Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Health and Fitness

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
cuppkake
Member
 
cuppkake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In your dreams
Posts: 73
Default Crying at the drop of a hat & always tired

I hope this is the right place to post this. And this isn't going to be one of those woes me posts I see so often in some of the other places, I am looking for genuine insight and help.

I am 26 years old. Have had a history of mild depression in the past, have been on small doses of anti-depressants most of my life. ~a year ago I stopped taking my meds (due to financial reasons) and honestly am alright not taking them-do not feel at all depressed. I exercise, have many hobbies, spend a lot of time outside, etc. Not having any symptoms of depression that I have had in the past.

Yet, I find that I am seriously tired a lot of the time-have always been throughout my whole life. Despite changes in a variety of mental/physical/environmental factors and trying to actively address this problem, it has never gone away. I average 9-10 hours of sleep a night and wake up tired every day. I had always assumed it was the depression-but would this still be happening without having any other depression symptoms?

Also, I cry very easily. Not over normal things either, silly little things and I can't stop myself. It's very frustrating and I feel like I have no control over it. Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Thank you so much all, I have tried talking to doctors in the past to no avail so hopefully I can get some guidance here!
cuppkake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
KIAman
Diamond Member
 
KIAman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppkake View Post
...snip... Not having any symptoms of depression that I have had in the past...snip...
There could be many reasons why you are tired when you wake up in the mornings; nutrition, stress, hormone inbalances, illness and even... depression.

Sudden crying at a drop of a dime is also a symptom of many things and even depression.

Just because you never had these specific symptoms before doesn't mean you won't develop them later.

A doctor would simply look at your history and match the most likely scenario which is depression. You mentioned you already spoke to doctors, what type of doctors did you speak to?

Without knowing anything about you and the limited amount of information you have given, I would say you are relapsing to depression.
__________________
Heatware
Paypal Verified
KIAman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Smoove910
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nampa, Idaho
Posts: 1,099
Default

So a year ago you stopped taking your meds.... Have you noticed the an increase of being tired and crying about anything since dropping the meds? That could be the problem... but I'm no psychiatrist.
__________________
Mobo: Biostar TA880GU3+ uATX
Proc: AMD Phenom II 960T unlocked/6 cores @ 3.5ghz
Ram: (4) 4gb GSkill 1600mhz (16gb total)
HDDs: (2) 640GB WD AAKS, (1) 750GB Seagate Ext
Vid: Sapphire 6870 1gb DDR5 1000mhz core, 1100 mhz mem
Camera: Pentax K5, I'm not a Canikon fanboy.
Smoove910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
JellyBaby
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 9,157
Default

You might actually be oversleeping, 9-10 hours is likely more than you need and could be contributing to your tiredness. Shoot for 7-8 hours.

Exercise helps with depression and tiredness. I strongly suggest getting in regular exercise as it will help (plus you get all the associated health benefits!). No need to go crazy but it's important to get in at least 20-30 minutes most days of the week. This can make a huge difference in how you feel but you'll never know if you don't give it a whirl.

Let's see...get out in the sun for 10-20 minutes each day to get some vitamin D (or you can go with supplements).

Crying as you described could be due to some emotional pain you're suppressing. A good therapist would be the way to go there. And btw there's absolutely nothing whatsoever wrong with crying in general. It's our bodies natural way of moving emotions naturally yet we've been systematically taught not to cry as soon as we're born. I swear this is why women have a longer average life expectancy compared to men.
JellyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
cuppkake
Member
 
cuppkake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In your dreams
Posts: 73
Default

First off, thank you for taking the time to read and reply. I know there is not a lot you can offer but I appreciate outsider perspective and opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIAman View Post
There could be many reasons why you are tired when you wake up in the mornings; nutrition, stress, hormone inbalances, illness and even... depression.

Sudden crying at a drop of a dime is also a symptom of many things and even depression.

Just because you never had these specific symptoms before doesn't mean you won't develop them later.

A doctor would simply look at your history and match the most likely scenario which is depression. You mentioned you already spoke to doctors, what type of doctors did you speak to?

Without knowing anything about you and the limited amount of information you have given, I would say you are relapsing to depression.
I have spoken with regular docs & psychologists. I have a BS in Psych myself as well, so I find it highly unlikely it is depression. I am going to look further into a possible hormone imbalance, as the other possibilities I have eliminated. Thank you for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoove910 View Post
So a year ago you stopped taking your meds.... Have you noticed the an increase of being tired and crying about anything since dropping the meds? That could be the problem... but I'm no psychiatrist.
No, I have not noticed an increase. I actually noticed a decrease in other aspects of depression, which is why I have not pursued meds again-I feel I no longer need them. I have been on and off meds for over 10 years, and have never felt better-except for these two things, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBaby View Post
You might actually be oversleeping, 9-10 hours is likely more than you need and could be contributing to your tiredness. Shoot for 7-8 hours.

Exercise helps with depression and tiredness. I strongly suggest getting in regular exercise as it will help (plus you get all the associated health benefits!). No need to go crazy but it's important to get in at least 20-30 minutes most days of the week. This can make a huge difference in how you feel but you'll never know if you don't give it a whirl.

Let's see...get out in the sun for 10-20 minutes each day to get some vitamin D (or you can go with supplements).

Crying as you described could be due to some emotional pain you're suppressing. A good therapist would be the way to go there. And btw there's absolutely nothing whatsoever wrong with crying in general. It's our bodies natural way of moving emotions naturally yet we've been systematically taught not to cry as soon as we're born. I swear this is why women have a longer average life expectancy compared to men.
I have tried sleeping 5 hours, 6 hours, 7 hours...etc over the years to try and combat the tiredness-to no avail. If I only sleep 7/8 I am still dragging in the morning, tired throughout the day, and unable to keep my eyes open by 9 pm. Unfortunately, the same is true getting 9 or 10 hours as well.

I do exercise, about an hour a day. Living in FL, I am frequently outside, taking the dog for walks or at the beach.

I do not believe it is emotional suppression, I have seen counselors in the past and have overcome those feelings. Even still, if I could afford it I do enjoy being able to talk to a therapist. Any other alternatives for emotional dumping, besides expensive therapy??
cuppkake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
Smoove910
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nampa, Idaho
Posts: 1,099
Default

What does your diet consist of?
__________________
Mobo: Biostar TA880GU3+ uATX
Proc: AMD Phenom II 960T unlocked/6 cores @ 3.5ghz
Ram: (4) 4gb GSkill 1600mhz (16gb total)
HDDs: (2) 640GB WD AAKS, (1) 750GB Seagate Ext
Vid: Sapphire 6870 1gb DDR5 1000mhz core, 1100 mhz mem
Camera: Pentax K5, I'm not a Canikon fanboy.
Smoove910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
cuppkake
Member
 
cuppkake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In your dreams
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoove910 View Post
What does your diet consist of?
I do not eat processed meats. Mainly vegetables, raw or stir fry, veggie sandwiches or subs, fresh caught fish (SO is a commercial fisherman), pizza, a lot of almonds and nuts, rice
cuppkake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
blackdogdeek
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: terra firma
Posts: 12,596
Default

do you snore?

just because you are in bed for 8 hours doesn't mean you are sleeping for 8 hours. it's possible you have sleep apnea and never actually get restful sleep. one way to find out is to go to a sleep clinic and have them observe you overnight. if you have sleep apnea they will probably prescribe a cpap machine.
__________________
12-0-0 | girls | my free iOS game
blackdogdeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
Exodist
Senior Member
 
Exodist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Walnut, Mississippi, USA
Posts: 331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppkake View Post
I hope this is the right place to post this. And this isn't going to be one of those woes me posts I see so often in some of the other places, I am looking for genuine insight and help.

I am 26 years old. Have had a history of mild depression in the past, have been on small doses of anti-depressants most of my life. ~a year ago I stopped taking my meds (due to financial reasons) and honestly am alright not taking them-do not feel at all depressed. I exercise, have many hobbies, spend a lot of time outside, etc. Not having any symptoms of depression that I have had in the past.

Yet, I find that I am seriously tired a lot of the time-have always been throughout my whole life. Despite changes in a variety of mental/physical/environmental factors and trying to actively address this problem, it has never gone away. I average 9-10 hours of sleep a night and wake up tired every day. I had always assumed it was the depression-but would this still be happening without having any other depression symptoms?

Also, I cry very easily. Not over normal things either, silly little things and I can't stop myself. It's very frustrating and I feel like I have no control over it. Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Thank you so much all, I have tried talking to doctors in the past to no avail so hopefully I can get some guidance here!
Have you been tested for Sleep Apnea?
I ask because I suffer from it. Although I am getting MUCH better, before I started using it I would sleep 4 hours or 12 hours, no matter what I would wake up like a drained battery. Nothing I did or took could really get me going. That alone was depressing. So I went and got tested after a LT good friend of mine mentioned it. I was skeptical but went along with having the sleep test done. They told me that I would quit breathing many many times during my sleep and that to keep breathing my brain would have to stay awake and keep my lungs started back up. So they set me up with a mask and machine to wear at night while I sleep. And WOW.. It freaking works.. Used to without my mask I could fall asleep mid sentence while talking to someone, no matter what time of the day. I have even wrecked my car while changing a radio station. I fell a sleep mid station and hit a curb and blew my tire. But with it, I feel fantastic. I can drive with out falling asleep or any other issues.

As far as crying over stupid stuff. Its called having a heart. I can watch a super hero save someone in a movie and get tear-eyed. If someone lols at you just punch them in the jaw.
Exodist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
Whisper
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 5,384
Default

If you're waking up tired after 9-10 hours of sleep, I second the recommendation to consider undergoing a sleep study. Could be a matter of apnea, restless leg syndrome, or at least a few other things.

Chronic fatigue can lead to reduced stress tolerance (e.g., increased crying, irritability, difficulty concentrating), which might explain some of what's going on. These are also symptoms of depression, along with probably a hundred other things. If you haven't spoken with a primary care doc in a while, you might consider getting a check-up (physical, blood work, etc.). The above types of problems can show up in a variety of hormonal (hypothyroidism) and other conditions.

As for the BS in psychology, I'll say this--I'm a doctoral candidate in clinical psychology, and if there's anything I've learned in my grad school career, it's that objective and accurate self-diagnosis is generally never possible. It sounds like you've spoken with therapists before; if they thought you had depression at the time, then perhaps it was just their particular style of therapy that didn't work for you. Then again, it's also quite possible--as I mentioned above--that the depressive symptoms are being caused by an underlying sleep disturbance/medical condition.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #11
cuppkake
Member
 
cuppkake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In your dreams
Posts: 73
Default

Great points guys, this has really helped. Had not considered a sleep study before, I will look into options for that. Also, I start a new job Monday and get full benefits after 90 days so I will definitely take your advice and get a full workup at that time.

Thank you, this at least gives me some alternatives to look at as I was feeling like I was out of ideas!
cuppkake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
MagnusTheBrewer
Lifer
 
MagnusTheBrewer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 17,335
Default

Has your doctor checked for thyroid problems? Your symptoms are often experienced by by folks with both hypo and hyperthyroidism. Hashimoto's may also be a possibility.
__________________
"We love you children"
"Oh, yes we do"
"Boiled, Fried and, Barbequed"
MagnusTheBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #13
SP33Demon
Lifer
 
SP33Demon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: In Your Frontal Lobe
Posts: 22,222
Default

Are you overall happy with your life? Everything is fine? If not, I would see a therapist just to talk things over with them. It sounds like you have the physical fitness part down pat by working out an hour a day.
__________________
ATH&F Member of 2X Bodyweight Squat and Deadlift Clubs
-----------
R.I.P. Acemcmac
SP33Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #14
ichy
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,932
Default

When you said you woke up tired my first thought was sleep apnea.
ichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #15
Jeffg010
Diamond Member
 
Jeffg010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 3,224
Default

I felt tire too and took some test for a diet and it said to eat more beans such as black eye peas and other beans. After a few months of my new diet it lost a about 15lbs of weight and my tiredness went away.

Let me ask you this are you over weight and do you exercise?
Jeffg010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #16
tedrodai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BAMA
Posts: 966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffg010 View Post
I felt tire too and took some test for a diet and it said to eat more beans such as black eye peas and other beans. After a few months of my new diet it lost a about 15lbs of weight and my tiredness went away.

Let me ask you this are you over weight and do you exercise?
Just wanted to point out the OP's already answered yes to the bolded part of your question.

But yeah, diet might possibly be part of it. Make sure you get all your nutritional needs such as iron.
tedrodai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #17
angminas
Platinum Member
 
angminas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,421
Default

In addition to the above, you could try monitoring your blood sugar.
__________________
I see the world very differently than most. If you make an assumption about what I think, you'll be wrong.
The foolish do not learn from the wise, but the wise learn from the foolish.
There was one who thought he was above me, and he was above me until he had that thought. - Elbert Hubbard
When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him. (Proverbs 16:7)
angminas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #18
cuppkake
Member
 
cuppkake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In your dreams
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusTheBrewer View Post
Has your doctor checked for thyroid problems? Your symptoms are often experienced by by folks with both hypo and hyperthyroidism. Hashimoto's may also be a possibility.
I have been checked before for this, it runs in my family but I was not found to have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP33Demon View Post
Are you overall happy with your life? Everything is fine? If not, I would see a therapist just to talk things over with them. It sounds like you have the physical fitness part down pat by working out an hour a day.
I am absolutely thrilled with my life, has never been better in all honesty. I am looking into a therapist once I start getting benefits at my new job, I don't know if they cover that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffg010 View Post
I felt tire too and took some test for a diet and it said to eat more beans such as black eye peas and other beans. After a few months of my new diet it lost a about 15lbs of weight and my tiredness went away.

Let me ask you this are you over weight and do you exercise?
Interesting, what kind of test did you take? I will try this, it doesnt hurt to incorporate more beans anyway. Not overweight- 5'2 and 120 lbs. Thanks for the suggestion!
cuppkake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #19
KingstonU
Golden Member
 
KingstonU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,247
Default

Haven't read the whole thread, but as soon as I saw that you mentioned that you are tired but you are getting 9-10 hours of sleep per night I had to post.

Like someone else said, 9-10 hours is over sleeping, and I know that for me if I get 9-10 hours, I have overslept and will feel tired. But getting back to 7-8 hours brings back my energy. Note that it could take up to a week for your sleeping pattern to fix itself and you start feeling the effects.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by flvinny521 View Post
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixyCrat View Post
Youíve got to be kidding me. Iíve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. Itís just common sense.
KingstonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:28 AM   #20
Mr. Pedantic
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 4,883
Default

Have you checked for anaemia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingstonU View Post
Haven't read the whole thread, but as soon as I saw that you mentioned that you are tired but you are getting 9-10 hours of sleep per night I had to post.

Like someone else said, 9-10 hours is over sleeping, and I know that for me if I get 9-10 hours, I have overslept and will feel tired. But getting back to 7-8 hours brings back my energy. Note that it could take up to a week for your sleeping pattern to fix itself and you start feeling the effects.
That's for you. Some people do fine on 6 hours, some need 12 or 13 hours. It depends on the person. Seriously. Why do people automatically assume their situation is applicable to everyone else?
Mr. Pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #21
KingstonU
Golden Member
 
KingstonU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pedantic View Post
Have you checked for anaemia?


That's for you. Some people do fine on 6 hours, some need 12 or 13 hours. It depends on the person. Seriously. Why do people automatically assume their situation is applicable to everyone else?
The guy asked for advice, I gave him advice worth checking out, chill.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by flvinny521 View Post
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixyCrat View Post
Youíve got to be kidding me. Iíve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. Itís just common sense.
KingstonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #22
warr666
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 205
Default

.....

Last edited by warr666; 05-06-2012 at 10:47 AM.
warr666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #23
kinev
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,460
Default

Judging by 5'2" and 120, I'd say the OP is probably female, so anemia is a possibility.

If you are a female are you taking any iron supplements? Judging from your diet, you don't eat much red meat. Being female and I'm assuming of reproductive age, you lose a significant amount of blood monthly. It's important for females that don't eat a diet with significant red meat to replace that lost iron.

Lots of assumptions on our parts, but it's something to consider. As others have said, sleep apnea also sounds plausible.
__________________

"i used to find my wife's intelligence to be attractive...
now she just uses it to create smarter nags..." - meltdown75
kinev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #24
interchange
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 1,642
Default

I know this thread is a month old, but I was reading through and couldn't help but reply.

Talking to your doctor about what's going on is not a bad start. A simple H&P can reveal a lot. I doubt there's much appropriate lab analysis for your situation.

However, I was struck by something in your post that no one else seems to care about. You have a history of depression treated successfully with antidepressants. Now you went off antidepressants. Now you have symptoms which can easily be attributable to depression. This doesn't seem like rocket science to me. As you should well know, you don't have to feel depressed to meet criteria for depression (whether it be dysthymia, minor depression, major depression is another discussion).

The best question is, why did you stop taking your antidepressant medications?
Edit: I see that you answered your question in the OP. Many antidepressants are on $4/month prescription plans and the others typically have patient assistance programs through the manufacturer. Financial issues shouldn't stop you from being on medicine that you need.

Last edited by interchange; 10-19-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: re-read of OP
interchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #25
Nebbers
Senior Member
 
Nebbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 649
Default

Not sure if you're still checking this, but if so, just curious... do you drink coffee or anything caffeinated? Sorry if this was mentioned already but I searched and didn't see it.

I'm not sure why this is exactly -- but I've found that while moderate amounts of caffeine boost my mood, overdoing it day after day actually seems to cause really weird, downward mood swings with crying over little things included in that.

And as interchange said, there are definitely ways to get free or cheap meds for this sort of thing. If you have no insurance odds are you can get virtually any psychiatric-oriented medication for free or just a few dollars if you get in a patient assistance program.
Nebbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.