· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Hopeless
Golden Member

Default 1993 BMW 325i questions

Looking at getting a used one and these forums have quite a lot of BMW love going on.

Any problems / known issues with them?

Edit:
Mileage is 180k for around $2000

Last edited by Hopeless; 02-23-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

How many miles? Honestly, you're going to have issues with that car constantly. Sunroof rattles, horrible autotragic transmission, onboard computer display will need to be replaced, plastic radiator is prone to cracking, interior leather does not hold up well over time unless well cared for, strut/shock mounts wear out. It's not a particularly good car and looks quite dated.

I'd look for a clean, low mileage E46 myself.
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” -Frank Zappa
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
Hopeless
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMaximus View Post
How many miles? Honestly, you're going to have issues with that car constantly. Sunroof rattles, horrible autotragic transmission, onboard computer display will need to be replaced, plastic radiator is prone to cracking, interior leather does not hold up well over time unless well cared for, strut/shock mounts wear out. It's not a particularly good car and looks quite dated.

I'd look for a clean, low mileage E46 myself.
Thanks for the reply.

Mileage is 180k for around $2000 and seller says he has maintenance records.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
ShawnD1
Lifer

first off are the google results

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...&wa=wsignin1.0
Quote:
Engine
Significant Problems
Common problems on this vehicle are failures of the Fuel Pressure Regulator, the Ignition Coils and the EPROM in the ECM. These failures apply to the 325i only. Failure of the Fuel Pressure Regulator or the Ignition Coils will prevent the vehicle from starting.The cost to repair the Fuel Pressure Regulator is estimated at $73.90 for parts and $26.00 for labor.The cost to repair the Ignition Coils is estimated at $66.14 each for parts (total of 4 for the 318i or 6 for the 325i) and $32.50 each for labor.The cost to repair the EPROM is estimated at $20.00 for parts and $48.80 for labor.All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

overall quality = 4/5
Lots of google results about "fuel problems"

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...28i-323i-2.htm
Quote:
Air conditioner: Air conditioners that don't cool well enough may need to have some of the R-12 (Freon) removed if the system was overcharged. (1992-93)

Automatic transmission: The automatic transmission may suffer from delayed engagement after sitting overnight because the fluid drains out of the torque converter. (1992-95)

Climate control: Small flakes may come from the vents or a foul odor may be present when the A/C is operated. (1992-93)

Dashboard lights: The hazard flashers may begin flashing by themselves and the turn signals may flash at twice the normal speed due to condensation shorting out the circuit board. (1992-94)

Doors: If the central locking system unlocks itself after being locked or locks itself after being unlocked, the actuators could be defective or the trunk lock may need to be adjusted. (1992-93)

Starter: The starter may fail because it keeps running after the engine starts and eventually burns out. The root cause is a sticking ignition switch. The whole lock and switch must be replaced. (1992-94)

So basically it acts just like a Volkswagen. Endless fun with electrical devices.
ShawnD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
Cheesetogo
Diamond Member

Be prepared to spend a lot on maintenance. The E46 as Jules stated is probably a better buy, but even so it's probably going to require a good amount of work over time.
Cheesetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
Demo24
Diamond Member

First year model range of the e36, no thanks. Nothing all that redeeming about it. Not that quick and its going to need some work(bushings, etc).
Old 02-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
reallyscrued
Platinum Member

Listen to these posts.

I bought a '92 E36 myself 4 years ago, became a black hole for money. I had every single problem JulesMaximus identified.

If you can repair/maintain it yourself and like a project car, go for it, but since you're asking on a forum whether it's a good buy, I'd assume it'd be nothing but headaches for you.
reallyscrued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:01 AM   #8
Doggiedog
Lifer

I had a '95 E36 325i. It was fun to drive but it had so many problems.

Water pump, AC (2x), heater, lights, rear shock towers, radiator, door locks, brakes, alternator, bushings, interior lights, fuses, wiper motor, window motor, speakers...I forget how many problems I had to fix on that thing.

I got rid of it in 2005 as a trade in for $2.5K with 113K miles. The clutch was starting to go and the heater stopped working. Fortunately, it was summer so they didn't test it out.

I didn't learn my lesson and got an '09 335i brand new and it's had major problems too. I must have brought it in 6-7 times already. The G35 and GS300 I used to have had nearly zero problems. My MDX had two problems. Old German cars will cost you money if you don't know how to fix them.
i7 2600K @ 4.43Ghz/1.35v, Asus P8Z68 Pro, 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600, Samsung Evo 840 500GB SSD, Corsair F120 SSD <Dead>, 2x3TB 7200.14 RAID, 2x1TB 7200.11, Asus GTX 770 4GB, Seasonic X-660, CM Hyper 212+, Antec 300 Illusion, HP ZR24w, Dell U2412W, Acer AL2416W, Win7 x64 HP
Doggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:06 AM   #9
Kirby
Banned

Project car? Yeah.
Something that you need to depend on? Fuck no.
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
Hopeless
Golden Member

Thanks for the info everyone, ended up not buying it.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #11
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

It wouldn't be a horrible car to have, but it's IMHO more of an $800 car if you're either a decent home mechanic or live in an area with independent german shops

With a car like this you have to do your research on parts, often times you can find aftermarket stuff that's better than OEM (IE none of this 'replacing water pumps twice' stuff) while also being cheaper.
SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
325, bmw