· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 08-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
Deeko
Lifer

Default Mango adding tethering & ffc/skype

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/24/m...l-needs-carri/

Quote:
Microsoft's budding mobile OS is finally learning to share, just like the big kids. Windows Phone's graduation to Mango comes not only with Twitter integration, SkyDrive music streaming, and multitasking, but with internet connection sharing as well. The new feature showed its toggle switch at WPCentral this week, riding in on a Microsoft flashed Focus running Mango build 7720.68. According to the tell-all image, Windows Phones running Mango will be able to share their cellular internet connection with up to 5 devices -- reportedly draining its battery with unprecedented efficiency. ChevronWP7 collaborator Rafael Rivera confirmed over Twitter that the feature is baked into Mango, guessing that it would require a "carrier 'update' to enable." Yeah, we wouldn't be surprised.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/25/m...coming-with-m/

Quote:
When Microsoft unveiled the SGH-i937 Mango Windows Phone 7 handset last month, we noticed what appeared to be a front facing camera perched atop the Galaxy S II-like device. Now, the company has confirmed that forthcoming Mango flavored phones will indeed feature face-gazing shooters, along with Skype integration. The confirmation came at Redmond's TechEd event in New Zealand, where two employees also revealed that Microsoft's Lync VoIP client will soon expand to other platforms, including iOS, Android and Symbian. As for that Skype integration, the reps assured the audience that it's coming soon, though it remains unclear whether it'll come in the form of an app, or a subsequent update. You can watch the TechEd session for yourself after the break, but be warned that parts of it are somewhat inaudible.
Both good news for WP7 fans - two of the last major pieces of functionality missing from WP7 being added with Mango.
Deeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
GodlessAstronomer
Banned

Honestly I'm sick of hearing about Mango features and I just want the damn update. MS has been stringing us along for months and it's about time they shit or get off the pot. What really pisses me off is that even when they finally release the update I'll probably have to wait a month or more for my carrier to approve it.

If this update doesn't improve my device significantly then I'm officially done with WP7. They have make a complete cock-up of the update thing so far.
GodlessAstronomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
Deeko
Lifer

They said a long time ago that Mango was coming in the fall, never sooner - I don't see how you can say they're stringing you along.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
GodlessAstronomer
Banned

By announcing it 6 months is advance and trickling features out to us. MS needs to learn a little something from the Apple camp - don't talk about it until the people you're talking to can actually get a hold of it.
GodlessAstronomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
Deeko
Lifer

Meh. iOS 5 was announced in June, can you get your hands on it? When the iPhone was announced in January 2007, could you walk into a store and purchase one?

Its not like this is Duke Nukem Forever and they're delaying it over and over. They gave a time frame from the start, and so far, they haven't deviated.

edit: also, I kind of like the slow trickle of features. Mango was already pretty exciting, and it just keeps getting better.

Last edited by Deeko; 08-26-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
Slick5150
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodlessAstronomer View Post
Honestly I'm sick of hearing about Mango features and I just want the damn update. MS has been stringing us along for months and it's about time they shit or get off the pot. What really pisses me off is that even when they finally release the update I'll probably have to wait a month or more for my carrier to approve it.

If this update doesn't improve my device significantly then I'm officially done with WP7. They have make a complete cock-up of the update thing so far.
You can put Mango on your phone right now if you do a minimal amount of research. I've been running the final version for a couple weeks now and it's been great.
Slick5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
ImDonly1
Platinum Member

Not to mention it is ahead of schedule. Fujitsu is releasing their WP7 mango phone soon I think.
ImDonly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
Belegost

The Mango beta 2 is in 3rd party dev hands now, so this is hardly a vaporware situation. I'm glad MS is doing a good beta test. (and I'm going to darn well install it this weekend to play around with.)

As for the update process from MS, so far so good in my opinion. My fiancee's android is still 2 releases behind, and as far as I can tell may never get updated short of rooting it. This seems to be the norm for Android phones, with the current flavor of the month getting the latest and greatest, and everyone else getting "someday."

Comparatively I have waited several weeks for two updates that MS has put out so far, nothing I felt was unreasonable, considering that MS has to verify things with the handset makers, and the carriers prior to pushing out updates.

Finally, relax a bit... it's just a phone.
Belegost is online now   Reply With Quote