Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > The Garage

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
Itchrelief
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,385
Default Car whirs/whines after hard acceleration on left turn

Car: 2007 Ford Focus Sedan 2.0L

Problem is in the title. Most of the time, the car drives fine.

If I accelerate hard while making a left turn, however, the car tends to go into some sort of screwed up state where it makes a whine/whirring sound when moving (not while stopped).

It sounds somewhat like the noise cars make when in reverse gear, although I think I can feel a slight roughness/vibration in the steering wheel as it makes the noise (but I could be imagining).

The car stops making the sound after a while (usually after it's been parked for a few hours).

Only thing I can think of that may have caused this is I once went up on a curb with the front right wheel at a McDonald's drive-thru lane 2 years ago or so.

Any idea what this could be?

Thanks folks

Oh yeah, I know I probably should have taken this to a mechanic, but I don't like to make lefts unless there is a green arrow at the intersection, so the problem wasn't that big a deal to me most of the time. That plus I'm lazy.
Itchrelief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
KIAman
Diamond Member
 
KIAman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,098
Default

Sounds like your PS pump is staying engaged and the pressure has no where to go when you are going strait.
__________________
Heatware
Paypal Verified
KIAman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Mxylplyx
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchrelief View Post
Car: 2007 Ford Focus Sedan 2.0L

Problem is in the title. Most of the time, the car drives fine.

If I accelerate hard while making a left turn, however, the car tends to go into some sort of screwed up state where it makes a whine/whirring sound when moving (not while stopped).

It sounds somewhat like the noise cars make when in reverse gear, although I think I can feel a slight roughness/vibration in the steering wheel as it makes the noise (but I could be imagining).

The car stops making the sound after a while (usually after it's been parked for a few hours).

Only thing I can think of that may have caused this is I once went up on a curb with the front right wheel at a McDonald's drive-thru lane 2 years ago or so.

Any idea what this could be?

Thanks folks

Oh yeah, I know I probably should have taken this to a mechanic, but I don't like to make lefts unless there is a green arrow at the intersection, so the problem wasn't that big a deal to me most of the time. That plus I'm lazy.
Perhaps one of your tires is rubbing the wheel well, or there is some other kind of interference around the wheel.
Mxylplyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
FuzzyDunlop
Diamond Member
 
FuzzyDunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxylplyx View Post
Perhaps one of your tires is rubbing the wheel well, or there is some other kind of interference around the wheel.
did you even read the post??

Quote:
The car stops making the sound after a while(usually after it's been parked for a few hours).


How does the car perform after this starts happening?
Noticable power difference?
Steering stiffness?
__________________
'85 MR2 MK1.5
It is a curious fact that of all the illusions that beset mankind, none is quite so curious as that tendency to suppose that we are mentally and morally superior to those who differ from us in opinion.

Last edited by FuzzyDunlop; 07-21-2011 at 02:40 PM.
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
kornphlake
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,548
Default

It could be a CV joint or wheel bearing but that's usually more of a clicking or grinding noise, a problem with the power steering seems more likely. It looks like there could be a known problem with the focus and power steering. Have you checked the P/S fluid recently?

http://www.fordforums.com/f166/focus...oblems-161498/
kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
Itchrelief
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDunlop View Post

How does the car perform after this starts happening?
Noticable power difference?
Steering stiffness?
I don't notice a huge power difference. If there's a power difference, it isn't of any greater magnitude than having the parking brake on a few clicks.

I don't notice much of a difference in the steering other than it seems to have a slight vibration when moving, like the engine is running slightly rough.

I am mostly preoccupied by the noise so I may not notice other things going on.

Power steering fluid is the color of maple syrup. I do not remember the original color but there don't seem to be particulates in it at least.

PS fluid level was half a centimeter low, which does not seem that far off, but then the reservoir doesn't seem very large, either.

Everyone thinks power steering, and it sounds a lot like that, perhaps a tad lower pitched at times (maybe almost a growling when going <5mph, but usually a whir at normal speeds), but roughly the same.

The noise doesn't happen when stopped, however, only when moving, which is why I'm confused. Power steering usually makes the noise when the wheel is turned regardless of vehicle movement, right? But I'm no gearhead by any stretch.

Thanks for the input guys, and also for the reminder to check the PS fluid level.
Itchrelief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
kornphlake
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,548
Default

The power steering pump is driven by the fan belt, if it's a problem with the pump the noise may go away when the vehicle is stopped because the engine is at idle. Try shifting into neutral and rev the engine to see if the noise comes back, or when you hear the noise try shifting into neutral while rolling and rev the engine to see if the noise changes pitch with the engine's RPM.
kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
DivideBYZero
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 24,119
Default

Low PS fluid.
DivideBYZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.