· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 03-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
CzYaZnMaN1213

Default Asus rampage iii gene booting from sleep mode

Hi everyone,

I'm having some issues when my computer goes into sleep mode. It won't wake up when I press my keyboard or mouse, and if I click the power button it will boot from the beginning(asking me if i want to safe boot or start windows normally). Everything else is working fine except for the sleep mode.

I recently built my system and the specs are below.

Processor: core i7 950
Mother board: Asus rampage iii gene
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600 (4gb x 3)
Video card: Evga gtx 570

Any suggestions or comments would be helpful. Thanks!
CzYaZnMaN1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
Zap
Super Moderator
Off Topic
Elite Member

Couple thoughts...

Overclocked? If so, try at default speeds.

Clear BIOS and re-enable S3 sleep. You may also need to specifically enable wake on USB, and you may need to toggle the legacy USB keyboard/mouse option.

Do you have a lot of USB devices? Maybe you are overpowering the 5VSB. Not positive, but I think standby relies on the 5VSB rail of the PSU. What PSU are you using?

How many drives? Maybe it has problems spinning them all up again? If you have a bunch of drives, you can test with just the boot drive to see if the problem goes away.

SSD turns duds into studs. (JBT)
Zap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
CzYaZnMaN1213

It's not overclocked. It's been running at stock settings. I have a corsair 850W power supply.

I just have 1 hard drive, 1 dvd burner, front bay for the sound card, 1 usb keyboard and 1 usb mouse. I did't know I had to specifically enable wake on USB.

I will take a look and see if the option is available in the bios.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
CzYaZnMaN1213

I messed around in the bios and I was unsuccessful at solving the problem. I'm not sure what's going on exactly. When I try to go into sleep mode sometimes it would show the blue screen of death. So I did the memtest and the memories are fine.

I forgot to mention that I have a creative x-fi FPS series sound card. Some interesting things I found was whenever I go into sleep mode and reboot, the settings for my sound card gets reverted back to default settings. Also when I try to do the auto update for the creative sound card, it says it can't find any product.

Is the the sound card causing all this problem?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
mnemonic

I had the same problem with my system. It had to do with having a large hard drive. Microsoft released a patch for Windows 7.

I'm not sure where the patch is now, but if you install Windows 7 SP1, it includes it by default, so I'd recommend installing that if you haven't already.
mnemonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
Zap
Super Moderator
Off Topic
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzYaZnMaN1213 View Post
Is the the sound card causing all this problem?
I don't know, since I use onboard these days. You can try uninstalling the software and removing the card to see if the problem is resolved.

SSD turns duds into studs. (JBT)
Zap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
SlitheryDee
Lifer

I was having a similar problem a couple weeks ago. I discovered that my windows power settings had the PC going into hibernate a short time after going to sleep. For some reason, the computer was treating the hibernate mode as a power off, but without a proper windows shut down. Disabling hibernate in power settings made the computer stay in sleep mode. There are lots of stuff that can cause sleep mode to malfunction, but it's worth a look.

Official Member of The Predator > Terminator Club.
SlitheryDee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
mb103051

I have found sometimes its a bios issue try a different bios if you think all other possibilities are covered..on my dfi board its always been a bios issue...if your running the latest then go back a couple and try it...like i said many times its a bios glitch...i always contact tech support when i find the issue is bios...they pass on the info to the bios team and waalaa, next bios works fine.....try it you have nothing to loose..
just email them with the info...if it is bios alot of people usually complain about it...
mite try a post on hardforum as they have an asus rep and you can pm him....
ATI 4850 512mg video card
lian li pc-a17b case
OCZ 700w fatality p/supply
2/120mm intake fan 107cfm
1/120mm exhaust fans/leds
1 WD ssd 128gig
1 wd 750 gig black hd
1 wd 250 gig hd backup
windows 7 64bit home premium
asus dvd/cd burner
20in lg lcd display
mb103051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
CzYaZnMaN1213

I have tested everything and it still gives me the same problem. I installed all the windows update including service pack 1 and changed settings in the bios. I think there are some problems with the motherboard and the memory, so I decided to RMA them.

Last time I checked, I think Gskill ripjaws are compatible with the Asus rampage iii gene motherboard, correct?
Old 03-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
Athadeus

As long as it is unregistered, non-ECC DDR3, it should be compatible with that board.

I have the same board, same brand and speed memory (maybe same exact model), and a related but different issue with sleep. I decided to call Asus tech support, and the guy I talked to seemed very knowledgeable, and concluded that an RMA was probably necessary. However, I have chosen to ignore the issue and never use sleep mode for the time being (hibernate works fine) since everything else is good.

What RMA method are you using? Let me know how it goes for you please.
Athadeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #11
CzYaZnMaN1213

Good to know someone has a similar setup. What kind of issues are you having? Every time my computer goes to sleep/hibernate mode it shows BSOD. It works fine when I don't let it go to sleep mode. I think once or twice my computer crashed randomly.

I bought my board from newegg. So I just went through their RMA system. I tried going through Asus tech support, but it was horrible. I'm not sure if you had the same experience as me. First day I called, I was on the phone for hour or two never got through. 2nd day, same thing. 3rd day, I got through after 40 mins of waiting, then the lady tells me to hold on and redirects me to the desktop division. So i called again and the guy tells me to do the basic routine which I've already covered. I checked Newegg reviews, and it seemed like lot of people had the same issue.

Last edited by CzYaZnMaN1213; 03-04-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #12
Athadeus

I would say my issue is stranger, but very reproducible on my system.

This is the RAM I have, F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ. $145 like 8 months ago, stupid pricing.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231225

The only problem I have, stock or OCed, is that after I wake my computer from sleep mode, my PS2 keyboard does not work. However, the more annoying problem is that when I go to shutdown/restart my computer to get my KB working again, it will not complete the shutdown (sticks with Windows logo and shutdown message screen). After forcing a restart, the Intel NIC has vanished from device manager (even though enabled in BIOS), and it will not come back until I clear CMOS (and I really have no interest in a computer without internet access).

I called a number labeled specifically as Asus NA Motherboard Support at 1-812-282-2787, only had to wait a couple of minutes, and talked to a man named David who sounded like an American. He said it sounded like a problem with the southbridge chipset, and that he had many years of experience and had seen things like that before.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #13
mb103051

im tellin you its bios issues..try another bios...every time ive had sleep problems its been related to bios as long as your settings in bios and win 7 are correct.....
ATI 4850 512mg video card
lian li pc-a17b case
OCZ 700w fatality p/supply
2/120mm intake fan 107cfm
1/120mm exhaust fans/leds
1 WD ssd 128gig
1 wd 750 gig black hd
1 wd 250 gig hd backup
windows 7 64bit home premium
asus dvd/cd burner
20in lg lcd display
mb103051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #14
CzYaZnMaN1213

Sorry for the late update. I fixed my computer. After updating the bios the problem didn't go away. Couple days later, I was faced with another issue. I couldn't go past the login screen. It was stuck at "Please wait..." for about a minute or two and then it would restart. I was able to login to my account at random intervals. So I did a disc check and Voila! 1/3 of the way, it throws a BSOD! So, I called newegg and requested a new hdd. After receiving the hdd, I did a clean install and my computer was fixed! Now my computer can go to sleep mode and wake up normally! Everything else is fine!

Athadeus, if you still have some problems with your setup, let me know. I will do my best to help out.

Thank you everyone for your help I appreciate it.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #15
Athadeus

I seriously doubt my problem is going to go away without an RMA, which I'm not willing to do without advanced RMA option, which may be available. I was planning on getting some sort of SB setup when socket 2011 comes out, then RMAing it and selling the replacement.

I also am now using a SF based SSD, which may cause more problems than before when I didn't have it, since many of those have had sleep issues with many firmware revs.