· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-23-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
Bman123
Platinum Member

Default easiest way to root optimus v?

I looked online

Last edited by Bman123; 02-25-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Bman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
s44
Diamond Member

Guess you never looked at the device forums I pointed you at. It's a sticky at the very top of the Android Central one.
s44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
Bman123
Platinum Member

Yes I actually did look at that but I was looking for a easy one click root like unrevoked or z4root
Old 02-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
soulcougher73
Diamond Member

Ive briefly researched this for my new V but i dont think a one click set up has been built yet. Its possible if you read the android central forum but i think its about 5 steps but they said it doesnt really take long. maybe 10 mins tops including downloading apps you need. Im going to hold out a bit longer until the ROMS are more established i think.

Political Correctness: A doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Mike Gayner: Partisanship is the most retarded aspect of politics because it forces you to leave your brain at the door.
soulcougher73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
Bman123
Platinum Member

I watched someone do it on a youtube video but when I tried it didn't work
Old 02-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
Bman123
Platinum Member

Well I'm gonna have to do it the long way then, time to find a good rom that focuses on speed
Old 02-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
Bman123
Platinum Member

If I root with super one click and keep the stock rom do I need to install a backup app our a recovery program?

Last edited by Bman123; 02-24-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
Bman123
Platinum Member

nevermind

Last edited by Bman123; 02-24-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
Bman123
Platinum Member

I've got a different idea now after some thinking, I really don't want to brick my phone so can i do this instead. Root the phone, install super user, install my cpu over clocking app and be fine? If I don't install a custom rom or kernel and leave the stock one on the phone and use it I shouldn't need to backup or do any kind of recovery software right?

I'm thinking of doing this until I read up more and get comfortable with installing a rom
Old 02-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
jae

Its super easy just take your time.. install your drivers, download all the software listed into a folder in the root of your harddrive (C), follow the steps slowly.. u can even just copy and paste the commands line by line.
jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #11
Bman123
Platinum Member

I really want to just do the cpu overclocking the most to make the phone faster, the phone is fine but more speed would be better lol. If I root with super one click install super user and cpu overclocking atop will I need to back up anything since there is not a rom going on the phone since I'm sticking with the stock rom
Old 02-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #12
RavenSEAL
Diamond Member

I just got mine, and it's ridiculously super snappy. As quick to respond as my friends' G2 if you ask me.
AMD X6 1090T @ 3.8GHz Cooled by CM Hyper212+ P/P | Sapphire AMD HD6870 Vapor-X Crossfire @ 930/1150 | Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 | 8GBs Patriot G2 DDR3-1600Mhz | Corsair FORCE 3 90GB SSD | 1TB WD RAID0 | Antec HCG-750 | CM HAF 932

Lonely HeatWare

RavenSEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #13
Bman123
Platinum Member

I found a one click method that roots, installs all necessary drivers, and puts a custom recovery on your phone that will let you back up all your info and flash custom roms. I found a custom rom that is the stock virgin mobile rom with all the bloat ware removed. None of those crappy VM apps are on the phone. When you start the phone the stupid virgin mobile splash screen and sound is totally gone. It goes from saying LG to android.

This was super easy to do. The rom has a overclockable kernal also. I overclocked my cpu from 600mhz to 760mhz and it is way smoother, alot faster now. I can text and the phone keeps up with me, even when I use swype. If interested let me know and I can post the links to where I got this info from.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #14
RavenSEAL
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman123 View Post
I found a one click method that roots, installs all necessary drivers, and puts a custom recovery on your phone that will let you back up all your info and flash custom roms. I found a custom rom that is the stock virgin mobile rom with all the bloat ware removed. None of those crappy VM apps are on the phone. When you start the phone the stupid virgin mobile splash screen and sound is totally gone. It goes from saying LG to android.

This was super easy to do. The rom has a overclockable kernal also. I overclocked my cpu from 600mhz to 760mhz and it is way smoother, alot faster now. I can text and the phone keeps up with me, even when I use swype. If interested let me know and I can post the links to where I got this info from.
sure, i wouldn't mind taking a peek.
AMD X6 1090T @ 3.8GHz Cooled by CM Hyper212+ P/P | Sapphire AMD HD6870 Vapor-X Crossfire @ 930/1150 | Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 | 8GBs Patriot G2 DDR3-1600Mhz | Corsair FORCE 3 90GB SSD | 1TB WD RAID0 | Antec HCG-750 | CM HAF 932

Lonely HeatWare

RavenSEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #15
Bman123
Platinum Member

Here is the link to the page that has the simple root and recovery tool all in one
http://forum.androidcentral.com/opti...-root-too.html

Here is a link to the thread on the rom that I used
http://forum.androidcentral.com/opti...-beta-2-a.html

If you do it I just ask you sign up to that website as it is very useful and give the guys thanks for putting that stuff on there. I looked forever and all over trying to find a good legit recovery for this phone and he just posted it today. You'll see my name is on there as the first post under his for the recovery and I post on page 25 of the rom.

There is other roms there also, there is a 2.3 gingerbread rom and a couple others. I just went with the stock virgin mobile one without the bloatware as I like the phone the way it is, I just wanted to overclock my cpu and get rid of the junk apps.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #16
Bman123
Platinum Member

I can only get my cpu to be stable at 780mhz but that is a darn good jump in speed It is very noticeable also. Everything is way smoother and feels snappy now. If you like the phone now wait til you get a decent overclock on it and you will love it.

If you need any help you can email me thru my profile and it will go to my Optimus v and I can respond right away and help you out if you need it. That site is very good and has alot of good info on it. You'll probably enjoy hanging out there as the people there aren't pricks like most of the guys over at XDA
Old 03-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #17
bswann

Ok, I downloaded Romtools and Recovery flasher and the rom you used but, I am not sure on what to do now. Do I use both programs? if yes which one do I use first? I know I have to put the rom in the rom folder. All I want is to remove the bloatware and maybe overclock.
bswann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #18
sjwaste
Diamond Member

You are better off finding help at XDA.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=935312
sjwaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:26 AM   #19
bswann

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjwaste View Post
You are better off finding help at XDA.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=935312
I know but, bman123 can answer these questions too. I now know I can just use ROMTools to do all of this but, in what order? Do I do the recovery first then the flash or vice versa and does the phone need to be connected the whole time? with debugging?
Old 03-10-2011, 01:04 AM   #20
Bman123
Platinum Member

Use debugging first, then do the recovery, make a back up from within the recovery, after that flash your custom rom
Old 03-10-2011, 01:25 AM   #21
bswann

Ok, Thank you
Old 03-15-2011, 02:08 AM   #22
jrichrds
Platinum Member

ROMTools made it very easy to get the custom recovery onto the phone, but I couldn't get the "Flash ROM to Phone" feature to work. Ended up just copying the Xionia-VM.zip to SD and installing thru the custom recovery interface on the phone.

Compared to the stock ROM, does the phone take slightly longer to wake from sleep when you press one of the keys after going to stock ROM + Xionia beta 2?

Last edited by jrichrds; 03-15-2011 at 07:15 AM.
jrichrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #23
ashton

Hi everyone, I'm new to this so bare with me. I was wondering what I can do to back up my original rom? For some reason when I go into the stock recovery mode it doesnt give me an option to back up to SD. Does the Romtools or recovery flasher allow that? What is the precedure for this?

Also I was wondering do you guys agree this beta rom is the way to go? I want speed up the thing just like everyone else but I dont want to lose any features the phone already has.
ashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #24
ashton

I ran ROMtools and ran the "flash recovery phone". It finished doing the temp root and then reboot the phone. It rebooted into the regular screen with the 4 stock recovery options, nothing more, no custom recovery menu. To be honest all I want to do is Root the phone to overclock a bit. From what I understand I need to install a new rom to ROOT but I am stuck and can't figure out what else to do? I would really appreciate some detailed help on this. Anyone give me you email for paypal and I'll pay someone if they can help me. I have the Xionia-VM ROM and the original VM ROM for back up)

Update: Found out I needed to rename the image file called "recovery" to "vrecovery" in the ROMtools folder then after that the temp root installed and it rebooted into the new Recovery Menu. That should have been advised at the beginning. I ended up finding out from someone else in another post.

Last edited by ashton; 03-19-2011 at 09:55 PM.
ashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #25
ricksta01

Exclamation Help!

I would like to root my optimus v. I am having trouble with the different tutorials! :S superoneclick says its rooted but my phone(according to titanium backup) is still not rooted. pleeeeease help!
ricksta01 is offline   Reply With Quote