· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 09-26-2011, 06:55 AM   #1
OBLAMA2009
Diamond Member

Default do micro usb ports wear out?

do the micro usb ports bend or wear out? i noticed my car charger has become very sensitive, if you move the usb plug a little but it will disconnect. my home charger is still fine. im wondering it i might have damaged my car charger or if the port on my phone got bent/loosened.

also, could you plug a keyboard, hub or other peripheral into a droid phone micro usb port?
OBLAMA2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Dulanic
Diamond Member

Different cords are created to different variances. Cheap cords can be very loose and easy to have bad connections. I am not a fan of the microUSB connector at all and think the miniUSB connector had a much better fit. However, it is what it is and I haven't had any major issues myself and I am guessing it would be possible for the connectors to get loose, but I think it's a combination of both.

My car charger is very loose, it was a $2 cord from china off ebay. My kindle charging cord, which is also microUSB, works fantastic. I love one thing about microUSB and that is that has become very universal.

As for your 2nd question... no idea. Never tried or researched. However, it looks like yes you can. I knew HC tablets supported keyboards, wasn't sure about GB.

http://gigaom.com/mobile/how-to-add-...android-phone/

Last edited by Dulanic; 09-26-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Dulanic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
OBLAMA2009
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulanic View Post
Different cords are created to different variances. Cheap cords can be very loose and easy to have bad connections. I am not a fan of the microUSB connector at all and think the miniUSB connector had a much better fit. However, it is what it is and I haven't had any major issues myself and I am guessing it would be possible for the connectors to get loose, but I think it's a combination of both.

My car charger is very loose, it was a $2 cord from china off ebay. My kindle charging cord, which is also microUSB, works fantastic. I love one thing about microUSB and that is that has become very universal.

As for your 2nd question... no idea. Never tried or researched. However, it looks like yes you can. I knew HC tablets supported keyboards, wasn't sure about GB.

http://gigaom.com/mobile/how-to-add-...android-phone/
micro usb is what is used for droid and current blackberrys right? that is what im trying to refer to
OBLAMA2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
Dulanic
Diamond Member

I assume both of those are microusb yes. Most devices are microUSB B.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Min...cro_connectors
Dulanic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
zerocool84
Lifer

It's almost always the connection on the cord that messes up and makes it hard to charge, usually not the port in the phone. Try another cord to see.
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
McWatt

One of the reasons for the move to micro was to make the point of common failure move from the port (as was the case with mini-usb) to the cable, which is more easily replaced. Micro is also designed to last through 10x as many cycles.

However, I never had any of my dozens of mini-usb cables or ports break and I've had 1/3 of my ~10 microusb cables stop working well or at all (average age = 1 year). Also, it's harder to plug micro-usb in without looking.
McWatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
jiffylube1024
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool84 View Post
It's almost always the connection on the cord that messes up and makes it hard to charge, usually not the port in the phone. Try another cord to see.

Seconded. Cheap cords have smaller connectors that allow wiggling. My old non-smart phone LG phone had a micro USB connector and the stock charger that came with it wouldn't even make a proper connection.

The USB cable that comes with your phone is usually high quality and doesn't move around.

Another micro USB cable that I've found works FANTASTIC is the Amazon Kindle charger cable. I bought a couple off eBay for <$5 each. They have a nice 'bulky' micro USB connector that doesn't wiggle around. Micro USB chargers made for blackberries are high quality as well.

These are some good ones:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Data-Cable-Mi...item4cfa62b6eb

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Micro-USB-Dat...item3a6921d13c

Last edited by jiffylube1024; 09-26-2011 at 10:23 AM.
jiffylube1024 is offline   Reply With Quote