Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > The Garage

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
n0tdan
Member
 
n0tdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 149
Question Getting new wheels and using the old tires.

I'll start by saying that I'm completely clueless regarding this topic. That said, I'm looking to get a set of wheels for a 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS which currently has the stock wheels on it. I believe this is what i've got now.

I'd like to get a set of 4 new wheels and use the old tires as one of the wheels has a ding/is bent and Costco will not rotate it to the front for safety reasons. I believe i've got P195/65-R15 (i can verify this later) tires on right now which are pretty much brand new (<5k miles). Additionally, I'd like to get new wheels because these are fairly scratched up from the previous owner.

So the question is, what should i look for spec-wise to assure i get wheels to fit the tires i have on now?

or,

Reasonable priced wheel + tire kits somewhere?

Obviously I'd like to spend as little money as possible. On average i've been driving 10-15k miles max per year (closer to 10k) and i'm not looking for high performance or anything crazy.

Here I see things like Offset, Backspacing, Bolt Pattern, Rec. Tire Size: 205/60-15 (not what i have ) so i'm a bit overwhelmed by the variety...

thanks
n0tdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:06 AM   #2
coxmaster
Platinum Member
 
coxmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Overland Park KS
Posts: 2,991
Default

Bolt pattern is important, obviously, since if its wrong things just wont line up.

If you want to use the same tires then you will need 15" wheels. As for the width, you can easily interchange 195 and 205, there is basically no difference. Just look at the width of the rim/tire recommendation and see if it is close to what you already have.

As for offset, try to find something close to what you already have. This explains offset pretty well and in most cases you really are better off staying with close to OEM offset (I didnt, and now my wheel/tire poke out 1/2 an inch)
__________________
ERAU Daytona Beach 2013
AT Garage VW Fanclub Member
coxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:45 AM   #3
n0tdan
Member
 
n0tdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 149
Default

Hmm, any comments on wheelfire.com? Is it a safe bet that if i choose my car model and a wheel+tire package and it automatically suggests the same P195/65-R15 size tire I can order just the wheels and I should be ok?
n0tdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
coxmaster
Platinum Member
 
coxmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Overland Park KS
Posts: 2,991
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0tdan View Post
Hmm, any comments on wheelfire.com? Is it a safe bet that if i choose my car model and a wheel+tire package and it automatically suggests the same P195/65-R15 size tire I can order just the wheels and I should be ok?
It should tell you the offset and all of that for the new wheels. Either check online what your current offset is, or just look at your wheels; the offset will be marked on the inside of the wheel

Personally ive never used wheelfire so i cant comment there
__________________
ERAU Daytona Beach 2013
AT Garage VW Fanclub Member
coxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
SpatiallyAware
Lifer
 
SpatiallyAware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,960
Default

If it were me I'd do craigslist searches to find a ricer who has replaced his stock wheels with aftermarket..
SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
Throckmorton
Lifer
 
Throckmorton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 16,837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatiallyAware View Post
If it were me I'd do craigslist searches to find a ricer who has replaced his stock wheels with aftermarket..
I agree. Find a set of stock Mitsubishi wheels for like $100, vs $1000 for new wheels.
__________________
K&N air filter = 45x as much dirt in your engine (working link)
http://i52.tinypic.com/50lf0y.gif
"It has already been proven that the concept of a "living wage" is a liberal fantasy." - Patranus
Throckmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
coxmaster
Platinum Member
 
coxmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Overland Park KS
Posts: 2,991
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
I agree. Find a set of stock Mitsubishi wheels for like $100, vs $1000 for new wheels.
Or even just find 1 replacement wheel for the bent one.

Although if you just want new wheels to get new wheels thats good too!
__________________
ERAU Daytona Beach 2013
AT Garage VW Fanclub Member
coxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
n0tdan
Member
 
n0tdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
I agree. Find a set of stock Mitsubishi wheels for like $100, vs $1000 for new wheels.
Sadly, I live in a lower population region and i've -never- seen any Mitsubishi tires on the local craigslist.

For my basic needs I don't see how i'd be spending $1000 for new wheels. looking at wheelfire.com I can spend as low as ~300 for a set of new wheels or ~600 for wheels and tires that they claim fit my car and their paired tires have the same specs as my current tires. BUT, i was hoping to hear confirmation from someone here who has bought wheels before (not necessarily from that website).

Through my own research I think i'll be fine but it is nice to have some peace of mind that i'm not way off.

As for getting wheels off craigslist... I feel at this point i'd be more likely to get some minor detail wrong and end up stuck with wheels that don't fit in some way...

maybe i'm just over thinking this whole thing
n0tdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
n0tdan
Member
 
n0tdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxmaster View Post
Or even just find 1 replacement wheel for the bent one.

Although if you just want new wheels to get new wheels thats good too!
I'm really leaning towards 4 new as the previous owner seemed to be a real curb hugger if you know what i mean... on both sides!
n0tdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
Throckmorton
Lifer
 
Throckmorton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 16,837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0tdan View Post
Sadly, I live in a lower population region and i've -never- seen any Mitsubishi tires on the local craigslist.

For my basic needs I don't see how i'd be spending $1000 for new wheels. looking at wheelfire.com I can spend as low as ~300 for a set of new wheels or ~600 for wheels and tires that they claim fit my car and their paired tires have the same specs as my current tires. BUT, i was hoping to hear confirmation from someone here who has bought wheels before (not necessarily from that website).

Through my own research I think i'll be fine but it is nice to have some peace of mind that i'm not way off.

As for getting wheels off craigslist... I feel at this point i'd be more likely to get some minor detail wrong and end up stuck with wheels that don't fit in some way...

maybe i'm just over thinking this whole thing
The new cheap wheels might end up being heavier than the stock ones
__________________
K&N air filter = 45x as much dirt in your engine (working link)
http://i52.tinypic.com/50lf0y.gif
"It has already been proven that the concept of a "living wage" is a liberal fantasy." - Patranus
Throckmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
techboy23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Default

Try Kyowa or XXR I know those are usually pretty light. and cost effective.

Last edited by Harvey; 01-31-2011 at 04:26 PM.
techboy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:12 PM   #12
n0tdan
Member
 
n0tdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
The new cheap wheels might end up being heavier than the stock ones
For my basic needs would this really be that big of a deal?
n0tdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eclipse, mitsubishi, rims, tires, wheels

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.