· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 06-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
MrEgo

Default Is Dr. Oz legit? What's his speciality in, and how does that relate to nutrition?

Not a rhetorical question. Just wondering if anyone has any educated opinions on him.
MrEgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
DisgruntledVirus
Lifer

Well, the nutritionist that I work with who has been doing it for years and works with marathoners, ultra marathoners, and people during rehab says that he is full of shit basically. I'm not a professional (and I just have my self-education in nutrition), but I completely agree with her FWIW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texashiker View Post
So dont hate on me for jumping to conclusions without the reading the whole story.
DisgruntledVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
Whisper
Diamond Member

If I'm remembering correctly, I think he's a cardiologist...? Which means if he's learned anything about nutrition, it's general information from medical school coupled with whatever he's decided to read in his spare time afterward (unless he's done some sort of continuing ed in it), I believe.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
wheresmybacon
Diamond Member

He's a heart surgeon. I've seen his show a few times, and IMO he doesn't seem to try and come off as anything other than he is.

One show I saw that I like he had Tim Ferriss as a guest. Interesting stuff.

Specifically, I came to know of Ferriss by way of his blog and these posts in particular:

Lose 20 Pounds of Fat in 30 Days Without Exercise:
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...-any-exercise/

Gain 34 Pounds of Muscle in 4 Weeks
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...le-in-4-weeks/

Last edited by wheresmybacon; 07-01-2011 at 09:57 AM.
wheresmybacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
highland145
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmybacon View Post
He's a heart surgeon. I've seen his show a few times, and IMO he doesn't seem to try and come off as anything other than he is.

One show I saw that I like he had Tim Ferriss as a guest. Interesting stuff.

Specifically, I came to know of Ferriss by way of his blog and these posts in particular:

Lose 20 Pounds of Fat in 30 Days Without Exercise:
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...-any-exercise/

Gain 34 Pounds of Muscle in 4 Weeks
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...le-in-4-weeks/
Thoughts on this.
highland145 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
spamsk8r
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highland145 View Post
Thoughts on this.
It's legit, but a lot of it was due to regaining lost muscle mass, not putting on a bunch of new muscle without ever having trained before. It's fairly well documented in the book.

EDIT: The book I'm referring to is The 4-Hour Body.
spamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
wheresmybacon
Diamond Member

Quote:
Thoughts on this.
IMO it's possible, but not probable, that Tim gained that much muscle in a month. The qualifier is if he was once much larger like Casey Viator, the pro bodybuilder Arthur Jones used as the subject of the The Colorado Experiment, then I believe it. Obviously not as big as Casey - who was huge - but at least an experienced lifter with much more muscle on his frame than he had at the start of the endeavor.

I personally favor low volume routines, as I've seen great results with strength retention and even increases in a few lifts as I've been on a slow cut since March. Further, since I'm running again, my recovery doesn't seem to suffer as much as it did as when I was going really high volume stuff.
wheresmybacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
highland145
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamsk8r View Post
It's legit, but a lot of it was due to regaining lost muscle mass, not putting on a bunch of new muscle without ever having trained before. It's fairly well documented in the book.

EDIT: The book I'm referring to is The 4-Hour Body.
Quote:
IMO it's possible, but not probable, that Tim gained that much muscle in a month. The qualifier is if he was once much larger like Casey Viator, the pro bodybuilder Arthur Jones used as the subject of the The Colorado Experiment, then I believe it. Obviously not as big as Casey - who was huge - but at least an experienced lifter with much more muscle on his frame than he had at the start of the endeavor.

I personally favor low volume routines, as I've seen great results with strength retention and even increases in a few lifts as I've been on a slow cut since March. Further, since I'm running again, my recovery doesn't seem to suffer as much as it did as when I was going really high volume stuff.
Thanks. I've been bigger. The last six months I may have lifted once per week (or less) with 5-6 days of cardio. Might give it a try.
highland145 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Thoughts on this.
i dont believe that shit for a second.

in that link you post, not only did he gain it in 4 weeks, he gained it by doing 2 30 minute workouts a week.

that is 4 hours total in a month.

i don't buy it for a second.
purbeast0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
irishScott
Lifer

He comes off as honest, and even if some of it is overblown a lot of what he talks about seems to check out. At least from a basic health standpoint.

What he's done is compiled a detailed general guide to nutrition/health delivered in a comprehensive and friendly, almost non-academic manner. Makes it more accessible and enjoyable to the average person.
irishScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #11
Malfeas

Quote:

It also helped that Casey Viator was taking heavy doses of vitamin (D)ianabol, and that he went to another gym and worked with free weights after his sessions with Arthur Jones.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Epicurus
Malfeas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
McWatt

Doctor Oz may sometimes refer to reality, but never believe anything he says without researching it further. He's one of the biggest anti-science, pro-magic personalities in the world.

He promotes psychic healing, healing of any disease through drinking vials of pure water (homeopathy), and all sorts of other pretend treatments.

He's frequently recognized publicly for his war against science. For instance:

"The Media Pigasus Award goes to Dr. Mehmet Oz, who has done such a disservice to his TV viewers by promoting quack medical practices that he is now the first person to win a Pigasus two years in a row. Dr. Oz is a Harvard-educated cardiac physician who, through his syndicated TV show, has promoted faith healing, "energy medicine," and other quack theories that have no scientific basis. Oz has appeared on ABC News to give legitimacy to the claims of Brazilian faith healer “John of God,” who uses old carnival tricks to take money from the seriously ill. He's hosted Ayurvedic guru Yogi Cameron on his show to promote nonsense "tongue examination" as a way of diagnosing health problems. This year, he really went off the deep end. In March 2011, Dr. Oz endorsed "psychic" huckster and past Pigasus winner John Edward, who pretends to talk to dead people. Oz even suggested that bereaved families should visit psychic mediums to receive (faked) messages from their dead relatives as a form of grief counseling." http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/...asus-2011.html
McWatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #13
irishScott
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McWatt View Post
Doctor Oz may sometimes refer to reality, but never believe anything he says without researching it further. He's one of the biggest anti-science, pro-magic personalities in the world.

He promotes psychic healing, healing of any disease through drinking vials of pure water (homeopathy), and all sorts of other pretend treatments.

He's frequently recognized publicly for his war against science. For instance:

"The Media Pigasus Award goes to Dr. Mehmet Oz, who has done such a disservice to his TV viewers by promoting quack medical practices that he is now the first person to win a Pigasus two years in a row. Dr. Oz is a Harvard-educated cardiac physician who, through his syndicated TV show, has promoted faith healing, "energy medicine," and other quack theories that have no scientific basis. Oz has appeared on ABC News to give legitimacy to the claims of Brazilian faith healer “John of God,” who uses old carnival tricks to take money from the seriously ill. He's hosted Ayurvedic guru Yogi Cameron on his show to promote nonsense "tongue examination" as a way of diagnosing health problems. This year, he really went off the deep end. In March 2011, Dr. Oz endorsed "psychic" huckster and past Pigasus winner John Edward, who pretends to talk to dead people. Oz even suggested that bereaved families should visit psychic mediums to receive (faked) messages from their dead relatives as a form of grief counseling." http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/...asus-2011.html
Meh, I've read the YOU books and none of that stuff is in there.

Also I'm not sure how legit that Pigasus is. http://homeopathyresource.wordpress....ys-o-magazine/

Quote:
Under ‘MY RECOMMENDATION’ Dr. Oz says: “Acupuncture and homeopathy are worth considering as adjunct therapies once you are sure that the headache is not a sign of serious disorder.”
So he's saying they could be useful once you've ruled out traditional medical problems. And for things like headaches, they very much may be, even if homeopathy is essentially the placebo effect.

Last edited by irishScott; 07-05-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #14
irishScott
Lifer

On second thought, maybe he has become a bit of a quack.
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Dr-Oz-Says-1030667.aspx

He can't explain how the guy could obtain a list of people who bought tickets and their seat numbers, do some googling and mask it by asking the person next to them? Seriously?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #15
iluvdeal
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishScott View Post
On second thought, maybe he has become a bit of a quack.
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Dr-Oz-Says-1030667.aspx

He can't explain how the guy could obtain a list of people who bought tickets and their seat numbers, do some googling and mask it by asking the person next to them? Seriously?
Stuff like this is bound to happen. For TV shows like his, you can only do so many episodes where you dispense the same advice of eating right and exercise. The audience will grow tired of hearing the same message all the time. The TV season is very long and there's a lot of episodes to fill, so guys like John Edwards become attractive to book. Oprah had her freak show episodes, I expect the same on the Dr. Oz show.
iluvdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #16
skace
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdeal View Post
Stuff like this is bound to happen. For TV shows like his, you can only do so many episodes where you dispense the same advice of eating right and exercise. The audience will grow tired of hearing the same message all the time. The TV season is very long and there's a lot of episodes to fill, so guys like John Edwards become attractive to book. Oprah had her freak show episodes, I expect the same on the Dr. Oz show.
The Dog Whisperer constantly disperses the exact same advice and the show never really grows old. In fact, the fascinating aspect is that the same advice is constantly true. It's like continuously testing a hypothesis.

If I had a show on getting healthy, you damn well believe I'd be trying to apply the same rule to every person as often as possible. Proving it is true time and time again is really what drives the nail home and shows people that ultimately their own mindset is what holds them back on a continuous life long basis.

And honestly, that geek to freak website is such a fucking joke. The guy is in GREAT shape in the original photos, yet calls himself a "geek" to make it ok. I honestly don't know if he gained new muscle, old muscle, or how he did it, but he isn't his target audience and he is providing 0 guarantee that his target audience will get to where they want to be following his guide.
skace is offline   Reply With Quote