· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-05-2011, 06:47 AM   #1
hans007
Lifer

Default SSD to SSD clone and alignment...

i currently have a 2nd gen samsung PM800 ssd 64gb. its the same as a corsair p64 / ocz summit and a few other models.

anyway, i have had this weird stuttering problem when tons of firefox pages are loaded and i'm pretty sure it is because the particular SSD has horrible random 4k write performance http://www.anandtech.com/show/2829/22 . never have that problem on my computers with hard drives with less ram, so i'm figuring it has something to do with all the little cache bits firefox writes out... causes wierd lag when switching tabs etc.

took me a while to figure it out but i guess at the time i bought the samsung ssd, i didnt do much research and just figured its not jmicron and has trim so i'm good.

anyhow, i was plannign toj ust replace it with a sandforce drive and was wondering if i could just ghost / clone the drive over and still have the proper 4k alignment. the samsung drive has the correct alignment now , so woudl a clone transfer that over? i'm assuming it would if it was a sector by sector copy or something but just wanted to check and make sure. i'm planning to use an old version of ghost 9 or something as i have that laying around and it should suppoer 64gb drives easily.

Last edited by hans007; 02-05-2011 at 06:50 AM.
hans007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
Rubycon
Madame President

You need to verify alignment after cloning/imaging. I know Acronis does NOT preserve alignment and I have to use Paragon Alignment Tool to correct this to any restored image.
Rubycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
adamantinepiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubycon View Post
You need to verify alignment after cloning/imaging. I know Acronis does NOT preserve alignment and I have to use Paragon Alignment Tool to correct this to any restored image.

Acronis' "Clone" disk tool wont maintain alignment, but if you do a standard full partition "backup" and "restore", it does maintain 4k partition alignment. At least it does so with the versions I have been using. Don't know why the difference, but I have restored many backup images to SSD's that are 4K aligned after backup restoration.
adamantinepiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
Rubycon
Madame President

Windows 7 System partitions saved in Acronis and restored were not aligned for me. Acronis 2010 here.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:59 AM   #5
RhoXS

I am using W7 and an Intel 80 GB SSD as my primary drive. I use EASEUS Disk Copy to make a backup clone of it every two weeks or so. The clone is plug and play and boots without issue. The backup drives I am using are HDDs so they do boot much slower.

EASEUS is free and is downloaded as an iso. It burns a bootable CD so there is nothing to install; no precious SSD space used and no services required to start when the machine is booted. It impresses me as an updated version and very improved version of the excellent Ghost 2003.

BTW, the outstanding DOS based Ghost 2003 will make a usable clone but, if using W7, it is necessary to do a quick repair from the install disk to restore the 100 MB partition. Ghost 2003 will boot from either a floppy or a USB hard drive.

I highly suggest, if you go into the business of making clones for a backups, you use backup drives that are not the same size as the drive you are cloning. By using a different size drive you can clearly and unambiguously tell which drive is which when using the cloning application and reduce the catastrophic risk of inadvertently using the drive you wanted to make a clone of as the drive you will be writing to.

On two or three occassions over the past ten or twelve years, having a recent plug and play clone available, made it easy to recover from a disaster in just minutes.
RhoXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
hans007
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
I am using W7 and an Intel 80 GB SSD as my primary drive. I use EASEUS Disk Copy to make a backup clone of it every two weeks or so. The clone is plug and play and boots without issue. The backup drives I am using are HDDs so they do boot much slower.

EASEUS is free and is downloaded as an iso. It burns a bootable CD so there is nothing to install; no precious SSD space used and no services required to start when the machine is booted. It impresses me as an updated version and very improved version of the excellent Ghost 2003.

BTW, the outstanding DOS based Ghost 2003 will make a usable clone but, if using W7, it is necessary to do a quick repair from the install disk to restore the 100 MB partition. Ghost 2003 will boot from either a floppy or a USB hard drive.

I highly suggest, if you go into the business of making clones for a backups, you use backup drives that are not the same size as the drive you are cloning. By using a different size drive you can clearly and unambiguously tell which drive is which when using the cloning application and reduce the catastrophic risk of inadvertently using the drive you wanted to make a clone of as the drive you will be writing to.

On two or three occassions over the past ten or twelve years, having a recent plug and play clone available, made it easy to recover from a disaster in just minutes.
thanks very much for this reply. this EASEUS seems like itll be a better idea than using ghost 10 or whatever i have. thanks.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
Rubycon
Madame President

I had to ditch ghost a while ago since it does not support partitions over 1TB.