· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
Baasha
Golden Member

Default Norton vs Microsoft Security Essentials

So I have Norton Anti-Virus on 3 of my computers and it has worked pretty well so far! I came across a couple of posts regarding how Norton is like 'bloatware' and hogs up resources on the PC.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 and have Norton 2011.

Microsoft Security Essentials, apparently, is claimed to perform better than Norton (?)!

Is this true? What do you guys think of Norton? Do you use it? Or do you prefer MSE? If so, why?

Do you guys think I should uninstall Norton and switch to MSE, which is FREE btw!? LOL...

Exotic Car Madness: UberExotica

For Sale: Corsair ForceGT 120GB
Baasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
theprodigalrebel
Lifer

<--- MSE user (on Win 7 x64 as well)

Maybe I have more common sense than the average Internet user but I don't honestly remember the last time I had an issue with viruses or malware. The best thing about MSE is it doesn't slow your system to a crawl, even when accessing large folders. The newer editions of Norton are also supposedly good at this. I remember a time when accessing something like the system32 folder with most real-time monitoring engines would cause Explorer to slow down to nearly a halt.
theprodigalrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
zCypher
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprodigalrebel View Post

Maybe I have more common sense than the average Internet user but I don't honestly remember the last time I had an issue with viruses or malware. The best thing about MSE is it doesn't slow your system to a crawl, even when accessing large folders. The newer editions of Norton are also supposedly good at this. I remember a time when accessing something like the system32 folder with most real-time monitoring engines would cause Explorer to slow down to nearly a halt.
This. Also there are many freeware programs out there, it's not like you're limited to Norton or Microsoft. I run a Spybot scan once in a while, usually it only finds a cookie here and there.
zCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
akugami
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprodigalrebel View Post

The problem is Joe Computer visits infected sites and don't even realize they are hit with a drive by virus. Not really their fault, they just aren't computer savvy users.

Norton was so bloated for so long that I've quit using it. MSE is arguably as good as Norton or any commercial anti-virus app. It has a relatively light footprint. It doesn't install crap into 50 different locations which you'll have to hunt down to uninstall. And the best part, it does this at a guaranteed to appeal price. Free.

I also run Trend Micro's Hijackthis on occasion. Great tool to see what the heck might have inadvertently got installed and is in the startup list.
That was insensitive of me. I asked you to stop being stupid without considering how extremely difficult that must be for you.
akugami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
Cogman
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akugami View Post
The problem is Joe Computer visits infected sites and don't even realize they are hit with a drive by virus. Not really their fault, they just aren't computer savvy users.

Norton was so bloated for so long that I've quit using it. MSE is arguably as good as Norton or any commercial anti-virus app. It has a relatively light footprint. It doesn't install crap into 50 different locations which you'll have to hunt down to uninstall. And the best part, it does this at a guaranteed to appeal price. Free.

I also run Trend Micro's Hijackthis on occasion. Great tool to see what the heck might have inadvertently got installed and is in the startup list.
Probably the best feature of MSE that you didn't mention is the fact that it is easy to uninstall. Nortan and Mcaffee are worse than some spyware to uninstall.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
Emulex
Diamond Member

mse is the largest footprint software. Malicious software removal has been on your pc for years already
Browser: Dell 530 Q6600 4GB - Kingston 96gb -gt240- hp LP3065 IPS - 7ult
Tabs: IPAD 1,2,3 IPOD3,HTC flyer, Galaxy Tab - all rooted/jb
Couch1: Macbook Air/Macbook White
Couch2: Macbook Pro 17 2.66 Matte screen - 8GB - SSD
HTPC: Asus C2Q8300/X25-V - Geforce 430- 7ult - Antec MicroFusion 350
Emulex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
bbs lm-r

Norton just feels like a system resource hog, MSE doesn't. Even on an old P4 rig with 1gig of ram, MSE was just easy to deal with.
bbs lm-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
corkyg
Peripherals

One thing I rfeally like about MSE is how quickly it downloads and installs updates. This was important when I was linked to the Internet via expensive satellite. The new 2.0+ version is faster than the original.

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
corkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
Chiefcrowe
Diamond Member

I also prefer MSE. It seems to be less resource intensive to me.
Chiefcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
Bryf50
Golden Member

Anyone who is basing there experience with Norton off of old versions should really try out 2011. It's awesome. At the moment the two processes that it runs are taking a grand total of 11MBs of memory.
HTPC: Pentium G3220, Asrock H81 mini-itx, 4GB DDR3 1600
Bryf50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
Ken90630
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkyg View Post
One thing I rfeally like about MSE is how quickly it downloads and installs updates. This was important when I was linked to the Internet via expensive satellite. The new 2.0+ version is faster than the original.
I agree. MSE is the fastest install & setup I've ever done with a security app (and I've tried lots of 'em). And according to A-V Comparatives' most recent tests, it's right up there with the other top-tier security apps in the important areas.
Ken90630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #12
Ken90630
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogman View Post
Probably the best feature of MSE that you didn't mention is the fact that it is easy to uninstall. Nortan and Mcaffee are worse than some spyware to uninstall.
Agreed, although I've heard Norton is easier than it used to be to uninstall. McAfee, however, is still the proverbial hell in a bucket to get rid of IMHO. It drops about a zillion keys into the Windows Registry, so even after "uninstalling" (ha!) the program via Add/Remove Programs or an official "removal tool," you still have to go into the Registry and manually remove a slew of McAfee entries. And some of them will not let you delete them (even under an Administrator acct.) -- they're locked or something. So basically, it's impossible to get rid of it entirely w/o reformatting & doing a fresh Windows installation (or, I suppose, using System Restore if that's practical).

Combined with the fact its proactive detection sucks, and their customer service sucks more, I absolutely hate McAfee. I have friends/acquaintances who ask me to remove it from their new computers, and it's always an annoying task.
Ken90630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #13
postmortemIA
Diamond Member

MSE is decent. I had problem with my mom's PC being infected with one of rogue antiviruses. It didn't detected it. She has limited user account, so malware was limited to her account only. Scanning the executable with MSE did not yield detection.

This is the last "in" in malware world, list of this rogue AVs is huge:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...urity_software

postmortemIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
essentials, microsoft, norton, security