· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 04-30-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
yacoub
Golden Member

Question What happened to ZipZoomFly?

Figured General Hardware is the best place to ask since some of you will be familiar with the site.

Over the last year or two, when I've gone to their site to see prices on GPUs or other hot products, their search function doesn't return any results and if I use the left side filtering dropdowns I see that pretty much nothing of the latest generation or two of hardware is in stock, if it's even listed at all.

ZZF used to be a strong competitor to NewEgg back in 2005-2007. I looked at my purchase history there and can see I bought quite a few parts from them during that time period including GPUs, CPUs, motherboards, etc, which means they had better pricing or shipping costs than NewEgg.

It's just kinda sad to see their site today with hardly any inventory and I wonder why they're languishing like that and what happened. Curious if anyone knows.

Thanks.
yacoub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
Majic 7

Don't why it's so but it's been like that for quite a while. I'm surprised they are still around. Everytime I've gone there they just don't have any stock. It's been about two years since I bought anything there.

Last edited by Majic 7; 04-30-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Majic 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
corkyg
Peripherals

They always been one of my f avorite suppliers. But, they are in trouble. The current business model has no inventory - orders probably lead to supply links. It5's a tough world out there in computer hardware. Low margins and free shipping are competitive killers.

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
corkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
MarkLuvsCS

It's true it appears they may be fading away. I remember using them when they were googlegears before the lawsuits had them change names. They used to be my first place to shop but honestly newegg just offers a lot of good bargins and tons of free shipping. ZZF used to have free second day on a lot of their smaller items and that used to be enough of an allure to buy there. I prefer to do all my shopping through one entity and newegg is hard to beat. They typically have the best normal prices for everything.

I try to hunt down some hot deals but typically if they aren't ludicrously cheaper than NE I just order from there. They have deals often enough that I know if I can wait a few weeks I'll likely find a sale price saving a decent chunk and not have to shop elsewhere.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Blain
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkyg View Post
They always been one of my favorite suppliers. But, they are in trouble.
I said the same thing about Value America... may she rest in peace.
I loved those "Value Dollars"!
Old 04-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
yacoub
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLuvsCS View Post
It's true it appears they may be fading away. I remember using them when they were googlegears before the lawsuits had them change names. They used to be my first place to shop but honestly newegg just offers a lot of good bargins and tons of free shipping. ZZF used to have free second day on a lot of their smaller items and that used to be enough of an allure to buy there. I prefer to do all my shopping through one entity and newegg is hard to beat. They typically have the best normal prices for everything.

I try to hunt down some hot deals but typically if they aren't ludicrously cheaper than NE I just order from there. They have deals often enough that I know if I can wait a few weeks I'll likely find a sale price saving a decent chunk and not have to shop elsewhere.
Yep, I remember their old name, GoogleGear. The shipping was a good deal and often put them ahead of NewEgg on prices.

fwiw, I hardly buy anything at NewEgg because their prices are usually just so-so and their shipping usually ruins it.
Amazon has come a long way in the last few years for computer hardware and practically every part of my last build (just over a year ago) was ordered there.
yacoub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
dac7nco

ZZF got slammed for rebate fraud, and managed to screw me in the process. If I saw one of their employees crossing the street I wouldn't hit my brakes.

Daimon
4: Thecus N8850 - 16TB RAID-10, Intel X540-T1
dac7nco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
Vincent
Platinum Member

I'm still waiting for a couple rebates from them. They're almost a year overdue.
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
RU482
Lifer

walmart....I mean newegg is beating them up for their lunch money
RU482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #10
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacoub View Post
Yep, I remember their old name, GoogleGear. The shipping was a good deal and often put them ahead of NewEgg on prices.

fwiw, I hardly buy anything at NewEgg because their prices are usually just so-so and their shipping usually ruins it.
Amazon has come a long way in the last few years for computer hardware and practically every part of my last build (just over a year ago) was ordered there.
Amazon still has a long way to go when it comes to researching parts though. It's fine if you know the exact model number that you want, but it's damn near impossible if you only know what specs you want. Newegg still has the best site around for doing research and I feel kinda dirty just using that and not buying from them.
mfenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:03 PM   #11
Bonesdad
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfenn View Post
Amazon still has a long way to go when it comes to researching parts though. It's fine if you know the exact model number that you want, but it's damn near impossible if you only know what specs you want. Newegg still has the best site around for doing research and I feel kinda dirty just using that and not buying from them.
really? I have no issue with that at all. Not to say I never buy from newegg, I do, and plenty. But if another retailer has a better price, that's where I go.

Sorry to hear about ZZF, they were one of my faves too. Never had a rebate issue with them personally. Always prompt service and shipping.

heat = 3-0-0 Ebay = 71-0-0
Bonesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #12
Jhatfie

Yeah next to NewEgg, ZZF was my second favorite place to shop for computer gear for a long time. Always offered great service and fast shipping with competitive pricing. I actually ordered a replacement motherboard from them the other day as they were $20 cheaper than anywhere else on it. But they certainly seem to be fading fast, there is almost nothing in stock.
System 1: i7-4770k (4.6Ghz), Cooler Master Glacer 240L, Gigabyte GA-Z97X G7, 16GB Gskill Sniper, MSI GTX 780ti Gaming(1206/7800), 256GB Adata SX900, 1TB Samsung F3 w/Crucial M4 64GB (cache), Lepa G900-MA, Corsair AIR 540, HP ZR30w + ZR24w
HTPC: i5-2500k (4.5Ghz), CM GeminII M4, EVGA Z68 SLIMicro, 8GB Gskill Ripjaw, Sapphire HD 7850 (1200/1425), Kingston HyperX 240GB, 1TB Samsung F3, Ceton InfiniTV 4, Rosewill CAPSTONE 550-M, Denon AVR-1910, Silverstone GD04B, Panasonic 55" ST30
Jhatfie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
BoomerD
Lifer

ZZF went to shit several years ago. Prices stopped being competitive with the other major e-tailers, customer service went into the toilet, plus the rebate scam issue. I don't think I've done any business with them since 2005-06.
BoomerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #14
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesdad View Post
really? I have no issue with that at all. Not to say I never buy from newegg, I do, and plenty. But if another retailer has a better price, that's where I go.
It just feels wrong to me, but then again, I feel bad if I stop at a gas station to take a piss and don't buy anything.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #15
Rvenger
VC&G Moderator

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/ZipZoomFly

First Post

"No Avatar
victimzzf
rating 1 1/5
modified review posted Mar-24-2011

As seen from other forum, http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal...ssion/1062123/
the company will soon be closed down. It's too bad if you haven't got your rebate.

"Notice of trustee's sale recently recorded (see paste below) for the real estate at 39889 Eureka Drive. Don't know if ZZF owns the building, but it was ZZF's rebate address previously.

...WILL SELL AT PUBLIC AUCTION TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER FOR CASH (payable at time of sale in lawful money of the United States, by cash, a cashier's check drawn by a state or national bank, a check drawn by a state or federal credit union, or a check drawn by a state or federal savings and loan association, savings association, or savings bank specified in section 5102 of the Financial Code and authorized to do business in this state). At: the Fallon Street entrance to the County Courthouse, 1225 Fallon Street, Oakland, CA all right, title and interest conveyed to and now held by it under said Deed of Trust in the property situated in said County, California describing the land therein: PARCEL 2, PARCEL MAP 7552, FILED JULY 20, 2000, BOOK 252 OF PARCEL MAPS, PAGE 48, ALAMEDA COUNTY RECORDS. The street address and other common designation, if any, of the real property described above is purported to be: 39889 Eureka Drive, Newark, CA 94560" "
Old 05-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #16
wwswimming
Banned

ZZF used to be like Newegg - big stock, great prices.

especially when it was Googlegear.

i always wondered about that name change. i heard Apple paid $4 million + for the iCloud.com domain name.

i wonder if Google paid Googlegear to give up that domain name.
wwswimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #17
ahenkel
Diamond Member

Hmm last thing I bought from them was an H50 off their Ebay store about a year ago. Got a decent deal but the did screw me on the rebate by saying ebay purchases don't count. It was only 10 bucks though so no big lose.
Live in the U.S.A.
At least the foreigners
Can copy our morality
ahenkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #18
gevorg
Diamond Member

I think Google threatened rather than paid them to give up Googlegear.
gevorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #19
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
...WILL SELL AT PUBLIC AUCTION TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER FOR CASH
RIP ZZF :rose:
Old 05-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #20
Rvenger
VC&G Moderator

I used to buy from them along with Newegg for my computer builds in the past.

I bet next is gonna be Mwave. (hopes not)
Old 05-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #21
Zap
Super Moderator
Off Topic
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gevorg View Post
I think Google threatened rather than paid them to give up Googlegear.
This is what I recall, but who knows if that was the real story (if Google paid, if ZZF paid damages, whatever).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
I bet next is gonna be Mwave. (hopes not)
Why?

SSD turns duds into studs. (JBT)
Zap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #22
Rvenger
VC&G Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
This is what I recall, but who knows if that was the real story (if Google paid, if ZZF paid damages, whatever).

Why?

Well, I take that back. I checked resellerratings and they are at a 9.28. In the past they were like a 5 and took forever to ship. Glad to see a good company fix it's issues and survive.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #23
boej@nyc.rr.com

Default what happend to ZZF

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZipZoomfly

Claims of Fraud
Several customers have confirmed [4] ZipZoomFly of committing 'rebate fraud' or promising good deals on technology once rebates are applied. Several reports have indicated that the company often fails to follow up on rebates, often making false claims of refunding money lost through rebate fraud.[5]
On January 5, 2011 this company's Better Business Bureau (BBB) accreditation was revoked due to failure to respond to one or more customer complaints filed with the BBB.[6]
As of November 2011, the company's BBB rating was once again listed as their highest rating: A+. Their web site has been continuously marked "closed for maintenance" since August 21, 2011.
As of March 2012, the website has been updated to read:
"Dear ZipZoomFly shoppers, We apologize for the inconvenience. Please come back later. Thank you - NM80"
boej@nyc.rr.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #24
Skott
Diamond Member

I remember when ZZF was better than NE. Shame to see them out of the business.
-SG03 Case, Corsair H50, 1 - 120mm Scythe S-Flex SFF21F Case Fan, Corsair HX520w, Intel i5 750, GA P55M-UD2, 4GB GSkill RAM, Gigabyte GTX460, Lite-On LH20A1H, WD6401AALS 640GB HDD, X-Fi XtremeGamer, XP Pro SP2, Logitech G5,Saitek Eclipse II, 22" 1680x1050 LCD
-Lian-Li V354, 4-Noctua NF-P12 120mm fans, ASUS P8P67-M Pro, 8GB GSkill RAM, Intel i5 2500K, Corsair H50, WD Black 1TB HDD, Optiarch Slim ODD, ATI 6950, Corsair HX850w, W7 Pro 64, Logitech G5, Saitek Eclipse II, I-INC 28" 1900x1200 LCD
Skott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #25
AE-Ruffy

ZZF is still around? Last time I checked they were gone/dead.

Just ordered from NCIX, not sure I like the layout, card still hasen't been charged. don't know if order truly went through.

Newegg has always ruled for the layout/browsing.
Amazon beats them in price most of the time, even with Shoprunner.
AE-Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote