-2011 at 12:34 PM.
heynow85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Karstein

I would recommend checking this site out: http://www.thehumansolution.com/

The Raynor Ergohuman chairs are supposed to be good, but I don't own one. I did buy a Raynor Evo, though, which is great for posture and comfortable for long periods of time.
Karstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
Redshirt 24

If memory serves Raynor also makes/markets the Realspace PRO line of chairs through OfficeMax/Office Depot, perhaps most particularly the Realspace PRO 9000. Probably not as good as the Ergohuman, but noticeably less expensive.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:45 AM   #4
smamic82

I'm really thinking about getting this one...

at Staples.

Anyone here have seated experience in this chair?
smamic82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
vbuggy
Golden Member

I use an Embody at home. Slightly less shitty than the Aeron, but creakier.
vbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
oogabooga
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smamic82 View Post
I'm really thinking about getting this one...

at Staples.

Anyone here have seated experience in this chair?
I'm pretty sure I have that exact chair actually.

My thoughts on it:
- It's wide on the bottom which is kinda nice,
- The armrests are decently adjustable, you can set them in/out as well as up/down.
- The headrest is adjustable.
- The lowerback support thing is adjustable via a screw.
- Adjustments for up/down, tilt on the chair, and then a lever to lock leaning in the chair.

- the armrest adjustment that determines how close/far from the seat it is never stays in place for me, I have to tighten it down every few days. This is probably defective on mine, but worth noting I guess
- The back support thing isn't all that great. I either don't notice it, or it's way to far forward for comfort.
- The headrest is almost never used with how I sit in my chair, if I lean back it's nice, if I don't it's useless, and I rarely lean back.

Overall it's a pretty comfortable chair. It's not as nice as an Aeron, or other super crazy ergonomic chair, but it was better than say the standard black office chair.

The price on the website is also cheaper than I got mine for I think. When I bought it was 250, and I had a coupon that knocked my price with tax down to around 190 I think. I think it wasn't worth the price I paid for, but certainly I don't think it's a bad chair and was pretty happy with it.
oogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
Hmongkeysauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by oogabooga View Post
I'm pretty sure I have that exact chair actually.

My thoughts on it:
- It's wide on the bottom which is kinda nice,
- The armrests are decently adjustable, you can set them in/out as well as up/down.
- The headrest is adjustable.
- The lowerback support thing is adjustable via a screw.
- Adjustments for up/down, tilt on the chair, and then a lever to lock leaning in the chair.

- the armrest adjustment that determines how close/far from the seat it is never stays in place for me, I have to tighten it down every few days. This is probably defective on mine, but worth noting I guess
- The back support thing isn't all that great. I either don't notice it, or it's way to far forward for comfort.
- The headrest is almost never used with how I sit in my chair, if I lean back it's nice, if I don't it's useless, and I rarely lean back.

Overall it's a pretty comfortable chair. It's not as nice as an Aeron, or other super crazy ergonomic chair, but it was better than say the standard black office chair.

The price on the website is also cheaper than I got mine for I think. When I bought it was 250, and I had a coupon that knocked my price with tax down to around 190 I think. I think it wasn't worth the price I paid for, but certainly I don't think it's a bad chair and was pretty happy with it.
Couldn't agree more. Even at $150, I'd say that is a lot for the chair. I somehow got it down to ~$90 when I bought mine and that is how much I think it's worth.
Hmongkeysauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #8
Phynaz
Diamond Member

I've had one for 10 years. Just a couple of weeks ago when I had the opportunity to get them for a couple of hundred off, I bought one for both my wife and son.

You get what you pay for.
I saw good resolutions pics of the so called lunar module, heck, that s quite a piece of garbage with badly jointed metalic and litteraly hammered plates, seriously, you think that this piece of metalic junk actualy landed on the moon..??
Phynaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #9
nitromullet
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynow85 View Post
I guess I'll have to buy used to get a decent price, or if any of you use anything comparable or better, post your suggestions!

If it matters for the suggestions, I'm a short person, slim to average build.
If you find one used, make sure it's the same size as the one you like at your office. There are three different sizes - A, B, and C (C is the largest). The size of the Aeron will make a huge difference in how well it fits you.

You can identify what size your chair is by running your hand underneath the lip of the frame at the top of the backrest. You will find braille-like bumps in the plastic that correspond to the size of the chair 1 bump = A, 2 = B, and 3 = C.
Shared I/O - Deck Legend Blue | Logitech G500s | NEC PA271W
Console - Xbox 360 Elite
nitromullet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
ViviTheMage
Lifer

Herman Miller Aeron are THE BEST. Have one at work, will pick one up on craiglist if I can.

vivi's blog

238-0-0
ViviTheMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #11
Ika
Lifer

I was recently looking for a new mesh office chair at work, and the Aeron was the one "sanctioned" by HR. I went in to try out the chair and my HR rep mentioned that they just got in two other types of mesh chairs that they hadn't put on their website yet. I tried one of them and oh-my-god it was comfortable, far far more comfy than the IMO average-comfort Aeron. Turns out it was the Raynor Ergohuman, listed on their website for $580 (model:ME8ERGLO). There are some other options which bring up the price a bit, and the armrests seem to be the major niggle about this chair, but otherwise it seems like a solid chair for the price.

Formerly known as Aflac
heat
Ika is offline   Reply With Quote