Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Consumer Electronics > Mobile Devices & Gadgets

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member
 
ViRGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 30,226
Default 7" Tablet With Excel-Compatible Spreadsheet Software?

I had someone ask me for product advice, and I'm a little out of my element here.

They're looking for a 6"-7" tablet that can run a spreadsheet package that is Excel compatible. It needs to have WiFi, but cellular connectivity is not necessary.

After thumbing through some devices, the Galaxy Tab seems to be the right size, but as I don't regularly use Android I'm not sure where it stands on the software side of things. Are there any spreadsheet programs for Android that are suitable for use on a tablet? That is, they make appropriate use of the screen and aren't just a magnified phone application with equally little space to display cells.

And for that matter, is there any other hardware I'm overlooking? The Galaxy Tab seems a bit overkill since cellular data isn't a necessity. Certainly a Tab sans cellular would be cheaper.
__________________
ViRGE
Team Anandtech: Assimilating a computer near you!
GameStop - An upscale specialized pawnshop that happens to sell new games on the side
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
ViRGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
Oyeve
Lifer
 
Oyeve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,813
Default

Thinkfree office is the only ms office app that come to mind.
__________________
My Heat
Oyeve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
PuppettMaster001
Golden Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,585
Default

You could probably just go for the Nook Color as it has everything you are looking for.

Quickoffice: https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

or

Documents to Go:https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
__________________
Heatware 95-0-0
Steam/PSN = g1no23
PuppettMaster001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
poofyhairguy
Diamond Member
 
poofyhairguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,356
Default

I use this version of Quickoffice HD on my Nook Color for a while now:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=934916

Works perfectly and is exactly what you want.
poofyhairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
WelshBloke
Lifer
 
WelshBloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 15,866
Default

Does price matter?

HTC Flyer.
WelshBloke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member
 
ViRGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 30,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshBloke View Post
Does price matter?

HTC Flyer.
To an extent, yeah. A $900 device probably won't fly.
__________________
ViRGE
Team Anandtech: Assimilating a computer near you!
GameStop - An upscale specialized pawnshop that happens to sell new games on the side
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
ViRGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:27 AM   #7
Patranus
Diamond Member
 
Patranus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,240
Default

Numbers for iPad.
Patranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #8
BoT
Senior Member
 
BoT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: LACA
Posts: 341
Default

for office productivity, the build in quick office works well, for more check out
DocumentsToGo

Viewsonic has released some nice tablets too. i really like the Viewsonic G. Runs on the Nvidia Tegra 2 and performance wise blows just about anything else out right now out the water but the screen is not so great.
the Viewsonic ViewTab 10 is also interesting. runs on an Atom 455 and dual boots android and win 7, there you go with full support for excel
__________________
Heat
BoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:15 AM   #9
DivideBYZero
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 24,119
Default

The BlackBerry PlayBook comes with the full Documents To Go package installed out of the box. Does Excel, Powerpoint, word, etc.
DivideBYZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:41 AM   #10
TSDible
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 1,684
Default

I would also be concerned as to what level of compatability is needed... Is it just a simple spreadsheet?

Or are there macros and such that run as well?
__________________
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Heat
TSDible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
simonizor
Golden Member
 
simonizor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: WI
Posts: 1,312
Default

If you don't have to have a device that's extremely thin and extremely lightweight, the eee pc tablet could work for you. It's $430 at buy.com, and it has Windows 7 Starter, so it should be able to run office. It's 2.86lbs and it's 1.22" thick, so it's not as small as an android tablet or the iPad, but it's definitely very portable.

http://www.buy.com/prod/asus-eee-pc-...214937659.html

Last edited by simonizor; 04-04-2011 at 05:29 PM.
simonizor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #12
shortylickens
No Lifer
 
shortylickens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 54,870
Default

Are they planning to type in this spreadsheet, or just view it?
Cuz I been playing with a lot of tablets lately and in all honesty it would be better to get a small laptop or netbook. I really dont think they will be getting much work done on a tablet with Android or iOS on it. Or WebOS. Something tells me this person wants the tablet for the same reason everyone else wants one: They are cute toys and they wanna justify buying one by trying to find practical applications.

But for the money, power, and software compatibility a small laptop is a much better deal than any current tablet.

Maybe next generation tablets will be good for real work, but not yet.
__________________
2 Timothy 4:7
shortylickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:41 AM   #13
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member
 
ViRGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 30,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSDible View Post
I would also be concerned as to what level of compatability is needed... Is it just a simple spreadsheet?

Or are there macros and such that run as well?
It's just a simple spreadsheet as far as I've been told; walk past a machine, record some values, move on. Macros and other complex functionality were not specified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortylickens View Post
Are they planning to type in this spreadsheet, or just view it?
Cuz I been playing with a lot of tablets lately and in all honesty it would be better to get a small laptop or netbook. I really dont think they will be getting much work done on a tablet with Android or iOS on it. Or WebOS. Something tells me this person wants the tablet for the same reason everyone else wants one: They are cute toys and they wanna justify buying one by trying to find practical applications.

But for the money, power, and software compatibility a small laptop is a much better deal than any current tablet.

Maybe next generation tablets will be good for real work, but not yet.
It's to replace their clipboards while doing rounds, so there will be data input. I've already suggested netbooks and that has been shot down as it's not practical to do any data input while standing. Ultimately what they want to do is to ditch the clipboards and go paperless so that they don't have to do a bunch of data entry at the end of the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideBYZero View Post
The BlackBerry PlayBook comes with the full Documents To Go package installed out of the box. Does Excel, Powerpoint, word, etc.
Ahh, I had totally forgotten about the Playbook. Will it be available (and will it worK) without a cellular contract?
__________________
ViRGE
Team Anandtech: Assimilating a computer near you!
GameStop - An upscale specialized pawnshop that happens to sell new games on the side
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them

Last edited by ViRGE; 04-05-2011 at 03:45 AM.
ViRGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:29 AM   #14
shortylickens
No Lifer
 
shortylickens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 54,870
Default

Good luck with all that.
Tablets are just big smartphones. The only reason they succeeded at all is cuz of Americas obsession with phones.
Back when we had real tablets nobody bought them, and those were full computers.

If you got people who think they are gonna use a tablet as a work machine something tells me they need to see for themselves. Get them an Android device and pay for a good Office program. When they come back in a month to return the things you can rub their noses in it.
__________________
2 Timothy 4:7
shortylickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:35 AM   #15
DivideBYZero
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 24,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViRGE View Post
It's to replace their clipboards while doing rounds, so there will be data input. I've already suggested netbooks and that has been shot down as it's not practical to do any data input while standing. Ultimately what they want to do is to ditch the clipboards and go paperless so that they don't have to do a bunch of data entry at the end of the day.

Ahh, I had totally forgotten about the Playbook. Will it be available (and will it worK) without a cellular contract?
Yep, WiFi only version that requires zero contract is up for pre-order with Apr 19th delivery at Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot, etc.

Sounds like just the device, small enough to carry for a long time and light @ just under a pound, which will matter when you're carrying it all day long. Imagine doing that with the three pound joke someone suggested.

Last edited by DivideBYZero; 04-05-2011 at 05:38 AM.
DivideBYZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:29 AM   #16
Capt Caveman
Lifer
 
Capt Caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 31,376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortylickens View Post
Good luck with all that.
Tablets are just big smartphones. The only reason they succeeded at all is cuz of Americas obsession with phones.
Back when we had real tablets nobody bought them, and those were full computers.

If you got people who think they are gonna use a tablet as a work machine something tells me they need to see for themselves. Get them an Android device and pay for a good Office program. When they come back in a month to return the things you can rub their noses in it.
Yeah, tell all of those Doctors that use iPads now.
__________________
Adopt a Homeless Pet
Capt Caveman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #17
Capt Caveman
Lifer
 
Capt Caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 31,376
Default

Another option based on wifi/cellular connectivity, is using a RDP solution like TeamViewer on a tablet to connect to their desktop/work pc. I use it all the time on my gf's iPad to do stuff on my work/home pcs.
__________________
Adopt a Homeless Pet
Capt Caveman is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.