· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 04-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Default 7" Tablet With Excel-Compatible Spreadsheet Software?

I had someone ask me for product advice, and I'm a little out of my element here.

They're looking for a 6"-7" tablet that can run a spreadsheet package that is Excel compatible. It needs to have WiFi, but cellular connectivity is not necessary.

After thumbing through some devices, the Galaxy Tab seems to be the right size, but as I don't regularly use Android I'm not sure where it stands on the software side of things. Are there any spreadsheet programs for Android that are suitable for use on a tablet? That is, they make appropriate use of the screen and aren't just a magnified phone application with equally little space to display cells.

And for that matter, is there any other hardware I'm overlooking? The Galaxy Tab seems a bit overkill since cellular data isn't a necessity. Certainly a Tab sans cellular would be cheaper.
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
ViRGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
Oyeve
Lifer

Thinkfree office is the only ms office app that come to mind.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
PuppettMaster001
Golden Member

You could probably just go for the Nook Color as it has everything you are looking for.

Quickoffice: https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

or

Documents to Go:https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
Old 04-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
poofyhairguy
Diamond Member

I use this version of Quickoffice HD on my Nook Color for a while now:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=934916

Works perfectly and is exactly what you want.
poofyhairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
WelshBloke
Lifer

Does price matter?

HTC Flyer.
WelshBloke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshBloke View Post
Does price matter?

HTC Flyer.
To an extent, yeah. A $900 device probably won't fly.
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
Old 04-04-2011, 12:27 AM   #7
Patranus
Diamond Member

Numbers for iPad.
Patranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #8
BoT

for office productivity, the build in quick office works well, for more check out
DocumentsToGo

Viewsonic has released some nice tablets too. i really like the Viewsonic G. Runs on the Nvidia Tegra 2 and performance wise blows just about anything else out right now out the water but the screen is not so great.
the Viewsonic ViewTab 10 is also interesting. runs on an Atom 455 and dual boots android and win 7, there you go with full support for excel
Old 04-04-2011, 04:15 AM   #9
DivideBYZero
Banned

The BlackBerry PlayBook comes with the full Documents To Go package installed out of the box. Does Excel, Powerpoint, word, etc.
DivideBYZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:41 AM   #10
TSDible
Golden Member

I would also be concerned as to what level of compatability is needed... Is it just a simple spreadsheet?

Or are there macros and such that run as well?

Heat
TSDible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
simonizor
Golden Member

If you don't have to have a device that's extremely thin and extremely lightweight, the eee pc tablet could work for you. It's $430 at buy.com, and it has Windows 7 Starter, so it should be able to run office. It's 2.86lbs and it's 1.22" thick, so it's not as small as an android tablet or the iPad, but it's definitely very portable.

http://www.buy.com/prod/asus-eee-pc-...214937659.html

Last edited by simonizor; 04-04-2011 at 05:29 PM.
simonizor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #12
shortylickens
No Lifer

Are they planning to type in this spreadsheet, or just view it?
Cuz I been playing with a lot of tablets lately and in all honesty it would be better to get a small laptop or netbook. I really dont think they will be getting much work done on a tablet with Android or iOS on it. Or WebOS. Something tells me this person wants the tablet for the same reason everyone else wants one: They are cute toys and they wanna justify buying one by trying to find practical applications.

But for the money, power, and software compatibility a small laptop is a much better deal than any current tablet.

Maybe next generation tablets will be good for real work, but not yet.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:41 AM   #13
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSDible View Post
I would also be concerned as to what level of compatability is needed... Is it just a simple spreadsheet?

Or are there macros and such that run as well?
It's just a simple spreadsheet as far as I've been told; walk past a machine, record some values, move on. Macros and other complex functionality were not specified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortylickens View Post
Are they planning to type in this spreadsheet, or just view it?
Cuz I been playing with a lot of tablets lately and in all honesty it would be better to get a small laptop or netbook. I really dont think they will be getting much work done on a tablet with Android or iOS on it. Or WebOS. Something tells me this person wants the tablet for the same reason everyone else wants one: They are cute toys and they wanna justify buying one by trying to find practical applications.

But for the money, power, and software compatibility a small laptop is a much better deal than any current tablet.

Maybe next generation tablets will be good for real work, but not yet.
It's to replace their clipboards while doing rounds, so there will be data input. I've already suggested netbooks and that has been shot down as it's not practical to do any data input while standing. Ultimately what they want to do is to ditch the clipboards and go paperless so that they don't have to do a bunch of data entry at the end of the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideBYZero View Post
The BlackBerry PlayBook comes with the full Documents To Go package installed out of the box. Does Excel, Powerpoint, word, etc.
Ahh, I had totally forgotten about the Playbook. Will it be available (and will it worK) without a cellular contract?

Last edited by ViRGE; 04-05-2011 at 03:45 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:29 AM   #14
shortylickens
No Lifer

Good luck with all that.
Tablets are just big smartphones. The only reason they succeeded at all is cuz of Americas obsession with phones.
Back when we had real tablets nobody bought them, and those were full computers.

If you got people who think they are gonna use a tablet as a work machine something tells me they need to see for themselves. Get them an Android device and pay for a good Office program. When they come back in a month to return the things you can rub their noses in it.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:35 AM   #15
DivideBYZero
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViRGE View Post
It's to replace their clipboards while doing rounds, so there will be data input. I've already suggested netbooks and that has been shot down as it's not practical to do any data input while standing. Ultimately what they want to do is to ditch the clipboards and go paperless so that they don't have to do a bunch of data entry at the end of the day.

Ahh, I had totally forgotten about the Playbook. Will it be available (and will it worK) without a cellular contract?
Yep, WiFi only version that requires zero contract is up for pre-order with Apr 19th delivery at Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot, etc.

Sounds like just the device, small enough to carry for a long time and light @ just under a pound, which will matter when you're carrying it all day long. Imagine doing that with the three pound joke someone suggested.

Last edited by DivideBYZero; 04-05-2011 at 05:38 AM.
DivideBYZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:29 AM   #16
Capt Caveman
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortylickens View Post
Good luck with all that.
Tablets are just big smartphones. The only reason they succeeded at all is cuz of Americas obsession with phones.
Back when we had real tablets nobody bought them, and those were full computers.

If you got people who think they are gonna use a tablet as a work machine something tells me they need to see for themselves. Get them an Android device and pay for a good Office program. When they come back in a month to return the things you can rub their noses in it.
Yeah, tell all of those Doctors that use iPads now.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #17
Capt Caveman
Lifer

Another option based on wifi/cellular connectivity, is using a RDP solution like TeamViewer on a tablet to connect to their desktop/work pc. I use it all the time on my gf's iPad to do stuff on my work/home pcs.