· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
s44
Diamond Member

Default iPhone 5 looks like...?

this?

Lawsuits incoming from Samsung, HTC, Motorola in 3, 2, 1...
Old 08-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
JS80
Lifer

Hah! They copied the Samsung GS2!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
Oyeve
Lifer

Probably true. I cant see any other type of design for the ip5 if it goes larger screeen.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
cheezy321
Diamond Member

So the iPhone 5 copied the Samsung SGS2 which copied the iPhone 4?

/head asplodes

The biggest problem with America is not faceless corporate forces; the biggest problem with America is people who blame faceless corporate forces instead of accepting accountability for their own lives. - Chuck Klosterman
Old 08-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
zsdersw
Lifer

Slow news day, I suspect.

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand -Milton Friedman

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -Robert J. Hanlon
Old 08-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
QuantumPion
Diamond Member

zoom and enhance!
Old 08-31-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
boomhower
Diamond Member

I don't get it. Of course they are going to look similar. They a large rectangles covered mostly with a screen a few buttons on the bottom.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
NoStateofMind
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
I don't get it. Of course they are going to look similar. They a large rectangles covered mostly with a screen a few buttons on the bottom.

You just stole my idea for a new phone! I'll sue!

"For this reason was the Son of God manifest, that God may be Glorified IN Him"...words from a dream
Old 08-31-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
Bateluer
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezy321 View Post
So the iPhone 5 copied the Samsung SGS2 which copied the iPhone 4 which copied the Samsung F700

/head asplodes
Fixed it.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:38 AM   #10
Envian

Something interesting about iPhone... remember this is a concept...

iPhone 5 concept video
Old 09-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
cheezy321
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateluer View Post
Fixed it.
Lol, silly fanboi. The samsung F700 was announced after the original iphone was announced. Feb 2007 to be exact, iPhone was announced Jan 2007. Basically these two phones were being developed at the same time. What happened after the iPhone came out? Here comes the damning evidence....

Wanna read more? Link: http://thisismynext.com/2011/04/20/t...-samsung-f700/

Get your facts straight.

The biggest problem with America is not faceless corporate forces; the biggest problem with America is people who blame faceless corporate forces instead of accepting accountability for their own lives. - Chuck Klosterman
Old 09-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #12
Doboji
Diamond Member

Have you actually seen a SGSII? doesnt look anything even remotely like the iPhone 4.... Its not even close.

Current Toys: Samsung Galaxy SIII, iPad 3 32GB WIFI, lots of mechanical watches!

Last edited by Doboji; 09-05-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #13
zsdersw
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doboji View Post
Have you actually seen a SGSII? doesnt look anything even remotely like the iPhone 4.... Its not even close.
Apparently the fact that the SGSII is bigger, has a bigger screen, and has two capacitive buttons on either side of the physical button doesn't matter if you're an Apple fanatic.

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand -Milton Friedman

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -Robert J. Hanlon
Old 09-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #14
Bateluer
Lifer

Quote:
Lol, silly fanboi. The samsung F700 was announced after the original iphone was announced. Feb 2007 to be exact, iPhone was announced Jan 2007.

Get your facts straight.
F700 was announced at Cebit 2006, but didn't have any hardware to show. Remove the iPhone picture from your shot, observing only the F700 and SGS2. Still with me? Ok, observer how Samsung has added the standard Android buttons of Menu and Back next to their large center button, common on both the F700 and SGS2. One would expect the visuals to improve between the 2006 F700 and the 2011 SGS2, hardly noteworthy. TW may look very iPhone-like, but its a lot like saying Gnome looks like Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsdersw View Post
Apparently the fact that the SGSII is bigger, has a bigger screen, and has two capacitive buttons on either side of the physical button doesn't matter if you're an Apple fanatic.
Course not. TW is very iPhone-like though, one of the big reasons people hate it. But its basically squarish pictures aligned on a grid. Like pretty much every other GUI every made by anyone ever.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #15
Doboji
Diamond Member

Quote:
Lol, silly fanboi. The samsung F700 was announced after the original iphone was announced. Feb 2007 to be exact, iPhone was announced Jan 2007. Basically these two phones were being developed at the same time. What happened after the iPhone came out? Here comes the damning evidence....

Wanna read more? Link: http://thisismynext.com/2011/04/20/t...-samsung-f700/

Get your facts straight.
Is it because they added color to the icons? Is that an Apple "thing". Apple owns the patent or trademark for brightly colored squareish icons? Help me out here... because I fail to see how the Galaxy S more closely resembles the iPhone than it does any other touchscreen smartphone on the market.

Compare the Galaxy S, iPhone 3, iPhone 4, Blackberry Storm, Nexus One, Nokia 5800, Palm Pre...

They all have similar characteristics. I fail completely to see how the Galaxy S compares closer to the iPhone 3 than it does many of the others...

The only thing questionable is the way the Touchwiz Appdrawer looks in comparison to the iPhone home screens. Would the lawsuits end if Touchwiz adopted a vertically scrolling app drawer like the standard Android? Beyond that I fail utterly to see the problem here.

Apple is clearly engaging in anti-competitive behavior with these injunctions and lawsuits. I don't know if they'll ever pay for it... or get stopped in anyway. But it's pretty awful from my perspective.

Current Toys: Samsung Galaxy SIII, iPad 3 32GB WIFI, lots of mechanical watches!
Old 09-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #16
akugami
Diamond Member

Quote:
The fact that Android was largely influenced (copied) by iOS doesn't seem to matter if you're an Android fanatic either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doboji View Post
Is it because they added color to the icons? Is that an Apple "thing". Apple owns the patent or trademark for brightly colored squareish icons? Help me out here... because I fail to see how the Galaxy S more closely resembles the iPhone than it does any other touchscreen smartphone on the market.
Many will say that the iPhone copied the Samsung F700. Ergonomically, if you compare the whole device, they are completely different. It is only when viewing just the front face is it similar. The much thicker body of the F700 as well as the slide out keyboard for instance. But if you wanna argue UI, the F700 is largely navigated by "scrolling" through icons. You can grab a copy of the user manual if you wanna see how it controls. Anyone can see that the UI is navigated completely different from the iPhone.

Quote:
The only thing questionable is the way the Touchwiz Appdrawer looks in comparison to the iPhone home screens. Would the lawsuits end if Touchwiz adopted a vertically scrolling app drawer like the standard Android? Beyond that I fail utterly to see the problem here.
Likely. Keep in mind that Apple's argument vs Samsung is for Trade Dress and not any single element. As has been stated many times in these forums, multiple common elements may be combined to form a unique design. Something many people will keep ignoring. Apple's argument on some of the newer Samsung devices aren't that many, or all, of the elements are unique and original to Apple devices.

Apple's opinion is that taken as a whole, Samsung has copied the iPhone from the physical aspects of the device down to the feel of the OS. And considering how many reviewers stated how Samsung's Touchwhiz interface feels like iOS and the fact that Samsung has been previously sued by the likes of RIM for copying cell phone designs, it's hard to argue in favor of Samsung if one was to be completely unbiased.

Quote:
Apple is clearly engaging in anti-competitive behavior with these injunctions and lawsuits. I don't know if they'll ever pay for it... or get stopped in anyway. But it's pretty awful from my perspective.
To a degree I agree with you. However, think on this, if you owned Apple completely and you felt your competitors were copying your design, would you sue them? It all comes down to whether one feels Apple's patents and Trade Dress arguments are valid or not. Apple clearly feels that way so they are doing something about it.

If Apple's management feels their patents or designs are being infringed upon, they are legally obligated to do something about it. ...the directors and officers of a corporation shall exercise their powers and discharge their duties with a view to the interests of the corporation and of the shareholders.... The bolded section is taken from Section 716 of Main's Business Corporation Act but every state will have some similar statue. The wording may differ but in essence, the management of every company is legally obligated to do everything in management's power to look out for the interest of its shareholders. There is nothing stated about the public's best interest. So if Apple's management feels their IP and Trademarks are being infringed upon, they have a legal obligation to do something about it.

Keep in mind I am not arguing that Apple's IP and Trademarks are being infringed upon is correct. I am merely stating why Apple may be legally obligated to take legal action against Samsung, HTC, and anyone else if they feel their Trademarks and IP are being infringed.
That was insensitive of me. I asked you to stop being stupid without considering how extremely difficult that must be for you.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #17
Doboji
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akugami View Post
The fact that Android was largely influenced (copied) by iOS doesn't seem to matter if you're an Android fanatic either.

Many will say that the iPhone copied the Samsung F700. Ergonomically, if you compare the whole device, they are completely different. It is only when viewing just the front face is it similar. The much thicker body of the F700 as well as the slide out keyboard for instance. But if you wanna argue UI, the F700 is largely navigated by "scrolling" through icons. You can grab a copy of the user manual if you wanna see how it controls. Anyone can see that the UI is navigated completely different from the iPhone.

Likely. Keep in mind that Apple's argument vs Samsung is for Trade Dress and not any single element. As has been stated many times in these forums, multiple common elements may be combined to form a unique design. Something many people will keep ignoring. Apple's argument on some of the newer Samsung devices aren't that many, or all, of the elements are unique and original to Apple devices.

Apple's opinion is that taken as a whole, Samsung has copied the iPhone from the physical aspects of the device down to the feel of the OS. And considering how many reviewers stated how Samsung's Touchwhiz interface feels like iOS and the fact that Samsung has been previously sued by the likes of RIM for copying cell phone designs, it's hard to argue in favor of Samsung if one was to be completely unbiased.

To a degree I agree with you. However, think on this, if you owned Apple completely and you felt your competitors were copying your design, would you sue them? It all comes down to whether one feels Apple's patents and Trade Dress arguments are valid or not. Apple clearly feels that way so they are doing something about it.

If Apple's management feels their patents or designs are being infringed upon, they are legally obligated to do something about it. ...the directors and officers of a corporation shall exercise their powers and discharge their duties with a view to the interests of the corporation and of the shareholders.... The bolded section is taken from Section 716 of Main's Business Corporation Act but every state will have some similar statue. The wording may differ but in essence, the management of every company is legally obligated to do everything in management's power to look out for the interest of its shareholders. There is nothing stated about the public's best interest. So if Apple's management feels their IP and Trademarks are being infringed upon, they have a legal obligation to do something about it.

Keep in mind I am not arguing that Apple's IP and Trademarks are being infringed upon is correct. I am merely stating why Apple may be legally obligated to take legal action against Samsung, HTC, and anyone else if they feel their Trademarks and IP are being infringed.
I absolutely understand Apples perspective, if you have the cash, and the legal system allows for you to litigate continuously against your competitors with things like this "trade dress". I am simply dismayed and angered that this is allowed to continue as it is.

Trade dress as you describe it is completely subjective on every level... It is beyond me to understand why our legal system allows for it.

For example why aren't there lawsuits all the time in the auto industry? The same sort of thing happens all the time... Doesn't the Ford Fusion copy the trade dress of the Camry and Accord? What about the F150 and it's competitors?

And sorry even though I understand Apple from a corporate perspective... I will forever hate them for taking advantage of the system. I think Apple arrogance has them believing they own the "trade dress" for the touchscreen smartphone as it exists today period.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:01 AM   #18
senseamp
Lifer

And Apple is calling Samsung the "copyist" I guess they are living up to Steve Jobs' "ethics" of stealing instead of copying.

Last edited by senseamp; 09-06-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:23 AM   #19
runawayprisoner
Platinum Member

I am not sure if it's just me, but doesn't "steal" essentially means stripping one of his own possession without his consent?

In that regard, Apple has only managed to "copy", not steal.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:43 AM   #20
senseamp
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayprisoner View Post
I am not sure if it's just me, but doesn't "steal" essentially means stripping one of his own possession without his consent?

In that regard, Apple has only managed to "copy", not steal.
No, it managed to steal. Meaning not only did it make a copy of Samsung's design, but it wants to strip Samsung of the ability to use it and claim it as solely Apple's. That's what Jobs meant by good artists copy, great artist steal. Great artists, as he sees himself, get away with not just copying a design, but stealing credit for it and claiming it as their own.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:19 AM   #21
Rick James Astley
Golden Member

The iphone precedes the F700, one of the sites had an actual hands on impression article but Samsung asked them to take it down because the prototype of the F700 (which according to Samsung was in development since April 06) performed poorly. The actual hands on article (think there was a video too) was post iphone release.

Apple pushed this patent litigation business too far, arguments about protecting IP are BS, the lawsuits are a poor attempt to fight off competition.

What if one of the early PDA OEM's had patented the accelerometer function of switching landscape/portrait modes or other functions? All OEM's, including Apple and of course us consumers would have suffered.

Apple cherry picked features of various PDA's and once tech innovations and material pricing made it viable to produce a phone with high profit margins, they launched the iphone and then turned around and tried to restrict others from using features they stole to begin with.

Kick the competition out under the disguise of trade dress protection...
Old 09-06-2011, 04:45 AM   #22
zsdersw
Lifer

Quote:
The fact that all these lawsuits and injunctions are recent, rather than when Android first came out, makes your statement irrelevant to this discussion.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #23
Doboji
Diamond Member

In any case... Apples shenanigans is very much like all the crazy lawsuits about spilled coffee and burglars falling through sky lights. Legally they can do it, financially the stand to gain from it... But it makes them total deadbeat douche bags.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #24
akugami
Diamond Member

Quote:
The fact that all these lawsuits and injunctions are recent, rather than when Android first came out, makes your statement irrelevant to this discussion.
So my statement is irrelevant because you decide it was? It's ok for you to constantly shit on Apple and Apple users in every thread for certain behavior but when similar behavior is pointed out and attributed to Android, it's OEM's, and it's fanboys suddenly it's irrelevant?
That was insensitive of me. I asked you to stop being stupid without considering how extremely difficult that must be for you.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:56 AM   #25
zsdersw
Lifer

Quote:
So my statement is irrelevant because you decide it was? It's ok for you to constantly shit on Apple and Apple users in every thread for certain behavior but when similar behavior is pointed out and attributed to Android, it's OEM's, and it's fanboys suddenly it's irrelevant?
Not because I said so.. because of common sense. Assuming you're correct about Android being built on ideas put forth by iOS, essentially copying iOS, that would only be relevant to this discussion about another of Apple's current legal escapades if it was 2008 (when Android was first released)... not 2011.

Android has been around, in all of its iOS-copying (according to you) glory, for a few years without all of these lawsuits. To bring up that purported copying now, in a discussion about Apple's present legal efforts to kill Android is outdated.

Last edited by zsdersw; 09-08-2011 at 05:01 AM.
Closed Thread