· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 03-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
Deeko
Lifer

Default Swype getting worse?

Alright, maybe I'm crazy, but is Swype getting worse with each version?

I've been using Swype since its original beta on the Droid in 2009, it was preinstalled on my HD2, and the best version I'd used came preinstalled on my Epic 4G was the best I'd used (although I utlimately returned the phone).

So, I picked up a Vibrant in February...and was disappointed, whatever version was installed just didn't seem as accurate. Then I upgraded to Froyo, and it got even worse. It often doesn't even get close to what I'm trying to type, and it always wants to insert my contact names instead of real words (irritating when you've got your Facebook account linked with lots of names in it), and when I change it, it always has that pop up telling me the word I wanted was "hidden". Thanks, Swype, I know that, I don't need you to tell me every time (yes I have tips disabled).

I've messed with the settings, but it doesn't seem to be getting better. Is anyone else seeing this, or is my phone just acting up for some reason?
Deeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
TheInternet1980
Golden Member

I tried swype for 5 minutes. (Build included with a stock G2) I hated each and every one of those minutes. I'm more accurate with the stock keyboard/auto-correct than anything else, including swype/swiftkey
Old 03-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
rudeguy
Lifer

I tried it a ton of times and never quite got used to it. Its a great idea that fails by just enough to make it unusable.

I've been using SwiftKey for a while and like it enough to deal with it.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
Deeko
Lifer

Well that's the thing..Swype isn't for everyone, but I'm in the camp that's always been able to use it pretty well. Its just the latest versions on the Vibrant seem...off.
Deeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
YoungGun21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeko View Post
Alright, maybe I'm crazy, but is Swype getting worse with each version?

I've been using Swype since its original beta on the Droid in 2009, it was preinstalled on my HD2, and the best version I'd used came preinstalled on my Epic 4G was the best I'd used (although I utlimately returned the phone).

So, I picked up a Vibrant in February...and was disappointed, whatever version was installed just didn't seem as accurate. Then I upgraded to Froyo, and it got even worse. It often doesn't even get close to what I'm trying to type, and it always wants to insert my contact names instead of real words (irritating when you've got your Facebook account linked with lots of names in it), and when I change it, it always has that pop up telling me the word I wanted was "hidden". Thanks, Swype, I know that, I don't need you to tell me every time (yes I have tips disabled).

I've messed with the settings, but it doesn't seem to be getting better. Is anyone else seeing this, or is my phone just acting up for some reason?
I completely agree. Especially with the bolded. I've just gone back to the standard android keyboard on my Fascinate, but I'm looking for something else.
YoungGun21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
QueBert
Lifer

I have a Swipe beta that no longer works, but I cannot uninstall it to install the latest beta. I searched my phone with Astro for anything with swype in the name, and nothing comes up. It won't let me installing the latest version without removing the old one 1st.

I'm wondering how this program has been in beta for what seems like 2 straight years and it's still buggy. I'm using Swiftkey now.

They're not usually like hot-hot, but they're like hit it and quit it able.
QueBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
Fingolfin269
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueBert View Post
I have a Swipe beta that no longer works, but I cannot uninstall it to install the latest beta. I searched my phone with Astro for anything with swype in the name, and nothing comes up. It won't let me installing the latest version without removing the old one 1st.

I'm wondering how this program has been in beta for what seems like 2 straight years and it's still buggy. I'm using Swiftkey now.
I went from SwiftKey to Swype and haven't had any problems. Loved Swiftkey unless I tried to type a response to the forums. For some reason the damn thing lagged out like crazy on my EVO. Sometimes like 2 second delays between key presses.
Fingolfin269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
kaerflog
Golden Member

My problem with swype is that sometimes the finger tend to block the next letter you are trying to go to.
kaerflog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
vshah
Lifer

its still the fastest keyboard for me on my nexus one. i have the sliders for the popup frequency set to absolute mininum though.
XBL: the4ner85
vshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
BigSmooth
Lifer

I started using the beta close to a year ago and I've also noticed a slight decrease in accuracy on my Gingerbread N1 over the last few versions. However, I do think part of that is me having gotten more comfortable with Swype - I think I try to type very fast with it these days, and that's what causes more "errors". If I slow down a bit it seems nearly as accurate as it used to.
It seems like you are having more problems than that, though - mine is always "close" but it sometimes gives me an obscure word (or contact name) instead of the obvious, common choice.

I still like Swype a lot. I can't really use traditional keyboards very well any more.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #11
simonizor
Golden Member

It's an ok idea, but I hate it. I always miss the letter that I want when I'm dragging my finger. I'd rather just use both my thumbs.
simonizor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
AFurryReptile
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeguy View Post
I tried it a ton of times and never quite got used to it. Its a great idea that fails by just enough to make it unusable.

I've been using SwiftKey for a while and like it enough to deal with it.
I'm in the same boat. SwiftKey is decent, but it has some annoying quirks that have me looking.

I'm hoping the Gingerbread keyboard is good. I won't bother to update to CM7 until it's in release status.
AFurryReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #13
iahk

i'm 100% fine with swype. they just need to let you delete some of the words that come in the dictionary though. wtf is an utas?!?!?!
iahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #14
sjwaste
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueBert View Post

Swype is in two locations (at least on the Evo, YMMV):

/system/app/Swype.apk
/system/lib/libSwype.so

You have one of those lingering. Delete them. Do you have a rooted phone and do you know how to use adb?
sjwaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #15
JS80
Lifer

When the swype beta first came out I installed it and loved it. After it expired, I went back to the regular keyboard until I figured out how to install the new one. Then I hated it. It wouldn't do anything right.

Now I use a paid version of Swiftkey and LOVE it.
JS80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #16
s44
Diamond Member

I don't know if it's compatible with your Vibrant, but the version on the Fascinate Froyo leak (EB01) is by far the best version I've tried. Much better than the current beta -- the thing even has a nice selection cursor!

edit -- have you tried tweaking the ask/don't ask and speed/accuracy sliders?

Last edited by s44; 03-30-2011 at 08:23 PM.
s44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:05 AM   #17
Anneka

I have 1st used skype a long time ago (in 2009 if i remember well) and after that made a break from it until now (a few weeks ago) . Don't know why are u suggesting things are on a down slop.
My 1st reaction was wooow. Is this that old speak program!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:13 AM   #18
DisgruntledVirus
Lifer

I'm a fan of Swype, but there are minor annoyances that have cropped up since I first started using it. It could be partially because I'm getting used to it or something, but my perception is that it's added features I've wanted but at the cost of losing the original enjoyability of the app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texashiker View Post
So dont hate on me for jumping to conclusions without the reading the whole story.
DisgruntledVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #19
jonks
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaerflog View Post
My problem with swype is that sometimes the finger tend to block the next letter you are trying to go to.
Ah, you had the same problem I did but I figured it out. Don't look for the letter, just 'use the force' like when you type on a full keyboard. You don't look for the letter then, right? Just drag your finger around the keyboard to where you approximate the letter is.

When I started I kept trying to peak around my finger to see where I was going. Don't.

I hated Swype when I tried it and now kinda love it.
jonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:27 AM   #20
Anneka

Oh come one people-correct me when I'm tired and read only half of the words....
Didn't anybody noticed that i read Skype instead of Swype.......
Srry for that off topic post.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #21
hanoverphist
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonks View Post
Ah, you had the same problem I did but I figured it out. Don't look for the letter, just 'use the force' like when you type on a full keyboard. You don't look for the letter then, right? Just drag your finger around the keyboard to where you approximate the letter is.

When I started I kept trying to peak around my finger to see where I was going. Don't.

I hated Swype when I tried it and now kinda love it.
i had the same problem when i started using it. unfortunately, i have a lot of brain farts and forget what im typing. so i still found myself looking at the letters. i tried it for a week and a day before switching back. it frustrated me more than it should, and im sure it was all operator errors.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:27 PM   #22
Nvidiaguy07
Platinum Member

Quote:
when I change it, it always has that pop up telling me the word I wanted was "hidden". Thanks, Swype, I know that, I don't need you to tell me every time (yes I have tips disabled).
ARGHHHH!!! this is the worst.

Although with the latest version of serendipity on my captivate I havent really noticed it.

I still will always love swype, i honestly cant use anything else.
Nvidiaguy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #23
vshah
Lifer

they've reduced the hidden word dialog a lot with the latest betas
XBL: the4ner85
vshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:50 AM   #24
Anneka

Didn't even seen that!
Old 04-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #25
KevinH
Diamond Member

Quote:
Well that's the thing..Swype isn't for everyone, but I'm in the camp that's always been able to use it pretty well. Its just the latest versions on the Vibrant seem...off.
I don't know if it was the phone or the version of Swype but I downloaded the latest version to install on my Hero and the stock one found on the Epic blew it away.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote