· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 09-10-2011, 02:57 AM   #1
mingsoup

Default Best time to buy a receiver/last year's models?

I'm looking into the possibility of a new home theater receiver but have no real need for tons of bells or bleeding edge. It would just be nice to have auto detect input/headphone. and hdmi ports as my receiver is probably 5 years old now. How or when could you buy a older receiver cheaply when they seem to only sell this years models? Is there a website that lists last years best bang for buck receiver? Is it a matter of buying used?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
mingsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:33 AM   #2
arredondo

It all comes down to features you want. I have had an Onkyo 604 for 5+ years, and its dual HDMI inputs and fantastic 5.1 surround sound quality have served me and my HTPC/PS3/1080P HDTV setup very well.

However I now have to sell it if possible and buy a new one because I'm getting a 3D TV. If not for that, I'd stick with my 604 for many more years since like you I have little need for a lot of the features I see advertised now (wifi music streaming, internet access, etc.).
~
Sony 60" 3D Bravia NX-720 ''' Yamaha RX-V667 receiver ''' Velodyne Front Row speakers x5 ''' BIC H-100 sub
arredondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #3
velillen
Golden Member

I dont know if there is any real "good time to buy" exactly. I suppose the best would be right before next years model is released. So your "last years" is about to become two years old sort of deal.

As fo rbest bang....some sites like a4less have refurb/bstock that are cheap and good (where i got mine).

As for what to look for...i can speak for onkyo. Basically this year is the XX9 line. last years is the XX8. For cheap the XX8 isnt a bad line at all. Does 3d and the such. This years offering adds some features but you might not be interested. You can also find the refurbs/bstock of the 9 series too. For example a onkyo 609 can be found for ~400 new. or 340 "refurb" or drop to a 608 for 280.

Basically for 3d anything last year and up will work just fine.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Modelworks
Lifer

Buy right before CES . CES is the consumer electronics show where they release the new models. Stores like to clear out stock so they can be the first with all the new models on display.
Next one is Jan 10, 2012

Don't forget pawn shops either. I have come across some amazing deals in pawn shops. Some very high end amps like Harmon Kardon for pennies on the dollar.
Found for $125.00 - http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Pr...AVR%201650

Last edited by Modelworks; 09-10-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Modelworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
s44
Diamond Member

Refurb shops (a4less, dakmart) or Audiogon/Videogon are good places to look for last year's models. Or, yeah, clear-out just before/after new stuff.
s44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:32 AM   #6
mingsoup

Thanks for the information guys.

Like televisions it seems the hottest time to buy is last week in November. Camelcamelcamel show both the onkyo 608 and pioneer 1020k both hitting yearly lows in that week.

I'll read up on this years onkyo and pioneer and maybe get ready. I don't really need new audio codecs, but an auto sensing input system would be great. I could send audio over HDMI which would eliminate lots of optical cables from my system. I'd also like the ability to plug in headphones and have the receiver shut off the speakers automatically. However all the above is still not absolutely necessary. So I'd like to get a new receiver for as cheap as possible even settling for used.

My receiver right now has been through alot. It overheats without a fan I installed. I had to redo the thermal paste on the big mosfets. (Lesson! do not put your receiver in a tight enclosed space) All the component jacks are borked, I have to switch externally on a Monoprice RCA switch. Besides the above, it still puts audio out and not being a huge audiophile it still works for me.

Last edited by mingsoup; 09-12-2011 at 02:35 AM.
mingsoup is offline   Reply With Quote