Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals
· Free Stuff
· Contests and Sweepstakes
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 09-12-2008, 07:49 AM   #1
xeemzor
Platinum Member

Default Will netbooks take away a big slice of the laptop market?

It seems to me that a netbook can do 90% of what most people want to do on the run for half the cost. If you need desktop functionality, it's fairly easy to just plug into a montior and keyboard if you want that kind of experiance. What incentive is there for people to purchase $400-600 computers, when they can just get a netbook?

I know that my aspire one has pretty much turned my macbookpro into a pseduo-desktop.
xeemzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
xSauronx
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: xeemzor
It seems to me that a netbook can do 90% of what most people want to do on the run for half the cost. If you need desktop functionality, it's fairly easy to just plug into a montior and keyboard if you want that kind of experiance. What incentive is there for people to purchase $400-600 computers, when they can just get a netbook?

I know that my aspire one has pretty much turned my macbookpro into a pseduo-desktop.
i think most people would stay away from a netbook as their sole/primary machine. not all, but most. ideally, if my budget had allowed, id have a quad-core desktop with a large LCD, and a netbook.

it didnt allow it, so i got a thinkpad.

its powerful enough to do what i want (i dont game, but i do run VMs some, and multi-task A LOT) but the size is small enough for taking around easily, and large enough for comfortable extended use. i wouldnt be comfortable on a netbook all the time, as I would feel very, very cramped, on desktop space, and on the keyboard

Heatware |
xSauronx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
pukemon

I use my AA1 for pretty specific purposes - for running network diagnostics and to SSH into my servers at work (which are headless). The little keyboard is good enough to type short email messages on, but I'm not going to type up a report on it, that's what my aging work-provided boat anchor of a computer is for, well until they issue me a new one in November...

At home, even though my regular-sized notebooks are plugged in 90% of the time, I'd still rather have the bigger screen, higher resolution, full size keyboard, and a full blown Core 2 Duo to do anything more than type email and surf the web on. I think that's the general consensus. One of these days I'd like a crazy-ass desktop rig like you read about in the other forums here, even though I know I don't need it...
pukemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
Brainonska511
Lifer

I could see a netbook having its place in my life - checking e-mail and browsing the web when I have a half hour between classes, but I just couldn't see using it as a primary computer. Even if I had a desktop, I think I'd still rather have a laptop on the side, just because of the larger hard drive, more comfortable keyboard, and better screen (nothing about 14" though).
Heatware My Flickr
Brainonska511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
IlllI
Diamond Member

they arent half the cost. i've seen $399 laptops after rebate all the time.
IlllI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:47 PM   #6
xeemzor
Platinum Member

Considering I got my aspire one for $250+tax, that's pretty much near half of what the $400AR laptop costs.
xeemzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
xSauronx
Lifer

Quote:
Considering I got my aspire one for $250+tax, that's pretty much near half of what the $400AR laptop costs.
its over 60%, and it still doesnt change the fact that most people wouldnt be comfortable with such a small machine as their primary computer. sure theyre probably damn useful (like i said, id prefer a netbook and a nice desktop) but theyre not for everyone, and price isnt the only factor in purchases

Heatware |
xSauronx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:35 PM   #8
IlllI
Diamond Member

Quote:

oh i'm sorry. i was thinking of the better ones with the 10in screens and such. not the el' cheapo crappy ones

but here i found one thats less than half what you paid for yours http://www.engadget.com/2008/0...89-easypc-e760-laptop/

i'm sure the introduction of it will eat heavily into the more fully features ones already in the market

IlllI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:07 PM   #9
esun
Platinum Member

My dad intends to purchase one and use it has his primary computer. However, when not traveling, he'll attach a full-size keyboard, mouse, and monitor, making it effectively like a desktop in terms of user I/O. I don't see this becoming common, however, since people are too enticed by these $500 17" notebooks thinking bigger is better, not realizing that they'll never carry it around for travel because it is so large (my dad purchased a 15.4" laptop and it almost never leaves his desk because it is too large to be convenient).
Old 09-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #10
corkyg
Peripherals

I don't see them cutting in to existing notebook/laptop market share, but rather carving out a niche in the forward growth area that includes laptops and tablets.

I for one, would probably be interested in one as an additional asset for on the road work - which relates mostly to digital photography work. My laptop is my darkroom, and burning DVDs is a requirement for me on the road.

BTW - I once had a 17-in Gateway - good machine - but never again. Too big for travel use. I find 14-in to be my sweetspot at present.

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
corkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:21 AM   #11
frostedflakes
Diamond Member

If anything, I could see them maybe helping desktop sales. More people might go the desktop + netbook route, as opposed to having a powerful laptop meant for home and mobile use.