· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 09-18-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
xyyz
Diamond Member

Default 24fps vs 30fps

to start, let me say i know absolutely nothing about cinematography or videography. i barely started with my E-510 earlier this year, so I probably don't know too much about photography either.

that being said, i was looking over the specs for the Canon 5D MkII. the camera does 1080p @ 30fps. this was compared to the Nikon D90's 720p @ 24fps. from what i've read, Nikon's decision to do the 24fps is superior to the Canon's +6fps offering.

i really don't understand why people are poo-pooing on this 30fps. can someone explain the pitfalls of 30fps, and why 24fps is so great?
"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason if we dig deep in our history and doctrine and remember that we are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes which were for the moment unpopular. We can deny our heritage and our history, but we cannot escape responsibility for the result. There is no way for a citizen of the Republic to abdicate his responsibility." - E.R. Murrow
xyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
pennylane
Diamond Member

Default 24fps vs 30fps

30fps is better for sports because it captures motion better. Most TV is also shown at 30fps (often 60hz interlaced).

Movies are filmed at 24fps. 24fps is generally regarded as having a "cinematic" look. There's a smoothness to it, or something. It's different from 30fps which is associated with TV shows which lack that "cinematic" feel to them. I think if you watch a movie versus something like sports, you'll notice the difference in the motion.

If people are saying that 24fps is better on the D90, it's probably because it can better give the "film" look that people want for movies, ie, people want to take advantage of a d-slr's sensor and DoF possibilities and make artsy films, not record sports and stuff.

Also, that's why nowadays TV's have come out that are 120 Hz. Before TV's were 60 Hz (ie, perfect for 30 fps). 120 Hz is divisible by 24 and 30 at the same time. So it can display 24fps movies (blu-ray) without having to interpolate frames (60Hz TV's have to interpolate frames to get 24 fps movies to display properly). 120 Hz can also display 30fps TV shows without interpolating frames either.

XBL: SturDGoldenBear (SSFIV)
PSN: spicyclubsauce

Topics here have reached lows that even I cannot tolerate.

Keep your toe nail clipping and nose hair trimming habits to yourself folks.
AnandTech Moderator
pennylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #3
ElFenix
Elite Member
Super Moderator
Off Topic

Default 24fps vs 30fps

Quote:
Originally posted by: fanerman91

Also, that's why nowadays TV's have come out that are 120 Hz. Before TV's were 60 Hz (ie, perfect for 30 fps). 120 Hz is divisible by 24 and 30 at the same time. So it can display 24fps movies (blu-ray) without having to interpolate frames (60Hz TV's have to interpolate frames to get 24 fps movies to display properly). 120 Hz can also display 30fps TV shows without interpolating frames either.
the player does the telecining with instructions from the disc on what parts of the frame to redraw

does anyone know for a fact that the 5D won't do 24 fps?

AnandTech Mean Moderator
ElFenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:17 AM   #4
pennylane
Diamond Member

Default 24fps vs 30fps

Quote:
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Quote:
Originally posted by: fanerman91

the player does the telecining with instructions from the disc on what parts of the frame to redraw

does anyone know for a fact that the 5D won't do 24 fps?
Right, it's interpolated by the DVD player. My bad. I haven't heard anything about 24fps.

XBL: SturDGoldenBear (SSFIV)
PSN: spicyclubsauce

Topics here have reached lows that even I cannot tolerate.

Keep your toe nail clipping and nose hair trimming habits to yourself folks.
AnandTech Moderator
pennylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:30 AM   #5
xyyz
Diamond Member

Default 24fps vs 30fps

they're talking about hacked firmware to do the 24fps. i don't know if that's realistic or not.

does anyone know if you'll have AF ability while recording video?
"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason if we dig deep in our history and doctrine and remember that we are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes which were for the moment unpopular. We can deny our heritage and our history, but we cannot escape responsibility for the result. There is no way for a citizen of the Republic to abdicate his responsibility." - E.R. Murrow
xyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:26 AM   #6
FP
Diamond Member

Default 24fps vs 30fps

I thought the Canon only did 1080i not 1080p... Anyone confirm?

Oh and the 24 vs 30fps thing is kinda silly. Most TVs can't even display a 24fps signal without mucking the frame order (ivtc).

Quote of the month

slugg: I already have well developed muscles in my hands, fingers, and wrists, so strength/stamina won't be a problem.
FP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:55 AM   #7
Deadtrees
Platinum Member

Default 24fps vs 30fps

Quote:
Originally posted by: xyyz
they're talking about hacked firmware to do the 24fps. i don't know if that's realistic or not.

does anyone know if you'll have AF ability while recording video?
From what I've gathered, yes, you can use AF while shooting Video. However, it's contrast detect AF which can be really slow.

Quote:
Originally posted by: binister
I thought the Canon only did 1080i not 1080p... Anyone confirm?

Oh and the 24 vs 30fps thing is kinda silly. Most TVs can't even display a 24fps signal without mucking the frame order (ivtc).
It's 1080p.
Deadtrees is offline   Reply With Quote