· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 06-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
nanette1985
Diamond Member

Default Is there a microwave popcorn that pops all of the kernels?

Or is there a microwave that pops all the kernels in the microwave popcorn package?

I hate those unpopped hard kernels.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
Saint Nick
Lifer

The little, burned, un-popped kernels are the best part!
Saint Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
Homerboy
Lifer

IMO, the less kernels popped in the microwave the better. That stuff SUCKS.
Give me oil popped or give me nothing.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
lxskllr
Lifer

It's virtually impossible. You'll always get slacker kernels,, regardless of popping method. Doing it the manual way, you can adjust a bit, and get more to pop but you'll never get them all.
lxskllr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
HardcoreRobot
Lifer

its not the microwave, its the corn.
HardcoreRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
gaidensensei
Banned

According to this, the kernel popping mechanism is moisture-dependent, and some of that is done by the manufacturing process.

So after reading this, generally speaking, to improve the kernel popping ratio successfully, fresher packages are recommended.
gaidensensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
Taejin
Love & Relationships

Ida,

I think the idea is that each kernel pops at a certain pressure they reach once heated to a certain temperature.

However, all kernels are not necessarily made equal, and therefore may require different pressures to reach popping, although most kernels are quite similar to one another, as the majority of kernels do become popcorn. Furthermore, it is likely that there are variations of temperature due to microwaving that cause kernels to pop differently too.

Because of this, any outlier kernels that take too long to pop or require higher temperature/pressure (and therefore take too long to pop) will result in the other popcorn burning or becoming distasteful to eat.

HAVE A NICE DAY
Old 06-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
CycloWizard
Lifer

Popping time is basically normally distributed as a result of the random variation in kernel moisture, location in the bag, and others. You can pop every kernel, but not without burning the premature poppers.

Anything is possible when you don't know what you're talking about.
CycloWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
Raizinman
Golden Member

I've found that refrigerating the microwave popcorn packets prior to microwaving helps to almost/sometimes popping all the kernals. Supposedly the shock from cold to hot helps pop all the kernals. Also, leaving the popcorn packets out (even though sealed) removes a small amount of the moisture needed to pop the corn. Try putting the packets in the fridge or even the freezer a day before popping. Seems to taste better too, (fresher).
Raizinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
Fritzo
Lifer

Act II seems to pop the best. Something about the type of oil they put in the back. Be sure to shake the package before putting it in the microwave.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
Gibson486
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizinman View Post
I've found that refrigerating the microwave popcorn packets prior to microwaving helps to almost/sometimes popping all the kernals. Supposedly the shock from cold to hot helps pop all the kernals. Also, leaving the popcorn packets out (even though sealed) removes a small amount of the moisture needed to pop the corn. Try putting the packets in the fridge or even the freezer a day before popping. Seems to taste better too, (fresher).
this is my next project

There's your sugar...and there's your culture.

"Getting enough idiots together to demonstrate consensus on a ludicrous idea in order to help justify it is for Congress not real life... "-MWilding

Gibson486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
spidey07
No Lifer

Kernal Cat will ensure microwaved product consistency and total kernal pop by monitoring output power, adjusting accordingly using cat hearing to count every pop.

(")_(")
spidey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #13
Drako
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizinman View Post
We freeze our MW popcorn, and it seems to pop better for some reason.
Drako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #14
BurnItDwn
Lifer

If you put them in like an hour, you'll probably get them to all pop, but they will also likely all be burned to a crisp, and it's likely your microwave would catch on fire much sooner than that.
BurnItDwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #15
coldmeat
Diamond Member

I made a bag the other night, because I didn't feel like making it on the stove. I'm pretty sure it was Orville brand, called something like "white corn with real butter". It was actually pretty good, and there was only 4 unpopped kernels, with the rest popped perfectly.

coldmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #16
bobdole369
Diamond Member

It's both. Old stale corn doesn't pop so well. And weak pussy microwaves won't pop anything. The microwave here at work will catch your bag of popcorn on FIRE if you leave it in for more than 3mins30. However I HAVE had an old bag only half-pop. Usually you can see oil leak through the paper on the really old ones. That being said - there is ALWAYS a couple unpopped ones. Its the way it works. Usually though the microwave hr at work will always give you a full, tight, (almost overfull) bag of solidly popped fluffy popcorn. At home - not so much.

Administration of a drug to an addict will cause re-establishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance. Quit smoking and using nicotine in ***all*** its forms today.
bobdole369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #17
Macamus Prime
Diamond Member

It's a plot to screw you all over. The unpopped kernals are MADE that way. They absorb heat and use up energy, but do not pop and you STILL pay for that energy.

The utilities companies have set it up so that the collective kernals NOT popping, allow the companies to charge and have you PAY for energy that was intentionally directed to an uppopable kernal.

Trillions in profits are made - millions of people oppressed and enslaved to the wills and ways of a capitalist ploy to squeeze more money out of the hard worker.

Of course,... it could just be the way things are. Or, you need to find the sweel spot of popping popcorn in a Microwave. I don't go by the packaging requirements. I add 15 seconds and find that very few kernals are not popped.
Macamus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #18
gorcorps
aka Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drako View Post
We freeze our MW popcorn, and it seems to pop better for some reason.
I may be wrong as my thermo is rusty (and it's never been good in the first place), but I believe the ideal gas law assuming constant volume may explain why more seem to pop cold than at room temp. The kernals that take a higher pressure to pop may actually reach that pressure if the temp difference if larger. P2 = P1(T2/T1)

Since T1 is now lower in the fridge or freezer and P1 stays the same, P2 will be larger thus popping more kernals than normal.

That's right, we just went there. Somebody confirm.
gorcorps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #19
herm0016
Diamond Member

microwave sucks. it is very easy to use a sauce pan with a bit of oil inthe bottom. much tastier too.
herm0016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #20
bobdole369
Diamond Member

hot air poppers are a neat novelty too. You get very few if any unpopped ones. Also. I'm a HUGE fan of oil popping. Its really easy to do, you can get crazy good high-end gourmet style corn from the internetz, and its MUCH better than any bag in the nuke-ro-wave. All it takes is a big pot (dutch oven for the purists) with a lid, some oil (I prefer coconut oil in popcorn, but soybean, rapeseed, corn, or olive would work just as well). 5 minutes on high and shake like you got a disease until done. Really only need to jiggle to keep the unpopped ones coming down through the popped corn to the heat again. It isn't really to keep the popped ones from burning.

Administration of a drug to an addict will cause re-establishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance. Quit smoking and using nicotine in ***all*** its forms today.
bobdole369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #21
herm0016
Diamond Member

olive oil has a pretty low smoke point, better to use something with a high smoke point. the only reason you need oil it to help transfer heat into the kernals.
herm0016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #22
nanette1985
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macamus Prime View Post
It's a plot to screw you all over. The unpopped kernals are MADE that way. They absorb heat and use up energy, but do not pop and you STILL pay for that energy.

The utilities companies have set it up so that the collective kernals NOT popping, allow the companies to charge and have you PAY for energy that was intentionally directed to an uppopable kernal.

Trillions in profits are made - millions of people oppressed and enslaved to the wills and ways of a capitalist ploy to squeeze more money out of the hard worker.

Of course,... it could just be the way things are. Or, you need to find the sweel spot of popping popcorn in a Microwave. I don't go by the packaging requirements. I add 15 seconds and find that very few kernals are not popped.
Aha! I KNEW it! My tinfoil hat should protect me while popping, though, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorcorps View Post
I may be wrong as my thermo is rusty (and it's never been good in the first place), but I believe the ideal gas law assuming constant volume may explain why more seem to pop cold than at room temp. The kernals that take a higher pressure to pop may actually reach that pressure if the temp difference if larger. P2 = P1(T2/T1)

Since T1 is now lower in the fridge or freezer and P1 stays the same, P2 will be larger thus popping more kernals than normal.

That's right, we just went there. Somebody confirm.
I get all hot and excited thinking about science in the kitchen .

Quote:
Originally Posted by herm0016 View Post
microwave sucks. it is very easy to use a sauce pan with a bit of oil inthe bottom. much tastier too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole369 View Post
hot air poppers are a neat novelty too. You get very few if any unpopped ones. Also. I'm a HUGE fan of oil popping. Its really easy to do, you can get crazy good high-end gourmet style corn from the internetz, and its MUCH better than any bag in the nuke-ro-wave. All it takes is a big pot (dutch oven for the purists) with a lid, some oil (I prefer coconut oil in popcorn, but soybean, rapeseed, corn, or olive would work just as well). 5 minutes on high and shake like you got a disease until done. Really only need to jiggle to keep the unpopped ones coming down through the popped corn to the heat again. It isn't really to keep the popped ones from burning.
I know. But sometimes I'm LAZY. Sorry.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #23
Homerboy
Lifer

http://www.amazon.com/West-Bend-8230.../dp/B00004RC6R

I dont think our family could live without one.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #24
Oyeve
Lifer

Those MW popcorn smell like vomit. Just sayin'.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #25
vi edit
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess ida View Post
Aha! I KNEW it! My tinfoil hat should protect me while popping, though, right?
That's the great thing about Jiffy Pop. You get a free tin foil hat with every purchase!

Tags
i searched, popcorn, unpopped